PDA

View Full Version : Uniformal colouring vs graphical flavour

GodsPetMonkey
02-08-2005, 02:48
This is a tough, but important one, and one of the few design choices with a huge impact on my work.

Do we prefer a uniformal colouring of a factions units (for easier identification, similar to what CA does with its units, but not always so blatent) or a mixture of colours for more historical realism (well, as close as you can get seeing theres about 60 guys per unit all wearing the same clothes) and some variation in looks on the battlefield, resulting in some better eye candy.

Its easy enough to change the colours of the clothing being worn, but I'm already discovering that a uniformal colour doesn't look the best.

I'm not particularly interested in a poll, more just peoples opinions on the matter.

Ignoramus
02-08-2005, 03:08
Well, I think uniform uniform colours on units look nice, but they aren't very historical.
I mean, who heard of Purple Parthian Horse Archers? Or, Cyan Thracian Falxmen? I think that with the universal units, such Halberdiers or Pikemen, should be faction colours for each faction, but the faction specific units should have realistic colouring.

Uesugi Kenshin
02-08-2005, 04:21
I think that it should be done somewhat on a unit by unit basis, they all need to look different enough to be pretty easy to pick out from the rest but I think only generic units like Halberdiers need to be given uniformal coloring. Most unique units will probably look unique enough as it is so historical coloring would be fine, but if they look too similar to a unit we should make sure that the colors are somewhat different.

Have I confused anyone?

Yggdrasill
02-08-2005, 08:45
I'm in favour of more diversity in aproach. Confusion in battles was common in those days and it only adds to historical reality not detract from it.

Uesugi Kenshin
02-09-2005, 04:38
We can take a look at it, as long as it is not too confusing and overtly frustrating. Units should look a bit unique and relatively distinctive if they can though. We chould not have two units from different factions that have the exact same color scheme unless we can'help it.

GodsPetMonkey
02-09-2005, 05:52
We can take a look at it, as long as it is not too confusing and overtly frustrating. Units should look a bit unique and relatively distinctive if they can though. We chould not have two units from different factions that have the exact same color scheme unless we can'help it.

Well, either way, I am trying to avoid units from different factions looking alike...

But the heavily armoured units will be a bit harder then others with this (its a big lump of metal!) but thats an issue for both options.

massamuusi
02-09-2005, 19:14
To me, a few armbands or such that carry the faction colour would be enough. Flags make a big difference.

Uesugi Kenshin
02-10-2005, 04:33
Yeah flags are the most important, I believe we will be using the faction symbols in the title thread for those. When the troops do look alike though it will be cool to zoom in so the flags dissappear and it is just a mass of metal lumps bashing into each other.

massamuusi
02-11-2005, 12:57
Yeah flags are the most important, I believe we will be using the faction symbols in the title thread for those. When the troops do look alike though it will be cool to zoom in so the flags dissappear and it is just a mass of metal lumps bashing into each other.

Yes, that'd be cool, not just cool but also pretty authentic.

If you wish to have faction specific colouring on them, please make it quite minimalistic, like an armband on left arm or something. I didn't like MTW/RTW style at all. For example, brutii legionaries look so much better with red uniform and only a minimalistic blue sign somewhere on the uniform. Maybe they didn't use any such things on their uniforms in reality, but a small armband like thingie is imo a very good compromise.

Uesugi Kenshin
02-12-2005, 02:05
Sounds like a good way to go.

Godspetmonkey can you do that?