PDA

View Full Version : reginal recruiting elies

jerby
03-28-2005, 14:44
I'm just postign what's on my mind here, feel frre to flame.

I'm just wondering why only seleucids. carthage. etc can recruit elies. historically even greeks fielded elies with phyrus. so why not make it regional: recruitable by everyone who's would know how to deal with them: like the romans and the greeks.
in export_descr_building something like +hiddenresource asia.
second: in RTR the ptolo's can recruit base-1 regular elies. teh african one. not teh later, because the seleucids blocked there asia-trade. this can be reflected with teh method above.
elies pretty much rule in rtw/rtr, so they will be less powerfull if everybodyhas acces too them.

EDIT: how will elie vs elie be handled? in rtw it seems very slow.. maybe give all elies bonuses vs elies.

Rodion Romanovich
03-28-2005, 18:12
Speaking of Pyrrhus's elephants, from where did he import them? And what happened to Alexander the Great's elephants, that he got as a gift from the bactrian king after their battle 326 BC? Did Alexander's elephants die on the way home or did they end up with one of the successor states (the seleucids?), or did Macedon get them?

jerby
03-28-2005, 19:45
well elies don't have the eternal life. so teh elies from alexander weren't the elies used in the successor-wars.
all i'm saying is that elies should not be faction-tied since everybody in that region should be able to get them. it's worthe testing..

Steppe Merc
03-28-2005, 20:01
But not all factions would use them. Even some nations that were around the area didn't use them, or we at least have no sollid proof for it.
For example, Parthians have no solid proof for using elephants, but their successors, the Sassanians did use elephants.
And why would the Romans be able to use them? They owned North Africa, and they didn't use elephants.

But you can always recruit elephant mercanaries.

jerby
03-28-2005, 20:13
they will still be in? nice.
rome never used them? dumbasses... well, that's it for my idea.
do you knwo anything about sizes? I recall to ahve read African elies were as big as the tier-1, and asian elies were war/armoured elies. is this true? were asian elies bigger?

Steppe Merc
03-28-2005, 20:31
Well there were a couple of Elephant species.
The Indian ones I think were the best trained and biggest. These were the ones that Alexander acquired and the Selecuids used. They were used for the longest time in warfare, from before Alexander to gunpowder times.
As for African, this is where I get confused. I don't think they were today's African elephants, as those lived in the sahara. I think the ones Hannibal used were from the North of Africa, and were smaller, but they died off, mainly through Roman using them in gladitoral stuff. But I'm not quite sure.

Sheep
03-28-2005, 20:34
African savannah elephants today can get bigger than Asians. African bush elephants are about the same size. There was a species of elephant in North Africa that is now extinct, this may have been what Hannibal used. It was not as big as the current African savannah species.

*finally glad his Wild Animal Park job has come in handy*

Edit: Scooped by Steppe Merc!

jerby
03-28-2005, 20:42
ok, so will size between carthaginain elies and seleucid elies be featured? will the ptolomaeics get acces to only african UNTIL they obtain an Asian province ( they will then be recruitable only in that province and any other asian province taken).
how was elie vs elie battle? I read that at ipsus the elies were deployed against each other ( or something) how was it and how will it be in EB?

is it me or has ,my bullshit scared off khevlan?

Steppe Merc
03-28-2005, 21:19
~D
It's not that, he and Aymar are really busy implemeting everything for our next internal test. Once that's done, and he's recovered, he'll probably come back and answer questions. But for now, it's best not to disturb him. ~;)

No, that's ok Sheep, I wasn't quite sure myself.
Jerby, they will use different skins, as it wasn't just size difference. Indian elephants have smaller ears, and have different style armor, etc.
As for the question about Ptolemiacs and the Selecuids, the Selecuid's elephants came from India, not from Syria or Asia Minor. And I'm not even sure if the Ptolemiacs even used elephants... Did they?

jerby
03-28-2005, 21:33
ok great

AggonyDuck
03-28-2005, 23:25
And why would the Romans be able to use them? They owned North Africa, and they didn't use elephants.

Actually if I remember correctly the Romans did use elephants atleast in three battles: Battle of Cynoscephalae 197 BC, Battle of Magnesia 190 BC and Battle of Thapsus 46 BC.

Sarcasm
03-29-2005, 00:28
And they used elephants in Iberia too against the people of Numantia. But all of these were presents from allies, they would not recruit units of those by themselves, so in-game this is probably going to be represented by regional mercenaries.

Also the Ptolemies used Elephants in battle, but against the larger elephants used by the Seleucids, they were usually defeated. Guess size does matter. :bow: