PDA

View Full Version : Germania PBM

Tricky Lady
03-15-2005, 22:28
So I just finished the first (short) reign in the Germanic PBM.
It doesn't matter that this reign was so short (not even 10 years). If you guys don't mind you can put me back at the end of the list; I'll play a second reign later on then.

Settings:

patch 1.2
imperial campaign - conquer Rome + 50 provinces
normal/normal
5 provinces/towns per reign

so this is the current list of 'volunteers':

Tricky Lady (Ariminius, 270bc - 261bc)
Quietus (Ariogaisus, 261bc - 250bc)
Simon Appleton (Ariogaisus & Vannius, 250bc - 239bc)
Swordsmaster (Vannius, 239bc - 222bc)
YAKOBU (Vannius, 222bc - ?)
Emperor Umeu 1
Craterus
if necessary, Tricky Lady again

10 provinces conquered maximum within a reign.
If the faction leader dies before taking in at least 7 provinces, the player must continue (but the 10 limit still apply).
If the faction leader dies and has taken in at least 7 provinces, the player will turnover the game to the next player.

Here's a brief summary of what I've done:
- moved faction leader to Bordesholm and conquer province;
- trade rights with Britannia, Dacia, Gauls, Macedonia, Scythia
- as expected Gauls attack Trier; defeated Gauls (Meriadoc)
- as expected Britons attacked Batavadorum in the same year; my ambush army is spotted by a Briton spy so it's a regular battle
- ambushed and destroyed a Briton army near Samarobriva;
- moved a small army to Vicus Gothii to conquer this town
- Gauls attack and conquer Mogontiacum (oops)
- move anti-Gaul army back to reconquer Mogontiacum (autoresolve, bad mistake)
- seige Samarobriva - few battles take place
- Samarobriva conquered (autoresolved)
- death of faction leader after conquest of Samarobriva.

Making huge profits now because our armies are nearly evaporated thanks to silly use of autoresolve button (sorry!).

I'll create a thread for write-ups only tomorrow or on Thursday. I've tried to take as many screens as possible (but forgot it many times). Write-up won't be spectacular ~;) but I'll try to make the best of it!

The savegame can be found here (http://www.totalwar.org/patrons/pbm/Germania_261BC.rar).

Have fun, Quietus!

Quietus
03-16-2005, 04:41
Got it! ~:) 255 bc, back to up 9 provinces (the AI took 2 away). I'm being attacked from all sides. Good thing there are mercenaries ~D

Also the British asked for a ceasefire.

Quietus
03-22-2005, 03:17
File is uploaded:GermaniaQ (http://www.totalwar.org/patrons/pbm/GermaniaQ.zip)

Briefly:
Reforms are passed (Military and Economic).
Building of structures was emphasized.
The warchest is finally up to 50K from 5K (261 BC to 250 BC; 8 to 18 provinces).
Germania is dependent on merceneries since it is being attacked on all sides: by Dacians, Gauls and Britons. The Britons in particular would sign a peace treaty then break in it a couple turns.

I'm make a more descriptive summary later ~:cool:

The Stranger
03-24-2005, 13:25
hello, quick question i'm not on this forum very often so could one PM when it's my turn.

BTW i'm more a defender and a stabilisator than a aggresive conquerer

The Stranger
03-24-2005, 13:26
and i think we don't use cheats am i right

Tricky Lady
03-24-2005, 20:08
You're right about the cheats. Also no reloads to undo some stupid moves or evitable losses.
For the rest you're "free" to do whatever you want with the PBM.
If you prefer to turtle and defend, no problem (I am not such an aggressive player either).
You'll get a PM when it's your turn.

EDIT: I must admit that I have entered the "toggle_fow" cheat at the end of a PBM reign to take a screenshot of the complete campaign map, but as the faction leader is dead at that moment I don't think that matters that much.

The Stranger
03-24-2005, 20:44
thanx

econ21
03-25-2005, 22:45
OK, my new faction leader has taken a net 7 provinces, so by Quietus's rules, it is time for another player.

I am uploading the game as Germaniaw239.zip.

It is now Summer 238 BC. A quick summary of what's happened:

The Gauls spent most of the time confined to one Spanish province and have not bothered us apart from intermittent blockades. However, Patavium was getting unmanageable due to its large population size and so I let it rebel, defecting to the Gauls. It needs to be exterminated.

The war with the Dacians has become a Cold War - I have not invaded them and they have not bothered us much.

The Britons are no more - we took their lands and Ireland.

The Julii are no more - Rome awaits!

The Brutii are our worst enemy - along with the Julii, they have been bribing our interior towns like crazy - for much of the game it is has been like stamping out small fires.

SwordsMaster
03-28-2005, 14:54
Well, I'm uploading the file (Germania222SM.zip) now.

It is year 222bc and Germania is 10 provinces bigger.

The germanic kingdom has just been through an age of expansion and consolidation and now is going through its second financial crisis under Vannius the Bloodyhanded. Segestes, the new faction leader is in greatly fortified Numantia, ready to take it on the Spaniards (allies) or the Carthaginians who broke our alliance a while ago.

There is some unrest trouble in South Italy, namely Capua and Tarentum can be problematic despite the big garrisons, maybe you´ll be foreced to exterminate them at some point.

The army Vannius commanded until his dead is besieging Porrolissum, the last Dacian stronghold, and it is very well capable of taking it.

Rome has fallen, the Gauls, the Senate and the Brutii are erased from the face of the earth and the only thing that reminds of their presence are some of the temples of thi¡eir gods that I forgot or overlooked.

In some cities there are more than one family member, either because I was too busy elsewere and forgot about them, or because an invasion was being prepared in that area and I needed generals.

There are a few "rebel hunting" armies here and there too.

YAKOBU
03-28-2005, 19:45
Hello everyone ~:wave:

Swordmaster, is the game ready for me now? If it is can you please post a link to it.

It may take to the end of the week for me to finish my reign Emperor Emeu 1 if you are ok to wait that long?

Well on with the PBEM :charge:

SwordsMaster
03-28-2005, 20:26
here (http://www.totalwar.org/patrons/pbm/) is the list of files, its Germania222SM.zip you are looking for ~;)

YAKOBU
03-28-2005, 20:49
Thanks SwordMaster, now downloaded ~:cheers:

The Stranger
03-31-2005, 09:23
Thanks SwordMaster, now downloaded ~:cheers:

so i'm next isn't it

Tricky Lady
03-31-2005, 17:08
Yup, you're very right. But you gotta hold your horses for a while, because I don't think YAKOBU has finished his turn yet.

YAKOBU
03-31-2005, 17:48
Thanks Tricky Lady ~:cheers:

I've done a couple of years but a lot of rebels to fight every turn as well as unrest & riots. I have my son staying tomorrow night so will have my turn completed by the end of Sunday. Sorry for any hold up.

:charge:

Tricky Lady
03-31-2005, 18:32
I never thought of this PBM as a rush game. So I guess it's okay to finish it next weekend.

:bow:

The Stranger
04-01-2005, 09:27
well, i'm not in a rush cause my internet is screwed, so i'm out for a wile i think but i see what i can do, but still PM me when it's my turn.

btw i'm at school now

The Stranger
04-01-2005, 14:23
do i have to change my game settings, like normal or huge units

Quietus
04-01-2005, 15:09
Hey Umeu,

The unit size setting for the game is already set to large. ~:)

The Stranger
04-02-2005, 19:23
large not huge, so 120 is the common unit size

The Stranger
04-02-2005, 19:24
btw my internet is fixed, so i'm back in the game.

Craterus
04-02-2005, 23:31
I'll play if you want, but beware I might mess it up... Or if it's too late to join this PBM, can I join the next one you do? ~D ~:cool:

The Stranger
04-03-2005, 08:56
i'm not the starter of this PBM, Tricky lady is so ask her. but i think you can

Tricky Lady
04-03-2005, 10:08
Hi Craterus, I have added you to the list. :smiley:
You'll play after Emperor Umeu 1 if we're not yet at 50 provinces at the end of his turn.
If Umeu doesn't end this PBM than you certainly will :wink:

(copy from first post, overview)

Tricky Lady (Ariminius, 270bc - 261bc)
Quietus (Ariogaisus, 261bc - 250bc)
Simon Appleton (Ariogaisus & Vannius, 250bc - 239bc)
Swordsmaster (Vannius, 239bc - 222bc)
YAKOBU (Vannius, 222bc - ?)
Emperor Umeu 1
Craterus
if necessary, Tricky Lady again

Craterus
04-03-2005, 12:24
What are the rules? Do I have to pass it on after I've had [insert number here] turns or taken [insert number here] provinces? ~:cheers: ~D

EDIT: Sorry, I know the rules now, don't worry. ~;) ~D

The Stranger
04-03-2005, 16:40
well, don't worry i'm not a aggresive player so i'll probably leave rome for ~D

Craterus
04-03-2005, 19:15
I'm an ultra defensive player on the campaign map (I don't start a war with a faction unless they have had the cheek to attack me) but an aggresive player during battles. ~D

I think I'll join the next one you guys do. ~D If you do one, but I'm pretty sure I'd prefer to sit this one out. I don't like the Germans much anyway.. (They aren't my type of faction ~D )

YAKOBU
04-04-2005, 15:21
Hi everyone ~:wave:

I have not done the write-up for my turn as I took over in 222BC and the last write-up is only done to 237BC.

I am not really a story-teller so my write-up will be very fact based and not up to the standard of the current write-ups.

SwordsMaster
04-04-2005, 20:48
Hi everyone ~:wave:

I have not done the write-up for my turn as I took over in 222BC and the last write-up is only done to 237BC.

I am not really a story-teller so my write-up will be very fact based and not up to the standard of the current write-ups.

Yeah, sorry about that. College is back and all those assignments I was supposed to do over the break are still at the starting point, so I´ve been really busy. I will do a short writeup and maybe expand it later.

YAKOBU
04-04-2005, 21:22
Cheers Swordsmaster, that sounds good to me ~:cheers:

P.S. Don't let RTW get in the way of college. You may only get 1 chance at college and you will always have RTW ~;)

SwordsMaster
04-04-2005, 21:40
Cheers Swordsmaster, that sounds good to me ~:cheers:

P.S. Don't let RTW get in the way of college. You may only get 1 chance at college and you will always have RTW ~;)

I´m not really a perfect student, but sometimes there´s no choice but to get down'n'dirty ~;) . Specially after a really non-productive break.

The Stranger
04-05-2005, 08:37
i haven't start playing yet, because my father is a *****. and i'll kill him when he get's home and then i'll start playing tomorrow or the day after

Quietus
04-05-2005, 10:55
i haven't start playing yet, because my father is a *****. and i'll kill him when he get's home and then i'll start playing tomorrow or the day after
Hey Umeu,

~:) There's really no rush in a Play By Mail campaign. So chill down a bit. A lot of our players aren't even finished with their stories. Just look at TL's story. Mine as well (even with a the 3rd edit still needs touch-ups).

Actually, I'm waiting for you to start your story: "The Last Empire". Post the first episode first so I can comment on it.

Tricky Lady
04-05-2005, 16:19
A lot of our players aren't even finished with their stories. Just look at TL's story.

OOOPS. :embarassed:

Thanks for the (without any doubt unwanted) hint, Quietus! :grin2:

I do know I still have some images placed *somewhere* on my hard disk. Gotta find them, and finish my story (ahem).

The Stranger
04-05-2005, 20:25
Hey Umeu,

~:) There's really no rush in a Play By Mail campaign. So chill down a bit. A lot of our players aren't even finished with their stories. Just look at TL's story. Mine as well (even with a the 3rd edit still needs touch-ups).

Actually, I'm waiting for you to start your story: "The Last Empire". Post the first episode first so I can comment on it.

o already posted the first episode. but i'm not really mad, but my dad thought he was funny and disabled me as administrator of my own PC. and for the PBM you need a fresh install. he also thought he was funny and took all my cd's. so i installed a workaround, he couldn't handle that i was being smarter than he so he did that. now i can't mod my game anymore and can't install the downloaded 1.2 patch (as zip file). because some files are systemfiles and you need to be a admin to do that

Craterus
04-05-2005, 21:47
If you know the password to his account, you can switch yourself back to admin. That's what I did ;-) ~D

The Stranger
04-06-2005, 15:32
yeah, if. but i don't know it. but i told it to put it back so i'll be able too play tonight

Quietus
04-07-2005, 02:12
OOOPS. :embarassed:

Thanks for the (without any doubt unwanted) hint, Quietus! :grin2:

I do know I still have some images placed *somewhere* on my hard disk. Gotta find them, and finish my story (ahem).LOL. Sorry, I wasn't hinting at all! LOL. Although I admit, I'd like to see the story finished. ~:)

ps: Simon's not finished too. I haven't read SwordsMaster's yet since I want to start from you down to the very bottom. :balloon2:

o already posted the first episode. but i'm not really mad, but my dad thought he was funny and disabled me as administrator of my own PC. I see. I've read what I thought was just a short preview so I guess that's the first episode. :book:

The Stranger
04-07-2005, 09:24
no not the first episode, i'm writing a book so it's the first of 3 short previews of the book. 3 different times in the book. it will take a while befre i preview the 2nd part so feel free to comment

cunobelinus
04-07-2005, 11:10
i would like a turn on this game if somebody would pass it on wen there done

econ21
04-08-2005, 00:36
ps: Simon's not finished too.

OK, thanks for the prompting - I've finished it now. Unfortunately, any literary inspiration abandoned me but at least it fills in some of the blanks. It may be harder to write up RTW PBMs than those for MTW. As well as not seeing a reign through, it may be a case of information overload - too many battles, events, traits etc.

Craterus
04-08-2005, 00:45
Keep a handy notebook to jot down any events you'll need for the write-up.. ~;)

The Stranger
04-08-2005, 09:05
i think i'll be finished next week

econ21
04-08-2005, 20:40
Keep a handy notebook to jot down any events you'll need for the write-up.. ~;)

I did - that's the information overload I was referring to. I played 12 years and made six A4 sides of densely written notes. Perhaps not surprising given that I fought 72 battles, almost all manually. In 12 years of MTW, I think you'd tend to fight a lot less than that.

Tricky Lady
04-08-2005, 22:39
Wow! Six A4's!
I barely fill one A5 side, as I tend to keep on playing, thinking "okay I'll write that down in a second, first I move this diplomat, oh yes, there's still a spy up north that needs to be replaced...-hmm where shall I send this new family member to?" I just forget to write down a lot :embarassed:
Not to mention the many times that I lost such an A5 in the mess on my desk

SwordsMaster
04-09-2005, 02:05
It took me 3 and a half A4s for my archives, and that is because I had reached my 10 provs maximum and just concentrated on building and upgrading stuff for the last 3-4 years of my reign....

Quietus
04-09-2005, 09:28
:hide: Hmmm. I only jotted down six things: "Reforms", "Reunification", "Damme->Batavorium", "Crushes Meriadoc", "Segestes Vesantio".

I have saved games though to crib some names and refresh the memory, not to mention the screenshots. :toilet:

Tricky Lady
04-22-2005, 17:13
Quick question.

Is anybody picking up this game (or did anyone download the game)?

If not, then I'll have a go again.

Problem: I cannot access the PBM download page, so can the one who played last (YAKOBU or Emperor Umeu??), please e-mail the savegame to tricky_lady at scarlet dot be. Please mention your forum name and "Germania PBM" in the subject box or the mail will be deleted :grin:

YAKOBU
04-22-2005, 20:59
Hi Tricky Lady ~:wave:

My sentiments exactly. I'm getting a little tired of everyone wanting to join a PBEM and then the PBEM dying a death as people disappear. It's getting to the point where I consider only letting well established members join as they are more reliable. If people are having problems completing their turn all they have to do is inform the rest of the group via the PBEM thread. No news is usually bad news as they say.

P.S. Apologies if I sound like I'm on a crusade but I've just had a run in with my 5 year old son and may have lost :embarassed: .

Craterus
04-22-2005, 21:02
Have you finished this PBM yet? Otherwise, I'd be happy to play a reign..

Tricky Lady
04-22-2005, 21:49
I'd say: go for it. As far as I know, this PBM is not over yet. It should be "almost" ready though. I believe that you can finish this game. I counted 39 or 40 provinces at YAKOBU's last screenshot, so if you can conquer 10 provinces you can finish the PBM.

I am not sure if the savegame can be found on the PBM download page. YAKOBU?

YAKOBU
04-22-2005, 22:04
I have the zipped file if anyone wants it :duel:

Tricky Lady
04-22-2005, 22:17
Craterus will play the next reign; I'll play another turn after him if he doesn't finish the game.

Cheers,
Tricky Lady

Craterus
04-23-2005, 00:14
It's pretty late now in England.. You mind if I do it tomorrow morning? I been playing Scythia for the last 1hr30min, I would have done this if I'd of known. Sorry. What level are you playing on? Anything I should be aware of before I take over?

Tricky Lady
04-23-2005, 10:08
Settings of the game: Normal battles - Normal campaign - Large unit settings.

For more "info" about the game see YAKOBU's last post in the write-up thread (that's this post (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showpost.php?p=742660&postcount=7)).

Don't feel obliged to finish the game today. I would already be glad if you could just finish this game. :thumbsup:

Quietus
04-23-2005, 11:43
I think it is Emperor Umeu 1's turn isn't it? He's supposed to be playing IIRC.

Umeu, are you still playing?

YAKOBU
04-23-2005, 12:06
You are right Quietus but he has not given any indication if he is still playing his reign. He has been on the site as he has posted in my other thread. I will drop him a PM to check what the situation is.

Craterus
04-23-2005, 12:26
I'll wait before I take over then. OK, PM me if/when it's my turn.

YAKOBU
04-23-2005, 13:21
Hi Craterus ~:wave:

Emperor Umeu 1 has responded to my PM and cannot continue. PM me with your e-mail address and I will e-mail you the zip file.

Craterus
04-23-2005, 18:34
I'll download from the thing..
Or how do I get it from email, I can't paly right now, my sister is pushing me off computer.

YAKOBU
04-23-2005, 20:10
I've sent the zipped file to your e-mail address Craterus.

Craterus
04-23-2005, 20:33
I've received and downloaded it, thanks. I'm not sure if it's in the right area for me to play it. How do I get it into where I could load it up? Sorry, I'm rubbish with computers. :help: :help: :help:

Someone else can have it, I can't set it up ~:confused: ~:confused:

YAKOBU
04-23-2005, 21:33
Put it in your save game folder and unzip it :duel:

Craterus
04-23-2005, 22:53
Where is my save game folder? How do I get to it? Don't worry about offending me, be as basic as you like..

econ21
04-23-2005, 22:56
Craterus - it's where you uploaded your Pontus PBM zip file from, remember? On my computer, it's under
c:\Program Files\Activision\Rome Total War\Saves
or thereabouts.

Craterus
04-23-2005, 23:00
Thanks, found it! I've unzipped it but it looks like it's in the wrong format?

Right, I've done it, I'll have to paly this tomorrow because I'm tired of RTW now, been playing as Scythians a lot today and I'm pretty annoyed with those Germans !!! I'll do my reign tomorrow when I'm fresh.
7 provinces in a reign right? Or do you only have Rome left?

The Stranger
04-24-2005, 02:15
sorry guys (and lady ofcourse) but my dad has refused to give me back my cd or to me back as admin of MY PC, so i can't get a fresh 1.2 instal on my pc. due that i cant contineu the PBM. actually i totally forgot about it and didn't post that i couldn't contineu sorry

Craterus
04-24-2005, 15:43
Ok, I'll play it now. I had a look at the land you guys own and it's looking a pretty huge empire..

Craterus
04-24-2005, 19:29
I've played a bit but I don't think I should be the one to finish it, and I can't get on RTW next week or so, I have to uninstall and reinstall, so I think someone else should finish it. YAKOBU, could you email it to the next person.. I won't bother to upload my reign because I only played for 2 turns and I lost a lot of men in a stupid battle vs. the Greeks. It was a pyrrhic victory to say the least.

Thanks.

econ21
04-24-2005, 20:15
From what I can make out, TrickyLady was next up to play another reign. If she is still interested, she might be able to bring this PBM to a successful conclusion (first ever for a RTW PBM?).

Craterus
04-24-2005, 20:22
Really? Wow. Wel, I wasn't going to let myself take glory when I'd done none of the previous work.

Tricky Lady
04-25-2005, 18:51
Okay, I'll pick up this PBM. Can't really remember if we're far enough to finish the PBM, but I suppose I'll just go on until I get the victory screen?
I don't think anyone else is volunteering to play a (short) reign after me.

I'll have this game ready next week-end.

Craterus
04-25-2005, 21:19
7 provinces until victory so that complies with your rules, I think. ~:confused: You've got some strong armies in Italy and Greece.. and the final Spanish province to take.. Good Luck TL

Tricky Lady
05-10-2005, 09:32
A quick heads-up.
As you might have guessed, :wink: I haven't finished this game yet. I've been busy with other stuff than RTW lately, and didn't spend the little free time I got on the game.
I am rather sure I'll be able to finish this PBM somewhere this week. I'll post an update in the story thread when I'm ready.

YAKOBU
05-10-2005, 18:05
Hi Tricky Lady ~:wave:

Glad to see you are back on the case, it would be a shame if this PBEM didn't get finished.

Sorry for getting you excited in the UKTV History thread.

Quietus
05-11-2005, 09:49
Goodluck on the campaign. ~:)

Tricky Lady
05-11-2005, 12:18
I'm ready :grin2: