PDA

View Full Version : echelon rules.

jerby
04-01-2005, 16:54
I'm not sure the romans called it an echelon, but it works. the main goal of the formation si to stop the enemy phalanx from forming a line. if they get a line, you're dead. if they don't you pick them of. here's how it went.

I (romans) vs the comp ( macedon). we both spent 13000 on 10 footunits.
ik spent mine in late legionares ( soem with 3, soem with 2 exp) vs the computers 10 phalanx pikemen ( All with 4 exp).

I arrange my line in a slightly angeld formations ( echelon) with one reserve on the left flank, wich is my strongest.
the enemy forms a line with on centered reserve.
we approach, i kill 80 men with javs. they attack. but break up the line. my troops poor in every possible hole to attack and let the phalanx drop spears.
on my left is send my reserve/captain to do a flank. the enemy spends their reserve in center. and slowely the enmy gets picked-off from left to right and rout. the trick: their center was alread breaking because of teh mini-flank-attacks for my center ( echelon-break-up).
teh stats: me 421 men, 513 kills, 341 left.
teh stats: comp 601 men, 94 kills, 88 left.

so it works! thanks to someone on this forum. so teh question: will the echelon be a formation for the ai? or a default formation for groups?
wich reminds me, when I for a line with the group& single line formation. there are always big holes in the center when I do that. ditto for teh enemy. willt hsi be fixed?

Khan48
04-01-2005, 17:39
Which direction is it angled, or does it not matter? Is it angled w/ a point and tow angles radiating backward from that or is it just one slant?

jerby
04-02-2005, 15:34
well, angle doesn't really matter. my units were 5 deep. and at the 3e row of the first. the second unit began. the most important part is that you rush a unit in towards an exposed flank. the echelon is just a tool for the basics of ancient warfare: flanking.

The Panda Centurion
04-02-2005, 21:57
The thing is, the comp always breaks up its phalanx lines, even without you doing anything.

jerby
04-03-2005, 14:10
yeah, that's a pitty. but i guess it will work on mp too