PDA

View Full Version : Shimazu Ichi

ichi
02-08-2005, 05:36
The Story of Shimazu Ichi

Born in the mountains of Aki, he grew up strong among the rocks and woods. Good early schooling and training gave him advantages later in life - good acumen and warrior skills.

His first fascination was with the sword, but when one day he saw an exhibition by Cavalry Archers - they rode at full gallop and shot a plum as they passed - he dreamed of mastering the horse and bow.

Being not of high birth, and because at the time the Mori Clan was built around Yari and Monks, he was unable to find a Dojo to train as a Cavalry Archer. Through the grace of the Gods, he found his way to Buzen and was trained in the ways of the Yari Samurai.

When he emerged as a General he was well suited for a life of leadership, and it came naturally. Suddenly the Daimyo (and the Gods too) took notice of him, for the Clan was hard pressed on both ends of the peninsula. A Yari General with good acumen, good command, and high loyalty (only his piety was low) and the Virtue of being a Fine Leader was quickly sent to help fight.

He led the army into Bizen, then Sanuki, winning both fights easily and with little loss of men. Then across the bridge in Awa, a bloody fight whose outcome was only certain near the end. But he learned much about fighting on a bridge, lessons that would prove invaluable later in life.

Tosa was held by rabble, a large number of Ashigaru best dealt with through the tools of the emissary. So Ichi turned to Awaji, and with the survivors of the bridge in Awa and few new recruits, took the small island and was rewarded by being named No-Kami Awaji.

He spent five years there, until the Daimyo's navy arrived in the seas surrounding the island, thus reducing the threat of an invasion by sea. But in that time Lord Ichi grew to love the island and its inhabitants, learning much of their culture and, despite his prejudices, actually enjoying it there.

He was sent to Harima, and by pure chance arrived at the same time a large army of Uesugi came in. Another bloody battle with Lord Ichi in command; outnumbered, he held the province and saved the Heir (a two-star general with some odd qualities) by deploying at the top of a low rise; Ichi's Yari Samurai unit waited until a gap opened in the line, he went through and turned on the Uesugi Cav Gen, and the whole line routed.

He known thereafter as as a Skilled Defender.

Then into Kawachi, another bridge battle, but this was very different. A quick and decisive victory, and Lord Ichi was rewarded with the title of Yari-Bugyo.

He spent the ret of his life holding the frontier against Ukita, Uesugi and Oda, twice tested but never seriously threatened.

He left once to raid Kii, pillaging the province and earning the hatred of the people there. Once he travelled to Bingo to be outfitted with new armor and weapons, but returned immediately.

Although he was Governor of Awaji until his death, he never returned, and kept the province garrisoned with one unit each of Yari Ashigaru and Ashigaru Crossbowmen. He never raised taxes, and built a Dojo for the training of Cavalry Archers, to provide the opportunity for others that he never had.

While he held the frontier in Kawachi, the Mori Clan expanded their territory at the expense of the Shimazu, Otomi, and Ryuzoji Clans taking the island of Kyushu.

He would have preferred to be where the fighting was, but Lord Mori called on him to hold on to the gains he had made. He lived a comfortable life, kept the garrison strong, and was well respected and liked by his men and the citizens (perhaps his high dread level played a role in this).

Being kept in one province took its toll, and what started as a small Vice of Greed eventually became Avarice. This caused some dissension but Lord Mori turned his eye, ignoring this fault in order to have a safe border.

Two years after Satsuma fell and the Shimazu Daimyo was slain, and just as the Mori Clan was cleaining up the last rebellions and reorganizing their forces to turn north against Oda, Lord Ichi died. Of natural causes.

He had spent nearly all of his life looking over the bridge into Yamashiro, gazing toward the Emperors Palace. An attacker by nature, he had become the Lord's defender. He dreamt of riding horses and shooting arrows, but lived by the Yari. As skilled as any, more so than most, his was never the fate to be Shogun. Just a general holding a bridge while the fighting went on elsewhere.

In the end he accepted this fate as the cost of Bushido, the way of the warrior. Samurai means literally to serve, and he served three Mori Daimyo as well as any.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I'd like to thank Barocca and all those who made the STW Mod for MTW a reality. It was really neat to see a character loosely based on my character. I remember when the call for Shogun Generals went out, and I was a little apprehensive about asking for a character with command stars and acumen, but . . .

I've played thru prolly 20 Shogun campaigns, but I've never had as much fun as this time. I've followed characters before, but never, never checked up on a guy every single turn. When Ichi got his Skilled Defender Virtue, I was genuinely happy for him. When he became greedy, I was disappointed. Too much fun.

Arigatou to the mod devs, for the mod and the crazy idea to build characters based on characters.

I strongly recommend the STW Mod campaign; sure there's a few glitches, like General 'Spare Hero Slot', and once a rebellion of Viking Raider Cav appeared in Suo, but overall it's quite enjoyable.

ichi :bow:

Monk
02-11-2005, 03:59
Fine story ichi.

you're right, the STW mod for MTW is great. I had a lot of fun playing through a number of campaigns in it, but i'm sure nowhere near as much fun if i were a character. But then again, what would a Monk be doing in a Yari Samurai unit anyway? ~;p if you're still playing MTW/VI, there was a hero editor that let you add in characters with any name appearing in a certain province in a certain year. I tried it once, had fun when i found myself as a 5 star Ghulam Cavalry commander leading the Almohads against Spain. trouble was...i was spain that game ~D

glad you found you're way into the mead hall and took some time to write this. There's just not enough STW stories IMHO ~:cheers:

ichi
02-15-2005, 02:43
*bows* @ Monk

Nice place, you keep it maintained and clean I can see.

I just hope Barocca swings thru and reads my post.

ichi :bow:

Drisos
02-15-2005, 14:07
very nice story! ~;)

did you made it up all by yourself?? :bow:

you should be a writer!

ichi
02-15-2005, 16:41
*blushes*

Wilbo
02-16-2005, 14:37
That was a great story, Ichi, I am happily smiling to myself now.

UglyandHasty
02-16-2005, 14:55
Indeed nice story mate ! :bow: