PDA

View Full Version : Hoplite spears

Drag0nUL
03-22-2005, 21:09
I know this issue may sound unimportant but it would be nice if someone from the EB team took time and answered me.It is about the hoplite spears.Real hoplite spears were,to my knowledge about 2.5 m(8 feet) long, increased to about 3.5 m after Ipikhrates's reform; in vanilla(and I've seen that also in some old EB screenshots) they seem to be well over 4 m; and the grip is wrong too: it is a phisical impossibility to hold such a long spear so close to the end. So I was wondering how will EB represent hoplite spears.

The Wizard
03-22-2005, 21:32
IIRC, we will change the way hoplite and phalangite models hold their weapons. Those with shorter spears ('hoplite models') will attain an overhand thrusting attack, over their shield, just like warfare was carried out by hoplites of ancient times (not sure if that applies to the timespan of RTW... but then again, I'm not one of the modders, but a historian, and not a Hellenic historian either). Meanwhile, those with longer spears ('phalangite models') will be modelled to have a two-handed, underhand thrust, as they had IRL.

Hope this helps,

~Wiz

conon394
03-22-2005, 22:55
increased to about 3.5 m after Ipikhrates's reform; in vanilla(and I've seen that also in some old EB screenshots) they seem to be well over 4 m; and the grip is wrong too: it is a phisical impossibility to hold such a long spear so close to the end. So I was wondering how will EB represent hoplite spears.

At best there was an Ipikhratian reform of Athenian peltasts. There is simply no really good basis to support the ideal that there was a general change in hoplite spear length.

Drag0nUL
03-23-2005, 08:18
I never stated there was a general hoplite reform. I just listed Ipikhratean reforms as a case where hoplites used longer spears.(but still shorter than vanilla shows them).

jerby
03-23-2005, 08:41
from what I've read the hoplites will have short spears. wich are shorter. check it out yourself by edititng it in export_descr_unit. change the attributesform: spear, to: spear, short_pike,

all greke hoplites will have overhead stabbing. but my qeustion is then: what about carthaginian 'hoplites'?