PDA

View Full Version : Let's get to work: RTW mod for MP

Louis de la Ferte Ste Colombe
02-18-2005, 14:04
As it is today, RTW suffers from some unbalance. I think some of that can be corrected by selection good setting (lower denarii = less uber units), but, as an alternative, I'd like to have feedbacks on modding RTW to rebalance it.

I am fully aware that most MP mods are not successfull, the main issue being that all players need the mod to play the game. Keeping that in mind, I'll try to keep the mod as simple as possible (modding only export_descr_unit file), and I'd like to start a discussion of what would needs to be done for a MP mod you would like to play.

Here are my thoughts about what I'd like to mod. the purpose of this topic is to have your feedback about it!

- lower kill speed a bit, probably by adding a couple of defense (not armour....defense) point to all units (excluding missile).
- I can't touch overall speed since it's not in export_descr_unit_file
- change the stat_ground so that there is no "hidden" bonus for some factions in some settings (desert, snow). I don't know if that stat is disabled in MP, but I am not taking chances. I am thinking something like
stat_ground 2, 0, 0, 0 for infantry units
stat_ground 0, 0, -6, 0 for cavalry units (including elephant, chariot, etc...)
If some factions rely heavily on those bonus to be good, I might mod some...
- I'll probably make all infantry units hardy, and all cavalry units non hardy.
- stat_heat will be increased for units with heavy armour. Right now, it does not matter much, and desert hardly makes a difference
- general cost increase for all cavalry units by 10%. All armor piercing capable cavalry units will get 15% cost increase. Egyptian desert cavalry will get a special treatment ~:)
- some change in some infantry units: praetorian cohorts 950, urban cohorts 1100. Time to see some normal legions, and not the ubber kind. Normal legions look good enough for me!
- probably make the Horse archer attack "thrown" unless there is issue associated with that solution to the missing parthian shot bug.
- change in missile: increase a bit the slinger range so that they nearly match archer. Make javelin AP (that's a dangerous one...). Other wise, no change in either armour or archery. I am quite happy with archer damage in 1.2 with the correction of the shield bug.

What do you think?

Louis,

Sid_Quibley
02-18-2005, 15:01
I would like to see the cav jump anim removed in any mp mod.Imo this is a big cause of cav being overpowered against infantry.

A file that does it is avialiable here.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=45&t=19041

Puzz3D
02-18-2005, 15:21
A group at .net is already working on an RTW rebalance mod for multiplayer. You could contact Swoosh.

There is a mod which removes the horses jumping over spears at TWC. As you know, the jumping cav forces the whole front row of a phalanx to switch from spears to a weaker sword weapon and loose the anti-cav bonus which allows cav to beat phalanx frontally. Vercingetorix made the mod, and it was modified for v.12 by Simetrical. Backup your skeletons.dat file in data\animations, and then unzip this file to that location. It's available here. (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=329490)

Orda Khan
02-19-2005, 20:05
All I can say is Good luck, there is a lot to sort out

........Orda

Wishazu
02-19-2005, 20:18
make some of the uber elite units like the urban cohorts more expensive, they are cheap as chips compared to spartans etc.