PDA

View Full Version : Some questions from a new player

Agrappa
01-15-2005, 12:05
So far have played a Julii short and long campaign and am playing a Parthian short campaign though I have left a sole Selucid region alive to avoid the game ending so that I can carry on. Some questions that I have not really been able to get an answer to - hope people can help.

In the screen showing settlement details (public order good and bad etc) some items are flashing. Does anyone know why?

How important is the General? If 2 armies of the same type, composition and size met, how much difference does the general make? Same with Governors. It seems quite a management load to watch each individuals traits, retinues and make sure they move around, get the right experience, avoid bad traits etc. Is this really so necessary? Do you really give yoruself a hard time by just forgetting this.

Can the campaign criteria be changed so that you do not have to keep a region alive to avoid the game ending?

How do people manage the cash - I find that I keep running short unless I resort to underhand methods. As Julii one method I found was to not train my own soldiers but to just bribe the other Roman factions - I got them cheap and it stopped them from expanding too much. I invest in economic buildings but still need to sell maps like a door to door salesman - there is no doubt I am ripping off the AI! This just seems so - unnecessary. Or is it?

Thanks for any help people can give.

Ar7
01-15-2005, 12:18
I think the flashing in the settlement details is currently bugged, not sure though, but I think I read it somewhere. It was supposed to show something, that may disappear the next turn.

A general is very important, one star roughly gives his troops +1 attack, +1 defence and adds some morale, so a ten star general is really scary :charge:

The governors are not so important, though I like my richest and biggest cities to have one, so they are more happy due to his influence and bring in more cash due to his managment skill.

I don't think you can change the campaign victory conditions, you should have just picked the long campaign in the beginning.

As for the cash, bot the Julii and the Parthians are poor countries, try playing Brutii and capturing Greece along with Rhodes and you will have more gold than you ever can use. So it mostly depends on the region.

Hope this helped :bow:

On another note though......Privet vsem Russkim ~:cheers:

kralj
01-15-2005, 13:12
Can the campaign criteria be changed so that you do not have to keep a region alive to avoid the game ending?

You don't have to quit playing when you win the game. When the victory screen pops up, press Esc and save the game. Then click on Ok button which will bring you to main menu. Load the game you've just saved and keep playing untill you conquer everyone ~:cool:

Proletariat
01-15-2005, 14:33
From what I read in another thread about Parthia, is that you picked a very difficult faction. I remember never having money as the Scythians who have geographically similar territories.

As the Seleucid I can't spend enough. I have around 100,000 and no end in sight. :dizzy2:

What difficulty did you choose?

Kyniskos
01-15-2005, 14:50
If I am reading right :book: , then you're playing a short campaign. In that case it's just to finish the last province off and win the game. ~:) You will then be asked if you wish to continue. Answer yes and the goal changes to that of the imperial campaign., i.e. hold 50 provinces and Rome. Continue playing. :charge:

Blitz
01-15-2005, 15:09
i do not think that the flashing stuff is a bug. the flashing stuff is actually showing what will you get once the building in Quque finish. So if you build market you will see the bottom one will show some flashing scroll or trade. Once the building finish it will disappear and add up to what you have now for your trade

Fridge
01-15-2005, 15:32
There is some bug involved with building ports and flashing trade icons - I think they continue to flash even after you've built the building, though you do actually get the right amount of money. There are many threads on it bured somewhere in the distant past...