PDA

View Full Version : Retraining obsolete units?

GeWee
02-26-2005, 09:44
Is there a way to make it possible to retrain old units, eg pre-marian, into new units? Like retraining your high-experience princeps into high-experience legionnaries?
If there is a way, will you add it to EB?

Gangstaman590
02-26-2005, 16:52
No because they didn't do that. The pre marius units were just citizens who got picked up to fight. After marius, being a soldier was a career.

GeWee
02-26-2005, 17:45
Oh.. Thanks for clearing that up.

Brenus
02-27-2005, 21:56
I understand that, but all the modern units (in Europe at least) have origins and traditions from the past. Example, in France, the fist Infantry regiment come from the Bandes de Picardie created in the 14th century. Well, they haven't anymore bows and swords or spears, but the regiment still keep the traditions. Same for tanks units called Cuirassiers or other Hussard. So, a unit could be transformed in an other modernized units and keep the Eagle of the fist one. Well, it works in reality. That is what creates the Esprit de Corps and push units to fight even when no hope of victory remains, or to protect the retreat of other units.
So, the only limitations to transfer the experience and the pride of one unit to another unit is technical. I don't know about that aspect. In the real life, you just to give the flag (or standard, or whatever symbol of the unit) to the new unit (sometime after a certain amount of time in Museum -The Invalides, in France). Probably more complex for a game.

Sarcasm
02-28-2005, 00:23
Although surely not possible, it would be extremely cool to name legions and give them their respective Eagle.

It would surely be a personal loss if one of these legions were lost, making a more emotive game.

Gangstaman590
02-28-2005, 04:48
I understand that, but all the modern units (in Europe at least) have origins and traditions from the past. Example, in France, the fist Infantry regiment come from the Bandes de Picardie created in the 14th century. Well, they haven't anymore bows and swords or spears, but the regiment still keep the traditions. Same for tanks units called Cuirassiers or other Hussard. So, a unit could be transformed in an other modernized units and keep the Eagle of the fist one. Well, it works in reality. That is what creates the Esprit de Corps and push units to fight even when no hope of victory remains, or to protect the retreat of other units.
So, the only limitations to transfer the experience and the pride of one unit to another unit is technical. I don't know about that aspect. In the real life, you just to give the flag (or standard, or whatever symbol of the unit) to the new unit (sometime after a certain amount of time in Museum -The Invalides, in France). Probably more complex for a game.

So what if they have origins in the past. Doesn't mean you could train a hussar to drive a tank. They specialize in a certain thing which makes them so unique.

khelvan
02-28-2005, 06:27
It is a moot point, unless someone can figure out how to do this within the RTW engine.

shifty157
02-28-2005, 18:14
So what if they have origins in the past. Doesn't mean you could train a hussar to drive a tank. They specialize in a certain thing which makes them so unique.

we're getting off topic. you may not be able to train a hussar to drive a tank but there is no technology gap between hastati and legionaires. Same sword, same shield, same javelins, same fighting style, different name. Thats it. Converting a hastati to a legionaire only requires a slight modification to the shield and new armor. Its not like taking peasants and expecting them to be cataphracts.

Brenus
02-28-2005, 22:12
You can train hussar to be a tank crew member. It was done between the World Wars. You can train (almost) every body from every thing.
The transfer of traditions isn't about the persons but the symbol. The Marines of today aren't the ones who fought in Guadalcanal or Iwo Jima but I supposed every Marines has these battles in mind, as a part of their fighting spirit. It is a kind of cult of the ancestors, I supposed.
To come back to the game, I also think it will be nice to keep the well trained and old units to fight others battle. It was how Julius Caesar won against Pompey. His Legions were better. And a bit of luck, according some historians.