PDA

View Full Version : new PBM campaign

orcorama
04-06-2005, 01:59
HI all i want to start another R:TW PBM campaign. this will be my second i have participated in.
medium or hard difficulty
medium battle difficulty
large unit size
10 year reigns

faction: what do you want. im thinking maybe carthage or britannia

i am a major noob so please join!

orcorama
04-06-2005, 02:02
craterus, lillgannon amoung other i know you were interested

Craterus
04-06-2005, 14:07
I don't know if Littlegannon is willing to join, like I said in another thread - he's never visited the Throne Room, but I'll ask him if he wants to participate when I see him. Or I could PM him. I'll do that.

What version are you running orcorama? I think it's easiest if everyone in this campaign has 1.2 because I think it's the most common.

I think Hard campaign difficulty, Medium Battle Difficulty but I don't know what faction, I don't mind. I've played Scipii, Britannia, Spain and Egypt before but I don't mind revisiting Spain or Britannia. ~D

orcorama
04-06-2005, 17:18
i have version 1.1 but it shouldnt be a problem
as for faction carthage, britannia or spain is fine with me

Craterus
04-06-2005, 19:15
I don't mind, I would vote Carthage because I haven't played a campaign with them yet... but Britannia is an exciting faction..

cunobelinus
04-07-2005, 11:00
im up for it but i game is broken at the moment so i got to wait

Craterus
04-07-2005, 11:25
I think you could just go last on the list.. Any ideas what factions we should play?
I think Pontus would be funny.

econ21
04-08-2005, 00:39
I'd be interested in joining another PBM. We tried Carthage recently but it did not get that far - took out the Scipii and then stalled.

I'm inclined to medium campaign difficulty as well as medium battles, as otherwise the naval aspect becomes a little frustrating (the AI navy rolls with weighted dice).

Craterus
04-08-2005, 00:43
I like M/M, sounds good to me...

Faction - maybe Dacia? or Spain?

Tricky Lady
04-08-2005, 18:00
I'm with Craterus' first suggestion: I think Pontus would make for a fun PBM campaign.
I really like to play on the eastern part of the TW campaign maps! ~:)

Just my humble opinion :bow:
TL

Craterus
04-08-2005, 21:28
I'm with Craterus' first suggestion: I think Pontus would make for a fun PBM campaign.
I really like to play on the eastern part of the TW campaign maps! ~:)

Just my humble opinion :bow:
TL

And an opinion that is welcomed ~;) . So Pontus has two votes? ~D

cunobelinus
04-12-2005, 21:19
pontus i think we should do i will be last in the list of whos playing

Craterus
04-12-2005, 21:55
Orcorama, do you agree with Pontus as the faction? I think it would be cool but you are the leader of this campaign so feel free to disagree.

econ21
04-13-2005, 00:29
Orcorama has not visited this site for 6 days and I'm a little cautious about someone with only 14 posts taking responsibility for the long haul that is a successful PBM. I suggest we give him a few more days and if he does not return, maybe someone else - Craterus was the next to post in this thread - should start of a Pontus PBM?

orcorama
04-14-2005, 01:29
sorry i had a virus and i had to completely redo my computer.
anyway pontus sounds fine with me.
im fine with someone else taking charge i just wanted to start the ball rolling.
im still having problems with rome so someone else can start the campaign.

orcorama
04-14-2005, 01:31
also i would prefer the m/m difficulty as im not a super good player

econ21
04-14-2005, 09:03
Thanks for updating us and sorry to hear of your computer troubles, Orcarama.

To recap the current proposal:

medium campaign difficulty
medium battle difficulty
large unit size
10 year reigns
version 1.2
faction: Pontus

List of players:

Craterus
Simon Appleton
Tricky Lady
Orcarama *
Littlegannon *

* when problems with Rome are ironed out. If Orcarama gets his computer troubles sorted, I am happy for him to play before me.

Any other people want to play?

If Craterus wants to start, it might be an idea to begin a new Pontus thread. If not, I am happy to do so this weekend.

Craterus
04-14-2005, 17:17
Ok Simon Appleton, I'll take charge of this PBM if you want. So Pontus M/M. Please reply because I would prefer to start it tonight. Thanks guys.

econ21
04-14-2005, 17:21
Ok Simon Appleton, I'll take charge of this PBM if you want. So Pontus M/M. Please reply because I would prefer to start it tonight. Thanks guys.

Great - go ahead, Craterus, and good hunting!

Craterus
04-14-2005, 17:55
Thanks Simon Appleton I'm going now to start on it. As they say, wish me luck!

FOR PONTUS!!!!!!!

Do I play to Winter 260 BC or Summer? Or shall i just count 20 turns?

Tricky Lady
04-14-2005, 20:16
Suggestion: add these "rules" as suggested by Quietus in the Germania PBM:

10 provinces conquered maximum within a reign.
If the faction leader dies before taking in at least 7 provinces, the player must continue (but the 10 limit still apply).
If the faction leader dies and has taken in at least 7 provinces, the player will turnover the game to the next player.
So if you're blitzing you can pass the game to the next player after two turns :grin2:

Craterus
04-14-2005, 20:33
I don't really like the sound of that idea. Maybe a max. of 10 provinces conquered in a reign. But the 10-year reign still applies.

But I don't have to worry, I'm a really defensive player.

Tricky Lady
04-14-2005, 20:37
Okay, no problem. :smiley: After all, it's going to be "your" PBM campaign...

Craterus
04-14-2005, 20:46
Well, it's everyones campaign and it was orcorama's idea to begin a new campaign..

I may need a really detailed step-by-step account to upload this PBM onto this site... (I don't know how to upload files.)

Tricky Lady
04-14-2005, 21:04
Yeah yeah, I know that :wink: but I meant that you're going to kick off the game so you can fix some rules.
Of course the one I suggested can't be fixed when starting up an imperial campaign in RTW, so i was wrong there :tongue2:

EDIT: woo-hoo, post 1,000!!!! :balloon2:

Craterus
04-14-2005, 21:17
Congratulations! :balloon: :balloon2: :balloon3:

econ21
04-14-2005, 22:25
I may need a really detailed step-by-step account to upload this PBM onto this site... (I don't know how to upload files.)

When I come to upload, I always click on this thread:

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=29005

It explains how to upload (it's really easy - IIRC, hit the link to the uploader, browse to find your zipped file on your computer and click the upload button) and more to the point has the link to the uploader. Shout out if you hit problems when you come to use it.

Craterus
04-15-2005, 18:13
Ok thanks... I'm halfway through the reign. ~D

cunobelinus
04-15-2005, 20:48
i will be last to play ok

Craterus
04-15-2005, 22:08
I've finished my reign, who's next?
I might need to tell you a bit about how this game is going before you start your reign...

orcorama
04-19-2005, 21:34
craterus
can u upload the game or if you have already has the next person, simon, gotten it?
im just wondering whats happening
rome works but i havent got the 1.2 patch to work
ill report anything new

[B][U]GO PONTUS!!!!!!!

econ21
04-19-2005, 22:37
I don't have the savegame but would be keen to pick it up if Craterus uploads it. Pontus starts off with a rather weak base so these early years will be exciting!

orcorama
04-19-2005, 22:51
i have started my own single player campaign with pontus with the same settings
and if craterus doesnt post his save game for whatever reason you could try mine
also i have unpatched version of Rome:TW so im not sure it will work

Craterus
04-20-2005, 17:33
I'll upload in 10/20 mins!! I have a ton of allies so our borders are secure from factions like Armenia and Seleucid. Unfortunately, the Greeks didn't know the meaning of alliance and attacked Nicomedia. I slaughtered them and charged them Pergamum for Ceasefire and T.R. . Lol.

Ok' I'm going to upload it now. Bye. ~D

orcorama
04-20-2005, 22:30
great!
can u post at least a short recap of what you have done?
also simon can go next but if its alright with Tricky LadyI'd like to go after him.
if not im fine with going after Tricky Lady

btw: did you take any screenshots?

econ21
04-20-2005, 23:17
OK, I've successfully downloaded Craterus's savegame and it works fine on my computer - thanks, Craterus!.

Orcorama, if you still don't have the 1.2 patch, you may want to download the file too - it's called Pontus_PBM.zip - and see if it will work on your RTW. It will give you more time to try to find a work around if there is a problem. Is the problem with getting the patch your internet connection? The patch is a big file (57MB or so), but maybe someone could put it on a CD for you? Which country are you in?

orcorama
04-21-2005, 05:59
where is the file? sorry i just havnt figured the whole system out yet. usually there is a link to the file is in the thread

econ21
04-21-2005, 08:00
where is the file? sorry i just havnt figured the whole system out yet. usually there is a link to the file is in the thread

To upload or download files, use the link below:

http://www.totalwar.org/Downloads/Uploaders/pbmupload.php

To find the file, just press the "view upload directory" link in red and it will show you all the Org's PBM savegames - sort by date and you'll find Pontus_PBM.zip as one of the more recent.

Tricky Lady
04-21-2005, 08:35
Well I don't know what going wrong over here but no matter what I do, I cannot connect to the upload/download page of the org. I always get the error message "The connection was refused when attempting to contact www.totalwar.org". The forums work fine though, as you can see ('cause I'm posting :grin:)
I already PM'ed TosaInu about this and he replied that there might be a problem with the PHP scripts.

So, as long as I can't download a savegame, you better not count to much on me.
Of course you can email the savegame to tricky_lady at scarlet dot be but if you do so please mention "Pontus PBM" and your forum name as a subject, otherwise the mail will be filtered out.

:medievalcheers:

econ21
04-21-2005, 11:42
If you are still having trouble when your turn comes, TrickyLady, I'd be happy to E-mail you the relevant savegame.

Tricky Lady
04-21-2005, 11:50
Well I tried to edit my ZoneAlarm settings, so I added the link to the "trusted" ZA sites, and even ZA displays an error "ZoneAlarm cannot find /link/".
Strange ay? :huh:
So a savegame by email would be great then;

orcorama
04-22-2005, 05:09
i installed the 1.2 patch (YEA)
but now Rome:tw wont start up (BOO)
i will try some things but im getting really fed up with this patching buisiness

orcorama
04-22-2005, 05:10
also before patching i tried the pontus game but it didnt work
the strange thing was that the 1.1 saved games did???

econ21
04-22-2005, 09:13
Sounds like you are nearly there, Orcarama. If it still won't work, best thing to do is to completely uninstall RTW. Then do a clean install and run the 1.2 patch. It's a pain, I know, but should work.

I'll play my 10 years this weekend. The kingdom is small, so it won't take me long. If you post that you can load Craterus's old savegame before I finish, you can take the next 10 years after me. If you are still having technical problems, maybe I should e-mail my savegame to TrickyLady take the next turn while you work things out?

Craterus
04-22-2005, 16:20
Sorry, I'm a really defensive player, especially in the first 1- years of the campaign. I think Pergamum is a good city to have though so I wasn't all bad. P.S. Seen how many allies I got? Unfortunately I had the "War declared on Ally" message and I picked the wrong one so Thrace aren't our allies anymore but they are pretty close to us.

Tricky Lady
04-22-2005, 17:10
:grin: Looks like we're all defensive players... Are we conquering? :grin:
Did you take any screenshots Craterus? Screenies are always a very nice addition to the PBM games...

econ21
04-23-2005, 22:16
Ok, I've got to 250BC. Since Orcarama has not posted that he has overcome his tech problem, I have e-mailed the game to Tricky Lady.

The situation is very exciting - we are the largest faction, having cleared the Seleucids out what the lands we now call Turkey and advanced to take Damascus. However, Egypt has started a war against us before we were able to knock out the Seleucids, so things are going to be interesting!

PS: Tricky Lady, if you don't receive my EM then I have your address wrong. Maybe PM me with it? The savegame is uploaded as Pontus_250.zip if anyone wants to take a look.

Craterus
04-23-2005, 22:56
:grin: Looks like we're all defensive players... Are we conquering? :grin:
Did you take any screenshots Craterus? Screenies are always a very nice addition to the PBM games...

Sorry I didn't, it's Print Screen to take a screenshot, right? I've tried it but it doesn't work. Where will I be able to find any screenshots? I'll have a look for them, don't worry about offending me, be as basic as you like, I'd like to find my screenshots.

Simon, sounds like you had a really productive reign? Did you conquer Temple of Artemis and Halicarnassus? Maybe even Rhodes?

econ21
04-24-2005, 10:14
Craterus, any screenshots will be in your TGA folder under the general Rome Total War folder. Unfortunately, when I press printscreen, the TGA files I get are just black. To take screenshots, I had to download a free program called "FRAPS". I run that program before starting RTW and then press F10 to get screenshots.

My reign was productive, but thanks for doing the groundwork: you left me with a really large war chest and some very handy mercs. I took rebel Halicarnassus, but not Rhodes as we are not at war with Greece (although a Greek army has been wandering across our lands for the last 10 years!). Plus we only started to emerge as a sea power in the last few turns, thanks to some newly commissioned tiriemes. Tricky Lady will have fun fighting the Egyptians, but I believe Pontus is strong enough to prevail.

Craterus
04-24-2005, 10:57
I found my TGA file but they're all blank, where do I get FRAPS?

you left me with a really large war chest and some very handy mercs.

That's what I do in the first 10 years, reel in some cash, get an army ready for the take-off, make some allies (in case of unexpected attacks on another front) etc.

Tricky Lady
04-24-2005, 12:07
PS: Tricky Lady, if you don't receive my EM then I have your address wrong. Maybe PM me with it? The savegame is uploaded as Pontus_250.zip if anyone wants to take a look.

Hi Simon, Thanks I received your email. I am not sure I'll play this afternoon as the weather turns out to be inexpectedly :sunny: so I guess I better enjoy that first and play the game tonight (sunny days in Belgium are pretty rare).

It looks like I'll have to struggle for power with the :furious3: Egyptians (my God, I do hate that faction) so it's going to be a nail-biting contest.

econ21
04-24-2005, 12:35
I found my TGA file but they're all blank, where do I get FRAPS?

The answer to this, as indeed it seems to most questions in life nowadays, is google. Go to google.com and do a search for "FRAPS" and "download", you should find a site easily.

PS: Unfortunately, FRAPS won't turn your black screens into something viewable but it will allow you to take screenshots in future (so long as you start up FRAPS before running RTW and then press F10 to get your screenshot).

Craterus
04-24-2005, 12:37
Is it a large file?

Tricky Lady
04-24-2005, 13:37
I couldn't resist to taking a quick peek at the game (I played 4 turns), and I already have a quick question for you guys.

Can anyone give me some tips on how to beat elephants, as the Seleucids seem to march a stack of a few elephants to recapture Antioch. I don't think I've ever seen elephants in an AI army so far yet,so any help is welcome :wink:

econ21
04-24-2005, 13:50
The best thing with elephants is to target them with missiles - all archers should aim for them. You may not kill many, but they have low morale and will panic.

Also, you should entice the elephants to charge your peltasts. Set the peltasts on loose formation and the elephants should not be able to kill many initially. Moreover the peltasts skirmish so quickly, the elephants probably won't catch them until they are nearly at the map edge. This buys you enough time to kill the rest of the AI army and allow you to focus on the ellies when they return from killing the peltasts.

If you can make the elephants run away, they are much more vulnerable to being killed while being pursued. Light cavalry can do it and it is vital to keep pursuing them to stop them rallying. But don't send your general to pursue or fight elephants - they hit so hard, your general may well die.

If you have to, phalanxes are not too bad against elephants - just as they are good against cav. But relying on the above tactics is more efficient.

Good hunting!

Tricky Lady
04-24-2005, 14:30
Okay, sorry to spam this thread with my continuous questions, but I have another one.

Are we playing 10-years reigns, or do I go on until I have conquered X provinces?

PS. Faction leader just died two turns before I could transfer his retinues to the new faction heir :furious3:

EDIT: tnx for the tips on the elephant hunting.

econ21
04-24-2005, 14:57
Craterus and I played 10 year reigns. Orcarama is next, but maybe we can recycle players if no one else joins in?

Craterus
04-24-2005, 15:33
The best thing with elephants is to target them with missiles - all archers should aim for them. You may not kill many, but they have low morale and will panic.

Also, you should entice the elephants to charge your peltasts. Set the peltasts on loose formation and the elephants should not be able to kill many initially. Moreover the peltasts skirmish so quickly, the elephants probably won't catch them until they are nearly at the map edge. This buys you enough time to kill the rest of the AI army and allow you to focus on the ellies when they return from killing the peltasts.

If you can make the elephants run away, they are much more vulnerable to being killed while being pursued. Light cavalry can do it and it is vital to keep pursuing them to stop them rallying. But don't send your general to pursue or fight elephants - they hit so hard, your general may well die.

If you have to, phalanxes are not too bad against elephants - just as they are good against cav. But relying on the above tactics is more efficient.

Good hunting!

Use phalanxes vs. elephants. Playing as Egypt, S.E threw some elephants at me and I fended them off using a single unit of Nile Spearmen. 18 elephant casualties (all of them) vs. 3 spearmen casualties, it works a charm.

10 year reigns, but that's already been said, Good Luck Tricky Lady

Tricky Lady
04-24-2005, 19:32
The 10-year reign is over, and I have not seen the Seleucid elephants again: they were marching towards Antioch but one tile before crossing the river (coming from Hatra) they decided not to attack and returned home. (siege/reload bug). I didn't see them when sieging Hatra, so I suppose they've retreated to Seleucia. :smiley:

Craterus
04-24-2005, 19:51
Someone else will deal with them then :wink2: . Lucky them. What spearmen do Pontus have? Or do we have to recruit merc phalanxes?

Tricky Lady
04-24-2005, 19:56
Hi Craterus. Pontus starts with the really worthless Eastern Infantry as spearmen, but later on they can build the Phalanx Pikemen and Bronze Shield Pikemen (comparable to Macedon's pikemen), so their late units are rather decent.

Craterus
04-24-2005, 19:59
Oh yeah, I was pretty sure they had some decent spearmen somewhere up their tech tree.

DON'T anyone bother putting Eastern Infantry up against elephants. It is a waste of men, even if those men are a waste of space anyway.

Tricky Lady
04-25-2005, 18:49
DON'T anyone bother putting Eastern Infantry up against elephants. It is a waste of men, even if those men are a waste of space anyway.

I noticed that too when playing the Seleucids. Pontus and Armenia attacked with huge stacks of Eastern Infantry (up to 1500 men; large unit settings) and all I had to do was throwing some elephants at them, and they were gone. :grin:

Craterus
04-25-2005, 21:17
Lol, Eastern Infantry have to be the worst unit bar peasants.. I hate all Parthia and Armenia's infantry..

cunobelinus
04-28-2005, 10:44
were am i in this pbm am i last

Craterus
04-28-2005, 16:46
Yes, you are after orcorama.

econ21
05-02-2005, 15:37
OK, this is getting confusing. Let's close this thread and direct all Pontus PBM business to the Pontus PBM thread:

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=46548

Craterus
05-02-2005, 17:26
Agreed.