PDA

View Full Version : tips for the gauls?

bones58
03-07-2005, 14:19
Please help i keep giving the gaul armies chances in multiplayer thinking its something i must be doing wrong but all i can see is a mediorce army (archers dont win u battles most of the time.)
So it would be nice if anyone could give me tips to use the galic armies.

Dutch_guy
03-07-2005, 15:44
well upgraded forresters + chosens are a good combination, and when defending use the woods and tall grass at your advantage, when on walls you can beat almost anything with chosens , with the sole exepion of praetorians and urbans due to their superior armor. on multplayer winning without severe losses is nearly impossible and the Gaulic cavalry sucks even the Nobles, so your army should only consist of chosens forrsters and (as support ) a few cavalry types. this is definatly a hard faction on MP not really when playing SP.

bones58
03-07-2005, 17:16
Did it make much if the gauls fight in the woods etc

Dutch_guy
03-08-2005, 13:09
I think most units have a ''combat bonus in woods '' ( and snow ) so yes I guess it does matter if they actually fight better in woods.
plus your MP opponent won't be able to see ur units ( teh AI in SP has a way of seeing your hiding units ) which is great for sneak attacks etc.

Rodion Romanovich
03-16-2005, 11:13
Please help i keep giving the gaul armies chances in multiplayer thinking its something i must be doing wrong but all i can see is a mediorce army (archers dont win u battles most of the time.)
So it would be nice if anyone could give me tips to use the galic armies.

One of my specialties - make some of your line infantry visible for the enemy, but not the guys on the flanks. The enemy will come charging your visible line from the flank, but if you kept hidden men outside you can turn tables on the attacker and get his flanking troops outflanked. Make sure to use much experience for the swordsmen in the middle of the line so they can pin stuff. Against phalanxes chosen swordsmen are sweet pinners as they can pin maybe 3 or so units while your other troops go around the flanks. Gauls are however, even if you use this method, incredibly hard in mp. In a battle yesterday with 30000 denarii I picked parthia and routed an entire gallic army in less than half a minute ~D

Cheetah
03-16-2005, 18:59
The lack of decent heavy cavalry makes the Gauls almost unplayable in MP. I would never pick them on a flat map, any half-decent general with a cav heavy army will rout you out of the map within seconds. The foresters are too costly compared to ther elite archers, and chosen swordsmen are inferiour to the elite roman inf, what is worst they will just collapse under a mass cav charge.

Your only hope with the Gauls is to fight in forest. First, most of your units get a bonus; second cavs -your greatest fear- are less efficient in forest; third, you can hide your units and play a cat-and-mouse game. This is your only chance: a guerilla warfare; in pitched battle, especially in the open, you are doomed to fail.

As for the army composition, you have only two decent units: foresters and chosen swordsmen. Both of them quite expensive so you need imho at least 15000 denarii to make a decent army. I would bring a few noble cavs (3 or 4) but stricktly for harassing -so dont spend too much upgrades on them (since they wont hold against heavy cavs anyway). One or two other units -such as naked fanatics or dogs- can spice up things but dont expect too much from them.

Good luck! If you can win the with the Gauls, that should give you a great confidence! Mastering other factions will be a piece of cake ~:D

Squirrel_of_hatred
03-27-2005, 05:26
my head also hurts with the gauls, I want to beat an online roman player on flat land so there is no excuses whining a sound defeat with a lesser army is something we should aspire to not abandon, and damn its tricky best is to practice with 10k and give the A.I. all urbans and 5 prathorian cav as you know your archers have the advantage in skirmish this can be a tough challenge even with the retarded A.I. your still fighting urbans and prathorian cav. Now i fielded a mostly inf army no archers 1/2 cav and and won a couple of heroic victories another tactic im toying with is to hide (10k) 3 foresters on 1 flank you have inf and 2 cav. when your roman opponent's right for example flank of cav is in range loose arrows most people will charge their right flank of cav at your forester's, time it so that 2 inf and 2 cav are already moving to tackle with the forester's your opponets advancing cav which is now ahead of its main army and decimate this flank you now may have a good numerical advantage over your enemy who now is down 1 cavalry wing then use your foresters to target the advacing infatrys general the battles not over yet but its a good start. this is kinda working for me with 1 victory so far on flatland. i have set up a thread in 1g forums/ replays /barbarians strike back and i can upload a replay for you if you wish. i know there is a lot of what if's but hey thats always gonna b the case.

War Squirrel

cunobelinus
04-12-2005, 21:47
foresters hiding in front of ur lines wait fro the enemy wen they come to u hit them with the foresters they will do loads of damage and hit them with choosen swordsmen and babrian cavalry maybe .i would say bout 6 units of foresters and rest choosen swordsmen .i would actually have more foresters becaus e they will do loads of damge

Craterus
04-12-2005, 21:48
Not necessarily put the foresters in front of your infantry lines, cavalry will absolutely slaughter them and its not clever, trust me I've tried it.

NihilisticCow
04-13-2005, 01:27
You could try foresters on your left side - i.e. an attacking enemies right side - so that they don't get the shield defense bonus (which only applies for attacks from the front or left). Making use of the foresters hide anywhere ability may well allow you to wait until they are in an ideal position before launching your attack (and giving away your position).

AquaLurker
04-13-2005, 02:56
Unless the opponents has his army split up and the gaul player has the element of suprise, ambush etc. there is little hope for the gaul player to do any thing. The most common competitive tactics was foresters and general body guard spaming. Hitting the guy with cazy amount of at 15attk arrows and taking out units that had strayed too far from the main. Chances is that the opponent will split his army up trying to chase down the foresters and thats when the gaul cav do the job, lots of micro management requires.

Problem with Gaul is not the cavalry, it is the infantry. They can't hold the line well and they panic too easily. Usually a chain panic will occurs and there goes the plan.

NihilisticCow
04-13-2005, 11:07
Gaul infantry can hold the line providing there is no combined cavalry and infantry charge. If you have equal numbers of Chosen Swordsmen to a Roman player's urbans, and you warcry before they attack and you have a unit of druids chanting behind your chosens, then the chosens do actually rout the urbans (all things being equal)... Though lots of ifs.

AquaLurker
04-13-2005, 13:07
The thing is, most of the time it is the roman who charge them, kill alot of them and start a massive chain panic almost instantly. A combine charge of cavalry and inf is what usually used aganist the gaul because it is the fastest and easiet way to break them.