PDA

View Full Version : Can somebody help me with this?

Idomeneas
03-07-2005, 00:29
I want to apologise cause the question is irrelevant with EB but this is the place where the most speciallists are so if you please be kind to give me some answer i would appreciate very much.

I installed the 1.2 patch just today and faced a problem.

Let me take it from the start.
I always hated the vanilla Spartan unit with the red nightdress. I know very little about modding units so from what i understood the unit has basically two parts. The 3D ''skeleton'' and the skin. Since i know nothing about 3Dmax but i know alot about photoshop( im graphic designer) i found it easy to just take the spartan unit offered in www.totarwar.com and edit it. I know its not the accurate for the period but better inaccurate than rediculous.

This unit has ok sceleton but bad skin. So i installed the .cas files the way they instruct and just replaced the .dds files with one of my own. The result is very good (for classical period).

The problem is that since i installed the 1.2 the Spartans unit looks to preserve the skin i made but loses the 3d sceleton i downloaded, and restores the original one (with the robe). You imagine the mess. Right skin wrapped around wrong model.

What should i do? My biggest question is hovw this sceleton is appearing since i had the .cas files replaced? How is it possible?

Can somebody help me? :help:

Idomeneas
03-07-2005, 01:58
Please guys somebody...

khelvan
03-07-2005, 02:26
Relax. If there is anything you guys should have learned about EB by now, it is that we work slowly but surely. Someone who is in the know will get to this in good time.

Angadil
03-07-2005, 15:59
Hi Idomeneas,

I know even less than you about models, skins and how to implement them into the game. So, sorry, I won't be able to offer any specific advice. Perhaps, one of our graphics guys will eventually see this and answer. However, I think that you might find a more adequate audience for your question in the RTW Modification/General forum. which is at

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=73

Good luck

Aymar de Bois Mauri
03-07-2005, 16:11
I want to apologise cause the question is irrelevant with EB but this is the place where the most speciallists are so if you please be kind to give me some answer i would appreciate very much.OK. No problem. Let's see if I can help. ~:)

I installed the 1.2 patch just today and faced a problem.

Let me take it from the start.
I always hated the vanilla Spartan unit with the red nightdress. I know very little about modding units so from what i understood the unit has basically two parts. The 3D ''skeleton'' and the skin. Since i know nothing about 3Dmax but i know alot about photoshop( im graphic designer) i found it easy to just take the spartan unit offered in www.totarwar.com and edit it.What editing did you do? Photoshop only? If so, you only edited the .dds file, right?

I know its not the accurate for the period but better inaccurate than rediculous.

This unit has ok sceleton but bad skin. So i installed the .cas files the way they instruct and just replaced the .dds files with one of my own. The result is very good (for classical period).

The problem is that since i installed the 1.2 the Spartans unit looks to preserve the skin i made but loses the 3d sceleton i downloaded, and restores the original one (with the robe). You imagine the mess. Right skin wrapped around wrong model. Please do not call "skeleton" to 3d models. They are very different things. A skeleton is an animation component. A 3d model is the shape of the soldier (volumetric).

So, you loose the 3d model and the skin is preserved? What did you do in the descr_model_battle.txt file? How did you altered it?

What should i do? My biggest question is hovw this sceleton is appearing since i had the .cas files replaced? How is it possible?Once again, it's not skeleton. It's 3d model. I believe the reason the 3d new model doesn't appear is because you forgot to edit the path to the new .cas files you've downloaded. But you have to tell me what files did you download (description please) and the alteration you performed in descr_model_battle.txt...

Idomeneas
03-08-2005, 01:36
OK. No problem. Let's see if I can help. ~:)

What editing did you do? Photoshop only? If so, you only edited the .dds file, right?

Please do not call "skeleton" to 3d models. They are very different things. A skeleton is an animation component. A 3d model is the shape of the soldier (volumetric).

So, you loose the 3d model and the skin is preserved? What did you do in the descr_model_battle.txt file? How did you altered it?

Once again, it's not skeleton. It's 3d model. I believe the reason the 3d new model doesn't appear is because you forgot to edit the path to the new .cas files you've downloaded. But you have to tell me what files did you download (description please) and the alteration you performed in descr_model_battle.txt...

Thank you for reply.
I followed the exact instructions in www.totalwar.com.
I replaced the original .cas files with the ones they provide, i created a ''textures'' folder and placed the .dds and .tga. I did nothing more and worked fine. Since i didnt liked the skin but i was ok (for the moment) with the model i edited in photoshop the .dds (added bronze armour without straps and traces of chiton, red chlamys with curved meandros ending, fixed the hue of bronze parts, added eyebrows to healmet, red black crest etc.) anyway it was a very accourate classical spartan (know outdated, but had to see them walking around).
The thing is that it worked fine before i installed 1.2 patch. I didnt messed with descr_model_battle.txt at all. If it was wrong what i did it wouldnt, logicaly, not worked in the first place. yes? or maybe i have to change something there? And how the old 3D model got there since it was overwritten? :help: Im tottaly comfused.
The only good thing is that through this im learning some things about skinning. Im really good at photoshop but i dont have enough technical knowledge about 3D models creation-rules.

You see there are so many programs i have to know (Quarkxpress, illustrator, photoshop. Indesign, Corel draw, Flash, Dreamweaver, swish) That i think i didnt left any room for more ~:)

Can you help me please?

Aymar de Bois Mauri
03-08-2005, 05:34
Thank you for reply.
I followed the exact instructions in www.totalwar.com.
I replaced the original .cas files with the ones they provide, i created a ''textures'' folder and placed the .dds and .tga. I did nothing more and worked fine. Since i didnt liked the skin but i was ok (for the moment) with the model i edited in photoshop the .dds (added bronze armour without straps and traces of chiton, red chlamys with curved meandros ending, fixed the hue of bronze parts, added eyebrows to healmet, red black crest etc.) anyway it was a very accourate classical spartan (know outdated, but had to see them walking around).
The thing is that it worked fine before i installed 1.2 patch. I didnt messed with descr_model_battle.txt at all. If it was wrong what i did it wouldnt, logicaly, not worked in the first place. yes? or maybe i have to change something there? And how the old 3D model got there since it was overwritten? :help: Im tottaly comfused.

Can you help me please?
I think I see your problem. Surelly, when you instaled the 1.2 patch, the 3d model (.cas file) you downloaded from totalwar.com was somehow overwritten. Therefore RTW is loading the ancient one. I think you should reinstall the .cas you've downloaded. That should solve the problem. If not, get back to this thread.

Idomeneas
03-09-2005, 01:07
I think I see your problem. Surelly, when you instaled the 1.2 patch, the 3d model (.cas file) you downloaded from totalwar.com was somehow overwritten. Therefore RTW is loading the ancient one. I think you should reinstall the .cas you've downloaded. That should solve the problem. If not, get back to this thread.

well i did that and nothing worked. Its a mystery to me. Maybe i need to reinstall RTW again? I did nothing tricky or mesed with any other folders and files i just followed the instructions. Any idea? I hate those red nightdresses and dont wanna get back to them... So if you have any clue i would greatly appreciate ~:)

Aymar de Bois Mauri
03-09-2005, 01:44
well i did that and nothing worked. Its a mystery to me. Maybe i need to reinstall RTW again? I did nothing tricky or mesed with any other folders and files i just followed the instructions. Any idea? I hate those red nightdresses and dont wanna get back to them... So if you have any clue i would greatly appreciate ~:)Strange... ~:confused:

When you downloaded the spartan files did it bring any txt file to install in the data folder? If it did, when you installed the 1.2 patch, that text (I'm thinking descr_model_battle.txt) was surelly overwritten by the default one with the paths to the vanilla 3d model.

I'm getting intrigued... :thinking:

Idomeneas
03-10-2005, 22:53
Strange... ~:confused:

When you downloaded the spartan files did it bring any txt file to install in the data folder? If it did, when you installed the 1.2 patch, that text (I'm thinking descr_model_battle.txt) was surelly overwritten by the default one with the paths to the vanilla 3d model.

I'm getting intrigued... :thinking:
no text files downloaded. IM comfused :dizzy2:

Aymar de Bois Mauri
03-11-2005, 11:43
no text files downloaded. IM comfused :dizzy2:So am I. Trying posting this at the RTW Modification/General (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=73) forum. Maybe they can reply better there... ~:confused:

Idomeneas
03-12-2005, 21:51
So am I. Trying posting this at the RTW Modification/General (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=73) forum. Maybe they can reply better there... ~:confused:
I did alittle check in the unit folder ans saw that except the .CAS files after 1.2 instalation some .RUM files appeared with the same names.
So tried to erase the .RUM spartan files and guess what, it worked. I had the right model back. The problem is that the curves looks abit angular (shield, crest) and hair locks do not appear. Any ideas now?
.RUM files are upgrade or the same type as .CAS? :dizzy2: