PDA

View Full Version : Clash of the Generals is on Discovery Channel

Didz
01-15-2005, 18:18
Just to let everyone know that Clash of the Generals is on Discovery right now. 17:00 GMT.

Features a ficticious face off between Alexander and Hannibal using RTW as the presentation tool.

Didz
01-15-2005, 19:44
I was pleased to see Sir Peter De La Billiere the British General playing Hannibal managed to sucker his American counterpart playing Alexander into exposing his infantry flank and then crushed it with his cavalry.

The American attempted to counter this with a desperatye cavalry charge led by Alexander himself which only managed to get Alexander killed.

There was some nice demonstrations of period weaponry including the sarrissa which according to the programme was used two-handed and under arm and apparently macedonian infantry wore padded linen armour.

rebelscum
01-15-2005, 21:29
Saw it, fell asleep .. zzzzzzzzzzzzz
There is no way Hadrian was a better general than Alexander no matter how many computer battles you play.
:duel:

Maedhros
01-15-2005, 23:08
I think it would be difficult to find generals who fit the personality and style of the period generals. Or do they bother trying?

I'm not certain Alexander would have exposed his flank, he should have been the one to trick his opponent into exposing a flank. Hannibal seems to have gone in with better overall planning and preplanned traps.

Alex the great liked to fly by the seat of his pants, improvising as he went.

Didz
01-15-2005, 23:43
I agree that this was not a real test of Alexander v Hannibal but rather a contest between Sir Peter and Gen 'Chuck'. Even the arguements between Sir Peter and Chuck prior to the battle itself were obviously stage managed to highlight the strengths and weaknesses of the people they were roleplaying.

However, once the battle started it really became a contest between these two generals and I found the different styles of command quite interesting to watch.

Both generals accurately predicted their opponents plan. Sir Peter predicted that chuck would attack with his cavalry against his armies left flank and deliberately made his left flank look weak in order to encourage it. His plan was to lure Chucks cavalry into a trap forcing them to swing wide around his refused infantry units and then hurl his main cavalry reserve into their flank before turning and rolling up Chucks army from their left flank to their right.

Chuck however had already decided to attack Sir Peters left flank with his cavalry, but when he saw Sir Peter withdraw the main bulk of his cavalry from that flank into a central reserve he smelt a rat and cancelled the attack.

Unfortunately, whilst he cancelled his cavalry attack he didn't cancel his infantry attack and as the phalanx lines closed Sir Peter continued to allow his own infantry line to be driven back so that his entire battle line refused its left flank and in so doing exposed Chucks right flank to his reserve cavalry.

Sir Peters Cavalry charged in and began to roll up Chucks crack phalanx units positioned on the extreme right as was traditional. At this point Chuck had a bit of a moan as he believed that he had ordered his own cavalry to shadow Sir Peters and yet when the attack commenced his cavalry were far to the rear where he had left them when he cancelled their advance. By the time they got back into the fight it was too late for his crack infantry who were already dead and Sir Peter's cavalry were able to turn and face the new threat killing Alexander and routing his companions off the field.

At that point it was all over but Chuck insisted on his men fighting to the last.

Basileus
01-16-2005, 01:57
ok seems like i will never watch this heh, everytime its on i miss it :\

Kraxis
01-16-2005, 13:10
Hey... I made this post first (2 months ago or so). ~D
Anyway, it is good to see others have now watched it as well. And the real great part I think is the fact that we finally got to see how real people with good training would do it. 'Sadly' they played their parts too well, sort of "Alexander/Hannibal would do this and that so I will do it".
And while I fully agree that Sir Peter was the better of them (he even hoped that Chuck would smell the rat when he pulled the cavalry into the center), he most certainly had the better position, as well as Alexander was rather predictable when we look at it with hindsight.

daneboy
01-16-2005, 13:21
I saw it as well, I liked the part where the guy playing as Alexander got really pissed about his caverlary attacking. Real sour losser.

Wrangel
01-16-2005, 21:34
Saw it, fell asleep .. zzzzzzzzzzzzz
There is no way Hadrian was a better general than Alexander no matter how many computer battles you play.
:duel:

Am I getting things the wrong way here? Wasn't it Hannibal who faced Alexander?