PDA

View Full Version : Calling All Modders!!great Mod Idea!!!

dark_shadow89
02-23-2005, 20:50
Imagine... a mod where all the factions are made up of all 'barbaric' tribes in history...ranging from the vandals to the vikings...the mongols to the britons...as well as the japanese, the aztecs, the american indians...

and only one civilised nation...the three roman families and the senate (remade of course...). These can be changed to become a fantasy civilisation...

the rest of the mod can be from fantasy too, the barbarians we know of in real life could be used as a reference to create the mod's factions...imagine charging into an enemy formation with your squad of jaguar riders, or having your unit of baresarks or ulfsarks hacking into an enemy phalanx...

this mod could occur in a fantasy land, in a fantasy time...

so to wrap up:

fantasy factions, based on real ones
fantasy continent
fantasy units, with some reference to historical units

cheers, dark_shadow89

btw: havent thought of a name yet...if this thing gets off the ground that can be worked on.
TopReport Post
User is online!PMMini ProfileEmail Poster
Edit Post

JakoTheOne
02-23-2005, 22:14
and isnt greeks a "civilised nation"?
the idea is good, but the limit of 200 cities would made the map get divided in vast regions

JakoTheOne
02-23-2005, 22:31
what indeed would be a great idea is to make an all eras mod, where you could go on ages by develop technologies of around 50-100 years and where you have no money in order to make cities hard to build and armies hard to be built.
but I know this mod is only a dream, it would be imposible to do, too many buildings, units and models to make

Mackaaan
02-23-2005, 23:48
i think its an awsome idea, aztecs, american indians, japanese.....
all together on a large continent!

Zharakov
02-24-2005, 03:08
PANGEA TOTAL WAR! lol ~D

I like the idea, and would like to help.

I can do a small amount of scripting *still learning the finer points of the art*.

And I can also give ideas.

dark_shadow89
02-24-2005, 06:33
ok, scrap the idea of every faction being 'barbaric'. there could be mainly barbaric nations, but there could also be a samll number of civilised nations, struggling to hold on to their civility in the face of ever growing barian hordes...

dark_shadow89
02-24-2005, 11:00
also, any additional ideas would be welcome, as this is still the ideas stage...

dark_shadow89
02-24-2005, 11:12
PANGEA TOTAL WAR! lol ~D

I like the idea, and would like to help.

I can do a small amount of scripting *still learning the finer points of the art*.

And I can also give ideas.

great, thanks..

if more people get interested in helping out, i'll pm u eh?

also, if u could 'spread the word' so to speak, i would really appreciate it.

cheers, dark_shadow89

dark_shadow89
02-24-2005, 11:14
i think its an awsome idea, aztecs, american indians, japanese.....
all together on a large continent!

so u wanna help out???

JakoTheOne
02-24-2005, 15:41
so what about two civilised nations that expand their power in order to get stronger than the other? it could be nice to set the period on the trojan war.
year 1300 before christ, Troy, the most civilised nation and greece, an alliance of some cities. Both expand towards the barbarians in a race for power

Mackaaan
02-24-2005, 16:55
so u wanna help out???
PM'd you about it, yesterday.

Zharakov
02-24-2005, 20:55
Thanks for letting me help comrade! ~D

Here are a list of factiosn that I think would be cool. We could base the better list later.

Civilized:

Rome
Egypt
Japan or China
India
Aztec
Miya
Greec

Un-Civilized:

Vikings
Mongols
Apachie
Zulu
Russians
Some other random European tribes

dark_shadow89
02-24-2005, 21:06
Thanks for letting me help comrade! ~D

Here are a list of factiosn that I think would be cool. We could base the better list later.

Civilized:

Rome
Egypt
Japan or China
India
Aztec
Miya
Greec

Un-Civilized:

Vikings
Mongols
Apachie
Zulu
Russians
Some other random European tribes

yeah, those all sound good, though like i said, they are references for the 'fantasy' factions, so that there wouldnt have to be a massive world map (fantasy continent & faactions).

thanks for the feedback though,

cheers, dark_shadow89

dark_shadow89
02-24-2005, 21:09
oh, thanks to Zharakov and Mackaaan for your offers. if u could get sound other people to help out, then we'll have a real mod team...(i can only do design and text work right now, though i'm learning to model/texture)

cheers, dark_shadow89

Mackaaan
02-24-2005, 22:06
oh, thanks to Zharakov and Mackaaan for your offers. if u could get sound other people to help out, then we'll have a real mod team...(i can only do design and text work right now, though i'm learning to model/texture)
cheers, dark_shadow89
so, how would you like the map?

JakoTheOne
02-24-2005, 22:08
remember you have to divide all the map on 200 provinces, so will japan have 2 cities? i think that map is too big, and even more if you include America
remember that armies cant move too far and is not realist to make them going from portugal to germany in 6 months...

Mackaaan
02-24-2005, 22:29
remember you have to divide all the map on 200 provinces, so will japan have 2 cities? i think that map is too big, and even more if you include America
remember that armies cant move too far and is not realist to make them going from portugal to germany in 6 months...
have you seen the map for the mod ~:eek: already?

Zharakov
02-24-2005, 22:44
I would geuss that we would make a pretend world map. That way, we dont have to wory about size.

JakoTheOne
02-24-2005, 23:02
what does geuss means?
what i mean is that dividing all the world on 200 provinces (limit of cities) is going to give vast territories to each city
are you going to give Greece 6 or 7 cities meanwhile rusia does just have 8 or 9? is a very unbalanced lands and too long to go across

Mackaaan
02-24-2005, 23:14
didnt know you had to have 200 cities.
dont really know how your thinkin it should be...

ShadowStriker
02-25-2005, 00:08
hmmm barbarians eh you could call it something like prehistoric: total war

Zharakov
02-25-2005, 00:11
We do not have to use the real world. We can simply make a new map that has no historical reality.

Those factions are just an idea for the factions we would use. We do not have to use them.

We noy need one continent.

Also, I am Russian... My English is not perfict.

ShadowStriker
02-25-2005, 02:54
lol right thats a good idea

THE STRONGEST FACTION IS mumblemumblemumble

dark_shadow89
02-25-2005, 05:14
We do not have to use the real world. We can simply make a new map that has no historical reality.

Those factions are just an idea for the factions we would use. We do not have to use them.

We noy need one continent.

Also, I am Russian... My English is not perfict.

thats right...the stated factions are to be used as REFERENCES ONLY!!!!The factions in the mod will be ficticious, as will the map (ie. made up), so there's no worry about an overly large map, etc...

anyone who wishes to help should post their credentials...

cheers, dark_shadow89

dark_shadow89
02-25-2005, 05:21
so, how would you like the map?

um, we've got 4 people in the mod team so far...once we get about 8 or 10, we'll start the actual work...though to build the map, we need to decide what the factions are gonna be, their culture, their lands, etc...any ideas about this would be nice.

cheers, dark_shadow89

btw, will it be better to have the forum for this mod-to-be here or at SCC? Also, if anyone is good at web design, or know of how we can get our own development forum, please speak up!!!

Mackaaan
02-25-2005, 15:18
um, we've got 4 people in the mod team so far...once we get about 8 or 10, we'll start the actual work...though to build the map, we need to decide what the factions are gonna be, their culture, their lands, etc...any ideas about this would be nice.

cheers, dark_shadow89

btw, will it be better to have the forum for this mod-to-be here or at SCC? Also, if anyone is good at web design, or know of how we can get our own development forum, please speak up!!!
i was just thinking, start showing work early and more people might open their eyes... tomorrow you cant reach me for a week since ill be in norway (so you know that i'm not dissapearing or anything)

Zharakov
02-25-2005, 21:20
Could we do it like human colonist on a new planet with aliens. Only the aliens are still in the dark ages, and the human colonists are also in the dark ages?

Human VS Alien

Human & ALien VS Human & Alien...

~D

Mackaaan
02-25-2005, 23:00
Could we do it like human colonist on a new planet with aliens. Only the aliens are still in the dark ages, and the human colonists are also in the dark ages?

Human VS Alien

~D
:dizzy2: aliens are booring:P

we should have stuff like Inca warriors riding lama's

dark_shadow89
02-25-2005, 23:03

Human VS Alien

~D

for some reason, i dont think that humans in the dark ages can fly to another planet...

dark_shadow89
02-25-2005, 23:22
so, how many factions could we have???

i've narrowed it down to about 18 - 20 (is this the number of factions in the game???)

they are based on (in-game names to be thought of later, these are working names only):

-Vikings (reckon they have enough culture to stand on their own)

-Saxons/Franks (combination of germanic and frankish cultures and units)

-Celts or Woads (maybe a combination of both)

-Aztecs/Mayans (a combination of both, as doing each one will be difficult due to similarities in culture, etc, these should be civilised, but only semi-civilised i think)

-Bedouin/Berbers (basically arab nomads)

-Mongols (on their own)

-Apache/Comanche, whatever (basically the cultures of all the american indian tribes)

-Japan/China/Korea (a civilised faction)

-Russians/Romanians/Hungarians, etc (eastern european cultures, gypsies?)

-3 city states or princedoms ruled by an emperor (spqr and families, though i think their culture should be a combination of roman, greek and spanish)

-zulu/masai (african cultures)

-Egyptians (civilised african culture)

-south east asian cultures (thais, khmers, indonesians, these can have their lands on a series of islands, semi-civilised)

thats 16 factions, which i think is a good number, any other suggestions would be good. I'm now working on the faction's units.

cheers, dark_shadow89

dark_shadow89
02-25-2005, 23:24
oh, i forgot to mention india (as in asian india). they could be a semi-civilised factions, as their culture could be combined with those of the himalayan peoples, and those of afganisthan, etc...

dark_shadow89
02-25-2005, 23:31
oh, another thought just came to my head, there could be one more faction, who could've just arrived on this continent, with smaller unit numbers but a slightly higher tecnologically. I'm thining such units as repeating crossbowman. They could have a culture mainly different from any ever seen on earth, though with extremely small similarities to the romans (well disciplined army, well trained, etc), chinese/japanese (well disciplined, well trained), aztecs (blood sacrifice?) and vikings (berserker unit?). Some of their units could be similar to those of the romans, etc, but different, either equipment wise or technology wise.

cheers, dark_shadow89

stichmaster1
02-26-2005, 00:29
what if you had a map of a world like ours, except that it is far in the future so that NA and russia have collided and made a single supercontinent?

Zharakov
02-26-2005, 02:14
My idea was that we escaped an apocolyps and lost all technology... ~D

Here are my ideas for factions *Not alien ones*

Nationality ideas

Russians
Americans
Romans
Chinese
Japanese
English
French
Germans
Indians
Aztec
Zulu
Egypt
Assryia
Greec
Mongolia
Celts
Maya
Turks

dark_shadow89
02-26-2005, 03:05
My idea was that we escaped an apocolyps and lost all technology... ~D

Here are my ideas for factions *Not alien ones*

Nationality ideas

Russians
Americans
Romans
Chinese
Japanese
English
French
Germans
Indians
Aztec
Zulu
Egypt
Assryia
Greec
Mongolia
Celts
Maya
Turks

could u go into a bit more detail please

dark_shadow89
02-26-2005, 03:30
heres a thought...pangea splits into 2 continents right? But then these do not

split...therefore there are 2 massive land masses on earth, with a sea in

between...maybe thats how we could make the mod...an alternate reality. This

means that the different cultures will evolve differently, etc..still fictitious, but

with some historical base. we could also simply rename the various factions. The

aztecs, or american indians would, therefore have contact with other

civilisations. also, we could have some mythical units and factions (think

atlantis?) maybe the mod could be based around atlantis, a growing power

based from an island which broke off during the splitting of pangea? call it

Atlantis: Total War

cheers, dark_shadow89

stichmaster1
02-26-2005, 05:42
i like the idea and you could really go far with the atlantis idea

Zharakov
02-26-2005, 05:47
I like the idea. Atlantis could be like the Roman senate...

Ohhh, or better yet, the fall of Atlantis... Atlantis is on the decline... and the world is up for grabs... ~D

dark_shadow89
02-26-2005, 11:13
yeah atlantis...

Nero
02-26-2005, 12:42

I think that IS realistic. It doesn't take a few years to walk from Portugal to Germany, even considered there were a lot of swamps. With the roads that excist today, it takes maybe two months to do the walk, so one year (or 6 months even) in old times could be realistic.

dark_shadow89
02-26-2005, 22:15
ok...how about a 'mythical' alter reality, where atlantis survives (a big island in

the middle of the atlantic, reduce the distance between america and europe,

thereby allowing an aztec and american indian faction), rome's not as

powerful, as atlantis is powerful, carthage has more power, troy

survives (greek/asiatic culture), macedon rules all of greece (no greek

faction), the huns (mongol-ish faction) have a foothold in eastern europe,

the germans and woads rule germany and briton respectively, the franks have

superseded the gauls, vikings develop early and are moving south, the

nubians(zulu, central african culture) have superseded the numidians (these

become a minor, rebel faction), and the japanese/chinese have expanded

west, a large fleet having landed south of egypt/arabia. Also, maybe india (in

asia) expands west, controls what were parthian lands?

And because this is myhtical, we could have some mythical units, such as

myrmidons, etc..

cheers, dark_shadow89

Zharakov
02-26-2005, 23:17
Ok that sounds good. ~:cool:

dark_shadow89
02-27-2005, 00:30
ok, so lets hear some suggestions for units, etc...

Zharakov
02-27-2005, 02:24
Aztec faction(s):

Eagle Warior: Spearmen* AoE
Jaguar Warior: Heavy Infantry* AoE
Bear Warior: Clubmen
Fox Warior: Stelth, like arcanii
Bowmen: Archer
Slinger: Slinger
Skirmisher: Javalins

Low armourd, cheap, fast units. No horses.

Atlantians:

Atlantian Sordsmen: Sords
Atlantian Spearmen: Spears
Atlantian Archers: Archers
Atlantian Cavelry: Cavelry

Heavy, expencive troops.

Russians:

Russ Infantry: Heavy Infantry with Bows
Russ Cavelry: Light Cavelry
Cossacks: Heavy Cavelry
Step Raiders: Med Cavelry with Bows

Nice cavelry, bad infantry.

dark_shadow89
02-27-2005, 02:58
how about:

Russians:
-Strelets?
-Siberian Axemen
-huszars? (early hussar)

Atlantians:
-Poseidon's Guard (heavy cavalry)
-Guardians of Atlantis (heavy infantry, swords)
-Atlantian longbows
-Atlantian Regular Infantry

Huns:
-Hunnish Horse Archers
-Iron Wolves (heavy cavalry)
-slovak warband
-slovak skirmishers
-magyan swordsmen
-sarmatian knights

Indians (american):
-Apache Brave (mounted horse archer)
-Comanche Brave (medium cavalry, use tomahawks)
-Cherokee Brave (light infantry)
-some more horse and light infantry units, named after various indian tribes?

Vikings:
-Baresarks (big, axe weilers)
-Ulf Sarks (slightly lighter, broadswords)
-Valkries (female cavalry)
-raider warband (light)
-mounted raiders (light/medium cavalry)
-jarl (heavy cavalry, expensive)
-archers?

Franks:
-Axe throwers
-raider warband
-Frankish knights (sword & shield medium/heavy cavalry)
-Frankish lancers (light/medium cavalry)

Troy:
-Apollonian Cavalry (heavy cavalry)
-Apollonian Guard (heavy infantry)
-archers
-Trojan spearmen
-Defenders of Troy (anyone got a better name? medium, sword & shield infantry)

thats all i got for now, if anyone could please research some more units, it'd be appreciated.

cheers, dark_shadow89

dark_shadow89
02-27-2005, 05:56
ok, so should we ask scc or something for our own mod forum?

Myrddraal
02-28-2005, 09:25
Guys, if you produce something to show that your mod is going to work and not die out (like some units and a map in progress) you can apply for a subforum here. Its not hard to get, it would be a pity for a mod to start here and then dissapear...

Zharakov
02-28-2005, 13:50
Ok, things I have gotten done.

3 new units... *old skins*

Atlantian guard- Base skin= Greek Hoplight) Hoplights

Atlantian archers- Base skin= Archer Auxila

Atlantian Hvy Infantry- Base skin= Sacred Band Infantry)Sorwds men

However, I could use a better program for scripting... mine isnt varry good...

BluBlood
04-14-2005, 17:48

Human VS Alien

~D

You know what, I think thats an awesome idea. You would obviously need to work the background story a bit but this will work, just listen..... An alien civilisation crash lands on the continent of australasia. Enough of them survive to start breeding and they start to colonise that part of the world. However, human beings have now evolved from Neanderthals and are colonising what is now the middle eastern part of the world.

Perhaps you could have even more fantasy by having ancient factions too like the atlanteans etc.

Will post more but damn Zharakov I think you hit on something buddy ~:cheers:

Zharakov
04-14-2005, 21:17
Why the Netherlands?

And we allreaddy have a mod like this.

go here: http://s10.invisionfree.com/Aetas_Total_War/index.php?

BluBlood
04-15-2005, 12:32
Why the Netherlands?

And we allreaddy have a mod like this.

go here: http://s10.invisionfree.com/Aetas_Total_War/index.php?

Sorry, you misunderstood me Zharakov. Neanderthals are what human beings evolved from. I dont know if you are familiar with Darwins theory of evolution but they come before us. They can be the rebels that are in R:TW.

Hope this clears some things up.

dark_shadow89
04-15-2005, 12:37
Um..this mod idea's dead...close the topic please

Myrddraal
04-15-2005, 12:45
Why? Its not dead... :confused:

dark_shadow89
04-15-2005, 23:23
Because I'm on other projects now

Myrddraal
04-16-2005, 00:01
Others can take it up... Just because DJs stopped work on SJ doesn't mean its dead... Its not dead until nobody's working on it, and then it will slip to the abys of page 2. :wink:

Lonely Soldier
04-16-2005, 00:01
dark_shadow89 - I have also posted with this idea - see my signature -, including the idea for eras etc. Also, my faction list bears a striking resemblance to yours... I'm not sure who copied who here - or whether either one of us had ever seen the other's thread ~:) . Maybe we could join up, or not, but I fear that you may have posted before me anyway ~:confused: ...

If you wish for me to remove any plagearised elements I am happy to do so - but maybe the mods will be different enough by the end anyway ~:) .

dark_shadow89
04-16-2005, 00:48
Thats the point, nobody's working on it. It never got off the ground...

@lonelysoldier: I dunno...check the date of the first post for this topic if you want..it doesn't trouble me because I'm with the Troy and Aetas mods now!
http://s10.invisionfree.com/Aetas_Total_War/index.php?http://s10.invisionfree.com/Aetas_Total_War/
(check my siggie)

Lonely Soldier
04-16-2005, 02:20
Thanks dark_shadow89! I thank you for your generosity and I wish you the best of luck for Troy Total War and your other projects! I think that the Aetas and AoM mods are sufficiently dissimilar to co-exist, the former being fantasy and the latter realistic.