PDA

View Full Version : Testing Reports (P&M MTW)

Eastside Character
01-20-2005, 14:59
Post your reports here.

Regards
EC

SwordsMaster
01-20-2005, 15:04
Great!

Well, as you might have expected, I'm testing Spain :duel:

I'll update the post when i get to my pc. (I'm in college ATM). Its going to be long, so be prepared. ~D

EDIT: tamtatatamtatatam. ~D First testing report:

-The "knights" and "swedish" flags on the custom battles selection have a strange black aura around the bottom.
-Italian corselets and spanish corselets cost should be swapped. Native spanish troops were always more expensive.
-Italian/lansknecht arquebusiers "long range"?
-Corselet missing on high
-Alguaciles substitute Urban Militia from High onwards, but you don´t get both.
-Picas secas and Piqueros have the exact same stats, this isn´t right. Picas secas were a lighter version with greater mobility,less armour and shorter pikes. (sometmes, in times of necessity, arquebusiers would take up pikes to make up for the lack of pikemen)
-Rodeleros have a ROUND shield. I believe, the icon used for encamisados should be the one used for Rodeleros.
-Mounted arquebusiers nave no icon yet.
-Guardia Real should be "elite"
-arcabuceros should have better h2h stats.
-Forrajeros should be beaten even by alguaciles (not UM).
-Guardia real +1defence (IMO)
-Rodeleros are almost invincible. less armour.
-Doppelsoldners are way overpowered.
-The description on the infopic of Guardia Tudesca, was intended for Guardia Real.
-The king´s unit should be Lancers (early) and Archeros afterwards. Guardia Tudesca was included in case we had a special "general unit"(NTW type).
-Archeros shouldn´t charge without orders. They were a special burgundian body trained and drilled for years.
-Gonzalo Fernandez de Cordoba appeared twice in the same turn, once in Aragon as 6*gen, and Cordoba 4*gen.
-Archeros should be more expensive.
-The defense of the piqueros +1.

-Polish cavalry is too overpowered: head on, flat,:

-Kozacy vs piqueros. kozacy lost 28 vs 37 piqueros.
-Petyhorcy make some convulsive movements when attacking in formation. petyhorcy vs 80piqueros+106piqueros (flank) + 8 guardia tudesca (rear).

result: petyhorcy killed 58piqueros+11piqueros+1gt before running away (15men left).

-Oasta MAre: 20 OM killed 40piqueros, losing 8 men.
-Husaria is waaaay off hand.
-Piqueros at about 1/3 of strength can´t even approach them, they run away at their sight.
-Head on combat, Husaria (50) vs 2 units of 80 piqueros, killed 126 piqueros, losing 3men.

I mean, pikemen are the ones supposed to STOP cavalry, this is waay too overpowered. I was using good reliable pikemen with decent morale, and they still didn´t stand a chance.
Take into account that the spanish had some of the best pikemen in Europe at the moment.

My suggestion: either lower the Hussar defence and "fear causing", or give the pikemen the "cause fear to Hussars" as well.

cegorach
01-22-2005, 14:22
Thanks for this, I will think of your suggestions. :bow:

cegorach
01-26-2005, 12:13
Ok I am back after visiting my family for few last days.

Answers

-The "knights" and "swedish" flags on the custom battles selection have a strange black aura around the bottom.

>> Hard to eliminate, but I will try - rather not for the 0.9. though.

-Italian corselets and spanish corselets cost should be swapped. Native spanish troops were always more expensive.

>> OK

-Italian/lansknecht arquebusiers "long range"?

>> Fixed

-Corselet missing on high

>> Fixed

-Alguaciles substitute Urban Militia from High onwards, but you don´t get both.

>> Not possible unless I make them regional unif for everybody, so rather won't be changed.

-Picas secas and Piqueros have the exact same stats, this isn´t right. Picas secas were a lighter version with greater mobility,less armour and shorter pikes. (sometmes, in times of necessity, arquebusiers would take up pikes to make up for the lack of pikemen)

>> Are different believe me, but I will make Picas Secas faster than ordinary spanish pikemen

-Rodeleros have a ROUND shield. I believe, the icon used for encamisados should be the one used for Rodeleros.
-Mounted arquebusiers nave no icon yet.
-Guardia Real should be "elite"
-arcabuceros should have better h2h stats.
-Forrajeros should be beaten even by alguaciles (not UM).
-Guardia real +1defence (IMO)
-Rodeleros are almost invincible. less armour.
-Doppelsoldners are way overpowered.
-The description on the infopic of Guardia Tudesca, was intended for Guardia Real.

>> Fixed

-The king´s unit should be Lancers (early) and Archeros afterwards. Guardia Tudesca was included in case we had a special "general unit"(NTW type).

>> Not possible. Only weaker factions get figting units for general bodyguards.

-Archeros shouldn´t charge without orders. They were a special burgundian body trained and drilled for years.
-Gonzalo Fernandez de Cordoba appeared twice in the same turn, once in Aragon as 6*gen, and Cordoba 4*gen.
-Archeros should be more expensive.
-The defense of the piqueros +1.

>> Done

-Polish cavalry is too overpowered
-Husaria is waaaay off hand

>>Cavalry will be weaker. Pikemen will be better in fighting it, but still possible to beat.

-My suggestion: either lower the Hussar defence and "fear causing", or give the pikemen the "cause fear to Hussars" as well.

>>Will be weaker, but not much - it is really hard to face more than 300 of them in one battle during a campaign.

Changes will be ready for 0.9. release in few days' time.

Regards Cegorach ~;)

SwordsMaster
01-26-2005, 13:02
GReat news m8! ~:cheers:

AS it is impossible to change the "royal" unit to Archeros, they should at least get a mounted unit, just think about it, the king getting muddy...

Other thing, Archeros should not appear until HIGH. It was the bodyguard brought from Burgundy by Charles V, as many other court institutions.

Are the battlemap unit graphics going to be changed?
I don't really like the looks of the "guardia real". They wear checkered white and yellow, not at all as the pics I've sent you.

cegorach
01-26-2005, 13:10
GReat news m8! ~:cheers:

1.AS it is impossible to change the "royal" unit to Archeros, they should at least get a mounted unit, just think about it, the king getting muddy...

2.Other thing, Archeros should not appear until HIGH. It was the bodyguard brought from Burgundy by Charles V, as many other court institutions.

3.Are the battlemap unit graphics going to be changed?
I don't really like the looks of the "guardia real". They wear checkered white and yellow, not at all as the pics I've sent you.

1. However AI would use it to committ suicide - the unit is designed to command mostly infantry-based forces of Spain.

2. OK

3. Not by me :help:

Regards Cegorach :bow:

Arman
01-26-2005, 22:14
In general I'm very statisfied with mod, the only problem I have now is that I can't bit Danes Urban millitia with cavalry. Neitehr outflanking neither attack from the front and from the rear at the same time does not help. When AI plays for Danes it attacks in deep columns of Urban Millitia. I making traps for them by retreating with Znat, and then attack single unit of UM from from both sides, but they do not run but fight and cause big casaulties to my cavalry even when completely surrounded.
Cegorach could you check what are their settings, might be there is some mistake. Otherwise I have to develop another tactic.

cegorach
01-27-2005, 13:27
Urban Militia stats - charge 2, melee 2, defense 2, armour 2, morale 0 +armour piercing and +2 to attack and +1 to defense vs. cavalry.

Against Znat they have 6 melee and 3 defense - they have halberds so are good vs. armoured cavalry, however are still weak.

I'd suggest firing some arrows and then charging.

Also it is possible their general was really good or with good bonus to their morale.

Cegorach ~:)

Arman
01-28-2005, 16:55
Also it is possible their general was really good or with good bonus to their morale.
Yeah, Valour = 3

SwordsMaster
02-05-2005, 20:17
Ok, didn´t have time for a complete campaign, only played a few turns in every timeperiod, and this is what I´ve found:

-on "normal", the starting treasury is 80000 florins. Excessive IMHO.

BTW, is it possible to change the "currency" to "doblons"?

-Line infantry shoot javelins.

-There are some weird brownish squares appearing in the place of some ports: Valencia, cordoba to name a few.

Is it possible to move the cordoba port to Cadiz?

The rest seems quite allright. I like Husaria as they are now. You need a few charges to break a pikeunit at full strength, and it is very hard with only 1 unit of hussaria if the enemy front is broad.

Also, I don´t know if this should happen: the dead bodies just disappear as they hit the ground.

I´ll keep testing and updating this post.

EDIT: further testing has showed:

-THe Diet info scroll needs to be fixed, it still shows the baronial court comment.

-The "generals" button (the sword handle, bottom left corner) appears distorted, it gets back to normal after the screen is reloaded.

- The game is generally unstable. I have experienced more craches/hour than ever. approx 1 CTD every 20-30 mins.

- The diplomatic screen has some problems showing the number besides the kings names (swedes, concretely)

- Scapoli battlefield graphic is just wrong.

Suggestion: remove landbridge: Flanders-England

~:wave:

Ok, a suggestion here: cegorach , could you release the installation folder separately from the panels? and make the panels separate downloads.
I mean, every panel a separate download.

IMHO it would make it a little smaller and we wouldn´t be downloading stuff we are not going to use anyway.

SwordsMaster
02-08-2005, 14:12
-There are some weird brownish squares appearing in the place of some ports: Valencia, cordoba to name a few.

That isn't happening anymore.... Weird... ~:confused:

cegorach
02-09-2005, 09:45
ANSWERS

-on "normal", the starting treasury is 80000 florins. Excessive IMHO.

----------> Some factions will get less cash. I cannot give different amount to an AI player, unfortunatelly.

BTW, is it possible to change the "currency" to "doblons"?

---------> I can do it for the release, BUT not now.

-Line infantry shoot javelins.

--------> They use the entry of DARTS, and because I need 6 types of firearms thay will continue to shoot this way.

-----------> Please send me a screenshot - e-mail.

Is it possible to move the cordoba port to Cadiz?

----------> No.

Also, I don´t know if this should happen: the dead bodies just disappear as they hit the ground.

-----------> I don't know much about graphics to correct it.

THe Diet info scroll needs to be fixed, it still shows the baronial court comment.
Scapoli battlefield graphic is just wrong.

-------->corrected

1-The "generals" button (the sword handle, bottom left corner) appears distorted, it gets back to normal after the screen is reloaded.

2- The game is generally unstable. I have experienced more craches/hour than ever. approx 1 CTD every 20-30 mins.

--------->1. strange, I will check.
2. I didn't experience any. I will ask other testers, because noone reported something like this.

- The diplomatic screen has some problems showing the number besides the kings names (swedes, concretely)
--------> I know the problem. Will be corrected before the release.

Suggestion: remove landbridge: Flanders-England

--------> I thought it is, will check...

Ok, a suggestion here: cegorach , could you release the installation folder separately from the panels? and make the panels separate downloads.
I mean, every panel a separate download.

IMHO it would make it a little smaller and we wouldn´t be downloading stuff we are not going to use anyway.

-------> The panels are only less than 2 megabytes (unzipped).
I think that the installation isn't so complicated not to include this in the download. I will see how the 'customers' see it.

GENERALLY

I have learnt how to add more factions, however for PMTW 1.0 I placed only some in early and the first release will include only these.

Still I can add more in a patch or version 1.1 or something. Honestly I haven't decided yet what should I add in High, Late and partly in early
(which german states).

Presently expect 6 new factions in early:

Scotland, Moldavia, Livonian Confederacy, Genoa, Milan and Florence.
Only one additional unit was added as well ( Knechtsspissen for Livonia), but 2 were removed ( Fanatics and Pavasiers) to avoid CTD.

Probably ready tomorrow to download - there are many serious changes so it is impossible to prepare 'a testing patch'.

Regards Cegorach/Hetman ~;)

SwordsMaster
02-10-2005, 22:49
I´ve been continuing with my High campaign a little, and realized why It felt so strange....

I very rarely have to use my pikes, unless the enemy has a cavalry only army. And even then, he usually prefers a shooting contest (which my muskets always win, of course).

I think the fact that most muskets are "long" ranged, makes the game very unbalanced. Except the fastest units (i mean infantry, cavalry usually get to charg with no prob), everything else gets shot to nothing when approaching for a charge. Example: one unit of arquebusiers and 2 of musketeers vs 2 swiss armored pikes (240men in total). Only about 30 pikemen (in total) made it to my lines. They are a very slow unit, ok, but most infantry suffers similarly.

IMO, if the range of the muskets was shortened a little (about 1/4th less distance or so), the whole thing would fit into place quite nicely.

SwordsMaster
03-13-2005, 14:14
beta 1.0 sent to testers 12.30 GMT today. Synchronize your clocks. ~D

ParthianWarrior
03-13-2005, 22:09
Edit: Fixed

Anyways, Played two custom battles. One as the Persians vs Ottomans and The Austrians vs Brandenburg. Both played withou any major problems, But there's a few issues I saw.

- Arquebruisers/Musketmen seem to shoot this black Arrow like Graphic after firing, Dont know if this is part of the sequence or not.

- Persian Light Cavalry dont carry thier Bows while moving or standing, But they do have Swords.

Other then that, Everything seems fine so far. I'll mess with it some more later.

ParthianWarrior
03-15-2005, 02:16
Update

Playing the Persian Campaign, Everything seems to be going well. Just a few minor bugs such as Different Flags on Armies and Castles. The Proper flag dosen't seem to be showing up for the Persians on the Battle Screen.

Im also expierencing a few CTD'S, I'll look into that.

SwordsMaster
03-15-2005, 02:50
Playing the Persian Campaign, Everything seems to be going well. Just a few minor bugs such as Different Flags on Armies and Castles. The Proper flag dosen't seem to be showing up for the Persians on the Battle Screen.

Yeah, I know. Some flags still need to be fixed, that was expected.

About the CTDs, under which conditions does it happen?

ParthianWarrior
03-15-2005, 03:40
Im at war against the Turkish, Dont know exactly. The loading times seemed to be getting longer as the I clicked for the next turn.

cegorach
03-15-2005, 11:15
Please quicksave every time I don't want to release in with CTDs bugs ~:confused:

ParthianWarrior
03-15-2005, 14:50
Right, I'll do that.

ParthianWarrior
03-22-2005, 01:00
The Persian Campaign is going smoother now, No CTD'S besides that mysterious one.

cegorach
03-22-2005, 11:08
The Persian Campaign is going smoother now, No CTD'S besides that mysterious one.

Very good ~:cheers: ~D

I believe I can know the reason for the CTD - in my PC it happened ONLY when I played a faction in one era, quited the campaign and played another game in a different era.

I NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS when playing one faction for even a very long time. It is pretty weird, but I had no other problems and I couldn't remove the bug - if it is a bug at all - moreover It didn't happen later, even if I changed the factions several times during one session of MTW. Strange...

Anyway please report if you have any other problems.

If notheing happens I will allow releasing it to the public ~:cheers:

ParthianWarrior
03-22-2005, 21:09
Alright, I'll do a final inspection today and play up to 1610 or around there and see if anything happens.

If you want I can check a few other new factions also.

cegorach
03-23-2005, 11:04
It is only Persia what you have tried ?

If you like a challenge - try the Tatars in early they are really hard to expand - with Poland, Russia, Georgia and Moldavia ( Stephen the Great with 8-9 command !). When I was playing them I conquered only 6 provinces in around 90 turns :embarassed: ~D

ParthianWarrior
03-23-2005, 23:19
I Also started a Austrian Campaign, That's also fun. France and Poland look interesting also.

Count, tHe dEmEnToR
04-18-2005, 21:35
Gentlemen,

I said i would test the Portuguese, and i did, but i never wrote the report.
If i'm still in time i would like you to read this :)

I don't know if there can still be added more units to the medieval version, but after several hours of playing the Portuguese i still think that many things could be done to improve the realism and the complexity of the Portuguese faction.

First of all: The Arcabuzeiros de Goa should only be avaiable on the first age.

Second: If the spanish have "Mosqueteros" why can't the portuguese have "Mosqueteiros" and "Arcabuzeiros"...

Third: If possible i would like to add some new units to the Portuguese, for many reasons, but mainly for balancing and realistic purposes.

The Portuguese lack in their own cavalry force. It is essencial that the Portuguese own other cavalry other than the mercenaries.
To fill that hole i tought of the following units:

Cavalaria Nobre (For the first and third period)
Private Cavalry units at the orders of the king. Usually quite well equiped, and well trained. However this units equipment was never as good as the kingdom soldiers. This units served ost of the times as a land guard.
I sugest something such as:
- Medium defense
- Elite
- Disciplined

Nobres Revolucionários (Revolutionary Noblemen, especifically for the second period)
This are diferent from the previous unit in two things: They aren't as well trained as the others since they were the result of an army's reorganization.
- Great moral
- Poor defense
- Great charge

This two unit concepts reflect the actual reality of the Portuguese army during this period. Portugal only created a stable and fixed military force in the end of 19th century. Before that, the military recruitment system was still very similar to the middle age, the king would cal the noblemen for arms, and each one of them would bring it's personal army, so most of the Portuguese armies would be formed by private noble forces, but obviously under the command of a general assigned by the king.

During the Restoration War, this system remained until it's end, the diference during this period was that the king of this time didn't act as a military leader that much, it was chosen to occupy the throne in Lisbon and take the country back to it's independece. However mos of this war was still done by the individual initiave of the revolutionaries.

And now some more infantry that reflects the revolutionary period of the second age of the mod:

Guerrilla da restauração (Guerrilla of the restoration, specific of the second period)
The peseants that answered the "chamamento ás armas" of the king. Large units with very few training, but with unwavering faith in victory, and a will of "charging upon them"! The Piqueiros ligeiros were professional military forces, even if badly equipped, these were militias.
- Great Charge
- Unwavering
- Poor defense
- Great strengh

Piqueiros do novo exercito (Pikes of the new army)
The result of the reformation of the army in end of the restoration war. Well equipped soldiers, an improved version of the Piqueiros ligeiros.

For some reason my mtw crashes when i try to start the Portuguese campaign.

After being so much time away from the total war engine, at this moment i can't make up the units stats from the top of my head, what i wrote under the units name should only be taken as guidelines for the units concept.

Well, are there still unit slots avaiable? I doesnt make sense that the Spanish have som many units, and the Portuguese so few of their own.

That's all i can remenber now, cheers

cegorach
04-20-2005, 17:36
Very good you are back !! ~;)

I can add all the units which appear in the late era. Good info, thanks :bow:

I still need some portuguese heroes....

Unfortunatelly Portugal won't have too many units - it is a mercenary faction and rather not a major one...

Anyway I will prepare a patch for June/July, however RTW has the priority now.

BTW - does the P&M TW 1.0 crashes in your PC, it really has to work - some guys in Poland are playing without much spotted mistakes. ~D

Count, tHe dEmEnToR
04-20-2005, 18:01
I'm almost sure the problems with my MTW are from my computer. I've had many device drivers errors since i reinstalled my os, so it must be that...

The heros are no problem, ive already done a lot of rsearch, i have them, but i don't have time to make a decent post now, i'll post all the heroes info on friday, i wont miss it this time i swear ~:)

Cheers ~:cheers: ,

Edit:

Unfortunatelly Portugal won't have too many units - it is a mercenary faction and rather not a major one...

True, true, i agree, it is realistic indeed, i had forgotten this: a great part of Portuguese armies were actually mercenaries since the 15th century. The already existing units and these new ones as custom units seems just fine ~:cheers: