PDA

View Full Version : Quotes

hoggy
01-24-2005, 15:51
Quotes – we’ll be replacing the quotes in quotes.txt with suitably sourced quotes. I’ve made a start on this adding more Confucius and Sun Tzu etc. but we could do with more. Please post contributions here.

so far we have:
Al Khalifah - Some of my personal Sun Tzu favorites are:
All warfare is based on deception. There is no place where espionage is not used. Offer the enemy bait to lure him.
Appraise war in terms of the fundamental factors. The first of these factors is moral influence.
Be extremely subtle, even to the point of formlessness. Be extremely mysterious, even to the point of soundlessness. Thereby you can be the director of the opponent's fate.
The best victory is when the opponent surrenders of its own accord before there are any actual hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.
A military operation involves deception. Even though you are competent, appear to be incompetent. Though effective, appear to be ineffective.
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.

Wilpuri- I thought I'd chip in what little I have to offer, so I will give you some Japanese quotes:

The man whose profession is arms should calm his mind and look into the depths of others. Doing so is likely the best of the martial arts.
Shiba Yoshimasa (1350-1410)

-Without knowledge of Learning, one will ultimately have no military victories.

-One should not be envious of someone who has prospered by unjust deeds. Nor should he disdain someone who has fallen while adhering to the path of righteousness.
Imagawa Sadayo (1325-1420)

-No matter whether a person belongs to the upper or lower ranks, if he has not put his life on the line at least once he has cause for shame.
Nabeshima Naoshige (1538-1618)

-Strategy is the craft of the warrior. Commanders must enact the craft, and troopers should know this Way. There is no warrior in the world today who really understands the Way of strategy.... It is said the warrior's is the twofold Way of pen and sword, and he should have a taste for both Ways.

-Students of the Ichi school Way of strategy should train from the start with the sword and long sword in either hand. This is a truth: when you sacrifice your life, you must make fullest use of your weaponry. It is false not to do so, and to die with a weapon yet undrawn.

-In strategy your spiritual bearing must not be any different from normal. Both in fighting and in everday life you should be determined though calm. Meet the situation without tenseness yet not recklessly, your spirit settled yet unbiased.

-If the enemy thinks of the mountains, attack like the sea; and if he thinks of the sea, attack like the mountains.
Miyamoto Musashi (1584-1645)

-Anger itself does more harm than the condition which aroused anger.
Samurai Maxim

-The angry man will defeat himself in battle as well as in life.
Samurai Maxim

-Truth exists for the wise, beauty for the feeling heart.
Samurai Maxim

Some Mongol quotes:

"It is not sufficient that I succeed--all others must fail."
-Genghis Khan

"The Greatest Happiness is to scatter your enemy and drive him before you. To see his cities reduced to ashes. To see those who love him shrouded and in tears. And to gather to your bosom his wives and daughters."
-Genghis Khan

"Not even a mighty warrior can brake a frail arrow when it is multiplied and supported by its fellows. As long as you brothers support one another and render assistance to one another, your enemies can never gain the victory over you. But if you fall away from each other your enemy can brake you like frail arrows, one at a time."
-Genghis Khan

Furious Mental
01-24-2005, 17:00
Perhaps you could recycle the quote used in Shogun as a faction destroyed message.

"Now we disappear
Well, what must we think of it?
From the sky we came
Now we may go back again
That's at least one point of view."

There's more to it, but that was what was in Shogun. Hojo Ujimasa wrote it, before sticking a dagger into his belly.

Sheep
01-24-2005, 18:14
My favorite Genghis quote:

"I am the Flail of God. If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you." - Genghis Khan

And I don't know if you only want ancient quotations or what, but here are some from this century.

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" - Mahatma Gandhi

"A military man can scarcely pride himself on having 'smitten a sleeping enemy'; it is more a matter of shame, simply, for the one smitten." - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto (Commander of the Japanese Navy), after Pearl Harbor

"You can kill ten of my men for every one I kill of yours, but even at those odds, you will lose and I will win." - Ho Chi Minh

"Politics is war without bloodshed while war is politics with bloodshed." - Mao Tse Tung (or however it is spelled now)

"When the enemy advances, withdraw; when he stops, harass; when he tires, strike; when he retreats, pursue." - Mao Tse Tung

"In waking a tiger, use a long stick." - Mao Tse Tung

Sykotyk Rampage
01-24-2005, 19:41
Hi,
My first post...
This mod is excellent. So here are some Demon related quotes.
SKR

Quotes on demons

The gates of hell are open, night and day; Smooth the descent, and easy the way. – Virgil

By means of shrewd lies, unremittingly repeated, it is possible to make people believe that heaven is hell and hell heaven. The greater the lie, the more readily it will be believed. - Adolph Hitler

Hell is full of good meanings and wishings. - George Herbert

I have been deeply aware of men's weakness. I have made myself less powerful, concealed my powers... If you cannot control your demons, you do harm to others. I found the way to cage mine, that was all. Anger, jealousy, revengefulness, vanity, I locked them up. –Anais Nin

I have been deeply aware of men's weakness. I have made myself less powerful, concealed my powers... If you cannot control your demons, you do harm to others. I found the way to cage mine, that was all. Anger, jealousy, revengefulness, vanity, I locked them up. -–Anais Nin

Hell is empty! And all the devils are here. – Shakespeare

Hell is paved with priests' skulls. – Cervantes

Go to Heaven for the climate,
Hell for the company. - Mark Twain

Fear seeks noisy company and pandemomium to scare away the demons. - C.G. Jung

Upon every gift that cometh from the god-sun the devil layeth his curse. - C.G. Jung

God and the devil are fighting for mastery, and the battlefield is the heart of man. – Dostoyevsky

It is the devil's masterstroke to get us to accuse him. - George Meredith

The devil, proud spirit, cannot endure to be mocked. - Thomas Moore

The hottest places in Hell are reserved for those who, in times of moral crisis, preserved their neutrality. - Dante (attrib.)

The descent to hell is easy ... but to reclimb the slope, and escape to the upper air, this is labor. – Virgil

To consider persons and events and situations only in the light of their effect upon myself is to live on the doorstep of hell. - Thomas Merton

Eligor, alias Abigor, is a great duke, and appeereth as a goodlie [handsome] knight, carrieng a lance, an ensigne, and a scepter: he answereth fullie of things hidden, and of warres, and how souldiers should meete: he knoweth things to come, and procureth the favour of lords and knights, governing sixtie legions of divels. -Johann Wier (1583)

"Lust thy first army is called; discontent they second; thy third is called hunger and thirst; thy fourth desire; thy fifth is called sloth and drowsiness; thy sixth cowardice; thy seventh doubt; thy eighth hypocrisy and stupor, gain, fame, honor, and what celebrity is falsely obtained by him who exalts himself and despises others. This, O Namuche, is thine, the Black One's fighting army. None but a hero conquers it, and whoever conquers it obtains joy. Woe upon life in this world! Death in battle is better for me than that I should live defeated." -Buddha's response to Mara's temptations during his time of asceticism:[Mara ("death" or "thirst"), also called Papiyan ("more wicked") and Varsavarti ("he who fills desires"), is the evil spirit (or sometimes as simply the personification of evil)]

-----------------------------------------------------
quotes from religions -edited in length SKR-(demons speaking)

"You are called Bhairava because you are of terrifying features and are capable of supporting the universe. You are called Kâla-Bhairava, for even Time-Death is terrified of you. -Shiva
- Bhairava [is the "terrible" aspect of Shiva. According to the Puranas, it was this aspect that severed Brahman's fifth head.]

"I shall sweep away the Great God in my waters, down to the nether regions." -Ganga -legend Shiva's second wife
Ganga-Gramma is a feminine demon whom the Indians fear & thus offer great honors.

I am better than him (man). Thou createdst me of fire while him Thou didst create of mud. -Iblis (Allah bid Iblis to bow to man, Iblis refuses.

Now, because Thou hast sent me astray, verily I shall lurk in ambush for them on Thy Right Path.' -Iblis to Allah

"In heaven and on earth you roar like a lion and devastate the people. Like a huge wild bull you triumph over lands which are hostile. Like a fearsome lion you pacify the insubordinate and unsubmissive with your gall."
- Inana and Ebih: translation 1-9

"So! You shall die! What is that to me? Your name, however, shall not be forgotten. Your name shall exist in songs and make the songs sweet. -Inanna (Ishtar) spoke to Cu-kale-tuda before she killed him for her rape

At the renovation, Azi Dahaka will be put in chains on Mount Demavand; but in the end, he will break loose from the bonds and return to disturb creation. - (Vend)

This demon can be driven away by specific holy spells, or the gaze of 'a yellow dog with four eyes, or the white dog with yellow ears.' (Vend. viii.16-18)

' I shall take the gods´ Tablet of Destinies for myself,
And control the orders for all the gods,
And shall possess the throne and be master of the rites! -Anzu (taking Enlil magical objects -tablet of destiny)

"You, shaft that came, return to your reed thicket!
Bow frame, back to your copse! -Anzu

"rushed forth from the regions of the North to lure away the Prophet from the path of righteousness" -Ahriman

He will be assisted by his friends, who are fiend-smitting, well-thinking, well-speaking, well-doing, and whose tongues have never uttered a word of falsehood -(Yasht xiii.142).

"With the disappearance of evil from the universe, good will prevail everywhere and for all time; and the accursed name of Angra Mainya will be forgotten. Ahura Mazda will be for ever, even as he has been from all eternity" (Yasht xix.11,12).

-------------------------------
Septem Sermones ad Mortuos.1916

THE SEVEN SERMONS TO THE DEAD WRITTEN BY
BASILIDES IN ALEXANDRIA, THE CITY WHERE THE EAST
TOUCHETH THE WEST.

Transcribed by Carl Gustav Jung. (Edited for length-SKR)

"Abraxas speaketh that hallowed and accursed word which is life and death at the same time. Abraxas begetteth truth and lying, good and evil, light and darkness in the same word and in the same act. Therefore is Abraxas terrible." -Seven Sermons of the Dead-Sermo II

The Effective and the ineffective.
Fullness and Emptiness.
Living and Dead.
Difference and Sameness.
Light and Darkness.
The Hot and the Cold.
Force and Matter.
Time and Space.
Good and Evil.
Beauty and Ugliness.
The One and the Many. -Seven Sermons of the Dead-angels and demons-Sermo II

God and devil are distinguished by the qualities of fullness and
emptiness, generation and destruction. -Seven Sermons of the Dead-Sermo II

The sun hath a definite effect, and so hath the devil.
Wherefore do they appear to us more effective than indefinite -Seven Sermons of the Dead-

It is abundance that seeketh union with emptiness.
It is holy begetting.
It is love and love`s murder.
It is the saint and his betrayer.
It is the brightest light of day and the darkest night of madness.
To look upon it, is blindness.
To know it, is sickness.
To worship it, is death.
To fear it, is wisdom.
To resist it not, is redemption.
-Seven Sermons of the Dead-Sermo I

Whereupon the dead were silent and ascended like the smoke above the herdman`s fire, who through the night kept watch over his flock.-Seven Sermons of the Dead-Sermo VII.

With disdainful glance the dead spake: Cease this talk of gods and daemons and souls. At this hath long been known to us. -Seven Sermons of the Dead -Sermo VI

Equalities shall prevail not for god, but only for the sake of man.
For the gods are many, whilst men are few. -Seven Sermons of the Dead-Sermo IV

Now the dead howled and raged, for they were unperfected.-Seven Sermons of the Dead-Sermo III.

In the night the dead stood along the wall and cried:
We would have knowledge of god.Where is god? Is god dead?-Seven Sermons of the Dead-Sermo II

Demon Descriptive

“name”
THE ARCHANGEL BURNER OF CHILDRENS DREAMS
SAVIOR OF THE LOST AND WICKED

“name”
THE DEMON WIZARD
THE WRETCHED
DEVOURER OF THE BLOOD OF INNOCENTS

“name”
THE UNHOLY
DEMON OF THE ABYSS
CREATURE WITHOUT A FACE

“name”
CONSUMER OF SOULS
LORD OF THE ABYSS
----------------------------------
Have a great day
SKR

Zawath
01-25-2005, 15:53
Clearly the mod is intented to be quite funny with all those basket samurai and stuff so I think real history quotes don't really fit into the Blue Lotus world.

Sykotyk Rampage
01-25-2005, 23:29
Hi,
If the actual quotes would offend or if they dispel the illusion of the game rearrange the lines, inter-mingle different quotes. Take the path of least resistance. Why reinvent the wheel. If it's not broken don't fix it. Why make it if; costs twice as much and takes twice as long to build and will not last twice as long; buy it. Bigger is not always better ...but I digress....you get the quote picture unquote.
Most of the people that did quotes in this world are either dead or never existed. There are no (take in context) copyright laws on quotes.

Have a great day...oh yes, does anyone want some snow? We have spares flakes, well actually snow banks.

SKR

blindfaithnogod
01-26-2005, 00:58
this mod is supposed to be fun, not "funny". although it is an abstraction of real history, it has its base in real life. there is alot of hard work going into this thing. so please try to keep it positive. ~D

Drisos
01-31-2005, 14:23
is this thread supposed to help me finding a signature, i don't know anything f or in that myself. . .

looking for my favourite :book:

CaeroxVII
02-10-2005, 23:55
Really cool quetes, i have some from the Bushido, a japanese book about manners and stuff:

Kenshin Uesugi: "I don’t know the knack of victory at all times. I have only learned how not to miss the right moment.”

Other: "Dreams are the honest expression of your inner person. I have often dreamt of fighting to death, and of harakiri. As I gradually got used to the dreams and felt at ease whit them, my feelings (in the dreams) changed and they now flow much easier"

"A great many samurais fall into disgrace due to heavy drinking. A thousand pities! First measure your capacity, and keep yourself in check. But you may sometimes find yourself drinking too much. Above all, be on guard all the while that you are imbibing wine. Keep yourself prepared to cope whit the settlement of unexpected accidents. Remember that the wine feast is a matter of public world" :P

"Never lag behind in the practice of Bushido. 2. Always be loyal and devoted in the service to your lord. 3. Do your duty to your parents. 4. Stir up your compassion for all sentient beings in order to devote yourself to the service of others."

"When you meet someone for the first time, be quick to judge his character. Deal whit him according to your observations. For example, if you meet an aggressive and argumentative person, be flexible; without being too unbending, you have to talk him down while making use of higher reason. And make sure there can be no grudge on his part. This is how your heart and words should work."

Dont know how all of this could be used, but i posted all of it so that you would get the feel of bushido!!:D

Furious Mental
02-23-2005, 20:14
What about the motto of the Ikko-Ikki

'He who advances is sure of heaven, but
he who retreats will suffer eternal damnation.'

Khan48
03-15-2005, 02:32
I think some of the quotes need to be shortened a bit. Also some of the last sentences in some of them are quite unnecessary and just seem to summarize the the quote.

GoreBag
04-28-2005, 14:32
"He who stands on the largest pyramid of skulls sees farthest."
-Unknown

Tricon
04-28-2005, 18:56
"He who walks in the desert, will have sand in his shoes." - Tricon

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Abokasee
05-04-2005, 18:36
"WHAT DO YOU DO WHEN ALEINS COME?"
-a hippie in his pink and green van

Deamon names
heallie soul devourer
strrog cultist wacther

tai4ji2x
05-04-2005, 19:08
sykotyk: i think your adolf hitler quote (about lies, big lies, and people believing them) is actually goebbels?

Sykotyk Rampage
05-05-2005, 02:27
hi tai4ji2x

It is from Hitler's book Mein Kampf, I believe Chapter 10 Causes of the Collapse. Don't quote me on that chapter though....LOL

That quote is a very generic interpretation from the actual context and written text but it's close enough.

Tullus
05-05-2005, 07:54
Have any of you looked at 'The Art of War' for chinese quotes? There are a pretty large number that could be used.

Tullus
05-05-2005, 07:55
Alright, so clearly I'm going blind and somehow missed the first few lines of the top post =/

Ferocious_Imbecile
07-06-2005, 18:57
Perhaps you could recycle the quote used in Shogun as a faction destroyed message.

"Now we disappear
Well, what must we think of it?
From the sky we came
Now we may go back again
That's at least one point of view."

There's more to it, but that was what was in Shogun. Hojo Ujimasa wrote it, before sticking a dagger into his belly.

It was little things like that that made Shogun Total War the best game ever.

AlokaParyetra
08-25-2005, 03:30
Oh, i got a good quote from the Bhagavad Gita:

"In death thy glory in heaven, in victory they glory on earth. Arise, therefore, Arjuna, with thy soul ready to fight."

Turin
08-25-2005, 04:38
This is the last line in the waka that begins the Heike Monogatari (Tale of the House of Taira), the defining piece of Japanese war literature prior to the 20th century.

"Even the bold will finally be destroyed
To humbly be as dust before the wind"

DragoonXXIV
08-25-2005, 12:48
WWII era Japanese proverb, still quite applicable:

"Death is lighter than a feather, duty is heavier than a mountain."

AlokaParyetra
08-29-2005, 19:20
More good quotes:

All of the following are by Kautilya, the military and political advisor to Chandragupta Maurya. They are saying from his text, the Arthasastra.

"One trusting in fate, being devoid of human endeavor, perishes. The object slips away from the foolish person, who continuously consults the stars; . . . what will the stars do?"

"An arrow, discharged by an archer, may kill one person or may not kill even one; but intellect operated by a wise man would kill even children in the womb."

"War and peace are considered solely from the point of view of profit."

"A neighboring prince possessed of the excellences of an enemy is the foe; one in calamity is vulnerable; one without support or with weak support is fit to be exterminated."

more to come...

hoggy
11-30-2005, 15:17
Any more quotes out there? I'm populating the Blue Lotus quotes as we speak. Quotes from the ancient China, India, Japan, Korea, Mongolia etc which relate to war, diplomacy, blue lotus imagery or are just plain good. some modern ones will go too if they are universal or timeless.

GiantMonkeyMan
11-30-2005, 18:59
here are a few that i found from google and stuff:

A rat who gnaws at a cat's tail invites destruction.
-Chinese Proverb

Politics is war without bloodshed while war is politics with bloodshed.
-Mao Tse-Tung

Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.
-Horace Mann

Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.
-Sun-tzu

Kinjiss
12-01-2005, 08:54
Japanese girls will laugh at the drop of a chopstick - japanese proverb

Morray
12-06-2005, 14:40
Some Korean ones for you!

"A turtle travels only when it sticks its neck out"

"Words have no wings but they can fly a thousand miles"

"Put off for one day and ten days will pass" (soooo true)

"A kitchen knife cannot carve its own handle" (I don't get it ~:confused: )
"Where there are no tigers, a wildcat is very self-important"

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if it kept its mouth shut" (heh heh I like this one)
"Carve the peg by looking at the hole" (short but sweet)

"The bad plowman quarrels with his ox" (bad worksman blames his tools anyone)
"Power lasts ten years; influence not more than a hundred." (again...don't get it!)

monkian
12-13-2005, 17:50
"do not despise the snake for having no horns, for who is to say it will not become a dragon?". Ancient Sages of the Water Margain

:san_grin:

matteus the inbred
12-13-2005, 18:25
this one exists in many forms, but i think it's a Terry Pratchett dwarf saying

'when his waist is higher than your head, his testicles are level with your teeth'
or
'all trees are felled at the ground level''

on a more refined note -
Had I not known
that I was dead
already
I would have mourned
the loss of my life.

Ota Dokan, builder of Edo castle

Morray
12-14-2005, 09:09
Well as it seems we don't have any Indian Quotes yet I thought I would dig in, as I think it is necerssary to have quotes from all of the races you guys have created! :san_cool:

If there is one place on the face of earth where all the dreams of living men have found a home from the very earliest days when man began the dream of existence, it is India!"
French scholar Romaine Rolland

We owe a lot to the Indians, who taught us how to count, without which no worthwhile scientific discovery could have been made!"
Albert Einstein

"India is the cradle of the human race, the birthplace of human speech, the mother of history, the grandmother of legend, and the great grand mother of tradition. Our most valuable and most astrictive materials in the history of man are treasured up in India only!"
Mark Twain

(My personal favorite!)
"India conquered and dominated China culturally for 20 centuries without ever having to send a single soldier across her border!"
Hu Shih, former Ambassador of China to USA

"In India, I found a race of mortals living upon the Earth, but not adhering to it, inhabiting cities, but not being fixed to them, possessing everything, but possessed by nothing"
Apollonius Tyanaeus quotes (Neo-Pythagorean)

Again I have found all these from a website so i can't really take credit for them :san_cool:

hoggy
12-14-2005, 10:10
Cheers guys. Thanks for all your input. The quotes text is all done now.

Ranbir
06-16-2006, 22:55
Nice quotes about India. I have something from India's answer to Sun Tzu. And a man that has been described as making Machievelli seem like a harmless adorable baby. Something like that...

Chanakya is the man. I've picked out quotes that probably can make sense for a TW game. Bear with me though, it's a big volume and generally focuses on a wider scope. But does stress the requirement of war. This is because, in a difference of culture of India and China, there was a warrior caste, and such a purpose for it. Wars won through heroes. Anyway, I think most of these can be used in terms of playing.

"Man's glory is in common sense, Dictating us the grace, That man is made to live and love The beauteous Heaven's embrace"

"Wise men should never go into a country where there are no means of earning one's livelihood, where the people have no dread of anybody, have no sense of shame, no intelligence, or a charitable disposition."

"Save your wealth against future calamity. Do not say, "What what fear has a rich man of calamity?" When riches begin to forsake one even the accumulated stock dwindles away."

"Give your daughter in marriage to a good family, engage your son in learning, see that your enemy comes to grief, and engage your friends in dharma."

"He who runs away from a fearful calamity, a foreign invasion, a terrible famine, and the companionship of wicked men is safe."

And here is Arjuna, a hero and key figure in the epic Mahabhatra.

Arjuna - "Brahmanas find joy in going to feasts, cows find joy in eating their tender grass, wives find joy in the company of their husbands, and know, O Krsna, that in the same way I rejoice in battle.

I will get more quotes from Mahabhatra later when I watch my massive dvd set of it again.

Ranbir
06-16-2006, 22:56
Nice quotes about India. I have something from India's answer to Sun Tzu. And a man that has been described as making Machievelli seem like a harmless adorable baby. Something like that...

Chanakya is the man. I've picked out quotes that probably can make sense for a TW game. Bear with me though, it's a big volume and generally focuses on a wider scope. But does stress the requirement of war. This is because, in a difference of culture of India and China, there was a warrior caste, and such a purpose for it. Wars won through heroes. Anyway, I think most of these can be used in terms of playing.

"Man's glory is in common sense, Dictating us the grace, That man is made to live and love The beauteous Heaven's embrace"

"Wise men should never go into a country where there are no means of earning one's livelihood, where the people have no dread of anybody, have no sense of shame, no intelligence, or a charitable disposition."

"Save your wealth against future calamity. Do not say, "What what fear has a rich man of calamity?" When riches begin to forsake one even the accumulated stock dwindles away."

"Give your daughter in marriage to a good family, engage your son in learning, see that your enemy comes to grief, and engage your friends in dharma."

"He who runs away from a fearful calamity, a foreign invasion, a terrible famine, and the companionship of wicked men is safe."

And here is Arjuna, a hero and key figure in the epic Mahabhatra.

Arjuna - "Brahmanas find joy in going to feasts, cows find joy in eating their tender grass, wives find joy in the company of their husbands, and know, O Krsna, that in the same way I rejoice in battle.

I will get more quotes from Mahabhatra later when I watch my massive dvd set of it again.

General_Sun
06-17-2006, 00:55
Well... Let's go for some peaceful quotes.

Respect for mother and father is good, generosity to friends, acquaintances, relatives, Brahmans and ascetics is good, not killing living beings is good, moderation in spending and moderation in saving is good.

To do good is difficult. One who does good first does something hard to do. I have done many good deeds, and, if my sons, grandsons and their descendants up to the end of the world act in like manner, they too will do much good. But whoever amongst them neglects this, they will do evil. Truly, it is easy to do evil.

All men are my children. What I desire for my own children, and I desire their welfare and happiness both in this world and the next, that I desire for all men. You do not understand to what extent I desire this, and if some of you do understand, you do not understand the full extent of my desire.

From the great Ashoka.

Ranbir
06-17-2006, 08:33
Firstly, apologies for double post. Can't edit it.

Revenge is not always better, but neither is forgiveness; learn to know them both, son, so that there is no problem.
-- Draupadi

Once war has been undertaken, no peace is made by pretending there is no war.
---- Duryodhana

Without doubt, all kings, O son, must once see Hell.
-- Dharma to Yudhisthira

Sheogorath
08-27-2006, 17:47
Conquering the world on horseback is easy; it is dismounting and governing that is hard.
-Genghis Khan

What is a throne? — a bit of wood gilded and covered in velvet. I am the state.
-Napoleon

If the Tiger does not stop fighting the Elephant, the Elephant will die of exhaustion.
-Ho Chi Minh

Political power grows from the tip of an arrow.
-Paraphrased from Mao Zedong

Moros
08-29-2006, 12:33
Thanks!

btw: I like the third one.

Ludens
08-29-2006, 17:44
What is a throne? — a bit of wood gilded and covered in velvet. I am the state.
-Napoleon
Is it from Napoleon? I alway attributed the last bit (L'etat, c'est moi) to Louis XIV.

Sheogorath
08-29-2006, 19:16
I dunno, I got it off of Wikiquotes, perhaps Napoleon simply felt it was a cool line ;)

Heres some from the Art of War (split up for ease of quoting)

"If your enemy is secure at all points, be prepared for him."
"If he is in superior strength, evade him."
"If your opponent is temperamental, seek to irritate him."
"Pretend to be weak, that your enemy may grow arrogant."
"If your opponent is taking his ease, give him no rest."
"If your opponents forces are united, separate them."
"If sovereign and subject are in accord, put division between them."
"Attack where your opponent is unprepared."
"Appear where you are not expected."
"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."
"The victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory."
"Hold out baits to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and crush him."
"If you know others and know yourself, you will not be imperiled in a hundred battles; if you do not know others but know yourself, you win one and lose one; if you do not know others and do not know yourself, you will be imperiled in every single battle."

"You can build a throne with bayonets, but you can't sit on it for long."
-Boris Yeltsin

"Your commanders have ordered you to storm the White House and to arrest me. But I as the elected President of Russia give you the order to turn your tanks and not to fight against your own people." Boris Yeltsin, August 1991, standing on a tank

The last one doesnt have anything to do with Asia, but its just so damn cool :P

"I am the first servant of my state."
-Frederick the Great

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Dogs, would you live forever?"
-Frederick the Great, to his retreating soldiers at the Battle of Kolin.

A sincere diplomat is like dry water or wooden iron.
-Joseph Stalin

If the opposition disarms, all is well and good. If it refuses to disarm, we shall disarm it ourselves.
-Joseph Stalin

We are fifty or a hundred years behind the advanced countries. We must make good this distance in ten years. Either we do it, or they will crush us.
-Joseph Stalin

History shows that there are no invincible armies and that there never have been.
-Joseph Stalin

In the Soviet Army, it takes more courage to retreat than advance.
-Joseph Stalin

"He who controls the past, commands the future. He who commands the future, conquers the past."
-Kane (Command and Conquer)

Some more for ya :)

Ferocious_Imbecile
09-07-2006, 08:51
"Throughout history, there has been no commodity bought and sold quite so cheaply as the blood of courageous men"

Edward Gibbons.

Iasonis
07-07-2007, 21:02
I think vanilla rtw might have this quote allready but they messes up abit and started it was from Herodotus from his work "The Histories" but Herodotus was in fact quoting Xerxes the great. Heres a little source for abit of the book, its a great read although lengthy. (hhttp://www.thenagain.info/Classes/Sources/Herodotus-Xerxes.html[/url]) It is my favorite quote and is a good one to live by.

"Far better is it to have a stout heart always and suffer one's share of evils, than to be ever fearing what may happen and never incur a mischance" Xerxes