PDA

View Full Version : Will War Cry still be used by barbarian units?

unseen11
04-06-2005, 15:39
Just wondering if the Barbarian units will still have a way of frightening the enemy army before attacking in this mod

jerby
04-06-2005, 17:07
would be nice if they auto-warcry'ed when charging.
make it a good yell, a passionat one.
maybe even shout out a cry, like : VAE VICTUS, but then for the 'barbarians'

The Wizard
04-06-2005, 18:59
Actually, 'Vae victis', meaning 'Woe to the defeated', was uttered by a Gallic chief (Brennus, IIRC) at the sack of Rome. In RTW it's wrong Latin ('Vae victus' means 'Woe defeated'; it lacks a dativus to add 'to' to the translation), plus Livius (?) really didn't mean for it to be quoted as his own quote, even though he probably thought it up himself.

Anyways, on to the main question of this thread. I would think that 'barbarian' units would retain their warcry. That is, the Gauls, for the Germans could have never ambushed the Romans if they had had the loud warcries prior to engagements of the Gauls (and screaming when charging is something of all times, methinks).

~Wiz

DemonArchangel
04-06-2005, 19:43
The Celtic tribes at least should have a war cry. It's been described repeatedly.

soibean
04-07-2005, 01:38
They should have a war cry. In vanilla rtw it was said that the war cry increased their attacks... but I never noticed a difference. Can anyone explain this for me?

The Stranger
04-07-2005, 09:28
Actually, 'Vae victis', meaning 'Woe to the defeated', was uttered by a Gallic chief (Brennus, IIRC) at the sack of Rome. In RTW it's wrong Latin ('Vae victus' means 'Woe defeated'; it lacks a dativus to add 'to' to the translation), plus Livius (?) really didn't mean for it to be quoted as his own quote, even though he probably thought it up himself.

Anyways, on to the main question of this thread. I would think that 'barbarian' units would retain their warcry. That is, the Gauls, for the Germans could have never ambushed the Romans if they had had the loud warcries prior to engagements of the Gauls (and screaming when charging is something of all times, methinks).

~Wiz

i think we've a gymnast in our midst, well make that 2

The Wizard
04-07-2005, 15:49
... Don't tell me you attend the Erasmiaans Gymnasium as well ~:0

~Wiz

Sarcasm
04-08-2005, 00:08
Germans didn´t fight romans only through ambushes. You´re thinking of the Teutoberg massacre.

As far as vanilla gameplay goes, warcry does indeed augment your charge.

The Stranger
04-08-2005, 09:04
... Don't tell me you attend the Erasmiaans Gymnasium as well ~:0

~Wiz

no im from montessori lyceum, right next to you, i have been to your party in Night Town

jerby
04-08-2005, 16:12
I've tried it for 2 years, but dropped out. no more greek and latin for me. BUT is has given me interesest in this time period.

The Stranger
04-08-2005, 18:34
ha like me, i'll drop out after this year. well i'll stop translating txt's but i'll continue with the history and cultural side of the languages

The Wizard
04-08-2005, 21:53
no im from montessori lyceum, right next to you, i have been to your party in Night Town

Damn.. that party was only good 'cause I got to grab some serious ass... you do mean party last february or march somewhere, right? ~;)

Anyways, move on, we'll transplant this to msn/PM..

~Wiz ~D

tai4ji2x
04-09-2005, 00:12
just wondering: which attribute in the unit files gives a unit the warcry ability? i can't seem to find it in edu.txt

Lord Adherbal
04-09-2005, 11:12
all h2h infantry units of the "barbarian" factions automatically get Warcry

The Stranger
04-09-2005, 11:42
Damn.. that party was only good 'cause I got to grab some serious ass... you do mean party last february or march somewhere, right? ~;)

Anyways, move on, we'll transplant this to msn/PM..

~Wiz ~D
is oke, the party wasin march i thought.

Copperhaired Berserker!
04-24-2005, 22:58
warcrys are a bit glitchy, I had a warband who was meant to be warcrying to the emeny to the south but the warband were warcrying at a tree!"come on then you oak lets sort this out! mon then! ~D