PDA

View Full Version : Techincal isues

SwordsMaster
04-03-2005, 16:20
Models, textures, editing, etc.

This thread is for discussing/sharing achievements, or issues that have been arising from the practical modification of the game´s features.

Sundjata Keita
04-03-2005, 17:50
This thread is for discussing/sharing achievements, or issues that have been arising from the practical modification of the game´s features.

Sounds technical to me ~;)

SwordsMaster
04-03-2005, 18:20
Sounds technical to me ~;)

Yeah, and I spèlled "technical" wrong too

Sundjata Keita
04-03-2005, 18:53
You spelled spelled spélled, spelled's spelt s p e l l e d

SwordsMaster
04-03-2005, 22:13
You spelled spelled spélled, spelled's spelt s p e l l e d

AAAAARGH!!! :dizzy2:

Anyway, MAX question: is it possible to create a "plane" object with a circular shape? Cause I used the sphere, but my rapier has 7k+ poligons

GodsPetMonkey
04-03-2005, 22:19
AAAAARGH!!! :dizzy2:

Anyway, MAX question: is it possible to create a "plane" object with a circular shape? Cause I used the sphere, but my rapier has 7k+ poligons

7000 polys!!!

Thats like 10x the ammount you expect in a highest LOD model alone!

Give us a pic of what your trying to achieve and I'll see if I can help you.

SwordsMaster
04-03-2005, 22:43
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v201/SwordsMaster/rapier_render.jpg

Yeah, I know, hence my problem. I´m using a split "sphere" object for the handle, which takes about 5k polis I think, so If I could use something different it would be most useful.

GodsPetMonkey
04-03-2005, 23:23
Right, well for a start, when drawing your sphere, set the sumber of segmants to 8! Sure, it looks blocky, but its a small thing anyway, and you need the polys down low.

For the blade, hexagon prisms are your friend, wether it be round of flat! Using the Cylinder tool, set the number of sides to 6, and draw away, leave it as it is for a rounded blade (like a fencing sword) or drag the north and south faces towards the center (flattening it out). I tend to merge the vertices at the end to form to point, and use poly tools to add any new vertices I need (great plugin!).

Remember, its a small object in game, so low detail wont be easy to notice anyway. The highesh detail of my weapon models (sabre with curved blade and guard) uses about 96 polys....

http://www.users.on.net/~roehr/RTW/Sabre.jpg

And I think that is an extremely large number (which is dramatically reduced in my lower detail models).

Luckily I can save a few... the grip is larely hidden by the hand of the model, so I just reused the standard RTW grip, which is a lot lighten on the polys then my original curved version.

SwordsMaster
04-04-2005, 00:30
For the blade and the grip in straight swords, daggers, etc, I just scale the existing RTW weapons and edit the grip, sometimes adding a guard or whatever is needed. It´s just with that round guard that I ran into problems.

Thanks! Somehow haven´t thought of setting the sphere to 8 segments (done it with the shield tho...)

Other thing: is it necessary to texture the weapon separately from the actual model, or can it be done all together?

Cheers.

GodsPetMonkey
04-04-2005, 04:52
For the blade and the grip in straight swords, daggers, etc, I just scale the existing RTW weapons and edit the grip, sometimes adding a guard or whatever is needed. It´s just with that round guard that I ran into problems.

Thanks! Somehow haven´t thought of setting the sphere to 8 segments (done it with the shield tho...)

Other thing: is it necessary to texture the weapon separately from the actual model, or can it be done all together?

Cheers.

All elements/objects in a model should use the same material (RTW doesn't support multiple materials for one unit model).

SwordsMaster
04-07-2005, 09:57
Reduced the poly count down to 1006. Cant really see how could it be reduced further...

Sundjata Keita
04-07-2005, 17:20
I can reduce it some more if you want, you just need to make sure the polygon count for all seperate objects is the lowest it can be before distorting the shape. You can check this with the polygon welding modifier.

SwordsMaster
04-07-2005, 17:39
Yup, I just realized I could still squeeze out a nother couple of polis here and there. Its just about 900 now.

Sundjata Keita
04-08-2005, 14:51
900 is still way too much, you need to make it about 100 or less. I just had a go and you can make a nice hand guard thing with 96 polys and with a bit of vertex welding this can be reduced to 68. The rest of the rapier should only take about 20-30 polys if not less and so this should leave the model about 100 polys altogether.

SwordsMaster
04-08-2005, 18:21
900 is still way too much, you need to make it about 100 or less. I just had a go and you can make a nice hand guard thing with 96 polys and with a bit of vertex welding this can be reduced to 68. The rest of the rapier should only take about 20-30 polys if not less and so this should leave the model about 100 polys altogether.

I meant 900the whole figure: soldier, shield and weapon.

Sundjata Keita
04-09-2005, 08:44
Oh ok, sorry, my mistake

SwordsMaster
04-09-2005, 12:49
Question: if I want to put a model into the game, I have to redo all the versions of the model, right? otherwise it will look different depending on the distance to the camera, right?

Sundjata Keita
04-10-2005, 12:52
Well you could just use the one model you did, for all of the different versions but this is not recommended. I suggest using the vertex weld modifier to automatically reduce polys and then save for a lower detailed model. Keep doing this to get all the different versions.