PDA

View Full Version : ChivalryTW Early Era RELEASED + MP Screenshots

Lord Adherbal
03-31-2005, 23:29
the Chivalry TW Early Era MP mod brings the early middle ages to Rome Total war, making tons of brandnew units and factions available in Multiplayer and Custom Battle. This version does NOT include a campaignmap, and it mainly ment to be played in Multiplayer.

MOD DOWNLOAD:

MIRROR:
use this if the other links dont work
http://downloads.troytw.com

download the mod here:
click to download (http://users.skynet.be/lukasnijsten/RTW/chivtw0.2.7.rar)

Download patch 0.27b here:
click to download (http://users.skynet.be/Carthaginian/RTW/chivpatch027b.rar)
it adds new units & fixes a couple of (balance) issues

TRAILER DOWNLOAD:

Irish Fenian made a very nice Trailer Movie for the mod. It shows a battle between Novgorod and the Mongol Horse. You can download it here:
click to download (http://users.skynet.be/Carthaginian/RTW/ChivalryTW-Trailer.wmv)

SCREENSHOTS:

all of these screenshots were taken from Multiplayer games:
Screenshots Gallery (http://img86.exs.cx/gal.php?g=battle19kk.gif)

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS:

-Make sure you have a CLEAN RTW 1.2 FOLDER - NO OTHER MODS INSTALLED
-download the Chivalry TW mod
-Extract the file in the RTW ROOT DIRECTORY (winrar is required, can be downloaded for free on rarlab.com)
-doubleclick the executable in the RTW root folder to start the mod (or a shortcut to it).

The mod features:

-over 60 playable units, all carefully balanced in series of Mp and SP tests

-19 playable factions, each with unique units and fighting styles

-dozens of new custom maps, ranging from flat forested maps to hilly inlands

-redesigned gameplay, combining the tactical possibilities of MTW with the more flexible and varied units of RTW.

-2 Historical battles: Hastings and Kayala River. These scenarios are rather simplistic, but should be a nice extra for singleplayer.
WARNING: it appears the Hastings battle is broken. We will fix this in a small patch very soon. Perhaps including other (usermade ?) battles.

gameplay improvements over RTW vanilla:

-reduced battle pace: RTW did not take scale into account. Soldiers may run at realistic individual speeds, but TW battles are supposed to represent real historical battles, which involved (tens of)thousands of troops, not a couple of hundred. Therefor things such as movement speed and killspeed need to be scaled down. Chivalry TW reduced the movement speed by about 15% (and more on difficult terrain types) and seriously decreases killing speed, thereby allowing for much more stategical manouvering, and taking away the "rushy" feeling of RTW. It also makes unit positioning invaluable because it is nolonger possible to "warp" units from one flank of your army to the other. If your left flank cavalry is wavering, dont expect your right flank to get there in a second and save the day.

-rebalanced unit speeds: cavalry can catch foot units easier - no more chasing foot archers across half the map with light cavalry. There are multiple "classes" of speed for both cavalry and infantry, ranging from light (fastest) to very heavy (slowest, very heavily armoured). This makes light units have a better advantage over slower but tougher units in the right circumstances, allowing light - but much for flexible armies - to stand a chance and have their own unique strategies. RTW only had 2 different speeds for both cavalry and infantry (fast and normal).

-effective kill speed reduction: The mod's technique of killspeed reduction does not rely on huge defence values like some other mods, therefor it does not have the problem of units with invulnerable frontside and sugar backsides, or needing insanely high charge and projectile attack values (the weakest archers have "1" missile attack). The much lower stats also allow unit upgrades to be much more usefull, which brings me to the next point:

-upgrades are valuable: like in MTW, (most) units need experience upgrades ("valor") in order to become reliable. Most - non-elite - units will not be capable of holding a line very long on v0. Weapon and Armour upgrades are more effective for raw fighting results, but they do not give the advantage of a more stable morale.

-more realistic morale, units will waver and break when badly outnumbered, outflanked or even just threathened in their back. Only upgraded elite units (2 or 3 experience upgrades) can hold their own against all odds, but those units are rare and expensive.

-unit types balance revised: archers are nolonger the long range killing machines from RTW. The cheapest archers will inflict casualties when firing at armoured and shielded opponents, but it will not be cost effective. However that does not mean that they cannot be a pain in the butt or seriously hurt morale when used in large numbers. And they are much more effective against lightly armoured opponents. "Elite" archers with armour piercing arrows or bolts will be able to hurt even the heaviest units, but they will still be vulnerable to light - and much cheaper - archers, meaning they will not make you win the game without some use of skill. Cavalry is a deadly tool, but one that needs to be used with skill. Cavalry will not be able to push through infantry formations the way they can in RTW, therefor massing them into a big bunch will make them sitting ducks to archers and easily surroundable. Only the almightly "Chivalric" knights of the high and late eras will have devastating charge values, but that will come at a high cost - and these units are not available in the current early era mod. Therefor infantry becomes the most important trooptype of every army (with some exceptions such as the Cuman/Mongols).

-manually balanced unit statistics: The mod's unit balance has been revised completly for over 4 times (thanks to Buukenshin for his endless whining and redoing of statistics ;)) to ensure near perfect balance and combat results. I cannot garantee that there are no overpowered units, but each class and type of units has their own advantages or disadvantages which can be used in favor or against them. Most unit's were manually balanced in series of 1 on 1 unit tests (which can become very boring, but does give you a very good impression of what all those magic numbers do ;))

-sharper unit sprites: perhaps not very important but it makes it a that bit easier to recognise units from a large distance then with the blurred sprites in RTW vanilla.

-no sacrifises whatsoever to MP in order to garantee a better SP experience - more likely the other way round. Also, reported balance problems will be investigated and fixed with a patch faster then CA could ever dream about ;)

-no artillery - or any other plain annoying units :D

What future may bring:

Provided the Early Era mod will turn out to be a succes, development will continue.

-High Era units will be added to the mod, including mightly chivalric knights and pavise crossbowmen. To make a distinction between the eras, units will have an [E], [H] or [L] behind their name to indicate what era they are from. That way players can decide to only use units from specific eras.

-Medieval castles available for siege games. The idea is to make them much more fair and popular then in MTW in multiplayer games. For example towers will not fire at opponents. If you want something that shoots at opponents you'll need to place archers on the walls. Castles will also be much smaller then RTW cities, making it easier to attack from all sides. Catapults should also be effective to thin out the garrison before attack.

-A fully functional SP campaign, if only to attract more potential multiplayers

-eventualy Late Era units may be added, such as gothic knights and pikemen and early gunpowder units.

Notes:

-the mod is best played on large or huge unit sizes. Smaller sized should still work fine, but will make the gameplay different (due to small scale)

-Suggested Florin amounts are 10k for games with valor and weapon upgrades, and 6k for unupgraded units. Higher then 10k will make cheaper/weaker units obsolete and is therefor not advised.

-a preferences.txt file is included (called OPTIMALpreferences.txt) for optimal settings: this includes GameSpy ID's, Quickchat and Minimal GUI. You may need to redo your Video and Audio settings if you choose to use this file.

-playing with a "4 max" rule will result in a more enjoyable experience, altho it should not be necessary for balance concerns.

Mod team:

Head Programmer & Designer
- Lukas "Adherbal" Nijsten

Design & Management
- BuuKenshin
- Andriyko
- Dirty Peasant
- Miguel "VikingHorde" Kristensen
- Ninjacool

Skinning & Modelling
- Andriyko
- Dirty Peasant
- Adherbal

Balance & Beta-Testing
- BuuKenshin
- Alexandros
- AggonyDuck
- Crow
- Antek
- Tom
- Jhonny

Historical Advice & Research
- Carlos "Adelwulfs" de Lorenzo
- Karl "Anti Strunt" Thomasson
- Armchair Athlete
- Hasasharin
- Mikel
- WrathOfMe
- Urnamma
- Russ Mitchell
- janosik007
- galizien
- Adahn

Webmaster
- Ninjacool

Special Thanks
- Strategic Command Center - for forum and mod hosting
- Vercingetorix - for his awesome modding tools

Website
- http://www.stratcommandcenter.com/chivalry/

Forum
- http://www.stratcommandcenter.com/forums/i...hp?showforum=40 (http://www.stratcommandcenter.com/forums/index.php?showforum=40)

Betito
03-31-2005, 23:46
EErrr.... the link for the trailer is missing...

Steppe Merc
03-31-2005, 23:47
Yay! Um were is the link? I couldn't find it in your post, so I just got it from your forum... but yay!

Lord Adherbal
04-01-2005, 00:04
fixed now

Zharakov
04-01-2005, 01:53
I cant find the place Im saposed to put the MOD.

Can you give directions?

Lord Adherbal
04-01-2005, 11:49
INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS:

-Make sure you have a CLEAN RTW 1.2 FOLDER - NO OTHER MODS INSTALLED
-download the Chivalry TW mod
-Extract the file in the RTW ROOT DIRECTORY (winrar is required, can be downloaded for free on rarlab.com)
-doubleclick the executable in the RTW root folder to start the mod (or a shortcut to it).

the "rtw root folder" is were the RTW executable file is in, something like "c:\program files\activision\rome total war\" (unles you installed it elsewere). You nee to extract the mod in that folder. If you still want to be able to play RTW vanilla (or another mod) you have to make a copy of that whole directory, name it "chivalry total war" or something, and extract the mod to this new directory. Does that help ?

King Azzole
04-01-2005, 16:51
Nice work men! I cant wait till I get home from work to DL this! REALLY looking forward to the SP campaign.

Zharakov
04-01-2005, 20:55
Ahh ok...

You see I have no "C" file. Because there is no "C" in the Russian language.

I have a "V" or "B" file.

But your instructions make mroe sence now.

Alexander the Pretty Good
04-01-2005, 23:50
Looks nice. I tried to join a multiplayer game, but none were for CTW. So I tried a custom to see a few of the units - very good. I hope you make a SP version! (Preferably one that can be installed over this demo/beta to save space...).

Keep it up! ~:cheers:

OISÍN
04-02-2005, 00:34
Oi! Adherbal ,stop playing all those multi-player games and start work on the SP gawdam it.
Really enjoyed the game today man.
Guess you need a little break after all that work.
Just dont take too blooming long ok?!?

Outstanding mod my friend,may i call u my friend dear fellow?
Well met!

Lord Adherbal
04-02-2005, 12:10
@Alexander: we've been playing a lot of games in the competitive lobby yesterday evening (between 18.00 and 23.00 GMT). I'll be on again this evening (18.00h GMT) so if you want a game I'll be there (and probably others aswell).

04-02-2005, 21:09
Haha! My first two MP games ever were utter failures! But great fun.

Good games, Adherbal! :charge:

Lord Adherbal
04-03-2005, 21:43
patch 0.27b has been released, I posted the topic in the Multiplayer forum:
https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?p=735742#post735742

some fixes, new units, and historical battle fixes

IrishMike
04-09-2005, 20:47
The Custom Battle and Historic Battle options are greyed out on my game and won't let me access them. Whats wrong?

Lord Adherbal
04-09-2005, 21:04
open preferences.txt and change
FIRST_TIME_PLAY:TRUE
to
FIRST_TIME_PLAY:FALSE

IrishMike
04-09-2005, 21:11
Ahh, thank you. Can't believe I didn't think of that.

Magnus Imperator Maximus
04-10-2005, 09:40
I am a great fan of this mod and it is great what you do, but can't you put a sound track or something simmilar to download here. I liked the music of the trailer, so if someone could place a link where I can download it, it would be great.
thanks

04-11-2005, 00:30
The music from the trailor is from Medieval: Total War I believe.

Sauron the Great
05-13-2005, 16:31
Hello Adherbal
Just tried to install your mod and when i started it, it went to a C:TW loadscreen sort of thing and then froze. If you clicked or hit enter or escape it went to the desktop. Any Ideas?

05-13-2005, 16:37
I got that at first - because I hadn't installed the 1.02 patch. Did you do that?

Sauron the Great
05-13-2005, 17:28
No i haven't got the patch. But im gonna give it a try now and see what happens. Thanks alot. ~:)

Sauron the Great
05-13-2005, 18:13
Installed the patch and still no joy, just did the same thing. Any other ideas anyone?

Afsin
05-14-2005, 14:20
[removed by authors request]

05-14-2005, 14:57
If you installed the patch over the modded version, install the mod into that directory again - making sure to overwrite everything. That might work.

Sauron the Great
05-14-2005, 15:24
I installed the patch after I had installed the mod. I think i must be installing the mod wrong or something. I might just wait for the full sp campaign to come out. Thanks for your help though guys. ~:)

05-14-2005, 17:27
I think you can make it work by installing (re-installing) the mod over patch. I'm pretty sure that is what I did. :book:

Mongoose
05-17-2005, 01:10
Where can RAR be downloaded from? Thanks.

The mod looks good ~:cool:

05-17-2005, 01:17
You can find it here. (http://www.rarlab.com/) Assuming you mean WinRAR. :book:

EDIT: Specifically, here. The second link from the top. (http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm)

Mongoose
05-17-2005, 01:56
Thanks! :bow:

Soldeten
06-12-2005, 06:54
Hopefully, the CTW modders will come out with a SP version soon. RTW is getting old and I would hope ofthe many mods in progress something should be finished by now. If 3dsmax was easy to get and to keep I could have my own game out by now. If anyone of you are looking for a skinner/graphics guy, I will trade diligent, meticulous and expedient work for a copy of 3dsmax/pro. Meanwhile, I sojourn the web for a good new game. ~:handball:

Soldeten

Myrddraal
06-12-2005, 09:09
If 3dsmax was easy to get and to keep I could have my own game out by now.
Unfortunately that applies to us all, many a mod starts out with no modeller...

CYGNUS
06-20-2005, 17:30
nICE mOD.

I can't access the saxons huscarles fyrdmen from Custom battles. I only see them in the historical hastings battles. I want to play them in custom battles.

also, some of the axemen have pointed feet (or no feet) at a far distance. When you get close their feet show. I have shaders on in game settings and in txt preferences.

Lord Adherbal
06-21-2005, 09:48
the saxon units are not in Custom cos they were gone by the time the mod starts (1072). Originally we were planning to let it start aty 1066 (hastings) which is why we made them. So they will only be around in historical battles.

As for the axemen, the lower LOD models need to be redone. It's not a problem with your computer.

CYGNUS
06-21-2005, 18:01
oK. but can you change that? add a new saxon flag?
~:)

humvee2800
07-30-2005, 11:52
okay ive been continualy trying to install chivalry total war but your instructions just simply arent detailed enough for my simple brain,i ask if u could plz make a step by step instruction thing for me to follow considering i am very :duel: :duel: :duel: :duel: :duel: :duel: :duel: :duel: :duel: slow :duel: :duel: :duel: :duel: :duel: :duel: :duel: :duel: :duel: :duel: :duel: :duel: :duel: :duel: :duel: :duel:

Lord Adherbal
07-30-2005, 12:04
I suggest you use the mod switcher (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=50164). That way you can still use RTW vanilla or other mods. Remember you need a clean RTW install with patch 1.2 applied (and no other mods) before you start.

humvee2800
07-30-2005, 16:10
how do i clean it of other mods and does saved gamescause problems

humvee2800
07-30-2005, 17:18
by the way(i dont meen to be a spammer by putting in so many posts today)but chivalry total war and the realism mod for rome total war are mt favourite modds for rome total war

and now i must go kik some carthaginbian ***
:charge:

Lord Adherbal
07-30-2005, 18:55
how do i clean it of other mods and does saved gamescause problems

you'll have to reinstall RTW (and patch 1.2). After that if you use the mod switcher you'll never have to reinstall again (if nothing goes wrong). Savegames will still work for any mod (aslong as you remember what mod each savegame belongs to).

humvee2800
07-31-2005, 19:51
well number one,thanks for the info,number two (holy shit you are fast at responding to qeustions)anyway i gotta go nkik some french ass with britain medevil style

humvee2800
07-31-2005, 20:06
oh yah two quick qeustions adherbal,do you have any idea when the next beta will be released anbd what itll include

Lord Adherbal
07-31-2005, 20:11
mid-august or later. Will include full SP campaign for the early era.

humvee2800
07-31-2005, 20:29
hmmmmmmmmmmmmm(damn u respond fast,im thinking of just starting to post to time how long it takes u too respond(lol))anyway i have to say im excited for that next patch though i hate how i gotta wait for it.i have to admit the combined waiting forces of waiting for nect patch and rome total realism got me angry right now :furious3: :furious3: :furious3: :furious3: :furious3: :furious3: LOL

caesar44
08-01-2005, 10:21
Adherbal']mid-august or later. Will include full SP campaign for the early era.

Do you mean it for single player or , again , for multi player only ?

Ciaran
08-01-2005, 10:34
A release, finally :jumping:
No campaign, yet, but at least something, you are great.

humvee2800
08-01-2005, 13:26
god ceaser ,didnt u read his meessage ,it says it will inculde a full sp(single player)campaign map,god i hate stupid qeustions

King Ragnar
08-01-2005, 13:49
Huh he clearly said a sp campaign yet you say things like no campaign yet and for single player or multiplayer? Cant you guys read. :dizzy2:

Lord Adherbal
08-01-2005, 14:07
I guess Ciaran didn't notice this thread is over 4 months old :)

humvee2800
08-01-2005, 18:04
king ragnar ciaran is talking bout the release just released

Ciaran
08-02-2005, 09:43
Indeed I was. And I was wrong, you can start a campaign, but it´s still far from being complete - a lot faction die in te first turn, I suppose because they´ve got no units and family members assigned to them. However, the custom battles are fun, great work you did on the units, they are purely impressive, even more so when you see them in the game instead of in screenshots.
One question, though, why do a lot of infantry units have the Cantabrian Cycle ability ~:confused: ? As they´re mostly spear units, isn´t it supposed to be the phalanx ability?

caesar44
08-02-2005, 10:37
god ceaser ,didnt u read his meessage ,it says it will inculde a full sp(single player)campaign map,god i hate stupid qeustions

Sorry but we , in the ME don't know that sp is for "single player" , you see , we think it is for "smash posts" , I hate arrogance....

caesar44
08-02-2005, 10:41
Huh he clearly said a sp campaign yet you say things like no campaign yet and for single player or multiplayer? Cant you guys read. :dizzy2:

Can't you use punctuation ?

Lord Adherbal
08-02-2005, 12:00
One question, though, why do a lot of infantry units have the Cantabrian Cycle ability ? As they´re mostly spear units, isn´t it supposed to be the phalanx ability?

all the "barbarian" factions' infantry automatically gets warcry ability. By giving them cantabrian circle the warcry ability is "overwritten". Cantabrian circle has no effect on infantry, so it's a decent way to get rid of warcry.

Ciaran
08-02-2005, 12:51
Oh, all right, then, I was just curious.
However, wouldn´t phalanx do the same? After all, the description of one of the spear-bearing units mentioned a "shield wall" tactic.

Lord Adherbal
08-02-2005, 13:16
it's not only spear infantry that would get warcry. And the phalanx has too many restrictions, and is no were near how medieval "shieldwalls" would've fought. Using Guard Mode is basicly what a shieldwall would be (better protection from shields, but lower killing speed).

Shaun
08-04-2005, 12:14
well if you wait for BI then you cood have a sheild wall.

humvee2800
08-04-2005, 17:47
(one)ceaser dont call me arrogant when u dont have enough intelligence to geuss what sp means when yur looking for if it has a singleplayer campaign.go do the world a favour and eat shit and die

Kor Khan
08-04-2005, 17:53
I don't really see any need for conversation like this ~:confused: .

cool it

humvee2800
08-04-2005, 17:59
bt the way adherbal in your downloads secion of yur site it says that the medevil battles werent battle off 100s but off many 1000s.many medevil battles were only small battles of hundreds.large battles were often avoided due to the HUGE amount of casualties thaat could occur.people would usualy only attack a large enemy if they had a very very large advantage.
i have also been thinking,i just recently downloaded the new rome total realism mod (6.0) and it has astounded me of its qaulity.i also thought wouldnt it be cool if u and the realism team helped eachother out.im sure both of your teams have codes and stuff like that that could tremendously help eachother(just a thought).oh and when will the early age for you mod end,and can we make castles or large forts in it.

Myrddraal
08-04-2005, 20:05
The modding forums usually stay clear of insults and flaming, and I want it to stay that way please. Keep criticism constructive, and if you don't like what someone posts, contact me or ER please. There's no need to fight.

Thx

humvee2800
08-04-2005, 23:18
i wasnt insulting or flaming adherbal, i was just pointing something out

The_Mark
08-05-2005, 00:14
Myrddraal meant post #57 (and, presumably, posts that lead to it). We've seen enough of that.

Myrddraal
08-05-2005, 00:31
humvee, check your PMs please.

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/private.php?

Ciaran
08-05-2005, 08:53
Back to topic, I´d suggest.

Adherbal, when I played some custom battles I saw the Feudal Knights (for that matter, any mounted unit that has one) don´t use their secondary weapons and wondered why. Searching the export_descr_unit revealt a possible solution. Was it accident or purpose that secondary weapons of mounted units have an attack value of zero, dito that none of your units have a charge bonus?

The_Mark
08-05-2005, 17:47
Adherbal, when I played some custom battles I saw the Feudal Knights (for that matter, any mounted unit that has one) don´t use their secondary weapons and wondered why. Searching the export_descr_unit revealt a possible solution. Was it accident or purpose that secondary weapons of mounted units have an attack value of zero, dito that none of your units have a charge bonus?
I believe it's on purpose, based on the WYSIG principle, and research has shown that the charge bonus is quite redundant, so they have taken it out completely. Am I right, Adherbal?

waitcu
08-05-2005, 19:28
the download link is err............................................

Lord Adherbal
08-06-2005, 08:22
I believe it's on purpose, based on the WYSIG principle, and research has shown that the charge bonus is quite redundant, so they have taken it out completely. Am I right, Adherbal?

you are right. In next beta they will have charge values again, but the effect is still unclear. Units like knights who need a good charge have a higher lethality, to compensate the broken charge bonus.

As for secondary weapons, the AI never (or rarely ?) switches to secondary weapons, which is why I left them out. Even tho it looks cooler to see your knights fight with swords in close combat, we all know the AI is already weak enough as it is...
Also, there is no added gameplay element in secondary weapons for cavalry. Because there is no reason NOT to use them - they will use their primary weapon when charging anyway. Which means you would always be alt+clicking, and players who are not aware of this would get a disadvantage (in MP).

Soulforged
08-07-2005, 03:21
Can i touch some of the features without making the others suffer. I want this mod, but i don't like some features of it. So i ask this, but also if you will like to take the job of saying how to eliminate some features then even better. What i don't like (of course very personally):
-The reduced game pace, the killing rate (you really don't say how you do this only that is not by rising the armor values, i must know how otherwise i cannot do anything), the effectiveness of the cavalry when charging (i like them like killing machines and making all fly throught the air). Well that's all really.
But i want to ask something: The building system and agents system is going to be the same as MTW? I didn't like the agents system of it, but the buildings were fair. And suggest something: i don't know about everybody else but i don't like that the towers don't fire and the castles being smaller, but if you do it, well i guess i can just fix it when i download it but...).

Ciaran
08-08-2005, 09:49
What´s wrong with the charge bonus, I thought it would be added to the normal attack value when charging? Or is it now the only attack value used when charging?
By the way, you still have assigned secondary weapons to the mounted units, not only in export_units but also in descr_models_battle, so they do have the skeletons for them.

Hross af Guttenburg
08-10-2005, 19:23
As an old MTW:er I loved this even as the beta custom game...great work and I am sure the finished product will be SO MUCH BETTER than anything else out there in both playability, feel and quality it already smacks of thorough research and good thinking.
Shame more folks do not play this as MP yet....
I did notice in play though that one or two units were surprisingly powerful and wondered why this was as they struck me as strangely powerful...such as slavic warband (whom I think should really be given a horde formation) their javelins wiped out a charge of my foot knights and this was without any armour bonuses etc. I can understand the morale of small weaker units such as the slavs and peasants being tweaked so that they don't run away all the time but they really seem to be strong units even compared to what historically were considered elite units such as feudal knights etc.

I loved the look of the AngloSaxons in the Hastings map, why don't the early English get some AS units like huscarles? The Danes get vikings....

Keep going guys....great stuff

Kor Khan
08-11-2005, 07:26
Hmmm... I never noticed those ones being overpowered. We could take a look at that for the next beta. So far, Aemen have been banned from MP, being much too strong, and Varangian Guard, Swabian Swordsmen and Viking axemen are restricted to two per army. We'll be fixing all of those for the next beta.

why don't the early English get some AS units like huscarles? The Danes get vikings....

Well AFAIK, all the English had at Hastings were Huscarles and Fyrdmen, nothing else. And for custom battles, the game is set after 1072 and the English were Norman by that stage. They just had the standard European unit selection.

humvee2800
08-13-2005, 01:42
i apolagize to ceaser for insulting him in some of myposts.i hope he accepts this apology

humvee2800
08-13-2005, 01:45
adherbal how goes themod?
oh and have u taken up on my idea of having your mod work a little bit with rtr(rometotalrealism)

Lord Adherbal
08-13-2005, 09:01
it's going fine, we'll soon have a fairy completed campaignmap for internal testing. As for working with the RTR team, there is no aspect were we need any help, so I don't see the point.

humvee2800
08-13-2005, 10:37
oh well i just thought id mention itsseeing as earlier in this forum i remember someone talking about u guys perhaps implementing the aoror zor systems that the rome total realism team has come up with(changing it to suit yur mods needs of course).In case u didnt know, what im talking about is in rome total realismthere are areas where added to your standard units you can build there are area specific units for that particular area.such as in rome there is italian swords man italian spearmean exc.exc.this allis based of a larger part of the game in which you have too change citys using auxilarys in order to slowly bring them into yuor cultures faction son that you can recruit troops at the newly captured settlement.This could be a VERY interesting implement into the chivalry total war game.imagine invading france and being able to "britainize"them to some extent so that u could recruit french knights or somehting like that.that would make chivalry total war turn from a good game to a great game.there is alot of possibilitys for such a addon to the game.i geuss what im saying is that such a idea could be made alot easier if you asked for help from rtr on how they did it.

just a suggestion,cheers ~:cheers:

Lord Adherbal
08-13-2005, 10:55
if I'm not mistaking that system of "converting a city to your culture" only works for the Roman factions in RTR, so it's of no use to us.

we will have regional units just like MTW did tho, that's nothing new

edyzmedieval
08-13-2005, 15:59
Adherbal,

How many are on your team?! And who is on your team?!

Lord Adherbal
08-13-2005, 16:02
officially:

modellers:
Andriyko, Dirty Peasant & me

campaignmap:
Militiaman & Dusteuh

historical battles:
Kor Khan

all the rest:
me :P

We have a lot of help from a number of other people tho, but that's limited to research & advice.

humvee2800
08-13-2005, 23:09
actually the(absorb a city into your culture works for all factions and i was just suggesting it.:(
anyway keep up the good work and i cant wait for the release,in mid augaust isnt it?.either way i have to say that i am taking up chivalry total war as my second wife while rome total realism remainsas my other.imagine the kids ~:) !!! lol

Hross af Guttenburg
08-14-2005, 22:23
I appreciate that there are some strong units, and units which are particularly good at specific things but I suppose that is the point. How strong is another matter, you seem aware of these issues so I won't moan...

Well AFAIK, all the English had at Hastings were Huscarles and Fyrdmen, nothing else. And for custom battles, the game is set after 1072 and the English were Norman by that stage. They just had the standard European unit selection.

The AngloSaxons is really my area in history this so I will be careful that I don't ramble on too much...But I think the English are such an important faction in the game and we have a lot of Englishmen like myself that love to play them.
To say that the Huscarls and Fyrdmen were the only units in Godwinsson's army is a misunderstanding, the name huscarl and fyrdman probably doesn't represent a clear cut unit type but a reference to a warrior's social origin or role on the battlefield. The fact is that spearmen, axemen, swordmen, some cavalry and certainly archers were used extensively by Godwinsson's army. The saga of Haraldr Hårdråde relates how the English arrows were what defeated the last stand of Haraldr and his guards or huscarls. The whole elite core of the army was certainly mounted, at least in transport, because Godwinsson managed to defeat the Norse at Stamford Bridge and then get to Senlac Hill within four days. The athelings and fyrd definately did not all use horses for transport AND battle but they certainly had them along at Senlac Hill and were ready to be used as cavalry if necessary. Although they were probably tired-out from the journey.
No doubt Godwinsson used local levies too, men that were not elite nor involved in the battle with the Norse but the fact that Godwinsson set up camp on a hill was clearly to use his archers from behind the shield wall.

Until long after 1066 the English (non-Norman) lower classes were not at all infiltrated by their Norman overlords culturally (a fact preserved in the modern English language) and in fact the English middle-class military must have been very strong since the AngloSaxon Athelings, (aristocrats and proffessional warriors) had lost their lands to the new Norman and French overlords, making them a kind of Ronin and a new middle-class they would not have just disappeared or begun farming or something....several AngloSaxon heroes come from this period such as Hereward the Wake son of Earl Leofric and Lady Godiva proving that the AngloSaxon warriors were both a threat and a useful part of the Norman-English war machine.
So pleasepleaseplease have some kind of AngloSaxon unit for the Early English...otherwise the English identity is not reflected in the game.

Lord Adherbal
08-15-2005, 08:27
the english will start with a couple of saxon units, but probably not capable of training them.

caesar44
08-15-2005, 10:18
i apolagize to ceaser for insulting him in some of myposts.i hope he accepts this apology

It's OK

humvee2800
08-15-2005, 16:02
yo adherbal i dont wanna nag but is the team still go for the mid augaust release(if so do u got any date).i dont meen to bug but if it is possible i wanna know. :charge: :charge:

Kor Khan
08-15-2005, 16:08
It's now late August, due to a few setbacks such as Adherbal's computer going on strike for two weeks, but it won't be any later than then, that's a promise. So look at the 31st August as the current release date, it might just come out before then.

humvee2800
08-15-2005, 16:46
boooooooohoooooooo ,that gives me only a few days toplay it before school strts.oh well.cheers ~:cheers:

humvee2800
08-19-2005, 07:05
in the next releasewill therye be a campaign map included.if so what eras will be included

Kor Khan
08-19-2005, 07:25
Yes, there will be a campaign map, all of the early era will be in there, in fact. You'll just have to wait for later releases to get the high and late eras, but it shouldn't take all that long (all we really need for those is new units and castle designs).

Hôjô Ujimara
08-19-2005, 13:28
:(....

I'll be away when this mod is released. Damn you holidays, damn you Tenerife!!!

The mod looks great so far, infact, so good it's tempting me to reinstall RTW.

humvee2800
08-19-2005, 16:23
when does the early era end?.also when does the campaign end.after the upcoming beta when will a nfull edition be expected(i understand this is hard to know,perhaps just a geuss if u will)

Ciaran
08-19-2005, 22:34
Are there already plans of how to manage the transition of the eras? Will there be something like the Marius Reform or will the eras be completely disjoined?

SomeNick
08-28-2005, 06:45
I was just about to download and saw that there is no SP campaign :( Excellent looking mod though and great work guys. Is there many online who use it? If so I will certainly download it anyway.

I'm still a newbie mod user by the way! So, be nice.

Thanks again for your great work.

P.s. Can't wait for the SP campaign!

Lord Adherbal
08-28-2005, 09:59
There are still custom and historical battles for singleplayer, just no campaign. I don't think anyone plays this version online anymore because the dev team and beta testers (= the bulk of the multiplayers) have moved on to the next private beta.

caesar44
08-29-2005, 19:19
Any news about the single camp' ? what about the distribution of the factions in the camp' map ? :bow:

Lord Adherbal
08-29-2005, 20:10
were's planning a campaignmap preview soon, probably in a week or so

LeftEyeNine
09-05-2005, 01:15
Sorry but, here comes an absolutely dumb question :

Is it impossible to play unmodded RTW after installing a Mod ? With or without Mod Switcher program ?

Lord Adherbal
09-05-2005, 08:58
only if you use the modswitcher, or make a copy of your RTW folder and install the mod in that.

LeftEyeNine
09-05-2005, 09:41
Which way is more error free ?

Lord Adherbal
09-05-2005, 09:51
a copy is more save, cos if you screw up the modded folder, you still have your untouched RTW folder. If you use Modswitcher and something goes wrong (for example: no more diskspace halfway through installing a mod) then your folder is messed up, and you'll need to reinstall RTW.
So a combination of both is best. Keep an unmodded RTW folder, and use the Modswitcher in a copy of it (so you can play all the mods you want using that copied folder, and you always have a backup of RTW vanilla)

Ciaran
09-05-2005, 10:28
Some issues I noticed this weekend playing the public beta once again:
Your feudal foot knights change the way they hold their shield if you zoom a bit away from them ( I suppose it´s the medium and low poly model being displayed then). And the chivalric knight model has a sword animation, but no sword as a secondary weapon, I know the AI doesn´t use secondary weapons of cavalry, but I like to see my own knights doing so.
And what happened to your norman men at arms, you´ve got the model and texture, but they´re not used in the game ~:confused:

L'Impresario
09-05-2005, 10:50
Am I the only one who hasn't seen the 0.27b's unit files:p
IIRC norman maa are actually there, I think you confuse it with other units used only with a certain historical battle.
And why would chivalric knights be in the early era I wonder heh

Lord Adherbal
09-05-2005, 10:56
norman maa were removed cos they wouldn't be any different from any other maa. Why have the same unit twice with a different name.

LeftEyeNine
09-05-2005, 11:32
Adherbal,

Should we expect some version leaps to get the final release of this Mod. Because you know, The BI expansion is coming and this can enlengthen the hot lifetime of RTW for another 6 months at most. Considering the progress being at 0.27b, I think you must be preparing a great deal of modded stuff instead of releasing everything prepared immediately ?

Beta test is a vital part but the next release should reach some halfway point, don't you think ?

My favor for this Mod goes since it resembles my beloved MTW.

I aprreciate your great effort and present my kind regards,

LEN

LeftEyeNine
09-05-2005, 13:06
By the way, is it possible to change the badges in circle that represents the faction and runs in order after you press the "End Turn" button ?

Ciaran
09-05-2005, 13:17
Adherbal']norman maa were removed cos they wouldn't be any different from any other maa. Why have the same unit twice with a different name.
No, the cas name is norman_manatarms, and it looks like the armoured spearman but has a sword, that´s the one I´m refering to.

L´impressario: The Chivalric knights weren´t actually put in the game, but the cas files and textures are in the download pack, dito for Gothic Knights, Gothic Pikemen and Pavise crossbows, and, well I took the liberty of trying them.

Lord Adherbal
09-05-2005, 14:05
Should we expect some version leaps to get the final release of this Mod. Because you know, The BI expansion is coming and this can enlengthen the hot lifetime of RTW for another 6 months at most. Considering the progress being at 0.27b, I think you must be preparing a great deal of modded stuff instead of releasing everything prepared immediately ?

I'm not sure what you mean. The latest private beta is labeled v0.31c, the next public beta will probably be around v0.35. It'll basicly be a full version, but only featuring the Early Era.

By the way, is it possible to change the badges in circle that represents the faction and runs in order after you press the "End Turn" button ?

yes it is - the campaignmap isn't supposed to be played in 0.27 so I wouldn't bother though.

LeftEyeNine
09-05-2005, 14:20
Erm.. The campaign map mode is a lot of fun, is it too difficult to process that mode ?

boastj
12-06-2005, 21:48
I'd love to play this MOD but I don’t know what to do with the files and the mod switcher didn’t seem to work, could you put it into a setup file or something.
~:confused:

hellas1
12-10-2005, 01:12
Hi folks!

I just downloaded the mod & its patch but did something stupid.

I had a 1.2 version of RTW but w/ninja cool's historical mods which I deleted as well as the bug fixer by player 1 and CVP patch/switcher also which I removed.

I have 2 questions:
1. Is the starting screen supposed to be red with "CHIVALRY TOTAL WAR"
on it?

2. Even though first_time_played:False I still have greyed out historical
single player, etc. buttons per se.

How do I fix #2 screw up and am I right for question #1.

Sorry, I thought I could monkey with it and get everything to work but its failed for me. Not a "clean" install. ~:rolleyes:

Thank you for your help

Hellas1:knight:

Lord Adherbal
12-10-2005, 11:46
you are certain that it reads exactly like this:
FIRST_TIME_PLAY:FALSE

in preferences.txt in your RTW root folder. I really don't see any other reason why those options would be unavailable.

hellas1
12-10-2005, 21:32
Hi Adherbal!

thanks for your response sir. I'm all set

I couldn't clean up the modded RTW I had so I deleted it and started all my mods over again, since most of them will be for 1.3

By the way, If I download the CTW early era and patch will I have to reinstall them later? I don't know if CTW is for RTW 1.3 or not.

Awaiting your response, Hellas1

Proud supporter of Byzantium Total War! Na Zisi I Ellas! :san_laugh:

Lord Adherbal
12-11-2005, 11:35
the future version will require an unmodified version of BI - or Rome 1.3 for battles only (no campaign).

hellas1
12-12-2005, 04:59
Does this mean that CTW won't have a campaign or campaign's at all?

Thanks!

Lord Adherbal
12-12-2005, 17:31
the RTW 1.3 version will not have a campaign, the BI version will

RTK-Viktor_of_Astaroth
12-17-2005, 20:09
Adherbal']the RTW 1.3 version will not have a campaign, the BI version will

Hey ad.? matey...by any means, can you tell us the release date of the sp CTW.? :san_laugh:

So far, them screenshots look really good.
cheers. :eyebrows:

torguskhan
12-26-2005, 16:53
that stupid link doesnt even work!!!

GaugamelaTC
01-04-2006, 19:27
Torgushkan no need to get rude, adherbal and the team have put in hours if not days of work in to this mod. I myself played it, but I had to uninstall R:TW. I want to re download it but the link comes up with some belgian website. Adherbal, is there a way to get round this?

BTW love the mod. Fantastic:2thumbsup: :2thumbsup:

Lord Adherbal
01-04-2006, 20:09
use the mirros kindly offered by the Troy TW team:
http://downloads.troytw.com

Dirty peasant
01-10-2006, 18:36
geeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzz this forum must really get some more updates:dizzy2:
https://img205.imageshack.us/img205/3766/lancers5rs.jpg
Gendarmes.

Agraes
01-10-2006, 19:27
:jawdrop:

Helgi
01-10-2006, 19:44
geeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzz this forum must really get some more updates:dizzy2:
https://img205.imageshack.us/img205/3766/lancers5rs.jpg
Gendarmes.
:horn: When Is the SP campaign coming out?
Nice screenshot though,
:jawdrop: :denmark: :england: :france:

Dooz
01-10-2006, 19:52
Download links aren't working. Update? I want to try the mod.

GaugamelaTC
01-10-2006, 20:31
Look at the post before yours Adherbal has posted a new link for us. Thanks again Adherbal!

Lord Adherbal
01-10-2006, 23:23
the troytw mirrors are down too atm, not sure what the problem is, but I hope it'll be back soon. I really need my webspace for the private betas atm, so I can't rehost it there anymore, sorry.

Dirty peasant
01-17-2006, 10:21
WE NEED CAMPAIGN MAP CODERS , PLZ HELP US!
Hussites with pavise shield(ill make it shorter a bit maybe)
https://img3.imageshack.us/img3/5678/pavise8qk.jpg
Billmen
https://img3.imageshack.us/img3/6942/billmen2dc.jpg
Swiss pikemen
https://img69.imageshack.us/img69/5144/siwsspikemen6tj.jpg

Gen_Lee
01-17-2006, 11:20
Great pics.
Cant wait to try a campaign so hope You can find the needed coders soon.

KonstantinosXI
01-17-2006, 15:11
I could try to help you with the campaign...but i can't grant you a succes....

Helgi
01-17-2006, 21:58
Great Pic's:bow: and as far as getting and needing help, why not do a separate post stating that they need people to do a campaign for Chivalry? :idea2: :medievalcheers:
:denmark: :england: :france:

boastj
01-20-2006, 18:17
Looks like your mod is going to be obsolete they have just announced the a new total war :wall:

KonstantinosXI
01-20-2006, 19:33
It's not obsolete. they are doing this mod because they liked the idea, and i'm sure they'll always like their mod!

Stormy
01-20-2006, 22:12
No, never obsolete!

Dirty peasant
01-21-2006, 16:23
Gothic Foot Knights
https://img216.imageshack.us/img216/1945/gothicfootknights3jx.jpg

al'Callaendor
01-22-2006, 01:12
it is...wonderful!

Helgi
01-22-2006, 02:33
Gothic Foot Knights
https://img216.imageshack.us/img216/1945/gothicfootknights3jx.jpg
Holy Crap(I mean it in a good way) I'm speechless

Stormy
01-22-2006, 05:27
Wow.. Excellent!

Samurai Waki
01-22-2006, 11:17
Adherbal and Dirty Peasant are gonna show the boys at CA how medieval combat is meant to be!~:cheers:

alpaca
01-22-2006, 12:49
Adherbal and Dirty Peasant are gonna show the boys at CA how medieval combat is meant to be!~:cheers:
Currently it's Dirty Peasant only :(
Adherbal resigned two days ago from Chiv.

Dooz
01-23-2006, 19:52
How come? Any official word?

Byzantine Mercenary
04-21-2006, 23:33
mod looks great but none of the links work, help!