PDA

View Full Version : unrest in barbarian factions

Skilfingr
04-07-2005, 11:05
I'm playing RTR with the germanic faction for while and now (around 200 BC), after I conquered all of Europe (except Rome, Sicily and 4 south italian Cities) and some provinces in North Africa and Asia minor, the unrest problem is becoming pain in the ass for me. For barbarian factions it's even worse than for the "civilized" factions for two reasons:
1. barbarians are limited to minor cities (which is ok for me), but that means you can never get rid of the culture penalty (30-40% unrest)
2. they can't build coliseum or hippodrome, so they can't hold games or races

the result is that cities with a population of 15000 - 20000 (depending on the distance to the capital) are constantly revolting. my unsatisfyingly solution: assault the revolting city and exterminate the populace - ten turns later it's the same.

one solution would be (if possible within the restrictions of RTW) to drop the distance from capital penalty for barbarian factions. barbarian nations were not strict organized and governed unlike the "civilized" nations. their settlements were more or less independent - there was no central government or a capital (at least for germanic peoples - not sure about the gauls or britons). so distance from capital should not matter for barbarian factions.
another possible solution is to reduce the squalor problem for "barbarian" cities. and a last one, reduce the culture penalty for barbarian factions. in migration period several germanic tribes established states in former roman provinces (Ostrogoths in Northern Italy, Visigoths in southern France and Spain, Franks in Belgium and northern France and so on), but for several reasons no large revolts of the roman population happened.

I hope at least one of the mentioned solutions to the unrest problem is possible within the game mechanics.

Divinus Arma
04-07-2005, 13:21
I think this a topic geared more for the colliseum and not the EB mod.

Sarcasm
04-07-2005, 23:54
I believe the "distance to capital" and "unrest after capture" are hard-coded and we cannot get rid of it.

khelvan
04-08-2005, 04:10
We recognize the problem caused by longer distances and the unrest penalty, and several things are being considered to counteract this, such as giving order bonuses for building roads.

Skilfingr
04-08-2005, 13:23
I believe the "distance to capital" and "unrest after capture" are hard-coded and we cannot get rid of it.

the "unrest after capture" is no problem, as it disappears a few turn later unlike the culture penalty. the better way for culture penalty would be, if it would disappear in time like "unrest after capture" (although in a much longer period of time - 25 - 50 years) to have some sort of assimilation. I think this is not possible in RTW unfortunately.

have you found another way for the assimilation (not through governmental buildings)?

We recognize the problem caused by longer distances and the unrest penalty, and several things are being considered to counteract this, such as giving order bonuses for building roads.

good to hear that you are dealing with this problem, but I think it's better if the High Kings Hall (or whatever you are using) had a public order bonus instead of roads to reflect the grade of independence of the cites from a central government. also, barbarian can only build roads, no paved roads or highways (please this change this anachronistic term) so they wouldn't get that much boni, apart from the conquered civilized cities that already have highways.

Sarcasm
04-08-2005, 15:20
Culture penalty is hard-coded as well, I think. It remains so long as there are another culture´s buildings in your city.

I´m not sure exactly what you mean about "assimilation"...if you´re refering to what I wrote above, then no. I think... ~:confused:

~;)

The barbarian building tree will turn out somewhat different. We´re discarding a lot of the old ones, and adding a few that should destroy some of the misconceptions about "barbarian" cultures. I think you will be pleased. ~:)

Turin
04-10-2005, 08:44
Simple solution to the problem is to destroy the buidlings that allow the population in former civilized cities to grow fast. This is quite realistic too once you think about it. I doubt the barbarians knew how to run a city plumbing system or keep public baths maintained.

Skilfingr
04-10-2005, 14:31
I´m not sure exactly what you mean about "assimilation"...if you´re refering to what I wrote above, then no. I think... ~:confused:

Do you know the borg ("We are the Borg. Resistance is futile. Prepare to be assimilated.") ~;)

The barbarian building tree will turn out somewhat different. We´re discarding a lot of the old ones, and adding a few that should destroy some of the misconceptions about "barbarian" cultures. I think you will be pleased. ~:)

I'm glad to hear that.

Simple solution to the problem is to destroy the buidlings that allow the population in former civilized cities to grow fast.

this may slow down the process, but not enough to be a acceptable solution.

Sarcasm
04-10-2005, 16:17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcasm
I´m not sure exactly what you mean about "assimilation"...if you´re refering to what I wrote above, then no. I think...

Do you know the borg ("We are the Borg. Resistance is futile. Prepare to be assimilated.")

Yeah, I know this quote but I was refering to this line in particular...

have you found another way for the assimilation (not through governmental buildings)?

If you are refering to messing with the programming, then I don´t so think so.

tai4ji2x
04-10-2005, 19:27
this may slow down the process, but not enough to be a acceptable solution.

right, especially since those buildings also confer public order bonuses

Skilfingr
04-11-2005, 09:06
I´m not sure exactly what you mean about ...

be patient with me, I know my english is sometimes very weird! ~:)

Yeah, I know this quote but I was refering to this line in particular...
[QOUTE=Skilfingr]

I was referring to this line:

The barbarian building tree will turn out somewhat different. We´re discarding a lot of the old ones, and adding a few that should destroy some of the misconceptions about "barbarian" cultures.

I meant:

Have you found a way to turn a (e.g.) roman large city into a barbarian settlement. in vanilla RTW it's impossible, because you can't upgrade the governmental building. now wanted to know, if I can with your new barbarian building tree. probably not as this aspect is hardcoded - I just want to know as I'm very curious.

jerby
04-11-2005, 14:57
about buildings like plumbing, it jumped itno my mind: will squalor be bettered. will farms still be squalor pits?
i might habe a idea, change the atributes for generals so that almost every gen gets a -1 squalor trait.

Sarcasm
04-11-2005, 15:23
I meant:

Have you found a way to turn a (e.g.) roman large city into a barbarian settlement. in vanilla RTW it's impossible, because you can't upgrade the governmental building. now wanted to know, if I can with your new barbarian building tree. probably not as this aspect is hardcoded - I just want to know as I'm very curious.
Well, It´s definitly possible, I can achive that by simple coding, I believe. What I don´t know is, if we want to move in that direction.

about buildings like plumbing, it jumped into my mind: will squalor be bettered. will farms still be squalor pits?
All bonuses and penalties are being changed in one way or another, but we definitely plan to combat squalor. As for farms, we have an entirely different approach than vanilla´s, to reflect cultural differences.

i might habe a idea, change the atributes for generals so that almost every gen gets a -1 squalor trait.
Considering that there are already a whole lot of provinces in vanilla, that we´re increasing their number even further and that general´s can´t be everywhere...this would be a poor solution.

jerby
04-11-2005, 19:33
it will definatly not be a sulation. but it will make it easier for the capitals

Skilfingr
04-12-2005, 11:50
Well, It´s definitly possible, I can achive that by simple coding, I believe.

I would be very happy, if you could tell me how. can I do it by simple editing text files? If so I will have a closer look at the text files in the DATA-directory

Abokasee
04-30-2005, 10:56
I Got The Perfect Solotion For That Unrest Problem:

Europa Barnarom Modders Lisen Up I Think There Should A New Building Fight Arnea (wicth Can Be Upgraded) And Works Smilmuler To A Collumsem And Removes Squlor Com Plenty (well Not Completly)

GoreBag
04-30-2005, 19:21
be patient with me, I know my english is sometimes very weird! ~:)

I was referring to this line:

I meant:

Well, did it ever really happen in real life? Backwards, I mean, not the Romans taking barbarian settlements and romanising them.

Have you tried nuking the Governor's building with a siege engine, or does that simply make the building have 100% damage?