PDA

View Full Version : Good governors

generaal11
01-14-2005, 13:14
Hi,

I just started playing RTW and I have question. I hope you guys can answer it.

I only have good generals they can`t govern towns very well. So my question is how do I get good governors because I can`t seem to get any good one`s. I don`t hove the money to bribe people. Can`t I train my own goveners?

Akka
01-14-2005, 13:22
Personnally, I found that managing governors was a horrible hassle (they constantly get new V&V, they age, they die...), so I resolved the problem by not using them at all.

Considering how much you bathe in outrageous amount of money in the game, that doesn't make any change.

Fridge
01-14-2005, 13:45
I agree with Akka - make sure you know where your good generals are, and unless you see a city revolting or shrinking for apparently no reason (then check your governor), any sap can look after a city.

But in terms of training, the most important things are temples - governors tend to get priests of whatever temple is in their city as followers - a temple that gives combat bonus will get priests who help with combat, a temple that gives pop bonuses may get priests who increase farm production etc. They'll also get vices and virtues related to the temple as well - temples of Dionysius tend to produce drunken old leches.

The best way of improving your governors is through academies and libraries. Leaving young family members in towns with a good academy will get them good stuff practically every turn. The other tip is don't leave them sitting on their arses too long. Just the odd excursion out of the city into combat can stop them turning into degenerates. That's what rebels are for...

Azi Tohak
01-14-2005, 21:26
That is a good point about keeping them mobile, but why can my 6 managment not make Pergamum love him? No happiness bonus! And he has only moved in about 5 turns ago!

Azi

Ar7
01-14-2005, 21:47
Happiness bonus is given based on Influence, so the more influential the governor is, the happier the town. So influence, or actually the lack of it, might be the reason why your general doesn't make his subjects scream in joy.

Epistolary Richard
01-14-2005, 21:47
What's his influence? Pergamum will only love him if he's got influence and can get all the really cool kids to turn up at his parties.

Leodegar
01-14-2005, 22:36
Just one more thing... It is possible to move retaineers from one general to another (given they are in the same stack), they don't need to die with their master. So when one of my generals grows towards 60, I move all good retaineers to younger generals and give him all the bad guys, like drunken uncles, tax farmers and so on.
Additionally, if you always move the retaineers you get from an academy on to other generals, it is manageable to get for example philosophers and librarians for each governor quite fast. I normaly use generals with real bad vices, who neither make good generals nor good governors, as travellers between my towns to "transport" retaineers.

dismal
01-14-2005, 23:17
I apologize if it's considered bad form to link another forum, but this is an excellent resource for VNV issues:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=18793

Warspite
01-14-2005, 23:48
Family members with bad retainers and/or attributes are also good to send out into the countryside to build watchtowers, if you have large territories in need of them.

--Warspite

Delwack
01-14-2005, 23:53
when I get a billion family members and get those horrid degenerate(s) that seem to have negative everything, I just send them out in a lone bireme and find the nearest enemy fleet to tango with...

Ar7
01-15-2005, 00:06
Wow, that link helped a lot. I also got an answer to a question I asked in an earlier topic, about different types of victories and their effect. ~:cheers:

KiOwA
01-15-2005, 02:11
I've got a question: for factions other than the Romans, does the '(number)% penalty to popularity with the people' actually affect the city, or perhaps even the empire as a whole?

Delwack
01-15-2005, 02:22
the tooltips change when you go to other factions, it ones that usuall lead to unpopularity will instead say +x to unrest or -x to law, and affect only the city they are in (if indeed they are in a city).

KiOwA
01-15-2005, 08:06
I've had non-Roman factions get traits that mention bonuses/penalties to popularity with the people, usually it's part of a vice/virtue and not by itself.

The Stranger
01-16-2005, 19:29
well idid have loads of good gouvernors because you just give him allot of good ancilleries and he will easy be a five and then mostly grow towards ten
i had an medium empire with 17 provinces with all decent gouvernors