PDA

View Full Version : Character Name Ideas

hoggy
01-25-2005, 12:16
Another call for help from the community :bow: . We need to replace the names of all the characters/generals etc in game. A big job. If anyone has time please post here name suggestions in list form (so we can cut and paste)

We need to separate factions, surnames and forenames and male and female. It's ok to have famous ones as the surnames and forenames are randomised. So we need, Japanese, Chinese, Demon and Indian to start with. If we get a few each it'll add up and we'll have replaced them all before we know it. . many thanks - hoggy

Al Khalifah
01-25-2005, 17:29
A problem for China, Korea and Japan names is that by default in R:TW, the surname follows the firstname. In these nations the family name proceeds the surname. E.g: Takeda Shingen son of Takeda Nobutora.

I don't know if any factions in Rome had the family name before the firstname or if this can be scripted in, but it is somewhat of a problem when it comes to making the correct feel. I suppose you could just put the firstnames instead of surnames and vice-versa but then there would be children not being named as the son of their father.

Just a potential problem for your consideration.

For Japanese family names, you could add a little Total War retro feel:
Oda
Chosokabe
Mori
Takeda
Shimazu
Hojo
Uesegi
Imagawa
Others:
Fujimoto
Hashimoto
Kawamura
Nakashima
Ôshima
Satô
Takahashi
Ueda
Watanabe
Yamaguchi
Yamamoto

Male names:
Akira
Eiji
Gorô
Hideki
Hideo
Hiroshi
Hitoshi
Ichirô
Jirô
Kazuhiro
Kazuo
Ken'ichi
Kenji
Kiyoshi
Koichi
Makoto
Masao
Masashi
Masaso
Masayoshi
Minoru
Noboru
Nobu
Ryôichi
Ryôsuke
Seiji
Shunsuke
Takashi
Takeshi
Tasô
Tetsuo
Toshio
Tsutomu
Yasuo
Yôji
Yoshi
Yoshihisa
Yoshio

Female Names:
Akiko
Atsuko
Emiko
Fumiko
Hanako
Haruko
Junko
Kaoru
Kazuko
Miyuki
Michiko
Toshiko
Yuriko

Sykotyk Rampage
01-25-2005, 22:56
hi, here are mythological demon, god, devil names. They have been edited because they come in all different names, descriptions and versions. If you need other research just ask. I am a Project Manager with a researcher sitting on her hands...LOL

HINDU/ INDIAN/ BUDDIST

rakshasas –Hindu
evil spirits with magical and shape-shifting abilities.
Children of Nirriti
rakshasas are described as yellow, green, or blue with vertical slits for eyes, matted eyes, large bellies, and five feet, as well as having poisonous fingernails that can kill humans. They tend to take on the appearance of animals such as dogs, vultures, and owls, but can also appear as humans.

(Nagas) –Hindu –
were a race of serpents whose purpose was to populate the underworld
TYPES/NAMES
Karkotaka - controls weather
Padmavati - the Nagi queen & companion of Dharanendra
Paravataksha - his sword cause earthquakes & his roar caused thunder
Takshaka & Vasuki - the kings of the Nagas
Ulupi - the companion of Arjuna

Sesha –Hindu (sudo of nagas)
name meaning "eternal", is the world serpent who provides the bed for Vishnu as his heads give Vishnu shade.

Ravana –Hindu
King of demons

Nirriti – Hindu -Vedic goddess of death

Nirrita –Hindu – Nirriti consort

Mara – Buddhism - ("death" or "thirst")
Also known as - Papiyan ("more wicked")
Varsavarti ("he who fills desires")
Known as the god of lightning, seduction, temptation, sensuality and death,
Mara is said to be homeless, wandering the earth capturing the souls of the dying, and in Hinduism, personifies evil and death & is associated with the demon, Namuche

Namuche –Buddhism
Demon ("Not letting go the waters")

Kâla-Bhairava –Hindu
"Lord of Time-Death" (KALA)

Beyrevra – Indian
demon with long and crooked nails. He watches over the souls who wander in the changed space of the aerial demons.

Daityas – (type) Hindu
giant evil spirits who are known for their opposition to sacrifice to the gods.
Krita Yuga – name of a Daityas

Vritra –Hindu
the dragon-serpent (demon)

Deumus –Hindu
She wears a crown, has 4 horns on her head and 4 hooked yet strong teeth in her mouth. Her nose is pointed and hooked. Her feet are like a rooster, and she holds a soul between her claws which she seems ready to devour.

Ganga-Gramma –Indian/Hindu
feminine demon whom the Indians fear & thus offer great honors. He has four arms and holds a small bowl in his left hand and a three-pronged fork in his right.

Kali –Indian/Hindu (Goddess/Demon)
queen of the demons and sultana of the Indian hell, Cali is completely black and wears a collar of golden skulls. In older times, she was offered human victims. (one view of her there are many)

Persian /OTHER religion

Ahriman –Persian
is thought to be the first personification of "the Devil"

Anzu - Sumerian myth
large bird (eagle or vulture) who lived in the realm of the gods

Yenaldlooshi – Navajo
are witches who wear coyote skins and travel at night. They appear naked, wearing only masks and jewelry, & tend to live in caves, storing recognizable human heads on shelves.

Yan-gant-y-tan –Breton
wanders the nights in Finistere & is considered an evil omen among the Bretons. He holds five candles on his five fingers, which he is able to turn quickly.

Tornarsuk –Inuit Northern artic regions
They are usually invisible, though they sometimes appear as a light or fire prior to the death of someone. ome descriptions describe him as invisible, that he has a body covered with eyes, or that his is a sea monster.

Rubezal (Ribesal, Rûberzahl, Krakonos) – Silesia (Bohemia, German, Czech)
is a specter at the summit of the Risemberg, according to the people of Silesia. He is responsible for suddenly covering the mountain with clouds and he excites tempers.

Piccolus/Poccolus/Pikulis/Piktulis
He is some kind of god-destroyer, god of death, decay.
He was offered the head of a dead man and a tallow was burned in his honor.

Lamia – Libya
were harmful spirits who killed infants & seduced sleeping men.
ueen of Libya. She splits open pregnant women to devour the children developing inside. Her name is derived from lamias, the evil female demons with dragon heads at the end of their feet found in deserts. They are also known to haunt cemeteries, devouring the corpses and leaving nothing but bones.

Hiisi - Finnish word for demon
They are personifications of evil associated with woods, streams, & hills.

hiiet – Finnish –lesser demon

Ereshkigal – Sumerian
the ruler of the underworld, is the sister of Ishtar/Inanna. Was originally a sky goddess who was kidnapped by the dragon, Kur, and taken to the underworld, where she was enthroned as Queen.

Japanese

Izanagi - Japanese mythology
Izanagi was a tall & as strong as a willow sapling. One of two young gods chosen to bring order to the world of chaos.

Izanami - Japanese mythology
delicate in manner & speech, and as beautiful as the air that filled the High Plain of Heaven. Second of two young gods chosen to bring order to the world of chaos.

Kappas - Japanese mythology
They are monkey-like creatures with saucer-shapped heads, yellowish-green skin, & long noses.

Amatsu Mikaboshi
The Japanese god of evil. His name means "August Star of Heaven".

Ame-No-Toko-Tachi
A primordial being from Japanese Shinto religion.

Awabi
Japanese sea demons who live near Nanao. They eat fishermen when they drown and are the guardians of large seashells containing shining jewels.

Bakemono
Spirits possessed of evil powers. The term covers various spirits such as kappa, mono-no-ke (evil spirits), oni, ten-gu, and yamanba or yama-ubu (a mountain witch).

Bimbomushi
The Japanese word for deathwatch beetle, literally 'poverty-bug'. It is believed that this ticking woodworm bodes poverty

Ekibiogami
The Japanese god of epidemic diseases such as plague and pestilence.

Futsu-Nushi-no-Kami
The Japanese god of fire and lightning. Later he became a god of war and general of Amaterasu. He helped to prepare the rulership of Ninigi on earth.

Gakido
The 'Demon Road' or Purgatory in Japanese cosmology. It is the lowest form of existence.

Gozu-Tenno
The Japanese god of plague.

Hisa-Me
The Hisa-Me are female demons of death in the Japanese underworld.

Ika-Zuchi-no-Kami
A group of seven Japanese Shinto demons who live in the underworld. Their rumbling can be heard during volcanic eruptions and earthquakes.

Raiju
A Japanese demon whose name means "thunder animal". It is a demon of lightning in the shape of a cat, badger or weasel. During thunderstorms it becomes extremely agitated and leaps from tree to tree. If a tree shows the marks of lightning, people say that Raiju's claws have scratched it open. The demon likes hiding in human navels, so, if afraid, a person should sleep on his or her belly during thunderstorms.

Yomi
In Japanese myth, Yomi ("night-heart") is the netherworld.

Chinese

Chu Jiang
he king of the second of the Taoist hells, the hell of thieves and murderers.

Geong Si
Jiang Shr (Putonghua) or Kuang Shi (Cantonese) are the zombies of Chinese myth.

Gong Gong
A Chinese demon who is responsible for the great floods, together with his associate, the snake-like Xiang Yao. Gong Gong is the eternal opponent of the highest ruler.

Gui -
he Chinese term for the spirits of the dead, formed of the negative yin components of a person's soul

Ru Shou
The messager of the sky-god, similarly to Gou Mang. Ru Shou is associated with the west, autumn and misfortune. The dragon is his attribute.

Shachihoko
A Chinese sea monster that has the head of a tiger and the body of a fish. The body is covered with poisonous spikes. On land it can transform itself into a tiger. A representation of the Shachihoko was used in medieval Japan as a gargoyle.

Ssu Ling
Each one of the four spiritual creatures of the Chinese myth stands for one of the symbols on the compass. The Ch'i-lin was the western point of the compass. The Feng-huang was the southern point of the compass. The tortoise, along with the snake, ruled the north, and the dragon symbolized the east.

KOREAN

Chiha Yo Changgun
A village guardian and a general of the underworld in Korean mythology.

Kud
The Korean personification of darkness and evil. He is the antipode of Palk.

Tokebi
A goblin-like creature of Korean folklore.

Yongwang
The Korean dragon-god of the seas.

Polynesian

Ami-Te-Rangi
A Polynesian sky deity who 'angles' for mortal men on earth, pulling them up in baskets to devour them.

Aremata-Popoa
Short Wave". One of two ocean demons who are greatly feared by Polynesian mariners because they are at the mercy of their immense power. The other demon is Aremata-Rorua.

Whiro
The Maori (Polynesian) lizard-god of the dead, evil and darkness.

Uranga-o-Te-Ra
The Maori netherworld. It is ruled by the goddess Rohe, the former wife of Maui.

------------------------------------------------------
IN LIST FORM

rakshasas
Children of Nirriti
Nagas
Karkotaka
Padmavati
Paravataksha
Takshaka
Vasuki Ulupi
Arjuna
Sesha
Vishnu
Ravana
Nirriti
Nirrita
Mara
Papiyan
Varsavarti
Namuche
Kâla-Bhairava
"Lord of Time-Death" (KALA)
Beyrevra
Daityas
Krita Yuga
Vritra
Deumus
Ganga-Gramma
Kali
Ahriman
Anzu
Yenaldlooshi
Yan-gant-y-tan
Tornarsuk
Rubezal
Ribesal
Rûberzahl
Krakonos.
Piccolus
Poccolus
Pikulis
Piktulis
Lamia
Hiisi
hiiet
Ereshkigal
Izanagi
Izanami
Kappas
Amatsu Mikaboshi
Ame-No-Toko-Tachi
Awabi
Bakemono
Bimbomushi
Ekibiogami
Futsu-Nushi-no-Kami
Amaterasu
Gakido
Gozu-Tenno
Hisa-Me
Ika-Zuchi-no-Kami
Raiju
Yomi
Chu Jiang
Geong Si
Jiang Shr
Putonghua
Kuang Shi
Gong Gong
Gui
Ru Shou
Shachihoko
Ssu Ling
Chiha Yo Changgun
Kud
Tokebi
Yongwang
Ami-Te-Rangi
Aremata-Popoa
Aremata-Rorua.
Whiro
Uranga-o-Te-Ra

hoggy
01-26-2005, 09:37
top stuff guys, keep em coming. These are really useful. As to the ordering of names justmeandthedog is currently looking at ways to implement the names amongst other things but we may have to compromise. I'll check what Sengonku Jidai are doing.

wilpuri
01-26-2005, 13:08
Hiisi - Finnish word for demon
They are personifications of evil associated with woods, streams, & hills.

hiiet – Finnish –lesser demon

Hey if these are all good, then why not:

LEMPO (m): God of Evil and Lord of Demons
KIVUTAR (f): Goddess of Pain and Suffering
LOUHI (f): A wicked enchantress and Queen of the bleak realm of Pohjola.
LOVIATAR (f): another goddess of suffering, plagues, pain you name it
PIRU (n/a): Evil Demon Spirit, plural: Pirut
IKU-TURSO (m): Monster/Deamon from the Sea

hoggy
01-26-2005, 14:09
All good, just a quick note, what we really need is names of characters ie forenames and surnames that can be randomly generated into ingame character names. We can use names of demons etc as second names if they're not too recognisable but ideally we need more generic stuff. essentially there will be a big list of forenames and a big list of surnames for
each faction and we need to populate these.

Sykotyk Rampage
01-26-2005, 15:52
I will gladly create the lists of names. Just need the boundries.

Basicaly how many?
Different list for each faction?
Is there a character (symbols, letter) that are not usable?
Is there a length requirement/hinderance?
Each surname is separate from given name? ie different list
Is there a specific language context for each faction? ie Japanese names should be exactly, closely, loosely resemble japanese (circle your answer use only a dark sharp pencil your computer screen will not scan pen or marker and there will be a test)
Is there a format that has to be used? ie microsoft word
Do you walk to school or carry your lunch?
What are the faction names?
Will the factions of the same type reference the same list? ie chinese 1 & 2
If there are different lists (see above question) should the names be of a different Phonic? ie kenso at the end of one faction and senso at the end of the other. (Now before every jumps on, that I would not literally end every name in that title or would I ... Ha ha ha ---insert evil laugh here
Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Indian, Mongol, Demon, Monk, Rebel, teletubie any more?

(Again excuse the humour but being at work and all I need to take it out on someone)

So set the boundries I have a crack researcher (or cracked) sitting on her hands that is just will (or humouring her boss). LOL

So I stepped up to the plate did I strike out? (I don't even watch baseball)

hoggy
01-26-2005, 16:33
Zoiks! I'll try to answer what I can, justmeandthedog is researching the various names files at the moment and may be able to answer the rest...

Basicaly how many? - not sure. if you look in data/text/names.txt i think this should give an idea. Maybe start with 30 per faction?
Different list for each faction? - yes and no. There are a limited amount of 'cultures' so we can't have a culture per faction so if we just have headings of Japanese, Chinese, Demon and Indian for the moment

subdivided to surname and forenames - yes
Is there a character (symbols, letter) that are not usable? - best to avoid hyphens I believe, also no special letters outside the english alphabet. (ie no accents etc)
Is there a length requirement/hinderance? - don't know. Ideally not crazily long as they need to fit in all the menus etc.
Each surname is separate from given name? ie different list - I beleive so, need to check with justmeandthedogIs there a specific language context for each faction? ie Japanese names should be exactly, closely, loosely resemble japanese (circle your answer use only a dark sharp pencil your computer screen will not scan pen or marker and there will be a test) - as far as I'm concerned closely is enough for me although exactly would be better :) , as long as they don't turn out to be swear words.
Is there a format that has to be used? ie microsoft word - as long as they paste into notepad opr a word document anything should be ok. ideally word or notepad I'm guessing
Do you walk to school or carry your lunch? - walk sadly :) and avoid bullies on the way
What are the faction names? - see posting 402 in the main Blue Lotus thread
Will the factions of the same type reference the same list? ie chinese 1 & 2
If there are different lists (see above question) should the names be of a different Phonic? ie kenso at the end of one faction and senso at the end of the other. (Now before every jumps on, that I would not literally end every name in that title or would I ... Ha ha ha ---insert evil laugh here
Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Indian, Mongol, Demon, Monk, Rebel, teletubie any more? - see above

Hope this helps, three cheers to you and your researcher :bow: Thanks for going in to bat for us ~;)

Al Khalifah
01-27-2005, 10:40
Hoggy, though you didn't mention it in the last post, I assume you might be interested in some Mongol names?

Mongol names, should really be singular. Mongol names were normally two part constructions (though they could be more or less) e.g Sube and -dei. Mongols did not commonly take surnames as they did not try to live off the legend of their fathers. They may use tribal or clan names though if they have to have surnames.

Female Mongol Names:
Aigiarn
Borte
Chabi
Conchaka
Doquez-khatum
Goland
Ho'elun
Khultulun
Kokachin
Mandughai
Oghul
Orqina
Sorghaghtani
Toregene

Male Mongol Names:
Bati
Bechac
Bugiec
Buri
Cingis
Cadan
Chauth
Cocten
Cuiuc
Cyrbodan
Cyrpodan
Cyrenen
Mengu
Occoday
Ordu
Schahaday
Syban
Tossuc
Yesugei
Neikun
Daritai
Chileidu
Bartan
Temujin Uge
Khori Buka
Khaji'un
Temuja
Kutula
Altan
Menggetu
Targutai
Dai Sechen
Munglik
Ambakhai
Charakha
Todaan Girta
Kasar
Bektair
Belgutai
Bodonchar
Chimbai
Chila'un
Sorkhan Shira
Nakhu
Bo'orchu
Toghrul
Kurchakhus
Tokhto'a
Erke
Jelmei
Subetai
Jamukha
Jakha Gambu
Dair Usun
Khaghata Darmala
Chilgei
Jochi
Khuchar
Sacha
Kuchu
Kokochu
Khada'an
Onggur
Jebe
Khorchi
Mukhalkhu
Taichu
Okin Barkak
Ogolai
Jochi Darmala
Taichar
Jurchadai
Khuyildar
Kutukto Yurki
Shiki'ur
Buri Boke
Megujin

Al Khalifah
01-27-2005, 14:55
Putting Chinese names into English creates a whole new level of difficulty. There aren't that many Chinese surnames, I've included some historical ones, but there are billions (literally) of firstnames throughout the ages - because just about anything can become a firstname in Chinese.

Chinese Family Names:
Ding
Yu
Fang
Kong
Mao
Wang
Wen
Yin
Bai
Shi
Tian
Chi
Jiang
Ren
Yi
Zhu
Ruan
Du
He
Li
Lu
Qiu
Shao
Shen
Song
Sun
Wang
Woo
Yu
Jin
Ching
Lin
Meng
Wu
Yee
Zhou
Hua
Duan
Fan
Hao
Hu
Hou
Jiang
Ma
Yao
Quah
Hong
Chan
Ko
Kwok
Ji
Kang
Loc
Qin
Tang
Xia
Xu
Yuan
Cao
Fung
Wong
Liang
Mei
Xu
Zhang
Tsen
Tong

Jay Tee
01-31-2005, 22:20
Chinese first names with meaning:

1. Ah Chinese F From a Chinese character which has no distinct meaning. It is not normally given as a name, but it can paired with another name to make it a diminutive.
2. Ah Chinese M From a Chinese character which has no distinct meaning. It is not normally given as a name, but it can paired with another name to make it a diminutive.
3. Bao Chinese M Treasure.
4. Bo Chinese F Precious.
5. Chang Chinese M Smooth.
6. Chao Chinese M Surpassing.
7. Chen Chinese M Great.
8. Cheng-Gong Chinese M Success.
9. Chun Chinese F Spring.
10. Chun Chinese M Spring.
11. Cong Chinese M Intelligent.
12. De Chinese M Virtue.
13. Deshi Chinese M Moral.
14. Dewei Chinese M Highly noble.
15. Dingbang Chinese M Protects the country.
16. Dishi Chinese M Man of virtue.
17. Enlai Chinese M Appreciation.
18. Fa Chinese M Beginning.
19. Fang Chinese M Wind.
20. Fu Chinese M Wealthy.
21. Hai Chinese M Sea.
22. Heng Chinese M Eternal.
23. Huan Chinese F Happiness.
24. Huan Chinese M Happiness.
25. Huang Chinese F Yellow.
26. Huang Chinese M Yellow.
27. Huo Chinese F Fire.
28. Huo Chinese M Fire.
29. Jia Chinese F Beautiful.
30. Jiang Chinese F River.
31. Jiang Chinese M River.
32. Jin Chinese F Means either 'gold, metal, money' or 'elegant' or 'ferry'.
33. Jin Chinese M Means either 'gold, metal, money' or 'elegant' or 'ferry'.
34. Jing Chinese F Means either 'essense' or 'capital' or 'pure'.
35. Jing Chinese M Means either 'essense' or 'capital' or 'pure'.
36. Ju Chinese F Chrysanthemum.
37. Kuan-yin Chinese M Buddhist deity of mercy.
38. Kun Chinese M Means either 'universe' or 'mountain range'.
39. Lan Chinese F Orchid.
40. Li Chinese F Means either 'strength' or 'plum' or 'black' or 'sharp' in Chinese. Li Ssu-hsun was a 7th-century Chinese landscape painter, Li Po was a 8th-century Chinese poet, and Li Yu was a 10th-century Chinese poet and ruler of the Southern Tang kingdom.
41. Li Chinese M Means either 'strength' or 'plum' or 'black' or 'sharp' in Chinese. Li Ssu-hsun was a 7th-century Chinese landscape painter, Li Po was a 8th-century Chinese poet, and Li Yu was a 10th-century Chinese poet and ruler of the Southern Tang kingdom.
42. Lian Chinese F Daughter of the sun.
43. Lin Chinese F Family name.
44. Ling Chinese F Bell, chime, tinkling.
45. Mei Chinese F Plum or beautiful.
46. Ming Chinese F Shining, bright, clear.
47. Ming Chinese M Shining, bright, clear.
48. Mu Chinese F Wood.
49. Mu Chinese M Wood.
50. Ning Chinese F Peace, rest, tranquility.
51. Ning Chinese M Peace, rest, tranquility.
52. Niu Chinese F Girl.
53. Nuo Chinese F Graceful.
54. Ping Chinese F Peaceful.
55. Ping Chinese M Peaceful.
56. Qing Chinese F Greenish blue.
57. Qiu Chinese F Autumn.
58. Qiu Chinese M Autumn.
59. Rong Chinese F Martial.
60. Rong Chinese M Martial.
61. Ru Chinese M Scholar.
62. San Chinese F Means 'three'. This name is sometimes given to the third child.
63. San Chinese M Means 'three'. This name is sometimes given to the third child.
64. Shui Chinese F Water.
65. Shui Chinese M Water.
66. Shun Chinese F smooth.
67. Tai Chinese F Very big.
68. Tai Chinese M Very big.
69. Tu Chinese F Earth, soil.
70. Tu Chinese M Earth, soil.
71. Wei Chinese M Great or strength.
72. Wen Chinese F Cultured, refined.
73. Wu Chinese M Either 'army squad' or 'crow' or 'sorcerer'.
74. Xiang Chinese F Either 'to soar' or 'auspicious' or 'fragrant'.
75. Xiang Chinese M Either 'to soar' or 'auspicious' or 'fragrant'.
76. Xue Chinese F Snow or studious.
77. Xue Chinese M Snow or studious.
78. Xun Chinese M Fast.
79. Yin Chinese F Either 'silver' or 'polite' or 'sound'.
80. Yu Chinese F Either 'jade' or 'honour' or 'happy' or 'rain'.
81. Yu Chinese M Either 'jade' or 'honour' or 'happy' or 'rain'.
82. Yun Chinese F Clouds.
83. Zan Chinese F Praise, support.
84. Zhen Chinese F Precious or virtuous.
85. Zhou Chinese M Help, assist.

Jay Tee
01-31-2005, 22:21
Japanese first names:

1. Akemi Japanese M Beautiful sunrise/dawn.
2. Akeno Japanese M In the morning; bright shining field; beautiful sunrise/dawn.
3. Akihiko Japanese M Bright boy.
4. Akihito Japanese M Bright.
5. Akiko Japanese F Iris; light and bright.
6. Akio Japanese M Variant of Akihiko: Bright boy.
7. Akira Japanese M Variant of Akihiko: Bright boy.
8. Anda Japanese F Meet at the field. A Japanese surname.
9. Aneko Japanese F Older sister.
10. Benjiro Japanese M Peaceful; enjoy peace.
11. Bishamon Japanese M The Japanese god of war.
12. Botan Japanese M Long life.
13. Chiko Japanese F arrow;pledge.
14. Chiko Japanese M Arrow or pledge.
15. Chiyo Japanese F Thousand years; eternal.
16. Chokichi Japanese M Good fortune.
17. Dai Japanese M Large; generation.
18. Danno Japanese M Field gathering. Surname.
19. Ebisu Japanese M Japanese god of labour and luck.
20. Eriko Japanese F Child with a collar. The suffix -ko means child.
21. Hana Japanese F Flower.
22. Hoshi Japanese F Star.
23. Jiro Japanese M Second son.
24. Joben Japanese M Enjoy cleanness.
25. Jomei Japanese M Spread light.
26. Juro Japanese M Tenth son; best wishes; longevity.
27. Kaemon Japanese M Joyful; righthanded. Old Samurai name.
28. Kameko Japanese F Child of the tortoise.
29. Kami Japanese F Lord.
30. Kamlyn Japanese F Variant of Kami. Lord.
31. Kamlyn Japanese M Variant of Kami. Lord.
32. Kammi Japanese F Variant of Kami. Lord.
33. Kammie Japanese F Variant of Kami. Lord.
34. Kane Japanese M Putting together; money. Surname.
35. Kannon Japanese M Form of Kuan-yin who was Chinese Buddhist deity of mercy.
36. Kano Japanese M One's masculine power; capability.
37. Kaori Japanese M Add a man's strength.
38. Kaya Japanese F Adds a place of resting.
39. Keiji Japanese M Governs with discretion.
40. Keitaro Japanese M Blessed.
41. Ken Japanese M Strong; physically healthy.
42. Kenji Japanese M Intelligent second son; strong and vigorous.
43. Kenjiro Japanese M Second son who sees with insight.
44. Kentaro Japanese M Sharp; big boy.
45. Kumiko Japanese F Companion child; drawing together.
46. Kyoko Japanese F Mirror.
47. Maeko Japanese F Truth child.
48. Maemi Japanese F Smile of truth.
49. Maiya Japanese F Surname meaning rice valley.
50. Makoto Japanese M Good.
51. Manzo Japanese M Ten thousand-fold-strong third son.
52. Mareo Japanese M Rare; uncommon.
53. Mariko Japanese F Ball; circle.
54. Marise Japanese F Infinite; endless.
55. Marise Japanese M Infinite; endless.
56. Maro Japanese M Myself.
57. Matsuko Japanese F Pine tree child.
58. Michie Japanese F Gateway; gracefully drooping flower.
59. Michiko Japanese F Child of beauty.
60. Michio Japanese M Man with strength of three thousand.
61. Midori Japanese F Green.
62. Miki Japanese F Three trees together.
63. Miki Japanese M Tree.
64. Mikio Japanese M Three trees together.
65. Minoru Japanese M Bear fruit.
66. Mitsu Japanese F Surname meaning shine; reflect.
67. Miya Japanese F Three arrows; temple.
68. Montaro Japanese M Big boy.
69. Morio Japanese M Forest boy.
70. Nariko Japanese F Gentle child.
71. Nikki Japanese F Two trees. Used as surname.
72. Nikki Japanese M Two trees. Surname.
73. Nikko Japanese M Daylight. Surname.
74. Noriko Japanese F Child of ceremony; law; order.
75. Rai Japanese M Trust; lightning; thunder.
76. Rei Japanese M Law; strive.
77. Reizo Japanese M Cool; calm; well-groomed.
78. Renjiro Japanese M Clean; upright; honest.
79. Renzo Japanese M Third link or third son.
80. Rinji Japanese M Peaceful forest.
81. Roka Japanese M White crest of the wave.
82. Sachio Japanese M Fortunately born.
83. Saniiro Japanese M Praise; admirable.
84. Seiji Japanese M Lawful; manages affairs of state.
85. Shoda Japanese M Flat and level field.
86. Suzu Japanese F Long-lived; crane.
87. Suzu Japanese M Long-lived; crane.
88. Tadao Japanese M Complacent; satisfied.
89. Taji Japanese F Surname meaning silver and yellow color.
90. Taji Japanese M Silver and yellow color.
91. Takeo Japanese M Strong like bamboo.
92. Tamae Japanese F Ball; bell.
93. Tami Japanese F Let people see benefit.
94. Tamika Japanese F People.
95. Tanjiro Japanese M High-valued second son.
96. Taree Japanese F Bending branch.
97. Taro Japanese M Big boy.
98. Taura Japanese F Many lakes;many rivers.
99. Taya Japanese F Valley field.
100. Teiji Japanese M Righteous; well governed.

Jay Tee
01-31-2005, 22:25
Indian First names:

1. Abhaya Indian M Has no fear.
2. Abhimanyu Indian M Person killed by Lakshmana.
3. Abhirati Indian F Mother of five hundred children; A mother goddess.
4. Acharya Indian M Spiritual teacher.
5. Achir Indian M New.
6. Adharma Indian M Lawless.
7. Adi Indian M A form of Vasishtha.
8. Aditi Indian F Free.
9. Aditya Indian M Sun.
10. Adya Indian F Born on Sunday.
11. Agastya Indian M Name of a wise man.
12. Agneya Indian M Son of Agni.
13. Agnimukha Indian M Face of fire.
14. Ahalya Indian F Night.
15. Ahisma Indian F Gentle.
16. Ahjaja Indian M Born of a lotus.
17. Ahriman Indian M Evil spirit.
18. Airavata Indian M Child of water.
19. Aja Indian M Goat.
20. Akshobhya Indian M One of the Dhyani Buddhas.
21. Amaravati Indian F Full of ambrosia.
22. Amba Indian F Mother.
23. Ambrosia Indian F Food of the gods.
24. Ameretat Indian M Immortal.
25. Amhi Indian F Mother.
26. Amhika Indian F Mother.
27. Amitabha Indian M One of the Dhyani Buddhas.
28. Amma Indian M Supreme god.
29. Anahita Indian F Goddess of the waters.
30. Ananda Indian M A half brother of Buddha.
31. Ananga Indian M Without body.
32. Anasuya Indian F Charitable.
33. Anga Indian F From Anga.
34. Angirasa Indian F Of the mythical Luminous Race.
35. Anish Indian M Born without a master.
36. Annapurna Indian F Goddess of bread.
37. Anumati Indian F Moon.
38. Apala Indian F Woman cursed with a skin disorder.
39. Apsaras Indian F From the water's stream.
40. Arun Indian M Sun.
41. Aruna Indian M God of the dawn.
42. Arundhati Indian F Morning star.
43. Arya Indian F Noble goddess.
44. Asad Indian M Lion.
45. Ashoka Indian M Name of an emperor.
46. Asura Indian M A demon.
47. Ayodhya Indian M From Ayodhya.
48. Balahadra Indian M Brother of Krishna.
49. Balarama Indian M Brother of Krishna.
50. Bali Indian M Mighty warrior.
51. Balin Indian M Mighty warrior.
52. Behula Indian F Perfect wife.
53. Bha Indian F Star.
54. Bhadraa Indian F Cow.
55. Bhaga Indian M Uncertain whether god of love or luck.
56. Bhagiratha Indian F Goddess.
57. Bhagwandas Indian M Serves God.
58. Bhaskar Indian M Sun.
59. Bhavata Indian M Dearly loved.
60. Bhikkhu Indian M A monk.
61. Bhikkhuni Indian F A nun.
62. Bhima Indian M Terrible.
63. Bhimadevi Indian F Frightening goddess.
64. Bhishma Indian M Terrible.
65. Bhu Indian F Earth.
66. Bhudevi Indian F Earth.
67. Bodhi Indian M Awakens.
68. Brahma Indian M Absolute.
69. Brahman Indian M Absolute.
70. Brahmaputra Indian M Son of Brahma.
71. Chakra Indian M Symbol of the sun.
72. Chamunda Indian F A form of Durga.
73. Chanda Indian F Fierce.
74. Chandaka Indian M Charioteer of Buddha.
75. Chandi Indian F Fierce.
76. Chandra Indian M Moon.
77. Channa Indian F Chickpea.
78. Charumati Indian F Daughter of Buddha.
79. Chhaya Indian F Shade.
80. Chinja Indian M Son.
81. Daeva Indian F Evil spirit.
82. Dakini Indian F Demon.
83. Daksha Indian M Brilliant.
84. Dakshina Indian F Competent.
85. Damayanti Indian F Name of a princess.
86. Das Indian M A slave.
87. Dasa Indian M A slave.
88. Dasras Indian M Handsome.
89. Dasya Indian M He serves.
90. Deva Indian F Superior.
91. Devaki Indian F Black.
92. Devamatar Indian F Mother of the gods.
93. Devayani Indian F Daughter of Shukra.
94. Deven Indian M For God.
95. Dharani Indian F Earth.
96. Dhenuka Indian M A demon.
97. Dhumavarna Indian M The color of smoke.
98. Diti Indian F Daughter of Daksha.
99. Div Indian F Evil spirit.
100. Drisana Indian F Daughter of the sun.
101. Duhkha Indian M Sorrowful.
102. Durvasas Indian M Son of Atri.
103. Dushkriti Indian M Sum of all sins.
104. Dyaus Indian M Sky.
105. Ekadanta Indian M Has one tooth.
106. Ellora Indian F The name given to the cave temples of India.
107. Frashegird Indian M Wonderful.
108. Gada Indian M Mace.
109. Gadhi Indian M Father of Vishvamitra.
110. Gajra Indian M Garland of flowers.
111. Gandhari Indian F Name of a princess.
112. Garuda Indian M The god who carried Vishnu.
113. Garudi Indian F Bird of prey.
114. Gatha Indian F Song.
115. Gauri Indian F Shining.
116. Gayatri Indian F A singer.
117. Girisha Indian M Storm god.
118. Gita Indian F Song.
119. Guffd Indian M Serpent god.
120. Gulab Indian M Rose.
121. Haidar Indian M Lion.
122. Haimati Indian F Snow queen.
123. Halim Indian M Kind.
124. Hari Indian M Tawny.
125. Haripriya Indian M Loved by Vishnu.
126. Harischandra Indian M Name of a king.
127. Hariti Indian F Goddess of smallpox.
128. Hasin Indian M Laughs.
129. Hastimukha Indian M Face of an elephant.
130. Hemakuta Indian M From Hemakuta.
131. Indra Indian M Supreme god.
132. Indrani Indian F Goddess of the sky.
133. Indumati Indian F Daughter of Vidarbha.
134. Isha Indian M Lord.
135. Ishana Indian M Lord.
136. Ishani Indian F Lady.
137. Ishvara Indian M Lord.
138. Jafar Indian M Little stream.
139. Jaganmata Indian F Mother of the world.
140. Jahnu Indian M Name of a sage.
141. Jambha Indian M Jaws.
142. Jambhala Indian M God of wealth.
143. Janna Indian F Paradise.
144. Jarita Indian F Mythical bird.
145. Javas Indian M Quick.
146. Jayanti Indian F Victory.
147. Jivanta Indian F Gives life.
148. Jivin Indian M Gives life.
149. Josha Indian M Satisfied.
150. Jyotis Indian F Light of the sun.
151. Jyotish Indian M Moon.
152. Kabandha Indian M Ugly giant.
153. Kadru Indian F Daughter of Daksha.
154. Kailasa Indian F Silver mountain.
155. Kakar Indian M Grass.
156. Kaklin Indian M White horse.
157. Kala Indian M Black.
158. Kalari Indian M Forms of Shiva.
159. Kali Indian M Black.
160. Kalindi Indian F Daughter of the sun god.
161. Kalki Indian M White horse.
162. Kamala Indian F Lotus.
163. Kami Indian M Loving.
164. Kanaka Indian M Gold.
165. Kanishka Indian M Name of a king.
166. Karma Indian F Destiny.
167. Karuna Indian F Compassion.
168. Kavi Indian M Poet.
169. Kerani Indian F Saned bells.
170. Kesin Indian M Long haired almsman.
171. Khasa Indian F Daughter of Daksha.
172. Kintan Indian M Crowned.
173. Kirati Indian F From the mountain.
174. Kiritan Indian M Crowned.
175. Kotari Indian M Unclothed.
176. Kritanta Indian M God of death.
177. Krodha Indian F Anger.
178. Kumar Indian M Prince.
179. Kumara Indian M Youthful.
180. Kumari Indian F Princess.
181. Kumudavati Indian F Owns lotuses.
182. Kunti Indian F Lover of the sun god.
183. Lais Indian M Lion.
184. Lajila Indian F Shy.
185. Lakshmana Indian M Lucky omen.
186. Lakshmi Indian F Goddess of fortune.
187. Lakya Indian F Born on Thursday.
188. Leya Indian F Lion.
189. Lusila Indian M Leader.
190. Madhava Indian M God of spring.
191. Madri Indian F Wife of Pandu.
192. Mahadevi Indian F Great goddess.
193. Mahakala Indian M Forms of Shiva.
194. Mahamari Indian F Killer.
195. Maheshvari Indian F Great lady.
196. Mahila Indian F Woman.
197. Malajit Indian M Victorious.
198. Marisha Indian F Dew.
199. Matrika Indian F Divine mother.
200. Matsya Indian M Fish.
201. Mehadi Indian F Flower.
202. Mehtar Indian M Prince.
203. Mesha Indian M Ram.
204. Mira Indian F A mythical princess.
205. Mithra Indian M God of the sun.
206. Mitra Indian M God of the sun.
207. Mukul Indian M Blossoming.
208. Muni Indian M Silent.
209. Nara Indian M Man.
210. Nehru Indian M Canal.
211. Nidra Indian F Goddess of sleep.
212. Nila Indian M Blue.
213. Nipa Indian F Stream.
214. Nirveli Indian F From the water.
215. Odra Indian F From Odra.
216. Omparkash Indian M Light of God.
217. Padma Indian F Lotus.
218. Palash Indian M Flowering tree.
219. Panchika Indian M Husband of Abhirati.
220. Pandara Indian F Wife.
221. Pandu Indian M Pale.
222. Pani Indian M Pagan.
223. Pavaka Indian M Purifies.
224. Pavit Indian M Pious.
225. Pishachi Indian F Shrew.
226. Pitamaha Indian M Grandfather.
227. Pitar Indian M Father.
228. Pithasthana Indian F Wife of Shiva.
229. Pitri Indian M Father.
230. Poshita Indian M Dearly loved.
231. Pramlocha Indian F A mythical nymph.
232. Priyamkara Indian M Favorite son of Abhirati.
233. Pumeet Indian M Innocent.
234. Raji Indian M Name of a king.
235. Rajnish Indian M King of the gods.
236. Rakshasa Indian M A demon.
237. Raktavira Indian M A demon.
238. Raktim Indian M Bright red.
239. Rana Indian F Royal.
240. Ranjan Indian M Delights his parents.
241. Rashmika Indian F Sweet.
242. Rati Indian F Wife of Pradyumna.
243. Ratna Indian F A jewel.
244. Ravana Indian M An unjust king.
245. Ravati Indian F A mythical princess.
246. Ravi Indian M Sun.
247. Riddhi Indian F Wealthy.
248. Rishi Indian M Name of a priest.
249. Rudra Indian M Howls.
250. Ruma Indian F Queen of the apes.
251. Sachi Indian M Descended from the sun god.
252. Sahan Indian M Falcon.
253. Sahen Indian M Above.
254. Sahir Indian M Friend.
255. Sajag Indian M Watchful.
256. Saka Indian M From the Shaka.
257. Sakari Indian F Sweet.
258. Sakra Indian F From India.
259. Sakujna Indian F Bird.
260. Samantaka Indian M Destroys peace.
261. Samvarta Indian F A mythical mare.
262. Sandhya Indian F Twilight.
263. Sanjiv Indian M Long life.
264. Sanjna Indian F Conscientious.
265. Sany Indian F Born on Sunday.
266. Sara Indian F Soul.
267. Sarama Indian F Quick.
268. Sati Indian F True.
269. Satyavati Indian F True.
270. Saubhari Indian M Name of a hermit.
271. Saura Indian F Of the Saura.
272. Savarna Indian F Same color.
273. Savitari Indian F Daughter of Ashvapati.
274. Sevti Indian F White rose.
275. Shaibya Indian F Faithful wife.
276. Shaitan Indian M A demon.
277. Shaka Indian M From the Shaka.
278. Shakini Indian F Demon.
279. Shakra Indian F Owl.
280. Shaktar Indian M Name of a hermit.
281. Shakti Indian M Powerful.
282. Shalya Indian M Throne.
283. Shamba Indian M Son of Krishna.
284. Shami Indian M Husband.
285. Shankara Indian M Grand.
286. Shapa Indian F Cursed.
287. Sharada Indian F Lute.
288. Sharama Indian F Dog of dawn.
289. Shashi Indian F Moon.
290. Shashida Indian M Ocean.
291. Shasti Indian F Goddess of childbirth.
292. Shesha Indian M King of serpents.
293. Shetan Indian M A demon.
294. Shitala Indian F Goddess of smallpox.
295. Shiva Indian M God of the moon.
296. Shraddha Indian F Faithful.
297. Shri Indian F Wealthy.
298. Shudra Indian M Bom to the lowest caste.
299. Sita Indian F Furrow.
300. Sitara Indian F Moming star.
301. Skanda Indian M God of war.
302. Sunreet Indian M Pure.
303. Sur Indian F Sharp nosed.
304. Taj Indian M Crown.
305. Takshaka Indian M Carpenter.
306. Tandu Indian M God of dancing.
307. Tapati Indian F Daughter of the sun god.
308. Tara Indian F Goddess of the sea.
309. Taraka Indian F Demon.
310. Tathagata Indian M Walks the straightway.
311. Tayib Indian M Good.
312. Tripada Indian M God of fever.
313. Trishna Indian F Desired.
314. Trisna Indian F Desired.
315. Tulsi Indian F Basil.
316. Uja Indian M Grow.
317. Uma Indian F Bright.
318. Upala Indian F Opal.
319. Usha Indian F Daughter of Bana.
320. Ushas Indian F Dawn.
321. Utathya Indian M Name of a wise man.
322. Vac Indian F Well spoken.
323. Vach Indian F Well spoken.
324. Valmiki Indian M Name of a poet.
325. Varaza Indian F Boar.
326. Varuna Indian M Infinite.
327. Varunani Indian F Goddess of wine.
328. Vasin Indian M Ruler.
329. Vasistha Indian M Wealthy.
330. Vasu Indian M Wealthy.
331. Vasuki Indian M King of the serpents.
332. Vema Indian F Goddess of sex.
333. Vibishana Indian M Frightening.
334. Vina Indian F A stringed instrument.
335. Vinata Indian F Daughter of Daksha.
336. Vineeta Indian F Simple.
337. Visha Indian M Poison.
338. Vivek Indian M Wise.
339. Vivika Indian F Wisdom.
340. Vrishni Indian M Manly.
341. Vritra Indian M A demon.
342. Vyasa Indian M Name of a poet.
343. Yamuna Indian F From the Yamuna river.
344. Yasiman Indian F Jasmine.
345. Yasmina Indian F Jasmine.
346. Yasmine Indian F Jasmine.
347. Zudora Indian F Labors.

Should be enough?!?!?! ~;)

Jay Tee
01-31-2005, 22:33
Korean first names:

1. Bon-hwa Korean M Glorious.
2. Chin-Hwa Korean M The most wealthy.
3. Chin-Mae Korean M Truth.
4. Chul Korean M Firm.
5. Chul-moo Korean M Iron weapon.
6. Chung-Hee Korean M Righteous.
7. Chung-Ho Korean M Variant of Chung-Hee: Righteous.
8. Dak-Ho Korean M Deep lake.
9. Dong Korean M East.
10. Dong-sun Korean M Eastern integrity.
11. Dong-yul Korean M Eastern passion.
12. Duck-hwan Korean M Integrity returns.
13. Duck-young Korean M Integrity lasts.

Jay Tee
01-31-2005, 22:37
More Korean names:

Bae Male Korean Inspiration.
Bo-Bae female Korean treasure, precious
Chin Male Korean The precious one.
Cho Female Japanese/Korean A butterfly. Korean beautiful.
Dae Female Korean Greatness.
Gi Male Korean The brave one.
Ha-Neul male Korean sky
Ha-Neul female Korean sky
Hea female Korean grace
Ho Male Chinese/Korean Goodness.
Jin Male Chinese/Korean Chinese: Golden. Korean: A jewel. A boy or girl's name.
Jin Female Chinese/Korean Chinese: Golden. Korean: A jewel. A boy or girl's name.
Joo-Chan male Korean praise the Lord
Joo-Eun female Korean silver pearl
Jung male Korean righteous
Kwan Male Korean Strong.
Kyon Female Korean Brightness.
Min female Korean cleverness
Moon female Korean letters
Seung male Korean successor, winning
Shin female Korean belief
Soo Female Korean Along life.
Sun Male Chinese/Korean Chinese: Bending, or decreasing. Korean: Goodness. A boy or girl's name.
Sun Female Chinese/Korean Chinese: Bending, or decreasing. Korean: Goodness. A boy or girl's name.
Yon Female Korean A lotus blossom.
Yong Male Korean The brave one

Jay Tee
01-31-2005, 22:52
Demon names:

Abbadon
Adramelech
Arbaal
Archaios ophis
Ahpuch
Ahriman
Amon
Apollyn
Asmodeus
Astaroth
Azazel
Baalberith
Balaam
Baphomet
Bast
Beelzebub
Behemoth
Beherit
Bile'
Chenosh
Cimeries
Dagon
Damballa
Demogorgon
Diabolus
Emma-o
Euronymous
Fenriz
Gorgo
Haborym
Heylel ben shacher
Ishtar
Kali
Kaluwa
Lilith
Loki
Mammon
Mania
Mantus
Marduk
Mastema
Melek Taus
Mephistopheles
Metztli
Mictian
Milcom
Naamah
Nergal
Nihasa
Nija
O-Yama
Prosperine
Pwcca
Rimmon
Sabazios
Sammael
Samnu
Sedit
Set
Shaitan
Shamad
Shiva
Supay
T'an-mo
Tchort
Tezcatlipoca
Thamuz
Thoth
Tunrida
Typhon
Yaotzin
Yen-lo-Wang

And here is a link to a demon name generator sp you can get as many names as you like:
http://www.seventhsanctum.com/generate.php?Genname=adname

:bow:

hoggy
02-01-2005, 08:05
Wow Jay Tee, fantastic stuff! justmeandthedog is writing a bit of code to help us input these names and with yours and Sykotyk Rampage's we should be a fair way to dealing with this rather large job. Many thanks :bow:

Sheep
02-01-2005, 11:19
Are your demons going to be Asian-themed only? Or are you planning on using them from non-Asian cultures as well?

hoggy
02-03-2005, 11:31
Mostly asian themed only for the demon names. Sykotyk Rampage is currently working on the portraits and they have a mixture of references which hint at times of a demonic western invasion.

HolsteinCow
02-05-2005, 21:57
What culture do the monks represent?

hoggy
02-06-2005, 13:17
The monks are going to be a mixture of different cultures, indian, tibettan, chinese, japanese etc.

HolsteinCow
02-06-2005, 23:23
And which three factions will take orders from the senate?

blindfaithnogod
02-07-2005, 02:23
the roman factions will change to the monks.

justmeandthedog
02-07-2005, 23:35
I'm 90% finished with the name text file generator tool (just need to find bugs now and fix the names like "of the North", "the Horrible", etc... right now it only picks up the first word).

For now.. I just sent it to hoggy for testing blue lotus and when I work out the kinks i'll make it public for the rest.

Does anyone know anything about all that junk at the end of /data/texts/names.txt? Do i need to keep that there? It can be done... but I want to know the point of it before I start cluttering these files.

Also I want to make sure everyone agrees here on how the "names" work in this game.

Current theory says that in order to have a name work, it must be in the descr_names.txt (obviously), and also it needs to be in descr_names_lookup.txt and /texts/names.txt. I was able to change names ONLY when i made appropriate changes to all 3 files.

Maybe anyone have a more elaborate theory on the relationship between these 3 files? It seems pretty pointless that way it's setup... which is what this tool is for (eliminates the need to retype and format the other 2 files).

Sahran
06-28-2005, 13:20
If it is not too late, I would like to provide a listing of Indian, Chinese, and Japanese names.

http://www.20000-names.com/male_indian_names.htm

http://www.20000-names.com/male_japanese_names.htm

hoggy
06-28-2005, 14:16
ah.. we've got them sorted now but thank you for the offer. Sykotic Rampage got them all together wityh help from the forums etc.

HunkinElvis
06-30-2005, 03:56
Here are some common Korean last names:

Kim
Lee (or Yi but both are pronounced as 'E')
Park (or Pak)*
Choi (pronounced as 'Chweh')
Hwang*
Ahn (or An)*
Han*
Suh (or So)
Byun
Ko
Chae
Cha*
Na*
Ra*
Ha*
Kwang*
Wang*
Kwok
Erl {(or Erlji).-> I don't know which one because it's a very rare last name. Only one general is known to have this name in history. His relatives are unknown. Some historians even think that the general might be a foreigner. There were Indian and Arab merchants and people from northern Manchuria in Korea over a thousand years ago.}

You could add these last names to the first names that Jay Tee provided. The last name comes before the first name.

*pronounce the 'a' like in 'chalk'.