PDA

View Full Version : Provincial Governor Bodyguard Units

DemonArchangel
03-10-2005, 21:08
http://www.btinternet.com/~ian.borthwick/LADAS/articles/Ala_Sebosiana.html

Hmm... It says there that Agricola made a unit of cavalry his Singularis (bodyguard?)

How will that be reflected in EB? (I doubt the General's unit would be sufficient, as that would represent only the General's/Governor's immediate staff).

Reverend Joe
03-14-2005, 19:32
Someone reply to this- it's an interesting question!

jerby
03-14-2005, 21:24
equites singularis is the replacing name for romans elite cav ( preatorian cav I believe)
in RTR. that all I know

Sarcasm
03-15-2005, 02:19
*DELETED* I gotta read other peopleĀ“s posts more carefully.

cunctator
03-15-2005, 12:04
I don`t know why they replaced the Praetorian cavalry in RTR. Thats a historical unit, also it is out of RTWs timeframe. Tacitus mentioned them quite often, fighting in the 69ad civil war. The praetorian cohorts were probably organized like the cohortes equitatae of the auxilia. Units with ca. 70% infantry and 30% cavalry.

The equites singulares of the empire are also out of the timeframe. The best horsemen of the province cavalry units were attached to them temporaly.

I don`t know their actual size, but i think that the normal general`s bodyguard is sufficient. In RTW all units are at least 3 times too small. A generals bodyguard unit has 50-100 soldiers, so it should be enough

DemonArchangel
03-16-2005, 20:44
I think Ala Singularis should be recruitable because the general's unit is way too small. If Ala Singularis can't be recruitable, neither should be Praetorians.