PDA

View Full Version : Shogun Total War Diehard's

Shambles
03-16-2005, 16:48
ok,
Having found this site,
And seting up a shogun server , I have now decided to make a Shogun total War Dedicated web page,

I hope to find a decent amount of die hard shogun players to come visit
and hopefully play online games,

Id like to know if any 1 can program a file to upload game stats "possibly from log files" to a html file on a remote point so i can set up a stats web page for game statistics,

at the moment i have only made the front page for my web page and its slowly being constructed.

any sudjestions as to contents i should add would be helpfull.
but
No rome total war cos it sux lol.
and no medievil cos i dont own the game and havent played.
:)

Thank you for your time,
:bow:

Drisos
03-17-2005, 09:29
I have now decided to make a Shogun total War Dedicated web page,

*** ~:cool: nice of yoU!!***

I hope to find a decent amount of die hard shogun players to come visit
and hopefully play online games,

die hard shogun player? hmmm, that will be me!! ~;)

No rome total war cos it sux lol. **haha*
and no medievil cos i dont own the game and havent played.

Let's hope for more STW heroes that want to play online.

Irinami
03-18-2005, 00:55
Sounds like something you could do in PHP or a PERL CGI pretty easily. Reading and dealing with lists such as log files is what PERL is made for.

Wilbo
03-18-2005, 18:13
I'd definitely be interested in this but unfortunately I'm not sure how much interest there would be. You could keep it small and ask TotalWar.org to host.. I'm not sure if they would, but you never know... I think its a good idea to just have a meeting place for players who wish to challenge each other at shogun, just for fun ~:)

Shambles
03-20-2005, 16:30
I have the room needed to host, and im currently taking screen dumps from inside the game so i can hopefully make a tech tree and other stuff,
it's taking me a bit of time but im working on it.
so il keep you informed

Shambles
04-16-2005, 16:31
Slowly Placing page together now,

I havent set up The download servers yet for files, (so no downloads yet May be there tonight though)

For a forum im linking to this forum ,

Feed back on web page could prove invaluable at this point.

Also I am still looking for some 1 with Programing skills.
I REALLY wish to be able to Keep game stats on my web page as Some sort of ranking feature.
So Please if you can do this Do let me know,

"i beleve it may be essential for any 1 who wanted there rankings to be Loged to Install some sort of uploading software, But I am not a programer and Really dont have much of a clue about anything other than HEX"

Any way.
Heres the page as it is right now,

http://dflw.2ya.com

Ive now added the downloads

Shambles
04-19-2005, 06:17
Ok prety much every thing i can think of is on site now,
chat room downloads n junk

i Still really want a way to upload stats from fakeserv2 (hopefully)
to html,
So If any 1 can do this
Please post here

Thanx

ShambleS

Togakure
04-19-2005, 07:25
Hi Shambles. Regarding battle statistics: as you might already know, battle stats are generated and stored in the logfiles folder within Shogun's main game folder, provided the option to "create log file" is checked in the game's options. These are text files and provide detail-level information, which in raw form is not particularly useful in analysing battle stats.

When Shogun was in its prime, several community members created programs called log file readers, which act on any log file, aggregating the detail information where appropriate, and presenting the data in organized, aethestically appealing screens. I use Magyar Khan's log file reader v8.2. There is at least one other out there that I know of, but I've forgotten it's name. While these programs do not present the information in a manner that could be used as is online, they are useful tools for players in analyzing battle results and studying army compositions.

I just check the new website of the Wolves (Magyar Khan's clan), and I did not see an area for downloads like they had on their old site. The site appears to be in development. You can access their forum here (http://forums.grey-wolves.net/). Perhaps if you inquire they can tell you where to find a download of Magy's log file reader. Dont' be put out if your reception is not "warm,"--we are all just "sheeps" to them ~:), and it's not personal. They are among the best players out there.

Here's a screenshot of what Magy's interface looks like, with battle data loaded:

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v139/47Ronin/logfileexample.jpg

I didn't have the "create log file" option active when we had our battle tonight, so I can't display that information here. This is from another battle where Toga gets crushed yet again by Sasaki Kojiro (formerly Mimesaka Akechi) .

One way that you could do what you're wanting to do without getting into online database delivery (which would probably be the best way to do this), would be to use a spreadsheet (Excel for example) macro to read in a log file and parse the data into cells. You could then use formulas to aggregate the additional information typically valued. A second sheet could be made for display purposes, which would simply reference the appropriate values from the data sheet. This second "interface" sheet could then be converted to html automatically and made accessible via the 'net. Not the most elegant way of going about it, but it would work. You could design it such that changing the input file would enable processing what ever log files you want, whenever you want.

You could also just use a log file reader, make a .jpg image of the interface after loading the desired log file, and then post the image on the 'net.

It would be grand to design a relational database, write a program to read in log files submitted via the 'net, another to process the data into the aggregates needed, and then generate screens for presentation on the 'net. But this would be a significant project and I don't think that, given the small audience that Shogun has today, it would be worth the time and effort invested.

EDIT: Crap, sorry to squew the thread layout. It looked fine in preview, so I went ahead and posted. I wanted to show Shambles exactly what the interfact looked like, and reducing the image caused the data to become illegible.

Shambles
04-19-2005, 08:05
Thnx 4 that the only problem I have with this aproach, Is other peoples stats...
I really kind of need Fake server to log game results.
Not shogun.

Becous shogun will only log battles vs me.
I was hoping to get Every battle played on fake server Ranked and listed on a page,

We have done it with df2, and dflw
But with those games every 1 plays in the same room,

So i guess a tourniment would haft to be held or sumthing say montly.
With 3 players.

Me to collect the log file.
and 2 more to actualy have the battle.

I would really Like to revive the Shogun Multiplayer sceen,
And i beleve that rankings Is a good way of doing this,

Did ea ever have rankings?
and if so does any 1 know how they collected the data??

Oh and by the way
Web site url is now,

http://shoguntw.2ya.com/

Hopefully easy to remember,

Thnx for input,
And i still need to sleep lol

But i seem to be behind scedule today :)

ShambleS

Togakure
04-19-2005, 08:46
If I'm understanding you correctly, you are concerned that other people could use stats in a battle that are different from their opponents. In STW, this is not possible. Stat versions must match, or the battle will fail when players hit the battlefield. I've read this is not the case with RTW, which I find to be an amazing oversight. Maybe (hopefully) this has been fixed.

I'm not sure the fakeserver has any way of recording the events of a battle. My understanding is that it's a very lean application, its sole purpose to facilitate online play. Most of the detail processing that occurs takes place on the computers of the game host and players.

Yes, EA had rankings. That's what the HONOR column in the foyer next to your name was designed to indicate. As players moved up in rank, their "honor" increased. Unfortunately, many clever players discovered ways to manipulate the system, which pretty much rendered competitive games meaningless. In the latter years of STW MP (when I came along), competitive games had become a thing of the past, and were almost never played. A few veterans from the old days would play each other in a competitive game occasionally, but not often. The majority of us just played for fun, and "rankings" were informal, in that everyone just knew who the great players were because we constantly got stomped by them ~:).

Shambles
04-19-2005, 08:56
No what i mean is.

For me to Gather EVERY 1's Rankings id haft to collect the log files from there pc's
Becous They wouldnt b loged in my log file...
As i wasnt playing.

so I guess i need to Look through The files in shogun for 1 that Seems to be uploading something,
To a un known place,
Cos thats probably where Ea used to send ranking details,
And Then il just need a program that Can collect those details lol,
ANd get every 1 to edit That file on their pc.

LOL so I guess It Looks like its gonna be Reall basic tourniment Rankings.

Some thing Like

Name . . . . . . . . . . . . WINS. . . . . . . . . LOSSES.
Shambles . . . . . . . . . . . 0 . . . . . . . . . . . . 0.

Id hoped for much much more lol :)

But if i cant make fakeserver Log ALL battles to a seperate log file,
I dont see how i could keep Track of all the battles and who won vs who,

Any way Im going to bed now :)
Finaly caught up with stuff.

I should go visit a nother forum or 2 To check on some posts But,
Il just go to bed,

ShambleS

barocca
04-19-2005, 15:07
the site is looking good

Jochi Khan
04-19-2005, 15:31
Looks impressive

Jochi

Shambles
04-19-2005, 21:35
Thank you Both...
But i wouldnt go that far lol.

Its acceptable, at best lol.

But Im still trying to find Which File EA used to use to update Competative game results.
If any 1 knows Could u give me a hint,

Ive got prety much everything together apart from that now.
So any ideas. i will test,
any one tells me they Know I will go and try,
and if any 1s managed to Get battle results uploaded To a ftp automaticaly.
Plz let me know.

Shambles

Shambles
04-19-2005, 22:58
Ok any 1 know what the.
News server
section of the Internet.cfg used to do?

Did that upload game stats to EA?

Ive been told some people were Abusing the ea service and eventualy rendered competative matches obsoleet Due too there tampering..

Id like to talk with some of these people Becous I want to know what you did how you did it, which files you edited and where you sent it to,

So any details would be helpfull thanx

Togakure
04-19-2005, 23:09
I'm guessing here, but I don't think game stats were uploaded to the EA server in any level of detail.

Honor points were what determined rank in the official ranking system that existed when the official infrastructure was in operation. I've never seen anything written up about exactly how the Honor point system worked. If you played a game that was marked "Competitive" (as opposed to "Friendly" on the online battle setup screen), the winner of that game's honor would usually increase, and usually the loser's would decrease. If the Winner's honor before the match was significantly lower than that of the loser, more honor points would be awarded, whereas the opposite was true if the winner's pre-honor was significantly higher than the loser's (and vice versa for the loser). I've witnessed matches where the winner's honor did not increase at all because his honor was considerably higher than that of the challenger's.

Starting honor for a new online player was 100 (as indicated on the fakeserver). Maximum honor was 200. I don't think the algorithm that determines a change in honor after a competitive battle was ever published, but I could be wrong. I am also clueless as to what files from the client side were involved. When you looked at the offiicial ranking page, or used the official search engine, it was the honor rating that determined where an individual stood in the ranks.

Shambles
04-19-2005, 23:21
ok Then

Im gonna disscontinue this Type of ranking for a while,
And start wroking on a Tourniment style Game,

Like a king of the castle thing,

Hers a pic.

http://freespace.virgin.net/shambles.instalations/pictour.JPG

as you can see 8 players would start, and the winner would progress up the Ladder,

Prehaps a tourniment 1ce a month,
running over a maximum 3 day peiriod,

not turning up on time for a battle would result in a forfit,
may be with a Admin of sorts Hosting a 3 player game,

so that the winner could be veryfied,

What do u think?

Togakure
04-19-2005, 23:35
~:). Kas (with a little help from me) conducted a similar tourney last year, using the 1.03 stat. We were graced with many participants from the old days, as well as some good new players. Mimesaka (Sasaki Kojiro) and Kansuke (a Wolf Clan member) won the tournament. It was 2v2.

Many such tournaments took place in the past, using this same structure, and many still do in MTW and if not already, soon, in RTW. The main challenge is getting enough interest, and then managing the tournament to everyone's satisfaction. They tend to take a while to complete because of conflicting schedules, real-world responsibilities, and the differences in time zone.

I think it's great that you are wanting to sponsor one. I'm not sure whether the community will respond or not, but it's always worth a try. The 47Ronin attempted to create a more complicated on-going league, but it failed because of our inability to come to a consensus on how the league should be structured and operate. Also, things were a bit tense in the tiny Shogun community at the time (politics, politics ... silly, but an unfortunate reality in most "community" affairs). I say go for it! If it doesn't take off, it's no reflection on your effort.

Togakure
04-19-2005, 23:40
Just my opinion: An admin would not be necessary as far as monitoring the games go. The log files can be submitted, and as both parties have log files they can verify that the results are correct amongst themselves. We relied on the honor of participants, and never had any problems (with reported battle results anyway ...).

Short times frames as you've suggested are unrealistic, imo. Based on my previous experience and the testimony of players and tourney hosts who have far more experience than I do, you have to allow a reasonable amount of time for players to meet and complete their matches. In our tourney, the teams played a best 3 of 5, rather than base a tourney advance on a single game. We all have our bad moments, loss of control that results in a loss despite superior skill, etc. These are things to consider.

My tuppence worth ... .

Shambles
04-19-2005, 23:53
well i had never expected it would just be 1 match and thats it your out or through to next round,

1 defence 1 attack, Both on same terrain. (Yet to be decided)
Then a decider if needed on a even terain.
"terrains could get progressivley more difficult to attck against"
(finals at Awaji Prehaps)

A time period for matches Would haft to be flexible,
And agreable to all parties.

We can Iron out the details later,

So I will start a post to find out who has Any interests, In this,

and will start work on the page when Its been confirmed that there are enough participants To play in the tourniment,

It would be nice to group similarly skilled people together in the early stages,
but that could be just as un fair as letting fate decide :)

Off to Play som MP
ShambleS

Shambles
05-06-2005, 09:54
Just relized i never linked this topic to the one that spawned from it,

Any way heres the deal,

Web page Is still growing But all basic functions work,
any way,
As i was saying page is prety much done now The downloads are there Theirs a basic chat room, and a shout box type thing.
Im linking to this forum instead of having my own,
I have a shogun demo download,
and places to buy shogun from usa an uk.

Theres also a internet speed test But only works 1ce unless you delete tempory internet files,

I will add more stuff to it as i think of them But at the moment, were having a tourniment,
I hope to have several.
so please keep active in the shogun community

Heres the topic about the tourniment,
https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=46526
And i guess that means this thread is prety much done with,

Thank you for your interest,
ShambleS