PDA

View Full Version : The Scipii and their deal with the Devil

Uesugi Kenshin
02-24-2005, 05:12
Back in the latter days of un-unified Italia the Julii had been "assimilated" into the SPQR again, the Scipii had lost their Italian holdings and only Croton and Thermon were holding out against the great SPQR armies. One of the last Scipii generals was approached by a cloaked figure who offered him more Denarii then he had ever seen and Semi-autonomy from the rest of the Roman Lands. He of course accepted and spent the rest of his days administering the land of Scicilia. Then a son was born, his name was Quintus Scipio and was destined for greatness. This young boy did not know it but he was to be chosen as the next great semi-emperor heir of the Roman empire. He would have to follow senate policies and continue the expansion of the empire, but who knew that the Scipii would be allowed to become so powerful after their defeat?
When he came of age young Quintus decided to lead a great army under the purple banner and show all of Rome his ability, so he would not be disenfranchised and cause his family to return to their lonely administration of unimportant Scicilia. He first defeated a rebel army and then boarded a Trireme, there he met the current emperor of Rome and experienced the great handing down of experienced soldiers that often comes as an emperor reahces his 55th birthday. They then parted ways in Anatolia and young Quintus went off to show the Greeks that the SPQR are not the only dangerous Romans.

This is the right place for this right?

AntiochusIII
02-24-2005, 05:54
Yes, this is a place for stories.

Continue on, sir, and let the Org pay for more space with your little imaginations. ~D

Monk
02-25-2005, 02:56
Ah! New faces coming to the mead hall. Welcome both of you ~D Drinks are cheap so long as you're a writer ~;)

Uesugi Kenshin: I hope to see more of this story, i think it has potential ~D . welcome to the mead hall and have a pleasant stay. Yes, this is indeed the correct place for this. :book:

AntiochusIII: i welcomed you in another thread, but hey; what's one more right? welcome and enjoy the stories posted by our fellow patrons.

if either of you need anything, please do not hesitate to scream *a number of screams echo from down the hall* Hah. we're just so busy tonight :bow: ~;)

Uesugi Kenshin
02-25-2005, 04:44
Oi! Tis not my imagination good sir. But me playing RTW and telling my relatively pointless tale about my crazy Senate campaign wherein Carthage is the greatest and longest lasting ally of Rome!

Now for our next installment (didn't play long today though):

Quintus arrived in Anatolia next to the Great Temple of Artemis and commenced the pillage rape and execution of the pitiful Greek city. Unbenownst to young Scipio the current Emperor of Rome was lying dead on a bridge after single handedly killing 200 Ponts in a glorious battle, wherein his bodygaurd killed a total of 678 Ponts before being drowned in a tide of flesh and arrows. While Scipio was riding down the last of the Greeks he was also becoming Emperor of Rome and his daughter was having her fourth birthday party in the Grand Imperial Gardens of Rome.
After the death of the Emperor Quintus was out for blood and decided to bring roman vengeance down on the craven Ponts. He began rampaging across Anatolia executing the populace as an offering to the Emperor as he went, within three years all of Anatolia was Roman and the assault was about to spread to the lands of Egypt and Pontus. Maybe this is why the Senate has chosen to fund Carthage for all of these years? Maybe they were preparing for a joint assault on the Pharoah?
In other Roman affairs the Germans were wiped out and the Scythians have been putting up fierce resistance, but they are falling back in droves and cannot stand before Roman might!

Wow I guess I had more material than I thought.....

Uesugi Kenshin
02-27-2005, 04:27
Is anybody reading/enjoying this? I can see that it has been viewed 40 times, but if nobody is enjoying it I do not want to spam....

Until someone replies I will continue:

The young Quintus now saw that the very presence of the SPQR in Anatolia was being threatened by an organized Egyptian and Pont(how do you spell that?) resistance. After subjugating Sinope he was forced to retreat to defend the newly conquered cities from the invading Egyptians and a band of rebels. His bodygaurd led a miraculous charge against a similarly sized Hoplite militia unit and decimated it without loss, this battle was seen as a harbringer of victories to be won by the brash young emperor. He then led loyalist troops out of the newly conquered cities and routed the Egyptian raiders.
With his blessing the Senate finally gave Iberia to Carthage after postponing the transaction for many years. This allowed Roman resources to be focused on economic develpment and the raging eastern wars. The experieneced troops from the Iberian legions are also able to head back to Rome for refitting and shipment to the front where they will work for their pay, instead of just putting down a rebellion every now and then.

Monk
02-28-2005, 22:39
I apologise for not replying sooner...

Oi! Tis not my imagination good sir. But me playing RTW and telling my relatively pointless tale about my crazy Senate campaign wherein Carthage is the greatest and longest lasting ally of Rome!

well; that's how i got started. I started writting basic recaps of battles, before i knew it i was doing campaigns. Then as i felt the need to add something more to my writing i found i was adding plots elements like in some of my first stories here at the Mead Hall. i don't think it's pointless; people are reading this aside from me so i'm not the only one who thinks that. If you enjoy writing it i say keep going! ~D

Is anybody reading/enjoying this? I can see that it has been viewed 40 times, but if nobody is enjoying it I do not want to spam....

spam? no, no of course not. No story is spam so long as it is tasteful and follows the guidlines of the mead hall. Which are basically unwriten rules that means keep the story suitable for a teenager to read. Otherwise give a warning at the start of the story as to what it will contain.

I do enjoy it though. Keep writing; you'll improve and maybe it will become something you enjoy (if it's not already).

Uesugi Kenshin
03-01-2005, 03:52
Thanks for the encouragement, I will continue the story, as soon as I get more time with RTW. I have a little something to add, but not much yet.

After his glorious victory in Anatolia Quintus decided to teach the Anatolians the Roman Art of War and shaped great military schools that would rival those of Rome, Capua, Arretium and Ariminium. He had also realized that the senate was sending all of their troops to fight the horsemen of Scythia and would not give aid to him due to his Scipii blood. With these schools training competent soldiers of all types Quintus began his first long march, his march out of Anatolia, south towards Antioch and into the very heartland of Imperial Egypt.

Uesugi Kenshin
03-04-2005, 04:48
Quintus Scipio has been gaining fame in Rome not only as the Emperor, but also as the nurturer of Carthage, conquerer of the East and the greatest general and warrior in the known world. He has killed many men of all classes and disciplines and has been seriously wounded more times than any other generl. This lead to one of his nicknames "Scarface," however, this did not catch on and he was soon known as Quintus Victor for his great victories against Egypt. Beside all of this he is also a family man, upon taking a rest from campaigning in Tarsus he has been blessed with another daughter. Quintus views this as a good thing, because his family is in many ways still looked down upon as usupers and traitors due to his Scipii blood. So his daughters will be able to be married off and incorporated into the Roman nobility and giving him grandchildren whom he can bestow the mantle of emperor upon, without fear of persecution.
In other events the last Scythian lords have been hunted down and slaughtered like the dogs they are, while Osca has been retaken from the rebels that took the turnover as a time of oppurtunity. Due to pressure from the Emperor the Senate has awarded Carthage with 23000 Denarii for their long years of war with Egypt and their continuing allaince.

Uesugi Kenshin
03-07-2005, 04:25
I am going to try and find something else to write about in a more interesting manner, but until then I had to write a vignette for school. So here it is:

The Last Charge of Quintus Scipio

Full of anxiety, Quintus surveyed his soldiers. All of them were ready, but none of them were prepared. He surveyed the Praetorians, Legionaries and Auxilia. Each and every one of them was clad in Rome’s finest armor and carried stout tower shields, but none of them were safe. Quintus gazed upon the field, parched and flat. It was perfect. Slowly he straddled his trusty horse, set his helm upon his head and lifted his spear. He turned his back on the sun, and gaped at the opposing force. Pikes glittered in the sun and the plate mail glittered brilliantly like gems in the rough. Slowly he set his jaw and positioned his shield. He roared and unleashed the full might of Rome.

Uesugi Kenshin
03-08-2005, 04:27
I think I am going to start taking 20 minutes or so every day to write a little Vignette in a historical setting. Everyone that has been reading this thanks and you can excpect the first one tomorrow.

The Stranger
03-08-2005, 09:48
i thought you were on vacation on the moon

Uesugi Kenshin
03-09-2005, 03:32
I was but I decided to come back. It was cold....

BTW the reason I am changing to short random stories is I cannot make a long story with good description/writing and I end up having no idea where to go. I would also like to invite everyone to discuss the Vignettes and give their opinion on what the hell I am talking about and what happens afterwards. Maybe I will get ideas and do a follow up. Oh I also like Vignettes because you can break all the rules you want in them and it is normal.

The Smith

He stood over his great anvil. His baldhead shone with sweat. Slowly he lowered his hammer and trundled towards the bellows. The apprentice, having heard his approach began to furiously work the bellows. “That’s enough for today,” bellowed the smith, “Go home and tend to your mother.” Wiping the sweat from his forehead the smith lumbered towards the door. He leaned forward and examined the dusty street. Nobody was out. Resting his chin in his hand the smith looked about puzzled. He dropped his hand and tilted his head. Horses. Not far. Probably just around the bend. He stepped out of the doorway, set his feet and gazed down the street. Samurai. Too many to count, all clad in bright lacquered armor. Their spears shone under the brilliant sun. He lifted his hand to shade his eyes, yes there it is. Their mon was that of the Tokugawa, the new lords of the land. No matter, smiths will always be needed, in war or peace metal must always be shaped.

Monk
03-10-2005, 03:14
I would also like to invite everyone to discuss the Vignettes and give their opinion on what the hell I am talking about and what happens afterwards.

That can be difficult sometimes. People don't always comment when you want them to; leaving you at a loss on how the story came out. Personally i think my work sucks unless someone tells me otherwise. I'm insecure and paranoid i guess... :book:

anyway, let me try.

The smith is an aging man; perhaps in his 40s, maybe older or younger but not by much. His son is learning the tricks of the trade and will perhaps one day take over the smithing shop, the son has most likely been studying for sometime. and is learning quickly.

The Smith sees the Tokugawa marching down the road; the new lords of the land. No doubt a war of some kind was fought for the area's control. The smith who would usually see traders of commoners along the street now finds it empty as a new order claims the land subject to them. If a war was indeed fought he may have tempered steel for those who previously held control of the area.

The rise of a new power doesn't seem to be of much concern (or at least it's not stated); he's just a man trying to make a living.

is that what you wanted? did my best to analyze the small story and draw out a possible backstory/plot. ~:)

Uesugi Kenshin
03-10-2005, 04:30
I never thought of the apprentice as his son, but he definately could be. In my mind he was a relative or family friend who had a sickly old mum. I did think of the smith being in his 40's or so, getting old for a man of the age, but still strong and full of vitality. I did think of him making the weapons of the land's previous lords, but in my mind it was not just the taking of one territory, but the beginning of the Edo Age. The Tokugawa have just taken control of almost all of Japan and through the smith I attempted to allude to the coming age of peace and prosperity. The smith is just a simple man trying to make a living, just as you stated. I wanted the streets empty maybe to allude to recent battles depleting the population but definately to a feeling of fear in the populace, the rest of the people were wondering what their new lords would do and if they were in danger, but the smith is unafraid, because he sees his trade as important in peace and war and is too old to spend too much time worrying if the Tokugawa will have some animosity towards him.

What did you think of the two Vignettes as stories? Good Writing bad writing? Any suggestions?

Thanks for the comments Monk, I will try to do another one tomorrow.

Uesugi Kenshin
03-12-2005, 03:05
I am sick so I will not be writing another Vignette today, when I get better I will write another and make a new thread for Vignettes, if anybody else wants to write someone and start a thread that is fine, everyone wll be welcome to write some if they want once i am better and make a thread.

master of the puppets
03-24-2005, 02:51
i never did trust those scipii, satanic they were