PDA

View Full Version : Total Realism

turbohacker
01-16-2005, 01:17
I've seen a post about this program, but... was wondering... if i should install it or not.

I like realism, but i find when realism comes along, i also find bordom, the game as it is can be really fun...... but i think realism would take that away.

Although im not sure yet.... but you think i should install it? and if i do, what do i back-up? and will the "cheat patcher" still work (the one that disables once per game cheats)

Thanks

Basileus
01-16-2005, 01:55
you could run 2 copy of rome if you want, one vanila and one with total realism.

the mod is great btw alot of fun, the ones involved have put alot of work on it..i realy love the new additions like corinthian and athenian hoplites that look awesome..go check it out:)

turbohacker
01-16-2005, 02:35
where do i get it, i went to the site and its not there

Simetrical
01-16-2005, 03:35
Yeah, it's tricky to find a download site for RTR. It's just too popular. You may as well wait a few hours for version 5.0 to be officially released tonight. Check here (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/index.php?showforum=53) for a download link.

-Simetrical

lancer63
01-16-2005, 07:36
Version 5.0 has been released already. When yoy get to the TW center forum go to the 'Workshop' section. The DL link is there. ~:cheers:

turbohacker
01-16-2005, 15:42
well i must congratulate all of you for recommending this to me... you have totally F***** up my game.

It will no longer play campaignes. I can play custom battles, but that is all......

NagatsukaShumi
01-16-2005, 15:48
A new option for provincial campaign should have opened up, click on that, Imperial Campaign no longer works with RTR.

turbohacker
01-16-2005, 15:54
yeah, its below custom battle.

I click it, select campaigne, then my faction, then i click the arrow after selecting my faction.... then i get dumped onto desktop with "Rome Total war has encountered an error bla bla bla bla"

So installing this, in my eyes, was a bad idea. But i was looking forward to playing it. Gonna have to wait till 5.1 comes out.

turbohacker
01-16-2005, 15:55
i also noticed (when playing custom battle) the legionary cohorts are invisible when zoomed out. Quite buggy this is, do they test it before they release it?

Mikeus Caesar
01-16-2005, 16:58
I recommend...not getting it. From what i hear, it's meant to be brilliant, but in actuallity is a pile of steaming fresh crap. Just use your imagination and hae fun with the original game. RTW can be fun without all this Total Realism crap.

Ar7
01-16-2005, 18:05
The idea of realism is close to me, but RTR is certainly not worth it. No offence intended to it's developers, but the reduction of speed was really a mistake. As much as it has been discussed before, for me the TW have moved forward to offer a more exciting playing style with the speed increase, so going back to slower battles was not really an option for me. Another thing is, that I may someday join MP, so practising with the wrong speed can really backfire.

Secondly, seeing as my Roman infantry and even the Roman genral ( triarii ) were cut down like little boys by rebel peltasts in hand to hand really made me choose the original RTW. It all happened on M/M and was just plain weird.

So various statistic changes and the changed speed made that mode not fun for me. I am still waiting for historical accuracy so I hope EB will offer a better experience with the original RTW speed and kill ratio.

turbohacker
01-16-2005, 19:06
i agree, im switching back..... i have already seen serveral glitches in the game... that im not please with, the new skins are buggy (some even dissapear when zoomed out)

Message to the developers:

"Thanks.... but no thanks"

Wrangel
01-16-2005, 21:13
I recommend...not getting it. From what i hear, it's meant to be brilliant, but in actuallity is a pile of steaming fresh crap. Just use your imagination and hae fun with the original game. RTW can be fun without all this Total Realism crap.

What's with the attitude? Realism isn't about Hollywood action, its about making the game more authentic.

Wrangel
01-16-2005, 21:25
If someone still wanna try RTR then i suggest you run the 3.2 or the 4.1 (with the no extra building files) But I think we clearly have to say that this mod is in it's developing stage still. It should rather be called 0.5 than 5.0 really.

Attalus
01-16-2005, 23:45
RTR, IMHO, is someone ELSES opinion of what RTW should be...certainly not for all ~;)

Whilst I can't fault the effort that went into this incarnation of RTR or the skill required to create it, I think it takes away one of the most important elements of RTW...speed.

RTW can't reproduce the stressors of battle (neither can RTR)...you are not really going to die if you lose!

With the new speeds and kill rates you certainly feel pressure to 'get it right'.

Emotional response=fun! (IMHO)

Before RTR, ...try this:

http://www.twcenter.net/downloads/db/?mod=307

No gameplay changes...just great looking Romans...you won't go back to vanilla!!

Basileus
01-17-2005, 00:12
the crashes your talking about turbohacker could be from not deleting the map.rvm file, anyways i like the mod and i like rtw as it is thats why i have 2 copy of the game installed heh

cheerio

Shottie
01-17-2005, 00:13
I dont like how everything takes longer to build.

Rodafowa
01-17-2005, 03:37
Call me Blanche duBois, but personally I feel that "realism" is a vastly overrated concept. I can understand why those folks who have actual educations and who've devoted chunks of their lives to studying the period in question get all bent out of shape at the Romans deploying ninja, or gladiators wearing arena-style armour on the battlefield. And I can understand why those same people get a bit sniffy when people say that they like screeching women, or the druid units, or head-hurlers. But the nature of the beast is that at some point you're going to have to draw a line and say "I can accept exactly THIS much unrealism (is that a word? It is now)."

Because, y'know. It's a game. Entertainment. Unrealistic by definition. And personally, I'm vastly more interested in the game mechanics/units/whatever being fun than I am with them conforming to someone's fairly arbitrary notion of "realism".

I really don't care that it's ahistorical that my generals ride horses, and that they're more difficult to kill than the common herd. I don't care that an army could move much further in six months than the campaign map seems to suggest that they could. I really, really don't care that some of the provinces have the "wrong" names. I want the game to feel authentic, in the same way and for the same reason that I want a period movie to feel authentic - but if slavish devotion to realism cuts into the fun, then give me enjoyable fantasy, please.

"Well," say the makers of the mod, "it's not been developed for people like you, but for folks who prefer historical accuracy over balanced gameplay."

"And that's fair enough," I reply.

It's a shame, really, there are lots of little touches to RTR that I like, but at the end of the day I couldn't get past the plodding pace of combat, the complete vulnerablility of one of the games most valuable resources (ie, generals) and the wealth of changes that have been made for pedants rather than players.

Bottom line, if you're someone who had kittens over the way the Egyptian units look in the game, you'll probably eat Total Realism up. If you're someone who's just looking for a more challenging version of the game, then give it a whirl but beware - part of the increased challenge felt a bit arbitrary to me, like game mechanics have been specifically and needlessly added to make your life more difficult (in much the same way that Doom III was made more challenging by the developers deciding you couldn't use a gun and a flashlight at the same time). Personally, I just couldn't get on with it and despite the horrible temptation to give the Britons a whirl, I'm sworn off Total War again until the patch.

Sorry to ramble on a bit, I just hope that was a little bit more helpful to someone than "It's great" or "it's rubblish".

Shottie
01-17-2005, 04:57
That was great. ~;)

FURRY_BOOTS
01-17-2005, 09:59
to me, mods have always been about extended game play, bringing something new to a game many have got bored with, ive plated rtr5.0 & rather think its good, i like the idea of just playing as the romans & a massive map, but not for everyone ill agree. Could it be any less buggy than vanilla! i think not ~;) plus everyones expecting miracles with the new patch from CA, i think were in for a dissapointment guys, i think they wont deliver!
RTR use it or dont :bow:

Fridge
01-17-2005, 13:28
Just my two pence, but the main improvemenr for me about RTR was the change in kill speeds, for one reason and one reason only: It actually brings some tactics back into the game. With vanilla, it seems that any 1v1 is decided within seconds of contact: a few deaths; one unit routs. With the slightly slower attack rates, it means you can actually use units to pin people down so you can flank and your formation and battle line becomes more important. I think people see 'slower kill rates'' and automatically think it's going to make the game less exciting. If you've tried it and still don't like it (and I'm sure that's the case with many people on this thread), fair enough, but if you haven't tried it yet, don't let the words put you off.

Slower kill rates means more scope for maneuvering, more exciting battles and less of those epic 6000+ men five-seconds-of-fighting-followed-by-ten-minutes-of-mopping-up-routers encounters.

The other changes (missile troops are less effective, some units are missing, more territories, more buildings) are again matters of taste, but to be honest they don't seem to have a huge effect on the game.

afrit
01-17-2005, 19:39
I played RTR 4.1 campaign on Medium/Medium and toyed around with 5.0. My biggest reason to try the mod was improved gameplay (i.e more of a challenge), not realism.

I liked the slower kill speeds in battle, although the AI is still pretty dumb. Didn't get to try the ZoR system much (I played Macedon and conquered mostly greek cities). Didn't like the idea of slower build times, new building requirements (Carpenter, stone etc.). It also felt less stable than Vanilla.

BUT, my biggest problem was that it looked like the strategic AI was totally lost with the new buildings. In 10 years (20 turns) few factions had captured anything beyond their borders. Rebels were still everywhere, while my faction was at 20+ provinces already. In Vanilla, the AI expanded better.

So I went back to Vanilla. Which was a disappointment. Now I am just praying for the patch to make the AI better; otherwise, I guess I'll have to take up making my own personal mod to suit my play style.

Wrangel
01-17-2005, 21:50
I dont like how everything takes longer to build.

Me neither, but i think this should be solved with same strategy as in MTW. Which means different time periods. I hate theat the game always is the same the first X rounds.

Wrangel
01-17-2005, 21:52
I played RTR 4.1 campaign on Medium/Medium and toyed around with 5.0. My biggest reason to try the mod was improved gameplay (i.e more of a challenge), not realism.

I liked the slower kill speeds in battle, although the AI is still pretty dumb. Didn't get to try the ZoR system much (I played Macedon and conquered mostly greek cities). Didn't like the idea of slower build times, new building requirements (Carpenter, stone etc.). It also felt less stable than Vanilla.

BUT, my biggest problem was that it looked like the strategic AI was totally lost with the new buildings. In 10 years (20 turns) few factions had captured anything beyond their borders. Rebels were still everywhere, while my faction was at 20+ provinces already. In Vanilla, the AI expanded better.

So I went back to Vanilla. Which was a disappointment. Now I am just praying for the patch to make the AI better; otherwise, I guess I'll have to take up making my own personal mod to suit my play style.

Well iirc the new buildings are gone in the 5.0 version.

lancer63
01-25-2005, 06:42
I´m playing RTR 5.1 and has totaly erased my desire to go back to my vanilla version. No CTDs in 10 consecutive hours of playing AI is better, not by much though, but at least it doesn't send 3 unit armies against my full stacks. Loads of new provinces, which make the game more challenging, the new buildings of 4.1 are gone (hail Hares!!) and enemies are more agressive.
As unified Rome I have spent the better part of 100 years coquering and holding the italian boot which alone has about 6 more provinces, Sicily has 4 now and only the gods and the devs know how many more are in the rest of the map.
+ the skins are better than the regular ones. It's a pretty excellent mod imho. ~:cheers:

The Stranger
01-25-2005, 14:59
I´m playing RTR 5.1 and has totaly erased my desire to go back to my vanilla version. No CTDs in 10 consecutive hours of playing AI is better, not by much though, but at least it doesn't send 3 unit armies against my full stacks. Loads of new provinces, which make the game more challenging, the new buildings of 4.1 are gone (hail Hares!!) and enemies are more agressive.
As unified Rome I have spent the better part of 100 years coquering and holding the italian boot which alone has about 6 more provinces, Sicily has 4 now and only the gods and the devs know how many more are in the rest of the map.
+ the skins are better than the regular ones. It's a pretty excellent mod imho. ~:cheers:

where can you get that mod

Basileus
01-25-2005, 15:07
where can you get that mod
www.rometotalrealism.com

The Stranger
01-25-2005, 15:11
thanks

Shahed
01-25-2005, 17:06
R:TR is a good effort and personally I'm don't think I'll be back to vanilla. I can't imagine how any errors would occur there may be a problem with your installation, but again since you only have to perform an unzip operation. It really should be simple enough. I can't report anything bad about this mod, yet. Far more interesting battles, much more intelligent campaign planning required. Ideal. Only thing I noted is that once you hit end turn it takes longer to cycle through the factions than vanilla. I'd recommend everyone interested to install it and judge for themselves. Of course you can simply install another copy or RTW 1.1 and install it over that.

The best thing about RTR is the extension of the map to include Scotland and further East to North India...and many new settlements that are not there in vanilla. I'm playing as Carthage and there are new settlments in North Africa as well. It's really the game I hoped for, although it's much more vast, and more time consuming. I really prefer it to vanilla. The new units are interesting too, great graphics ! Each unit leader has now a different uniform that the rest of his troop.. and so on....

Wishazu
01-26-2005, 03:03
i love RTR even though ive only been playing it a few days. ive completely lost the desire to return to vanilla sp. however i wont be giving up vanilla mp anytime soon :)