PDA

View Full Version : Gallic Chariots

Moros
01-25-2005, 21:55
Did you add Gallic Chariots cause they had Chariots to I don't have a picture now tgough there's one in my latin book from the halstatt period or something similar. (this was mainly used by warlords.

The Panda Centurion
01-26-2005, 23:38
The chariot fell out of use on the mainland as horse breeding became more advanced. By the time the game starts, the chariot was gone from mainland Europe, it just wasn't needed. It stayed in Britain only because the horses there were not interbred as much and were therefore smaller and not as useful for riding. Besides, the Halstatt period is long before 270 BC.

- Panda

PSYCHO V
01-27-2005, 02:12
The chariot fell out of use on the mainland as horse breeding became more advanced. By the time the game starts, the chariot was gone from mainland Europe, it just wasn't needed. It stayed in Britain only because the horses there were not interbred as much and were therefore smaller and not as useful for riding. Besides, the Halstatt period is long before 270 BC.

- Panda

um.. not entirely true. Chariots were used up until late 2nd C BC on the mainland, esp by the Redones. Bituitos the High King (Arverni Alliance) fielded chariots when he was defeated by the Romans in 123BC.

We will porbably depict them as an early Gallic unit..to be superceeded by more advanced cavalry.

The Panda Centurion
01-27-2005, 05:33
I meant to say that they were not used in sufficient quantities to be used as a true unit, even that of a warlord. But i admit that they were used sometimes by people who wanted to look impressive; i doubt that they were used very much in war.

- Panda