PDA

View Full Version : needs work: spears vs arrows

jerby
01-23-2005, 20:30
hey,
spear suck, that's clear.
but spears shouldn't suck. arrows where never decideing in any battle, not agincourt, not with the persians. but spears had much more effect.
spear where pretty much armor piercing, or at least shield piercing. and a 5 kg spear is not stopped easily.

suggestions:
- make spears armor piercing: negate all armor effects
- give spears a knock-down, like happens with chariots trappeling their own units.
- to make thureophoi more apealing give them better value's in melee so you can take em off skirmish and let them fight melee against hastati and win ( example)

drawbacks:
-throwing spears shoud have an effect on stamina
- each unit should only carry 4 spear each.

Currian
01-23-2005, 20:51
Well, what you ask isn't a hard task.

But according to my sources, arrows were decisive in the battle of Agincourt.
The english archers shot 10 arrows per minute.

TigerVX
01-24-2005, 01:34
Well, what you ask isn't a hard task.

But according to my sources, arrows were decisive in the battle of Agincourt.
The english archers shot 10 arrows per minute.

Actually, this is wrong. The arrows in truth only did enough damage as in any other battle. The main thing that went wrong for the French Knights was the heavy slippery mud and bottleneck they went through. This caused alot of them to slip and fall into the mud. They couldn't really get back up. Plus the mud was extremely hard to walk in with huge suits of armor and the french knights got bogged down. When the archers rushed with hammers and daggers, the french knights really couldn't defend themselves and were slaughtered.

NagatsukaShumi
01-24-2005, 19:44
I'm presuming that Mongol battles were won with arrows considering their great use of them.

However I see your point that spears were more decisive.

ShadowStriker
01-25-2005, 03:29
spears vs arrows dont work together... arrows ar long ranged weapons how could spearman be fighting ppl shooting missiles at them? I think the spears are perfect

Orb
01-26-2005, 11:47
The English longbows were fantastic weapons and thus if the English had not used them I believe that they would never have lasted for half as long against the French armies that had vastly superior numbers. However, this does not apply in Rome as the longbow is not used. The spear should be armour piercing for historical accuracy.

Orb
01-26-2005, 11:51
Also, though the arrows at Agincourt did no more damage than in any other battle with longbows that still makes them very potent. The arrows would have the same effect on armour as the spears. Also the French horses are not as well-armoured as the man and also a sight larger. The longbows were incredibly effective.

Darius
01-26-2005, 15:49
Also just to clarify something, the armor piercing attribute ignores only HALF the armor of a targeted unit, not ALL of the armor, though it is a good add for javelins as they actually make them useful, I've done it myself and find it was rather worth it. Now I actually use skirmishers again.