PDA

View Full Version : Warcraft:TW

Mackaaan
02-20-2005, 19:35
has anybody suggested this yet? or is it going to be like the star wars and middle earth(middle earth guys where talking about it in the beginning) mods that there will be problem with the guys that made it? i think i could be really nice...

Two large Islands.

Factions:
Night Elves
Humans
Goblins
Dwarves
Orcs
Undead
Tauren
Trolls
(probably more factions)

anyone think it might work?

ShadowStriker
02-20-2005, 19:52
there are LOTR MODS man and mytholigy mods

Hunsik26
02-20-2005, 20:03
has anybody suggested this yet? or is it going to be like the star wars and middle earth(middle earth guys where talking about it in the beginning) mods that there will be problem with the guys that made it? i think i could be really nice...

Two large Islands.

Factions:
Night Elves
Humans
Goblins
Dwarves
Orcs
Undead
Tauren
Trolls
(probably more factions)

anyone think it might work?

I'm not sure about the warcraft mod, but yea, it'd sure be a nice addition to any wargamer!

Sundjata Keita
02-20-2005, 20:21
I think there are some copyright restrictions not allowing anyone to create a warcraft mod. Shame really.

Mackaaan
02-20-2005, 20:37
I think there are some copyright restrictions not allowing anyone to create a warcraft mod. Shame really.
was afraid of that.
anyways, the mythology mod will probably be kickass

ShadowStriker
02-21-2005, 00:32
yeah in looking forward too a lot of mods too

BassV2
02-21-2005, 07:53
you guys really are funny. Have you guys heard of "under the radar" or develloping fior "personall usage with no intention of ditributing it to the public" ???
Have you? ~:confused:

Bwian
02-21-2005, 12:13
But...if you set up a website ( even one full of disclaimers ) and make your mod well known, expect a 'cease and desist' order.

And if you get one...and then 'leak' the mod...expect to get yourself sued.

I would be tempted to design 'generic' units of a very similar nature ( but your own work..not copies ) and avoid using the 'Warcraft' name anywhere. Humans, Orcs, Trolls etc. cannot be copyright material. They are 'folklore'.

what definitely IS copyright is the name Warcraft, and any artwork or material sold as part of the game. If you tread carefully, you should be OK.

My Mythology Mod already has undead, goblins, Trolls and Centaurs, and will get demons, Giants, Minotaurs and a few others before I am done. These are 'generic' mythical beasts, and the 2D and 3D artwork is all original. If you choose to build something like that, they can't touch you...provided you don't touch THEIR material :D There is nothing ORIGINAL in Warcraft, really :D

Sundjata Keita
02-21-2005, 19:08
Speaking of the mythology mod where are the updates? ~;)

Mackaaan
02-21-2005, 21:47
i think this whole sueing thing is childish... anyways you made me see more clearly, warcraft is just old news rewritten in some hip magazine or something.

al'Callaendor
10-22-2005, 19:29
good luck

richyg13
10-22-2005, 23:51
Bwain stated it correctly, as long as you dont use a copyrighted name or registered trademark anywhere in the mod you can do as you like!

However, a warcraft mod does rake over old coals and doesnt spark much originality... you'd be better off creating a unique storyline and world, you can indeed use the idea of Humans, Orcs, Elves, Trolls etc. as they are, as correctly stated, 'folklore' used in so many different fantasy worlds.

Be daring! Come up with a story no one has come across before!
I've got a fantasy world idea stuck in my head for a mod right now but cant do it cus im working on Age of Mankind... pity since its truly original, i even drew a map of the island it was all situated on, as well as drawing a load of faction symbols, i even drew concept art for one unit for one of the core factions hehe.

You got an idea? post it here, see what you get!!

Alexanderofmacedon
10-23-2005, 16:07
Good Idea. Go for it!

Myrddraal
10-25-2005, 13:52
As this mod isn't in progress, it should go to mod discussion.

If you ever start working on a mod like this (which can only be a good thing), post it the idea in the mod discussion, and only post here when the mod is underway.

player1
10-26-2005, 06:49
As long as you don't use it in commercial means it should be fine.

I've seen way to many Warhammer, LOTR and SW mods for various games.

They are all copyrighted titles, but that didn't stopped those mods to be either used or distributed in any way.

EvilNed
11-16-2005, 15:07
As said, Blizzard can't do crap about it unless you try to sell the mod, or make money of it.

Epistolary Richard
11-16-2005, 15:23
As said, Blizzard can't do crap about it unless you try to sell the mod, or make money of it.

That's extremely incorrect, whether you make money or not is irrelevant. If I make my entire library of copyrighted music available for download - even for free - legal proceedings can still be brought against me and my host.

Bwian
11-16-2005, 20:19
And if anyone is unclear about the legality of freely distributing someone elses copyright material, you should consider how that differs from Napster, WinMX, Kazaa, and all the other sources of copyright material being distributed for free.... it is ILLEGAL.

The only way people get away with it is by not being noticed. Most of the Star Wars mods that get made have not posed any direct threat to those paying a HUGE sum to Lucas for a licence. There were SW themed team shooter mods out ...until they got canned. Cue 'the official game'. THey have the right to protect their intellectual property.

Also....some companies protect their intellectual rights more fervently than others. Blizzard have a reputation for rabidness. All they need is a lawyer, and the will to use it.

Can't blame them though.... if I spent months designing a game, more months making models and inventing backstory etc. only to find some spotty geek somewhere had pinched the whole lot for a mod without even bothering to ask....well...I know what I would do.

In all honesty.....you might get away with it....you MIGHT. On the other hand...you might get told to stop. If that happens you will have to destroy EVERYTHING you have done, or face a very expensive lawsuit. You will lose...and get very poor too if you try to fight. The choice, as they say, is yours...as are the consequences. But don't be fooled into thinking it's OK as long as you give it away....that, I am afraid...is just not true.

Epistolary Richard
11-17-2005, 01:02
Can't blame them though.... if I spent months designing a game, more months making models and inventing backstory etc. only to find some spotty geek somewhere had pinched the whole lot for a mod without even bothering to ask....well...I know what I would do.

Another factor they have to consider is that if a company isn't seen as defending its rights over its IP, then it can legally lose those rights. So sometimes they'll pursue non-commercial projects in order that they can protect themselves from other commercial ventures that may try to use it.

Ilsamir Lord
11-28-2005, 06:46
These discussions seem to have a tendency towards descending into discussions of legality (which is an aspect which needs to be considered). Perhaps there should be a sticky containing the relevant information - including various precedent cases - somewhere?

Murfios
12-24-2006, 17:54
And if you never release it?

Myrddraal
12-25-2006, 05:00
You can do what you like on your own PC. But try to leak it to the net, and that immediately becomes illegal.

Murfios
12-30-2006, 00:57
If someone releases it, but he or she lives in Cuba(lets say) it may still be ilegal but they cant do anyrthing to get ya.

Warluster
12-30-2006, 09:52
There already is a Warcraft mod for M2TW, but not one for RTW