PDA

View Full Version : The Fashionable Dacian

Quietus
02-16-2005, 08:34
The Fashionable Dacian
(a short story by Quietus)

It was the winter of season's last when we were assigned under the command of Oppius the Mean, the disinherited Brutii heir. Our orders were to attack and take the eastern Dacian cities, while the new heir, Gaius Victor, take the western portion.

Amulius the Great – the head of the Brutii clan – twice ignored and failed Senate missions to block Patavium. The Julii, fierce enemies of the Gallic peoples were assuredly behind this machination of the Senate. But the Gauls had been a good trading partner for the clan and Amulius the Great could simply not oblige. The Senate then loudly blamed the horrendously protracted war by the Julii armies on the Brutii’s unheeding ears. This rumor resulted in a disfavor amongst the Peoples of Rome. Vowing to reclaim lost clout and trust of his fellow Romans, Amulius the Great promised to conquer the Dacians instead.

He ordered his son, Oppius the Mean, once the heir to the throne to lead the initial thrust. Oppius was more than willing to prove worthier than what was assessed of him. He wanted to do much better than Gaius Victor. He does not believe an adopted Family member could rise to such heights. Gaius Victor, formerly Gaius Mela was a lowly garrison commander. He caught the attention of Amulius when news spread that he crushed a rebel army camped near Thermon.

Months before, we have conquered Porrolissum. And the week before, we were attacked by Dacian reinforcements undoubtedly sent from Vicus Venedae, while we lay fresh siege upon Campus Iazages. With good portents, fresh, new troops and tremendous generalship of master Oppius, we have withered the fierce incoming onslaught.

Suddenly, the situation of the besieged enemy is hopeless. There are no more outside help and the siege engines are done and constructed. Aside from the heavy cavalry of the Dacian general, the city of approximately 8000 was defended only by two bands of Chosen Swordsmen. Albeit, wild and destructive in combat, they can be easily picked apart by arrows and other skirmishing instruments. Our troops, already depressed in numbers still compare much more than the defenders.

Hence, the bloody day has begun. Two battering rams worked the south and eastern gates….

To be continued….

Quietus
02-16-2005, 21:40
The Fashionable Dacian: continued....

Our spies were hard at work before the siege. Their task was to know as much about the general and the army composition. For their best efforts they were stunted gathering information on the former. In their reports at the barracks, they referred to him only as “the Fashionable Dacian”, to which the whole company laughs to, every time the phrase is uttered.

“Every day, at the setting of the sun, The Fashionable Dacian :::soldiers roar with laughter::: would inspect the grounds and the arrow towers, making sure everything is in proper order”.

In a short flash, the fastened gates were broken. Two auxiliary units quickly poured in the eastern side, coursing towards the back route to secure the exits and preclude any defenders from escaping. Meanwhile, as the main army flows forward into the streets, a lonely group of heavy cavalry canters from the eastern seclusion. It was the Fashionable Dacian general.

There is a truly peculiar air about this warrior: looking refined and un-barbaric, he approached the invaders, as if strolling through the garden in the morning. Sporting lustrous henna beard, rustic armor, registered headgear and an impeccable, plaid uniform, he gallops on, watching intently the faces and uniforms of the conquerors, searching and studying it seems.

Then he charged. The professional soldiers of Oppius were by no means surprised. They were ready. And there were no laughter. The mercenary hoplites lowered their sharp phalanges. The Hastati and Principes moved to the flanks and shot their pila. And the archers outside the walls were strumming their bows in unison. The heavy cavalry routs after a gallant stand.

The general and his remaining men runs back to the town square, while Swordsmen hurriedly charge to aid their retreating leader. For their bravery, their reward was death; for they were quickly enveloped and killed. Seeing their comrades fall, the last unit of Swordsmen asked their chief to die honorably. The general, seeing that they are surrounded, assented with a curt nod. The Swordsmen made their last howl and charged to their death.
http://img16.exs.cx/img16/2579/dacia26ve.th.jpg (http://img16.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img16&image=dacia26ve.jpg)

At last, Oppius the Mean slowly emerged from the encirclement, and ordered the archers to shoot at the remaining bodyguards. In mere seconds, only the Fashionable Dacian stand.
http://img70.exs.cx/img70/3921/sdacian19se.th.jpg (http://img70.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img70&image=sdacian19se.jpg)

“Barbarian! Warrior! Fashionable Da-cian!” The troops could not hold it any longer, and they broke down with controlled laughter. “If you want to live”, continued Oppius “you will betray your kind, then aid and guide us toward your mysterious lands and armies”.

“And who might be this sprightly and spirited Roman who orders ME?” answered the Dacian with indignation.

“My name is Oppius the Mean, son of Amulius the Great, leader of the mighty Brutii order. Now, speak! Speak right and you will be spared!”

Strangely, the Dacian instantly changed demeanor. He no longer appeared as the Fashionable Dacian. He smirked and plunged into a true barbarian’s fit of laughter, as if he had actually won the battle.

“This façade is no longer needed” he said brusquely. He obviously is a completely different character from which he had shown the whole time. The pompousness was replaced by a shrewd, steely mein. The fabulous costume, it seemed, is now out of place.

“My name is Scylurus....” As soon as the name flew out of his lips, sounds of unsheathing gladius hissed about and angry cries from his soldiers followed. Oppius looked around and sees his older veterans who were merry a minute ago are now seething with bellicose passion, waving their swords at the Dacian.

“Kill him!!” cried one.

“Destroy him!” added another.

“Death!! Death!! He must die!!”

Oppius was dumbfounded for a moment. Then it struck him. The name! Oppius was a not just a highly trained soldier and commander but also a student of history. He remembered as a child asking his father, Amulius, about the enemy generals: Dacians, Thracians, Macedonians, Greeks and their tactics, to which he readily answers. Except for one whom he noticed his father tried to avoid every time the name comes up: Scyrulus.

He was a legendary Dacian general who successfully defended the Brutii’s advances, right before the Thracian invasion and the Great War that followed. He defeated his father twice, who back then was one of the leading candidates to become the Brutii heir. According to the scrolls, he disappeared before the Thracians invaded. But that was nearly 20 years ago; he was still an infant and could not have known this by memory. What could have caused his long disappearance?

Oppius noticed the Dacian is staring at him slyly. Oppius glanced back at the warlord. Amid all this, the veterans continues their chants of “death”. Oppius intervened, holding both his palms out to his constituents: “Men! Silence!” The noise died down immediately.

Oppius turned back to the Warlord. “Barbarian! Warrior! Mighty Dacian! Tell us your story.” Oppius gestured to his troops to lower their weapons. His men quickly complied.

Only the sound of the soft wind permeated the chilly air as they wait for Scyrulus to speak….

To be continued….

Quietus
02-19-2005, 01:56
The Fashionable Dacian: continued...

The Dacian’s horse took a step forward. His new presence illuminated the area. Every soldier gazed at their vaunted enemy. Scyrulus began narrating.

“It was twenty long years ago” his real voice, garrulous and warrior-like, “I was a general at the outskirts of the Dacian nation. That year, Brutii had reinstated their quest for Roman expansion. They attacked our settlements and sold our brethren to slavery. Then, they claimed our land as their own.

The Roman armies were led by an ambitious general named Amulius the Brave. I would say he truly relished making a name for himself. He has the makings of a Brutii heir-to-the throne”. The Dacian looked around at the faces of the invaders and added:

“We peaceful Dacians had no choice but to protect our own borders and sanctity! Amulius was brave indeed, but we were the better fighters. Twice we have met their main forces and twice we have driven them back! Amulius. He, did not take his great defeats lightly, for their leader, Tiberius Brutus was frail and it is hurting his chances of being selected heir. Amulius was desperate for a solution.

He had penchance for spies & assassins and had sent a pack of these ignoble seekers to find our desolated hideaways. But fortune was not on their side. For every time they get close, our own secret Shadows took them out! Who knew this land more than their true masters and shepherds! Now, Amulius was not to be denied. The cunning ones always have other plans!

The Gauls. They had long been our friend and ally against the Germans and against the Romans. For years, the Julii clan had been slowly absorbing their lands and cities. Amulius knew this. With devious insight, he speedily arranged a secret pact with the compromising Gallic chieftains. Amulius agreed to use his spies to alert the Gauls of the Julii’s plans, while the Gauls would betray us of our hidden sanctuaries. Amulius must have been proud of himself, he knew he was hitting two birds with one stone. This agreement will stunt the Julii expansion while aiding his personal quest for roman glory.

And I was the first target. While returning home from one of my long scouting missions with my top Shadows – assessing enemy movements - we were evilly greeted with a wrenching panorama of death and devastation. The whole city was massacred. My soldiers, my brethren and my wife were all killed, while the camps burn and reduced to scorched ashes. I was bathed in searing pain and hate.

Outside the gate was a letter, addressed to myself, Scyrulus.

THEY had taken my young son. And Amulius, the scoundrel, wishes to obtain my cooperation in rooting out the Dacian armies hidden in blankets of forests and hills.” The Dacian paused a bit and took a heavy breath.

“But Amulius was mistaken!” Scyrulus defiantly proclaimed, “for he underestimated Scyrulus! I can match his cunning and more!!

The strenght and conviction of his voice nearly shook the spell-bound audience.

"I ordered my Shadows to alert our High Chief, his armies and his deputies of the wicked plot, for I had my own mission.

The following day, I headed for the city of Larissa, the former Macedonian city, and home of Amulius. To appease the Macedonian citizens, Amulius held weekly Gladiatorial games and races. Thus, I took the guise of a Velite Gladiator and gained a safe passage. At night, I scoured the city for my son yet he was nowhere to be discovered.

There was one only place I hadn’t sought.

Amulius’ mansion was formidable in security. But, I realized that confronting Amulius himself was the only taske left to be done. Working in darkness is second in nature to a Dacian. I have hunted in the dim forests all of my life. Taking out guards under the shadows, numerous as they are, were as simple as snaring deer.

One by one, they fell by my knife, for I, Scyrulus was once one of the fearsome Shadows. Finally, I snuck inside the chamber with intention and anticipationto catch Amulius unaware. Dashed! The room was evidently empy of life!

Until I have noticed a crib. In it was a baby, but It was not of my being but of Amulius’: his son. Amulius’ wife died while giving birth to their only son and he was the only memory left by his beloved half. I gently took away his son and quickly escaped by the sewers. I made haste for time was against me. I’m deep inside Roman territory with my horse – that I’ve hidden beside a nearby brook – as my only escape.

At the break of the morning, I was galloping back for a long trek home. I’ve failed in my goal but gained an unlikely, but powerful bargaining tool and position. I looked back at Larissa from the hills. I could distinctly see groups of Equites flying out the gates while the trumpets aggressively blare. I have no doubt that the distinctive knife that I’ve left behind – one carrying my family seal – will be making its way to Amulius in no time.

A month later after my triumphant escape, I’ve received a message from one my Shadows. Amulius wanted an exchange.” Scyrulus paused and stroked his beard with his left hand, while his right still brandish a sword. He then declared as-a-matter-of-fact:

“A simple man would have agreed but as I have said before, a cunning man always has another plan!”

The Roman soldiers quizzically buzzed amongst themselves, while Oppius felt uncomfortable and uneasy the whole time. Oppius knew he was the only son of Amulius!

To be continued….

The Stranger
02-19-2005, 16:23
wow good writing. more, more.

Quietus
02-22-2005, 02:27
wow good writing. more, more.
Glad you liked it.

BTW, it is Scylurus not Scyrulus ( I keep misspelling ~:cool: ).

The Stranger
02-22-2005, 11:47
go and see mine it's not totally finished yet. stopped wrighting because nobody looked it up.

master of the puppets
03-01-2005, 02:41
wow, you do have a knack

The Stranger
03-02-2005, 09:51
c'mon keep them comming

AntiochusIII
03-02-2005, 23:24
Wait! Where is Scyrulus the fashionable Dacian, champion of the WORLD MUST BE FASHIONABLE (WMBF)?

Is he dead? Then...

VICTORIEEEEE EEEESSSSSSSS OURRSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

(amulius's herald)

Quietus
03-03-2005, 05:19
Wait! Where is Scyrulus the fashionable Dacian, champion of the WORLD MUST BE FASHIONABLE (WMBF)?

Is he dead? LOL ~D The story isn't finished yet.

Quietus
03-03-2005, 05:30

“Lies, lies!”, Oppius stammered red-faced “The gods would strike your chest with your lies! Deceit! Cheat!”

“Jupiter looks down upon you! His lighting rod stalking; do you not see the perils of your flagrant err?”

Scylurus simply grinned at the Roman’s outburst. “I am not done yet mighty Oppius. I’m perfectly sure the Romans want to know the whole truth.”

Oppius looked around to his soldiers. They were silent, not even making eye contact. But this only meant they agree with the barbarian. Oppius heaved and sighed. He swallowed a bit of his pride and kept himself in check, despite the burning sensation he was feeling.

“Go on” said Oppius eventually and calmly. Scylurus acknowledged this with a short bow and a polite hand gesture.

“I sent my reply through my Shadows. It was a proposition that is difficult to swallow.”

“You could imagine how furious Amulius was! He balked at the idea. He cursed at fortune! Then he prayed to their gods!” Scylurus bursts with seedy satisfaction.

“But pray, I know his weakness. While his spies scoured the hills and countryside, he put his army on temporary hiatus. He could not risk the life of his own son!”

“And not only that!” the Dacian’s eyes now wide open, staring into space, his lips curled in a perverse grin. “If Tiberius finds out about this carelessness, he surely will be shunned as the Brutii heir. Amulius bought time! Time and again, he delayed his attacks, so his spies could pry. And pry they did!! But to no avail! Ha-ha-ha-ha ha-ha-ha!”

“But, this was not the end of Amulius. N-OO....” the Dacian mocked while shaking his head. ”The Roman gods have heard his pleas”.

“The Brutii armies’ inactivity stirred another opposition. Opportunity was beckoning and beguiling at their doors!”

Oppius muttered absently, “The Thracians….”

“The Thracians were wily fools!” Scylurus snorted. “The three months of Brutii timidity paints weakness to the opportunistic Thracian Chieftains. They thought the Romans were done for, and have quit after their great losses. Little did they know the situation behind of it all.”

“They had zealously sent their armies scurrying towards Thessalonica. Those smelly Thracians! They ransacked the city and thrashed the temples without abandon. Their scurrilous affront reached the old men of the Roman Senate. At once, they angrily ordered Tiberius Brutus to strike back, hard and swift!”

“Amulius, however, was ahead of the curve and saw this as a blessing. He was already preparing his Legions to retake Thessalonica. He sent a letter to Tiberius Brutus asking him to sue peace with the Dacians. He argued that fighting two wars is not within the Brutii’s interest.”

“Thus, with the provision to return back our lands including this city, Campus Iazages, the Brutii and the Dacians agreed to end their bloody conflict.”

“Although, the damage was already done. Half of those citizens were sold into slavery!” the Dacian added with utter disdain, before continuing on.

“Amulius’ armies quickly reached Thessalonica. And before the Thracians can even repair the broken gates they were surrounded and besieged. Within days, the battered city was liberated.”

“Amulius’ fame rose quickly. It was a victory that reverberated throughout Roman realm. Ordinary Romans saw him as a hero and a defender of Roman territories. Indeed. Tiberius Brutus was old and sick but not deaf, and has heard the plebeians’ calling. That year, before he died, he chose Amulius to be the next Brutii leader.”

“Alas, when Amulius returned to Larissa, he was wildly celebrated. They chanted his name ‘Amulius the Brave! Amulius the Savior! Amulius Brutus the Great!'”

“Amulius, there and then, announced Larrissa as the new Brutii capital in favor of the the old city of Tarentum. He promptly added that the Thracian threat will be dealt with. And to these proclamations the plebeians received with even greater enthusiasm and adulation.”

http://img110.exs.cx:81/img110/2619/dacian38ja.th.jpg (http://img110.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img110&image=dacian38ja.jpg)

“But as Amulius’ ambition and prospects swelled, so did his festering dilemma. And I knew this. He feared that his contemptible secrets will be revealed and the Roman People will not forgive his lies and dishonesty. My Shadows reported the increasing numbers of spies slithering through our lands.”

“Comb all they want but they could not find me.”

“If this were all true, then how was I rescued?” Oppius interrupts demandingly.

“You must understand that Amulius has no choice but to embrace the inevitable. Thus, in order to preserve his honor, his name - and especially his ambition - he raised his young Dacian captive as his own.”

Oppius appeared stunned beyond recognition, “But, but….”

“That is true Oppius. You are my true son” said Scylurus, his voice cracking a bit, “and you are a true Dacian.”

To be continued....

The Stranger
03-03-2005, 10:25
hahahaha a turnpoint

master of the puppets
03-05-2005, 04:16
niiiice, always love those twists of fate

don't stop more more i feast upon your words

The Stranger
03-05-2005, 15:10
yep bring 1n more

Quietus
03-07-2005, 21:52
Thx for the kind words ~:) .

Quietus
03-08-2005, 06:28

“But, but…” Opius continues, still a loss for words.

“I had no intention of coming back for you at all. It was my final decision that cannot be undone.”

“Much like what the Greeks said: ‘Conquered. We have conquered’. And they have conquered the Romans with their culture. But you. You were to be the first Dacian ruler of Rome,” Scylurus reasoned.

“And you? Where were you all of these years?” inquired Oppius, finally able to put words together.

“For twenty long years, Amulius and I played hide-and-seek. He was determined to beat me at this game and will not let his predicament get in the way of his lofty ambitions. I know that in able to win this match, I must disappear completely.”

“And so, I took his son with me out of Dacia and found our new home in a village outside of Thermon. There, under the guise of a widowed farmer and son, we lived quietly with the Roman folks.”

“That is until a year ago. Our small settlement was attacked by marauding bandits. Gauis, whom I taught the arts of night hunting, was returning home when he witnessed the scene.”

“He hurriedly made rounds to nearby towns to rally the peasants. When he returned, our gates were at near collapse. In an utmost display of bravery, he led the pitchfork wielders in a surprise charge at the backs of the mounted posse. We stormed out as well.”

“Amidst the blistering confusion and mayhem, a sharp, rusted prong made its way to the belly of the brigand leader. The horsemen routed and most of them were killed or captured”.

“News of this story spread fast, far and wide. It was a big talk in the bathhouses of Thermon. Eventually, word of the heroic deed floated into the ears of Amulius at Larissa”

Oppius stood enthralled, as the story is now evolving - with clarity - to a reality.

“The impressed and intrigued Amulius promptly invited Gauis to Larissa – perhaps to offer him a better position in the military. I could only guess how he deduced his true identity. Only I discovered this too late."

"One night while sleeping, I was awakened by familiar footsteps emanating from miles away. They had come for me! And the game was up! I left through the back woods and made journey toward my native province.”

“Thus, I made it here to Campus Iazages. They still remembered me, for I was their liberator from two decades back. And with their cooperation, I carefully assumed my new identity.”

Scylurus then asked point-blank:

“Do you still doubt me Oppius? Do you not feel the Dacian blood flowing and burning within your veins?”

Oppius understood but kept silent.

“Amulius. With his son returned to him, he had a free hand on Dacia once again. Even by orders of the Senate, he could not break his agreement with the Gauls by attacking them; for if the Gauls were to ever splay their secret pact out in the open, it will surely ruin him. BUT, he needed to repair his image that was tarnished by the Senate. All parts fell into its place. And to exact revenge for his long suffering, he chose you as the destroyer of Dacia. Is it a coincidence you were casted away for a new successor? Is it a coincidence that you were then chosen to lead this army? And then to hunt ME like an animal?”

“But…I didn’t even know you ‘til…” blurted Oppius, once again confused.

“N-OO. This was all planned. In fact, I smell a rat!”

“Bra-vo. Bra-vo!” a voice shot out from the gates accompanied by the stranger's slow, measured clapping and horses' feet tapping. Outside the walls, distant in the snowy, white western clearing, lines of Roman troops can be seen marching.

The visitor’s horse turned the corner and revealed himself to all.

It was Amulius Brutus in the flesh, royal bodyguards to his sides. Far back behind him he had brought his Legions.

To be continued....

master of the puppets
03-08-2005, 21:26
very good, if i may be so bold as to say "KICKASS BRO" in my american way

master of the puppets
03-14-2005, 14:27
uh...sorry if i offended you in any way...please write more, i cannot put down a good book nor lay off a fine story.

Quietus
03-17-2005, 21:01
uh...sorry if i offended you in any way... ~:confused: :laugh4:

please write more, i cannot put down a good book nor lay off a fine story. I'm still writing. I'm not finished with it though. ~:)

Monk
03-18-2005, 04:47
Quietus, i apologise for not replying to this sooner. :stwshame:

I liked the story, but i must admit i do not have time to fully reply to this now. I've not read it all but what i have read i enjoy.

Welcome Quietus to the Mead hall, i hope you enjoy your stay and finish this story soon ~D.

Quietus
03-19-2005, 22:17

“Amulius!” cried Scylurus, pointing his menacing dagger.

“Scy-lu-rus”, Amulius replied arrogantly as he approaches.

“Looks like…YOU have spoiled my fun once again”, sighed and lectured Amulius.

Then he crumpled his face in a tit of reverie and laughed in a very patrician way.

“You Dacians!” Amulius still enjoying himself, “You never seem to ever learn!”

Then he faced Oppius, who’s flabbergasted once more.

“Oppius. Oppius. Come child. I’ve no doubt Scylurus had explained this sordid affair. When this is all over, you will serve my son well for the glory of Ro….”

“How did you find out about Gaius?” Scylurus cut him off.

Amulius reared his head to barbarian.

“I noted this in his person”, he bluntly retorted while handily unsheathing an instrument and displaying it to everyone.

“Are you still in the dark? This dagger is similar to the one you’ve left inside my den twenty years ago” said Amulius tapping his temple.

Without hinting, he blindingly fired the knife at Scylurus. The implement passed the Dacian’s head, nearly grazing him and eventually burrowing into the Stone Shrine just behind. Scylurus didn’t flinch but the horse was momentarily startled.

“But where are my manners!?” apologized the Roman, “I must thank you for teaching my son – Gaius – the arts of shadow hunting.”

He resumed dramatically:

“Ahh, that night… my world was whole again. I kissed the feet of Mars' magnificent statue while watching my Arcanis march away to fetch my prey."

“Oh yes, you were slippery – thinking you have eluded me! But, you seemed to have forgotten, I have spies for every tree in the forest!”

“Poor Scy-lu-rus. No Shadows to protect you, eh?” added Amulius feigning sincerity.

“For twenty years, you’ve was-ted your life milking goats….”

“And what is this!?” suddenly remarking on Scylurus’ clothes.

“Scy-lu-rus. You… have growwwn old and tired - even with your flimsy disguises!”

“Look at you; you doddering fool! Reduced to foppish dresses! I should have brought my war dogs; they LOVE fancy snacks” Amulius’ teeth chattered as he taunted, his jaw snapping and contorting like that of the canine, while his bodyguards guffawed and cracked with approbation.

“But I digress….” said Amulius holding back another chuckle.

“Now, where were we? Ah, yes. Your own destruction”, he said plainly to Scylurus.

“Oppius, finish him off.”

Oppius stood stone solid.

“Then…. we’ll take a rest, and hunt some nobler animals”, Amulius casually implored as he yawned and stretched out his arms.

“Remember when you were a boy, I taught you how to snap rabbits; beautiful, noble, little creatures”.

“But tomorrow, we’ll hunt larger and lowlier beasts. The kind they call… Dacians”.

At length, Amulius made merry at his own wit. And the bodyguards, taking in their cue, rejoined him.

Scylurus hears of uneven rustling of leaves. He sees some figures moving about the branches at the forest edge in the east. The SHADOWS! There are no other. They have come! They must have! But how? How is this possible!?

“Amulius!”, shouts Scylurus, his eyes lit up, “Mars have enjoyed you lick his feet. For he brings you reward: WAR!!!”

Ancient horns slowly arose from the depths of the forest, filling the air all over. Then it was followed by the low beating of war drums. It created a mind-polluting sound enough to shake the core of even the elite of fighters. The Legionnaires hustled and bustled outside, wondering what was happening.

Tension hung even higher as the haunting, rhythmic noise abruptly ceased. Silence. Silence for awhile.

Then it began.

Erupting with even more terrifying warcries, masses of Dacian warriors rabidly poured out of the dark forest edge. The Legionnaires dashed to their formation. They consciously threw their pila to slow the advance of the gruesome Dacian berserkers. It had no effect.

The first wave smashed and chewed through the Roman frontlines. Amulius watched as sounds of metallic hacking and tearing flesh co-mingled with pained cries of his soldiers. His breath grew faster as he tightly gripped the reins of his steed.

More hordes of Dacian faxlmen emerged from the maze of trees. Arrows were also flying from the treetops hitting the vulnerable combatants below. Amulius looked up and saw the veiled, black-clad shooters over the trunks. It was the first time, in his life that he ever saw the Shadows.

Amulius assessed the situation and made his decision.
“Archers!” Amulius ordered and pointed to Scylurus. “Fire-At-Will!”.

“NOOO!!” Oppius tried to intervene, but I grabbed and held him, for I was sworn to protect his life.

Oppius’ men had no choice but to obey Amulius. They closed their eyes and unleashed a volley. Scylurus did not flinch as the arrows descended to their target….

To be continued….

The Stranger
03-20-2005, 10:10
oh man you're just like a soap, stopping on a piont when everybody wants to read further

AntiochusIII
03-20-2005, 10:31
Hehe, he's using an old time-proven classic trick that will ensure your continued interest. :laugh4:

I willingly fall into this trick consciously. ~D

master of the puppets
03-20-2005, 20:45
cliff hangers are one of those things you hate yet love, still very good.

Quietus
03-22-2005, 00:09
~;) I had to pick the best stopping point. I only had a couple of paragraphs after that and there's enough material for one last chapter.

I'm happy that you all enjoyed it though. ~D

master of the puppets
03-23-2005, 23:44
ok enough dramatic tension, get on wih the story.

master of the puppets
04-02-2005, 02:51
c'mon Queitus continue please

Quietus
04-02-2005, 07:27
Sorry MoP, guys (occupied with the RTW Guide; I haven't even edited the previous chapter yet). I'll post the ending in a bit.

~:)

Quietus
04-02-2005, 08:16
The Fashionable Dacian: continued….

His horse wheeled around and threw Scylurus to the ground.

http://img113.exs.cx/img113/5571/dacia47et.th.jpg (http://img113.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img113&image=dacia47et.jpg)

Oppius broke away from me and jumped from his mount. He ran to the fallen Dacian.

Amulius relished his fulfilled purpose then faced his grim fate. He pulled out his sword and made for the gate. The Roman shouted: “I am Amulius the Brave!! Long live Rome!!!” Flanked by his bodyguards, Amulius charged and disappeared into the chaos.

Before noon, it was all over, the snow was soaked in red. Bodies are piled and scattered all over the field.

A Dacian rider approached the town square inside the city. Oppius holds Scylurus on his lap; two arrows are imbedded in the chest of the dying warrior.

Scylurus coughed some blood and looked up to the rider whose face was hidden by the blinding sun. Oppius wonders as well who is this person, who now has dismounted, and approaching them.

The rider undoes his helmet opening his face to both: it was none other than Gaius Victor.

Oppius was taken aback, while the wide-eyed Scylurus remarked:

“It was…you!”, before choking more blood out of his mouth.

Gaius raised his hands out, cautioning his adoptive father not to speak further while his own eyes were locked at the sight the two splinters sticking out from Scylurus’ bosom – he knew the fatal points – it was Scylurus himself who taught it to him.

“Yes it was me”, he quietly and somberly answered. “I only wished that I had an earlier resolve”.

“I knew of my father’s plan. His spies had tracked you down to Campus Iazages – after you’ve narrowly escaped his Arcani hunters. My father wanted you, Oppius, to kill your own father – without your own knowledge. If the plan fails, he said he will do it himself. I begged him to reconsider but he was adamant and deliriously testy with revenge. He said he wanted to have some “fun”. But his fiery, reddened eyes have told me something more. He had gotten completely mad!”

“He had commanded me to cover and pin down the armies of Western Dacia so that Campus Iazages cannot be reinforced. And I reluctantly obeyed – only buoyed and ushered on by my vows to serve Rome.”

“My army landed at Segestica while you were besieging Porrolisum. With heavy heart, I spearheaded my army’s long march toward Aquincum. Only half-way through that I’ve decided to bend the hands of fate.”

“I’ve instructed my soldiers to return to Segestica and stand down; while I continued on to my destination. While on my path, I was arrested and interrogated by the secret Shadows – men that are previously unknown to me.”

“I had told them the whole truth of Scylurus’ disappearance twenty years ago and of my father’s brewing new scheme. The Shadows had thought Scylurus was captured and murdered by Amulius – for neither he nor the captive child (who was I) were ever found again.”

“They led me to their high chief, Decebalus, with whom I conducted negotiations and signed a binding peace treaty with. And at once, with minimal preparations, the Dacian army of Aquincum dashed towards Campus Iazages, for time was closely short – if we were to intercept my father’s elite Legions. Thankfully, the strong and hefty Dacian warriors were up to the feverish race.”

“After our arrival, we’ve hidden ourselves in the eastern forest so not to alarm the coming Amulius and his Legions. And I guess you all know what happened next.”

Gaius Victor’s narrative brought a smile into Scylurus blooded lips – and for a moment forgot even the deepest pain clasping his badly injured body.

“Amu-lius?”, Scylurus’ weak voice inquired.

“My father fought bravely and died bravely. I will bring his remains back to Larissa where I assume my inherited control of the Brutii clan and where the new peace treaty will be announced to all.”

Scylurus took a relieved but labored breath and looked up to both of his “sons”. The game has finally ended. He put his hands onto their heads while his face beamed proudly. His vision slowly eroded and happy thoughts slowly subsided.

At that point, Scylurus, the secret Shadow, the Legendary Commander, the Widowed Farmer, the Fashionable Dacian and most of all the father and mentor to two young, mighty warriors, was dead.

Oppius and Gaius contained their weeping but the Romans and the Dacians who surrounded them couldn’t. It was a sad experience for all present and Scylurus’ saga will always be remembered as bittersweet to those people it had touched.

And hence, my sweet, little sister, I’ve written you this tragic story. I’ve decided to remain Oppius’ faithful and most trusted bodyguard. And to this duty, I shall remain in Dacia to his company. May this be the lasting peace the Romans and the Dacians have hoped for throughout their lives.

Hush-hush, I shall remain a Roman at heart and will visit you at Larissa by and by. Keep your chin up and stay merry, your thoughts are always with me.

Your loving brother,
Placus, head bodyguard of Oppius the Mean.

~The End~

The Stranger
04-02-2005, 19:21
HUUUUUUUUUUUU, good story, sad it is over, man you should considder writing books, you would write bestsellers

Monk
04-02-2005, 20:10
nery nice Quietus. A great ending to a great story.

:bow: I hope you find the time to write again soon.

Craterus
04-02-2005, 23:20
That was brilliant.. That cliffhanger was brilliant, I was frantically scrolling down.. I'm glad I wasn't reading this story as it was being posted, I couldn't stand having to wait a couple of days before you posted the next bit.
Well Done ~:cheers: ~:cheers: I really enjoyed reading that. ~D

I'm guessing some of this story was based upon a Brutii campaign. I've decided I will write a story inspired by the next campaign I start.

Quietus
04-03-2005, 18:43
Thx guys!

I'm so very happy that you all had fun and stimulation reading it! ~D

The Stranger
04-04-2005, 02:14
looking at your sig you've a very full agenda