PDA

View Full Version : Genetics, Aging, Family, and Health Mod v.0.9 Beta

Malrubius
04-09-2005, 08:40
Genetics, Aging, Family, and Health Mod v0.9.2 Beta builds on the Cherry Vanilla Pack v.1.2.2 and adds some more traits and triggers dealing with genetics, aging, the family, and health. This adds more depth and possibility to the game in these areas. This mod is still under development and is not yet feature complete.

GAFHMod is being released for open beta testing. Anyone interested in beginning a new campaign with the mod to test it out for gameplay and balance is welcome to download and install it. Please post any issues you encounter or email me (malrubius.maximus@gmail.com). Definitely contact me if the program crashes during play, with as much information as possible, specifically information like what happened just before it crashed, and a savegame file from just before the crash.

Download here (http://www.geocities.com/malrubius_eb/index.html)

To install:
1. Unzip into Rome - Total War directory (whatever you have named it or wherever your RTW game is installed). (Copy the file to your Rome - Total War directory, right-click on it, and select "Extract Here") This creates a directory named "GAFHMod092"
2. Open the GAFHMod092 folder
3. Run "BackupGAFH092.bat" to backup your original files
4. Run "Install GAFHMod092.bat" to install
5. Start up Rome:Total War and begin a new campaign (if you were already playing a campaign with version 0.9b or 0.91b, you do NOT need to start a new campaign. Since I added the new traits to the end, it should be compatible with your savegame.)

Philosophy
Looking over the vanilla traits and triggers, it seemed there was much more that could be done with them and inheritance of traits from parents. Also, I differed with the basic theory that seemed to underlie the inheritance of traits. The vanilla game figures that sons are more likely to be the opposite of their fathers, than similar to them. I think this is not true in reality, so this mod attempts to increase the realism of that, while still providing the option for sons to strike off on their own in an entirely different direction.

In the vanilla game, it seems like adopted sons and son-in-laws are the best to get, because born sons seem more likely to be incompetent. Also, it seems like a lot of the AI sons have no traits at all, which does not help them in challenging the player's dominance. I hope this mod will help correct these things and improve the enjoyment of players.

Features
1. New trait and antitrait for sons to take after their fathers or strike out on their own path. Most of the Coming of Age triggers have been reworked to incorporate these two new traits. Half of sons take after their fathers, and about 38% will be the opposite. The rest will lean neither one way or the other, and be more like the typical RTW family members. This system allows traits to be passed from one generation to the next, and so on, down the line.

2. New Trait for generals to track their age and apply bonuses or negatives based on it, such as increased hit points for youths, and decreased for older generals. A similar trait exists for spies, assassins, and diplomats.

3. More Traits for wives to bring their genetic input into the game:
Healthy Wife - increases fertility and makes sons more likely to be healthy
Sickly Wife - decreases fertility and makes sons less likely to be healthy
Intelligent Wife - increases possibility of intelligent sons; may teach her husband a thing or two
Ignorant Wife - decreases possibility of intelligent sons; may increase her husband's ignorance.

4. More Health-related traits
Lame - This man's battle wounds have left him lame in one leg.
Lame from Birth - This man was born lame and he must struggle with this.
FreeBleeder - This man has trouble staunching his wounds.

5. More Ancillaries
Leech - To keep the four humours in proper balance.
Noble Steed - An inspiring mount
Disgruntled Insider - new ancillary for spies and assassins
Concubine - Why stop at just one wife?
Imaginary Friend - to accompany your crazy nephew
Blind Prophet - to foretell your coming

More details in the GAFHMod ReadMe.txt file... (http://www.geocities.com/malrubius_eb/GAFHReadMe.txt)

4 August, 2005: News and Changes
This version fixes 3 bugs discovered by player1, where getting a point in an AntiTrait can completely remove the trait, no matter how high a level it had reached, CharacterMarries not working, and CharacterComesOfAge not working for ancillaries. It also tweaks a few triggers and renames the Disgruntled Insider to Accomplice (not such a modern name). It is compatible with savegames from version 0.9b. See here (http://www.geocities.com/malrubius_eb/news.html) for details.

Details here (News and Changes) (http://www.geocities.com/malrubius_eb/news.html)

Download here (GAFHMod Main Page) (http://www.geocities.com/malrubius_eb/index.html)

12 June, 2005: News and Changes
Changes include fixed and/or modified triggers for Priest of Baal, Heroic Savior, Shieldbearer, Disgruntled Insider, Blind Prophet, and Imaginary Friend ancillaries, as well as better chance of getting one of the wife traits when marrying (HealthyWife, SicklyWife, IntelligentWife, IgnorantWife). Version 0.9.1b is compatible with savegames from Version 0.9b, so download, install, and enjoy!

TheJian
05-09-2005, 05:19
Hello i think i wil love thismob but i would like to know if youthink it will work with SPQR Total War Mod i just started playing this mod............Very good work man....This is the kind of mod i like adding more depth and possibility to the game is what all mods should do IMO.....

metatron
05-10-2005, 03:40
Definately nice. Good work man.

Malrubius
05-10-2005, 05:19
Yes, it should work fine with SPQR. Install SPQR first, then install this mod.
If RTW is running, you will have to shut it down and restart it for the changes to take effect. There shouldn't be any problems if you reload a saved game, since I added all the changes at the end of the CVP (which is what SPQR uses for its traits system).

Thanks for trying it out! Let me know if you run into any problems with it.

I don't think it is compatible with RTR, because RTR has its own version of the traits system.

-Abbey.keeper-
05-15-2005, 11:25
Hi Malrubius,
i'm currently playing SPQRTW with your mod and i'd like to thank you for your work, keep it up. (",)

however, i've noticed that when a character gets the same senate office twice or more, the effect gets cancelled out, i.e. not only there's no (watever) trait, not even "ex-watever", as if the character had never taken up the office. is it a vanilla bug?

my campaign is now close to it's 100th year and i haven't seen any of the wife traits (not that i've ever seen it in vanilla either =>). could it happen more frequently? just wondering...

thanks for bring the VnV system closer to what it should have been.
cheers

Malrubius
05-15-2005, 17:44
Thanks for pointing this out, that's what this beta version is for! :)

The problem with the Senate offices was in vanilla, and carried over from the CVP version I used. It's been corrected in the CVP 1.2.2, but I haven't yet updated the GAFHMod with the corrections.

For the wife traits, I copied the percentage chance for the vanilla wife traits, like well-connected wife, but I should probably boost my wifely traits in the final version, since those should be more common.

Simetrical
05-15-2005, 20:45
GAFH should work fine with RTR. We've barely touched the traits system for 5.x. 6.0, now, that'll be a different story.

-Simetrical

Malrubius
05-16-2005, 17:23
Ok, that's good to know. I wasn't sure. However, installing GAFHMod will replace any RTR-specific modifications to the traits and ancillaries, since it completely replaces those files. And, until I update GAFHMod with the latest CVP (1.2.2), it will also wipe out the fixes to the Senate re-election and BadConspirator that are in CVP 1.2.2.

-Abbey.keeper-
05-17-2005, 13:25
Thanks for pointing this out, that's what this beta version is for! :)

glad to be of service. ~:)

For the wife traits, I copied the percentage chance for the vanilla wife traits, like well-connected wife, but I should probably boost my wifely traits in the final version, since those should be more common.

yeah, you might consider that, because i've played the game for about a year now and i've NEVER seen any of the wife traits, on vanilla or mods.

meanwhile i'd like to highlight to you on some other features of the mod.

"Disgrunted insider" appeared on almost all my spies and assasins while none of the other listed ancillaries had appeared on my roman characters (although i'd rather have them anyday than an "imaginary friend" ~:) )

i've seen "lame from birth" on 1 character in my campaign of 100 years so i'd say it's quite nicely balanced. good job!

i've had commanders getting "inf genius" after around 3 inf army battles so maybe that could be nerfed? i'd give you a report on the family tree if you need genetics link. (SPQR discourages roman cav so i couldn't be sure of horsemen)

hope i'm helping.

cheers.

Malrubius
05-18-2005, 17:50
yeah, you might consider that, because i've played the game for about a year now and i've NEVER seen any of the wife traits, on vanilla or mods.

They may all need adjusting, then, especially for some of the new triggers I'm working on.

"Disgrunted insider" appeared on almost all my spies and assasins while none of the other listed ancillaries had appeared on my roman characters (although i'd rather have them anyday than an "imaginary friend" ~:) )

The chance on that sounds too high, then. It's currently a 5% chance whenever the agent is in enemy lands.

i've seen "lame from birth" on 1 character in my campaign of 100 years so i'd say it's quite nicely balanced. good job!

Was it one of your characters, or the AI's? How did it affect him?

i've had commanders getting "inf genius" after around 3 inf army battles so maybe that could be nerfed? i'd give you a report on the family tree if you need genetics link. (SPQR discourages roman cav so i couldn't be sure of horsemen)

I didn't make any changes to this. The GoodInfantryGeneral trait is acquired through crushing victories with more than 80% infantry commanded by the general. The Cherry Vanilla Pack actually nerfed it a bit, although it should take 3 crushing victories to reach the first level, "Skilled Infantry Commander", and 3 more for the "Genius" level. There is a slight random chance to get it at the general's Coming of Age, but you'd see the first level immediately.

hope i'm helping.

cheers.
Yes, all the feedback is welcome and helps me make it better. Thanks, everyone! ~:cheers:

Mad_Cat
05-18-2005, 23:37
Hey, the only mod I got is the Mundus magnus map, will it work with that???

Malrubius
05-19-2005, 00:56
Yes, it will work with no problems with any mod that does not involve modifying traits or ancillaries. If a mod does modify traits or ancillaries, this mod will overwrite those modifications when you install it.

-Abbey.keeper-
05-19-2005, 10:15
The chance on that sounds too high, then. It's currently a 5% chance whenever the agent is in enemy lands.

i wasn't joking about it. almost every single one of my spies got the disgrunted insider, even those surplus ones i've left as counter spies in my own cities. usually withing the first few turns.

Was it one of your characters, or the AI's? How did it affect him?

that character was mine and it worked as far as movement penalties goes. i sent him into battle twice and he still survives the charges like any general does, so i'm not sure about the hp effect. i've not noticed it on any AI general
yet. want me to test how he would survive a direct charge to the enemy and for how long?

I didn't make any changes to this. The GoodInfantryGeneral trait is acquired through crushing victories with more than 80% infantry commanded by the general. The Cherry Vanilla Pack actually nerfed it a bit, although it should take 3 crushing victories to reach the first level, "Skilled Infantry Commander", and 3 more for the "Genius" level. There is a slight random chance to get it at the general's Coming of Age, but you'd see the first level immediately.

i wasn't joking about this either. i like to place generals on bridge crossings for their training and since SPQR designed the gauls to send stacks of troops, my generals had plenty of training. i had one instance where i had a general attaining "the infantrymen" in 1 turn after 3 stacks throw themselves at him in a single turn. the said general had "military genius" trait on him when he came of age though.

cheers

Malrubius
05-20-2005, 16:10
The InEnemyLands identifier may not be working properly, if you were getting them in your home settlements. I'll have to try something else.

For the Lame From Birth trait, there's a movement negative and a hitpoint negative, but a normal general has 7hp. A general would need the Hypochondriac trait at a high level, as well as Lame from Birth, before you'd really see a difference. Those generals would have only 3 hitpoints. In testing, I reduced generals to 1 hitpoint, and they died very quickly in battle, before even their bodyguards.

Malrubius
06-12-2005, 04:34
Updated download link in initial post. Download here. (http://www.geocities.com/malrubius_eb/GAFHMod.zip)

vale
06-12-2005, 05:02
I got version 1.1 does it work with that? cause to use the cheat enabler i can only patch my rtw to this level.

Malrubius
06-12-2005, 11:15
Yes, it should work with 1.0, 1.1, and 1.2 versions of Rome:Total War

Malrubius
06-12-2005, 14:41
I've released GAFHMod version 0.9.1b. Read about the changes here (News and Changes). (http://www.geocities.com/malrubius_eb/news.html)

Download it and read installation instructions here (Main page) (http://www.geocities.com/malrubius_eb/index.html)

Changes include fixed and/or modified triggers for Priest of Baal, Heroic Savior, Shieldbearer, Disgruntled Insider, Blind Prophet, and Imaginary Friend ancillaries, as well as better chance of getting one of the wife traits when marrying (HealthyWife, SicklyWife, IntelligentWife, IgnorantWife).

Saved games from version 0.9b should still work, since I didn't modify any of the traits or ancillaries, just the triggers. So all you have to do is download, install, and enjoy! If this is your first time to download GAFHMod, you'll need to begin a new campaign to prevent any weird things from happening to your old characters' traits.

Faenaris
06-19-2005, 12:03
Will your mod work with RTR 6.0? Do you intend to make it compatible.

If so, yay! Fantastic mod either way. :)

Malrubius
06-19-2005, 12:30
Will your mod work with RTR 6.0? Do you intend to make it compatible.

If so, yay! Fantastic mod either way. :)

I think Simetrical answered this question. Although nowonmai removed him from the team, I believe they are still going to have an RTR-specific version of traits for 6.0. If so, you would either have to use the RTR traits system or GAFHMod:

GAFH should work fine with RTR. We've barely touched the traits system for 5.x. 6.0, now, that'll be a different story.

-Simetrical

Faenaris
06-20-2005, 10:06
I think Simetrical answered this question. Although nowonmai removed him from the team, I believe they are still going to have an RTR-specific version of traits for 6.0. If so, you would either have to use the RTR traits system or GAFHMod:

Okay, thanks for the reply. I'll see if your mod works with RTR 6.0. Keep up the good work!

Malrubius
08-03-2005, 08:48
Ok, it looks like the GAFHMod is not compatible with RTR 6.0. I'll try to get it compatible, so stay tuned for further updates.

Malrubius
08-04-2005, 14:40
I've released GAFHMod version 0.9.2b. Read about the changes here (News and Changes). (http://www.geocities.com/malrubius_eb/news.html)

Download it and read installation instructions here (Main page) (http://www.geocities.com/malrubius_eb/index.html)

This version fixes 3 bugs discovered by player1, where getting a point in an AntiTrait can completely remove the trait, no matter how high a level it had reached, CharacterMarries not working, and CharacterComesOfAge not working for ancillaries. It also tweaks a few triggers and renames the Disgruntled Insider to Accomplice (not such a modern name).

Saved games from version 0.9b and 0.91b should still work, since I didn't modify any of the traits or ancillaries, just the triggers. So all you have to do is download, install, and enjoy! If this is your first time to download GAFHMod, you'll need to begin a new campaign to prevent any weird things from happening to your old characters' traits.

It is NOT compatible with RTR 6.0 (although it should be with RTR 5.4.1). There are over 2,000 differences between RTR's traits and ancillaries and the CVP traits and original ancillary files (the basis for the GAFHMod). None of them are documented as to whether they are important or minor, so it would be difficult to make a version of the GAFHMod for RTR 6.0. However, if there is enough interest in doing this, I will make the changes (so tell me if you want to see this done). If someone else wants to do the conversion, I give you my blessing ~D . Just let me know so we don't have any duplication of effort.

[edited 10 Sep]
I know of at least two people working on modifying this mod for RTR. I don't know what the current progress is at this time.

Divinus Arma
09-11-2005, 06:51
I would ask for the RTR6 GAFH mod, but I would rather just wait for EB. I can't wait to play that with your new RPG style trait system. ~:cheers:

Malrubius
09-22-2005, 10:53
The 6.1 patch for Rome:Total Realism includes the GAFHMod traits system. ~D

Malrubius
10-15-2005, 03:23
GAFHMod 0.9.3 beta version is released (http://www.geocities.com/malrubius_eb/index.html). This version fixes a potential CTD with the 'Hobbled' level of the Lame trait.

The next version should be released shortly, for compatibility with the RTW 1.3 patch.

Malrubius
10-15-2005, 03:44
GAFHMod 0.94 for Rome:Total War 1.3 patch ONLY (http://www.geocities.com/malrubius_eb/rtw13.html) has been released. The main change from 0.93 to 0.94 is the changing of effects to match those of RTW 1.3.

Do NOT download this mod if you haven't installed the 1.3 patch.

If you haven't installed that patch, see this post instead: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showpost.php?p=956024&postcount=26