PDA

View Full Version : Civ has baby with R:TW...

Fridge
01-13-2005, 18:24
I'm thinking a cut down (in terms of game period, it would stopping around the medievil age) version of Civ (that perhaps concentrates a little more on warfare, many more unit types for example), with the R:TW engine handling all the combat... Is that the future?

So you start with a random civ map, and your band of settlers (and a family member...) and then, basically, you play a game of civ with all the combat handled 'properly' as in R:TW. If the engine was slightly expanded to include early gunpowder weapons (hey, it's already got the friendly fire code built in ~;)), you could take your civilization from the old 'you have knowledge of roads, irrigation and mining' stage all the way up to the late medievil period. I suppose units would have to be standardised, though specific civs could still have their unique ones.

I mean, I'd play it, but then again, would the combat get in the way for the 'ardcore Civ fans, and would the Civ bit be boring for the people who just want to fight? Mixing genres doesn't always work well in videogames, there's certainly an argument that games are better when they just try to do one thing very well, but since R:TW mixes it up to a certain extent at the moment with the campaign map, is this just the next logical step? I can't think - apart from the zero-nonexistant chance of one game being made using both engines - of a reason why it wouldn't work...

AmbrosiusAurelianus
01-13-2005, 20:01
Yeah, I thought of that idea when I first saw the campaign map. It looks quite like Call to Power's. If you can find a group of people who are crazy enough to turn RTW into a game like Civ it would be the most ambitious mod conceivable, but I doubt it's possible without completely reprogamming the game. Still it will no doubt happen at some point in the future of gaming. ~:)

GFX707
01-13-2005, 20:30
I think Europa Universalis II combined with RTW would be better.

th3freakie
01-13-2005, 21:33
I think Europa Universalis II combined with RTW would be better.

Being those the 2 best games I've ever had the pleasure of playing, I'll give a strong "Amen brother!" to that.
300+ factions worldwide for 400 years... dream-like stuff ~:)

Akka
01-13-2005, 23:22
Since RTW has hit the shelves, I'd dreamed days and night about a Civilization : Europa Universal War...

FURRY_BOOTS
01-14-2005, 10:45
thumbs up from me, ive always liked games where you start with cavemen almost & you have to build your way up in the world.

Anyone got any news on AOE3, i hope its got a 3d map like rome ~:)

AmbrosiusAurelianus
01-14-2005, 19:17
Anyone got any news on AOE3, i hope its got a 3d map like rome ~:)

I didn't even know that there was going to be one! Thanks Furryboots that's the best news I've had all year. Not that that means much in mid-January, but you know what I mean. ~D