PDA

View Full Version : vertical exaggeration

Big_John
02-11-2005, 22:33
i think i read that EB was not going to mess with the battlemaps at all. but this has been bugging me.. to me, it looks like the vertical scaling (especially of mountains as scenery outside the battle zone) is way too exaggerated. i've been in the alps and the himalayas.. and mountain slopes just aren't always that sharp. the actual battlefield seems skewed to me also. in hilly regions, i get the distinct impression that i'm controlling ants running around on a ruffled bed cover. i never got that impression from the mtw battles..

just curious, don't know how hard it'd be the change the scaling anyway. i'm tempted to play with the values in the "descr_geography.txt" file, but i'm not really playing this game until EB comes out anyway :/

thanks

hellenes
02-11-2005, 22:41
Also the RED zone is TOO SMALL!!!
CA made this in order to attract the fast clicking basbuilding dumpasses with faster "battles" using just the mouse and not their brain!!!
Will EB make the maps bigger?
So I can finally play Parthia on Huge unit size?

Hellenes

ah_dut
02-11-2005, 22:51
I work on the organisation size as opposed to direct modding (due to being kinda slow in that sort of dpartment) but AFAIK it's impossible to change the size of the battlefield that you fight on

Sarcasm
02-12-2005, 03:42
Fort and Siege battles are played in bigger maps. Maybe thereĀ“s something useful in this fact....

WrathOfMe
02-12-2005, 20:37
some mountains are sloped that sharply. Pike's Peak, near where i live (USA) is extremely sharply sloped, as are many of the mountains in the rockies...but not in europe, the ranges there are older and more rounded off - i noticed this also. and fighting as Seleucids against Egypt just south of those mountains between Sidon and Damascus (right near the Dead sea) there was literally about a 70 degree tilt down toward the river and the sea. ive never been there, but this didnt seem realistic to me at all - besides the fact that a horse charging down that slope would probably take a little tumble :charge:

eadingas
02-12-2005, 22:00
"Old World" doesn't mean the mountains are old ;) Parts of Alps, Carpathians, Appenines are still emerging, and they're still quite young. Last month we had a small earthquake here in northern Carpathians :)

Big_John
02-12-2005, 22:40
the carpathians are actually quite old, they formed in the alleghenian orogeny, about 300 million years ago, the earthquake was part of the old chain 'settling', not building ~;). the apennines are rather young, forming mostly in the early miocene (~20 million years ago). the alps are rather complicated.. the traditional alpine orogeny is dated ~150 million years ago, but it's had several more recent phases, and is still actively building (somewhat).

i guess it's a moot point, since EB isn't going to touch the battlemaps, afaik. but while certainly one can have very steep scarps and cliffs, they are exceptions, not the norm.. even for relatively 'young' mountains. it's not a huge complaint anyway.

though increasing the size of the battlemap (the "red square") is a good idea, i wonder if EB has talked to CA about this aspect?

eadingas
02-12-2005, 23:22
Not really, the Carpathian core material was formed during the Alleghenian (if I read the US terms correctly - it's Hercynian in Europe, right?), but what is now Carpathians is part of Alpine orogeny, especially northern, highest parts, Tatras and outer Carpathians are no more than 28 mln old, and they _are_ steep and sharp in places. And they are still building up, as Pannonian block still moves northwards.

GeWee
02-15-2005, 07:33
I don't think the question whether there are steep mountains in the world is very important. I'd rather know whether ancient armies really were as suicidal as in Rome where they march and fight on slopes that are more suited for mountain climbing... :P

Southern Hunter
03-07-2005, 07:05
Could we write a program to go through the heights file and multiply all values by a factor (say 0.6) or something?

Hunter

Big_John
03-07-2005, 07:07
whoa.. what the.. where did this thread come from?

Reverend Joe
03-13-2005, 07:40
Would someone please delete this thread? It's been done for almost a month... and it's so random...

khelvan
03-13-2005, 07:57
Naw, if you guys want to continue to post in random threads, keeping them alive, I'm not going to stop you. You'll just have to restrain yourselves ~:cool:

Reverend Joe
03-24-2005, 21:26
This is such a wierd thread... let's keep it alive forever and just post random sh*t on it.

Reverend Joe
03-24-2005, 21:26
For starters:

:happyg: :hairpin2: ~;) :bow: :charge: :barrel: ~:confused: ~D :duel: :embarassed: ~:grouphug: :help: :idea2: ~:joker: :knight: ~:mecry: :oops: ~:rolleyes: :skull: :surrender: :2thumbsup: :blankg: :whip: :yes: :egypt: :thumbsdown: :beadyeyes2: :smiley2: :rockstar: :mask: :rtwno: :square: :santa3: :argue: :hat2: :charming: :fireman: :cowboy: :bomb2: :grin: :deal: :party3: :stooge_curly: :ears: :cheesy: :embarassedg: :iloveyou: :rifle: :freak:

Aaah... the most anoying post ever.

Sorry.

Reverend Joe
04-02-2005, 00:01
~:cheers: :dizzy2: ~:eek: :furious3: ~:handball: :hide: :juggle2: :laugh4: :sweatdrop: :wall: :whip: :smash: :bomb: :argue: :smitten: :rolleyes: :rolleyes2: :sleeping: :rolleyes3: :rolleyes4: :guitarist: :rolleyes5: :deal2: :gossip: :singer: :jawdrop: ~:idea: :scastle: ~:flirt: :scared: ~:argue: :fainting: :bow: :charge: :duel: ~:joker: :knight: ~:mecry: ~:rolleyes: :surrender: ~:wave: :yes: :bigcry: :shocked: :juggle: :drummer: :snore: :sunny: :rifle:

...even more annoying ~D

khelvan
04-02-2005, 01:09
Random threads and comments are tolerable, spam is not. So please contribute something meaningful, even if it isn't on topic, rather than just spamming the boards ;)