PDA

View Full Version : EB news - Saturday, February 19

khelvan
02-19-2005, 21:04
Greetings Europa Barbarorum fans!

Within the next two weeks, the newest alpha version (0.5) should be available to our internal testers. We are hoping that this is our first truly playable version, incorporating many changes and without many bugs. Should we determine that it is indeed playable (and fun!), we will quickly move toward a closed beta. This should come out relatively quickly. So watch our forums for an announcement that we're looking for beta testers.

This week, I wanted to show you a Macedonian work in progress from Spartan Warrior, the Hippeis Thessalikoi. Thessalian heavy cavalry are drawn from the nobility of Thessaly, a region thoroughly under Macedonian control. They are extremely valuable heavy cavalry, well able to mow through their enemies with a single thunderous charge.

http://img147.exs.cx/img147/1206/06ds.jpg

Based on the same model, we have another Spartan work in progress, the Ptolemaic Kleruchoi Agemata Cavalry. They are armed with a xyston, a kopis, and a small round shield that gave a bit of protection but allowed them to use their lance with both hands. They can be counted upon to give a good account of themselves in battle, due to the fact that they are well trained, almost feudalistic, cavalry.

http://img202.exs.cx/img202/8994/019bj.jpg

Many of you have asked for us to return to displaying Parmenio's new faction icons. I have another one for you this week, I will let you guess which faction it is for:

http://img170.exs.cx/img170/8887/newicon0hn.jpg

Finally, we have been hard at work reshaping the naval system. Here is a sample of the ships you may see in the finished version. Remember, as always, no promises, since this is a work in progress.

Rome:
Transport Boat
Liburnes
Covered Liburnes
Trireme
Corvus Quinquireme

Carthage:
Biere Aphraktos
Biere Kataphraktos
Triere
Tetrere
Pentere

Greece, Macedon, Seleucids, Egypt:
Pentekonteros
Biere Aphraktos
Trihemiola
Triere
Tetrere
Pentere

Pontus, Armenia:
Pentekonteros
Biere Aphraktos
Trihemiola
Triere

Gaul, Iberia:
Curragh
Tallship

Britons:
Curragh

Germans:
Baitaz
Skipaz

Dacia, Thracia, Parthia:
Transport Boat
Pentekonteros
Biere Aphraktos

Bactria:
Pentekonteros
Nava

Sarmatia:
Transport Boat

Rebels:
Pirate ship

As always, if you have questions or comments, the best place to post them would be here:

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=70

Or here:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/index.php?showforum=60

You may find old news posts in these forums, including a preview of our new map:

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=42840

Have a wonderful day!

Sincerely,

-the EB team

hellenes
02-19-2005, 21:26
Well the faction is:
ΑΥΤΟΚΡΑΤΟΡΙΑ ΠΤΟΛΕΜΑΙΟΥ Α' ΤΟΥ ΛΑΓΟΥ
EMPIRE OF PTOLEMY I OF LAGOS

What do I win? ~D ~D ~D

Hellenes

Meneldil
02-19-2005, 21:39
Wow, the Ptolemaic symbol is awesome. The one I'm making for Diadochi TW is not nearly as good :embarassed:
Parmenio is doing a fantastic job.

It looks like Numidia is officially replaced by Bactria, which is a very good new aswell (well, maybe you've already posted something about that). Let's hope you'll be able to add new factions and have more units with the expansion (if you plan to mod the expansion).

Colovion
02-20-2005, 00:01
I'm oh so very excited!

:D

Vades
02-20-2005, 01:23
I'v stopped playing Rtw altogether until the new SPQR is released, but im not even going to install it if theres a EB release announcment i cant wait! :balloon2: :balloon2: :balloon2:

Ano2
02-20-2005, 15:12
Excellent work, my week appears to be revoloving around these updates :)

Proper Gander
02-20-2005, 15:52
excellent work.
you are turning the game in to something it should've been from the start.

i never liked activision. :deal:

i would love to contribute to this mod, but i don't think i would be of much help. ~:handball:

Sarcasm
02-20-2005, 19:51
uhhh....*Mental Orgasm*......ahhhhhhhhh.....:dozey:

Turin
02-20-2005, 20:29
Hey, the extended pikes on the Macedonian cavalry, does that affect the collision mechanics as well? Does the victim die when they get hit by the point of the lance, or will there be some clipping.

The Panda Centurion
02-21-2005, 05:28
Why is Numidia not going to be included in EB? Historically, the Numidans played a pivotal role in the defeat of Carthage by Rome, and later caused problems for the aforementioned empire (the Jugurthine Wars are a good example). I think it is necessary to include the Numidians to retain historical accuracy.

- Panda

khelvan
02-21-2005, 06:30
The Numidian contribution to the Punic wars, and propensity for rebellion, will be aptly depicted through recruitable regional units, mercenaries, and an increased chance of rebelling in Numidian provinces.

The Stranger
02-22-2005, 20:17
what about Spartan Royal Hoplites, Phrygian Heavy Infantry, Persian Takabara, Persian Kardaka, Thracian Light Cavalry and Roman Cataphracts.

Look here http://images.google.nl/imgres?imgurl=http://www.maitlandtoysoldiershoppe.com/products/images/grenadastudios/g167-1_g170-1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.maitlandtoysoldiershoppe.com/products/grenadastudio-ancientworld.htm&h=350&w=378&sz=37&tbnid=dr3y1Z9bSpIJ:&tbnh=110&tbnw=119&start=1&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dsparabara%26hl%3Dnl%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26sa%3DN

Gangstaman590
02-22-2005, 20:34
I'm taking a guess but anything relating to spartans is not going to be in this mod (besides the ones alreayd there). Sparta was not as powerful as it was before the game starts, the city had its population lowered because of war and they were no longer pure spartans but mixed with other people and races I think(still greek though). And roman catraprachts is more towards the fall of the roman empire I think, not in 200 b.c.

Sarcasm
02-22-2005, 20:44
As I said before, the Elite Spartan phalanx was still existent in the battle of Sellasia in 222BC. Further, these Elite corps had been formed in just one generation, after a period of weakness in Sparta.

Both facts make it highly probable that they still existed in the gameĀ“s timeline.

The Stranger
02-23-2005, 09:34
just take a look there also roman units and greek units that were still there and the persian ones just to take a look for skins and i think parthia also used thes not all but a some

Wishazu
02-24-2005, 00:02
how far from completion is this mod then?

Gangstaman590
02-24-2005, 05:40

Well not soon is all I can tell you. :dizzy2:

khelvan
02-24-2005, 05:56
That depends on what you mean by "completion."

Paul Peru
02-24-2005, 14:26
Probably closer than R:TW will ever be ~;)

Just had to say that this mod looks great!! ~:cheers:
I really wish you guys to succeed, and you seem to have it under control.

Even though I think your position on the "scantily clad fanatics" issue is absurd, I still think you're right to do it that way. Go figure! :dizzy2:
(We're not living in a perfect world, IMO)

khelvan
02-24-2005, 19:28
Even though I think your position on the "scantily clad fanatics" issue is absurd, I still think you're right to do it that way. Go figure! :dizzy2:
(We're not living in a perfect world, IMO)Our position is perfectly reasonable. You may say that the position of those who have deemed such things illegal or offensive is absurd. I won't argue with you there. But our position is not only reasonable, it is logical. To call our position absurd indicates a lack of understanding.

I locked the other thread because of discussion about this. Any more here and this one will be locked too.

Subatai
02-24-2005, 20:25
All I can say is your team has talent, I am very much looking forward to your mod, kudo's to your team on the effort.

Subatai

Sheep
02-25-2005, 01:50
deleted by author

Pycckuu
02-25-2005, 03:00
they are beautiful :charge:

The Stranger
02-25-2005, 17:04
i can't wait

jerby
02-25-2005, 21:59
that looks amazing.
but what for mod will it be like? graphics only? gameplay? history?>
the only mod i know is total realism. how is this compared to rtr? the look much better, how are the unit cards'?

khelvan
02-25-2005, 22:37
Jerby, please take a look around this forum, at the FAQ and the Status posts, and others. It will explain what EB is.

jerby
02-26-2005, 20:35
fix bugs, fix skins, fix economy, fix map.
did you do any balancing in units or in factions?

Kurtisb
02-26-2005, 21:44
They removed just about everything (except hard code, duh) and re-built it from the ground up.

Hope that answers your questions. :)

Regards,

Kurts

jerby
02-27-2005, 21:02
my good god. W00T!
when can I download it? will the spartans fro CA be re-skinned?

Steppe Merc
02-27-2005, 21:22
You can't. It's not done yet. And yes, we will be fixing the Spartans. In fact, everything is fixed... I doubt their will be any normal units left once we're done.

jerby
02-27-2005, 22:08
i'm grinning like an idiot here, it all sounds nice. does the mod effect performance? when will it be ready fopr downloading?

Kurtisb
02-28-2005, 00:38
It'll be ready when its ready my friend, I'm eagerly (but patiently) awaiting it myself. About performance, I dunno.... :book:

EDIT: The first downloadable version will only be about half its full size (e.g. half of the full version skins, units, etc).

Regards,

Kurts