PDA

View Full Version : Which faction should I play next?

R3dD0g
01-16-2005, 03:23
OK. I've won 6 campaigns as the Roman factions, 2 for each faction. Last was Scipii and I had trouble with Dinari until I took Rome and the Italian cities.

Which faction should I play next?

Be gentle. I'm not that good. None of the campaigns were on Hard or Very Hard.

IrishMike
01-16-2005, 03:30
Well its a very interesting view from the Greek City States perspective, so I would recomend them. For a bit of a challange you could go with Parenthia, or Spain. Those are 2 good games.

R3dD0g
01-16-2005, 03:38
Well its a very interesting view from the Greek City States perspective, so I would recomend them. ...

Well, the Greeks were always one of my favorite targets as the Romans, so I think I'll try them next.

Thanks for the pointer.

Back into the fray.

Later.

Red Harvest
01-16-2005, 05:17
If you are looking for a moderate challenge, try Carthage. They are a handful since you will be at war with everyone. I think even the UN and Red Cross declare war on Carthage (was it Kofi 'Cato' Anan who said, "Delenda est Carthago?") To win on the battlefield, rely on your cavalry. And the occasional elephant unit is fun, just don't get addicted. With elephants you need to know when to say "when." Don't become a pachyderm abuser. Carthage will give you a feel for relying on mercs like Numidian cav and Balearic slingers. You won't have archers.

Greece should be a nice change of pace though, hoplite phalanx units take a bit of practice, but once you get the hang of it you will be deadly.

Red Harvest
PA Member: "I'm Red Harvest and I'm a Pachydermaholic."

R3dD0g
01-16-2005, 07:10
Greece should be a nice change of pace though, hoplite phalanx units take a bit of practice, but once you get the hang of it you will be deadly.

Red Harvest
PA Member: "I'm Red Harvest and I'm a Pachydermaholic."
I started the Greek campaign, and promptly lost Syracuse and Thurmon. I've never lost cities so quickly before. I'm finally coming back. I've got all my 6 cities at Very High Tax and they're over 100 satisfaction.

It's interesting though, because I don't know the units like I did with the Romans.

Arrowhead
01-16-2005, 10:30
Be germania. :charge: :duel:

LestaT
01-16-2005, 11:20
I have always thought that the factiom I am currently playing at the time is the best (until after I conquered more than 40 territiries and have a million in the bank). The best thing about RTW is all faction is different, gameplay style, unit formations ect. I've played Armenians using 100% cavalary armies (Generals, Cath Archers & Cath Cav). I've played Germania using Chosen Sword & Chosen archers only (incl General). I've played Romans using all units avialable to that particular faction. And I throughly enjoyed them all.

Haven't played elephant faction yet. Currently halfway in my Spanish campaign using Generals & Scutariis only (with a few baleric slingers & cretan archers whenever I can hire them.)

So far I have enjoyed playing all of them except Egypt. Why ? Guess too easy.

:duel:

Agrappa
01-16-2005, 11:31
Same for me - I'm not so good. After Roman (Julii) I went to Parthia. This was a disaster until I read on here that cash is a problem so go south. A lot of diplomats peddling maps and going after good cities and it was manageable. Cavalry armies are a disaster in cities - the horses get all tangled up in the buildings! Great once you get Cataphracts though.

LestaT
01-16-2005, 11:43
Forget to add. As Armenians, in city sieges I just hire merc foot units specifically for wall climbing, gate breaking and all. Then I rush in all may cavs inside. I'll take loses but retrain them straigh away after the city has been conquered. Then pay the merc and disbanded them.... :charge:

Cant' wait to finish my Spanish game. Probably by next weekend. Then what shall I do next ? Carthage or Nunmidia ? Any ideas guys ? Or Parthians (they have elephant rite ?)

R3dD0g
01-17-2005, 00:31
When playing as a non Roman faction, does anything happen to the unit lineup after the Marius reforms?

Or do you just keep the same lineup?

Are you even made aware of the event?

Barbarossa82
01-17-2005, 00:57
When playing as a non Roman faction, does anything happen to the unit lineup after the Marius reforms?

Or do you just keep the same lineup?

Are you even made aware of the event?

Nothing has ever happened to alert me to the Marius reforms taking place when playing as another faction, I only found out through suddenly coming up against legionary cohorts.
One slightly strange thing is that if you are playing as Seleucids, Armenia or Numidia, and you tech up quickly, it's possible to recruit legionary cohorts (supposedly modelled on the Roman originals) before the Romans can!

Redz " Preatorian Knights"
01-17-2005, 07:43
well you said you played the romans, all 3 of them,
I myself for now have played the romans(which kinda wierd the end movie
is just the same, heck the same general walks in the senate with just diferrent color, and yet I played them ~:confused: :furious3: ) plus the carthage and selucids(greek cast),
I then recommend:::::::(drum rollllllllllll) GERMANS or any Barbaric Nation that is
thats what I'll be playing, hell Im tierd of doing those mtf'ng formations, those anti-sh@%#t thing, cavalry charge :furious3:
its time to do what these game all about, Killing with GUSTO!!!!! the BARBARIANS WAY....

ps.
have anyone reach the time of 1BC.
I mean does the time really ends there,
maybe I should run a thread,
think so? :duel:

dismal
01-17-2005, 15:40
Germans are great for building your TW skills.

Lots of early but not too difficult battles with the Gauls and Britons to sharpen your game.

Your economy doesn't grow much so you can't wallpaper over your limitations with dinari.

You need to use mixed troops and good tactics or the Romans will beat you.

Parthians are probably not the best way to learn good habits. They are tough to get them going, but those Horse Archer armies are too easy to win with (not to mention the Eles). Once you hit Antioch, your money problems are over and it's just a matter of time.

Baiae
01-17-2005, 16:33
The Germans are probably the hardest faction to play in terms of their economy. Not only are they poor but their cities grow s o s l o w l y. They're well worth playing if you can get past that problem though, as they have the high end units to compete with the civilised factions, unlike most barbarians.

Arrowhead
01-17-2005, 18:20
So that Baiae. They can beat even the romans when they get good :jawdrop:
BTW you did see it didn't you Baiae? I PM'd you.