PDA

View Full Version : waiting out the storm: the roman civil war, without you at it's focus.

Delwack
01-14-2005, 03:11
Just a quick question, anyone here playing as a roman faction ever see and/or manage to get another faction outlawed by the senate before yours? I've constantly checked the senate tab, and found both other factions to be at 1 favor long long before mine, but they still didn't outlaw them after about 25-30 years.

Something weird did happen in that when they finally outlawed me, they outlawed both other factions at the same time in my vh/vh game (I suspect it's some kind of bug, or perhaps they were supposed to be outlawed, but something in the code was stopping them - I feel this one time was a fluke.) but I've never seen the senate outlaw another roman faction otherwise. (even though I tired waiting for long peroids of time.)

I just read earlier on this msg board an instance where a someone playing a non-roman race received an announcement about an outlawing, so I guess it happens but it's rare. If anyone has any ideas on how to make it possible, it'd be an interest facet to look at.

Uesugi Kenshin
01-14-2005, 03:45
Personally I assault Rome asap, the more land I have the better and there is no more worry about being outlawed while campaigning.

As the senate I assaulted Capua and the Scipii became outlawed, due to the all romans allied rule the Brutii and Julii came to their aid and were both destroyed and outlawed. Only time I have seen the comp outlawed and you are not supposed to play as the senate so...

doc_bean
01-14-2005, 12:46
I had this with my first campaign, as Scipii. After i took carthage and Sicily I got caught up in a drawn out war with Egypt (I actually managed to bleed the dry, several of their provinces were rebelling and they couldn't produce a decent army anymore). Because I didn't have many provinces (I had alliance with Numidia until they broke it) my popularity was low, and at a certain point, the senate sent a message that both the Julii and the Brutii had been outlawed.
I took a long while before they outlawed me actually (around 30 provinces i guess).

When I won the Brutii still lived, I thought you had to be the only roman faction left, guess not.

Delwack
01-15-2005, 04:05
hmm my guess then would be the senate will outlaw anyone who grows too big, they outlawed both the other two at the same time again? how interesting.

Kraxis
01-15-2005, 12:24
It could be interesting to become some sort of 'Defender of Rome' or something. It would make for a very good Trait.
Anyway I'm at the moment at an all time high with the Senate, as I'm on the second highest ranking possible. They are wondering if they should just call me founder of Rome or give me the keys to the Vestal Vergins' rooms. ~D So now the race is on to gain that last little shield.

King Henry V
01-15-2005, 17:56
How did you manage that? By doing nothing?

Kraxis
01-16-2005, 12:44
No, by playing the safe game.
I did my missions as best I could (even if they tangled up my alliances, but not always), I expanded rather slowly (that way the Senators don't become scared of you) and finally I made certain that I tried to follow their diplomatic ideas. Alliances here, war there... You know the game, check up on the Senate's wishes.
But I must admit that I was surprised to see my ranking go so high. I have only heard about others getting the third highest ranking, and now I'm a level above that.
Problem is that my holdings, while rather large are only marginally larger than those of the Brutii (Scipii here) and they are vastly more spread out, going from a single province in Hispania to three in North Africa to mainland Greece, a single province in Asia Minor and of course Sicily, Crete and Rhodes.

Uesugi Kenshin
01-17-2005, 04:55
I have gotten that high, I was also suprised, but since the people loved me I decided that the senate had had enough of independance and needed to try serving someone else for a change. The enjoyed it immensly! ~D

Redz " Preatorian Knights"
01-17-2005, 06:48
hell yeah.... you can expand slowly if you have the patience that is?! ~:confused:
But i think the senate or who ever those people that keep sending you to a mission so useless, outlaw those romans who are strong and retain the one who they think they can control(small regions, army, virgins??)

AquaLurker
01-17-2005, 08:56
I was too impatient to wait for that, the moment the people favours me more than the senate I just whack them hard. The senate's army was really obselete by then.

The_Emperor
01-17-2005, 14:37
When I won the Brutii still lived, I thought you had to be the only roman faction left, guess not

No check your victory conditions: You must outlast the Senate, Hold Rome and Hold 50 provinces. After that even the other Romans will have to kiss your Toga!

Uesugi Kenshin
01-17-2005, 23:29
Yeah they tried to do that, byut I smacked them in the head and told them to get me more grapes instead. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM GRAPES! ~D