PDA

View Full Version : Swarms of "em" Chariots I mean

sps
01-13-2005, 20:55
Good evening all,
I've just finished a rather brilliant campaign against the Romans (Scipii) in North Africa - I'm Egyptian.
I moved towards the west in a rather slow measured way and arrived just south of Thapsus. I tried to negotiate with them - no joy at all!!
Those Romans sure don't like to talk much.
Any way within six months they attacked as I was pulling back.
Nothing for it - turn and run or fight - we stood our ground and prepared for the Romans to attack.
I had managed to build up a very robust infantry force which had a strong element of Royal heavy infantry - but my ace are the very large formations of heavy chariots!
All was set - an open desert plain and two exposed enemy flanks!!
I placed my infantry into the usual tight formation with all of my chariot force to the rear of my left flank.
The Romans closed and are just ready to launch their spears - at this point I get all of my infantry line to charge at double time, We engage and are able to hold the legions - after some time I start to get pushed back all along the line - no units break ( yet ) but I can feel that it's getting rather close to "good night Vienna" - if you know what I mean.
During this initial period I have moved my chariot force right onto the rear of my far left flank and it appears to still be unobserved by the enemy general - he must be so absorbed with the fight in the centre.
Two units are archers - but the rest are heavy chariots.
I am with this force and we move of to envelop his right flank.
We then move up to charge pace and sweep in onto the enemy generals bodyguard! Meanwhile the archers are really giving the Roman right flank a going over.
The Roman general puts up a strong fight with three heavy Roman cavalry units joining the contest - well after a really sharp fight his unit breaks and the other units are smashed
I decide not to chase them and order all units to charge at the rear of the Legionary formations!! The result is now no longer in doubt - the legionary formations just don't know what has hit them and they are also destroyed. So a first class Roman army has been consigned to the Gods and this has left the way open for the capture of Thapsus.
We take that city within the year - I decide to loot and burn as I do not want to tie down the only field army which will at some time need to face another large Roman force. The next spring we move up to Carthage and invest it.
I decide to asault it before another Roman army arrives to dispute the outcome. I take Carthage and do the same to it. I now have to head back east as I am aware of a large build up of Parthian troops just east of Damascus!
But I will be back!! :duel:
Marcus