PDA

View Full Version : EB NEWS - Friday, April 15

Urnamma
04-15-2005, 17:29
EB news - Friday, April 15th

Greetings, Europa Barbarorum fans!

I'm giving you this news post because Khelvan is taking a well deserved vacation for the weekend. Everyone wish him a good time!

This week has been a momentous one for EB. We've begun (and nearly finished) compiling what we hope to be our last internal version! The latest version includes most of our concepts and nearly 95 new units. We hope to bring that number up to 200+ (nearly half our units) before we send it off as an open beta!

Since we've come very close to completing this, I've a present for all of you. More screenshots!

http://img126.exs.cx/img126/2605/malagaeroasgaulcopy8bu.jpg

Aymar du Bois Mauri is busy integrating units and making some info pics as part of this proces. Here is the Mala Gaeroas! Prometheus did a wonderful job on the unit as well.

http://img54.exs.cx/img54/3381/hammer6kl.jpg

Spartan_Warrior has been taking a bit of time off to do some celts, like the Goidilic hammer troops, shown here. Ranika has been working overtime researching these wonderful units!

http://img70.exs.cx/img70/5518/gaul2ki.jpg

Another unit of the Goidils, the spearmen! Also by Spartan_Warrior!

http://img228.echo.cx/my.php?image=gorganscreen21zk.jpg

As you can see, the Britons have been getting a lot of attention as of late. Our new unique buildings are really taking off, thanks to the man who has been doing all the work on them, Teleklos Archelaou!

Here is the new Briton faction symbol, done by Parmenio!

http://img149.exs.cx/img149/388/britons6aw.jpg

I'll showcase some of my own work next, in the unit descriptions for some Hellenic units:

Ekdromoi Hoplitai:

Descriptions => Ekdromoi (Outrunner) Hoplites are a special version of the Hoplite soldier. They fight without armor and heavy equipment in order to be fast enough to catch and kill skirmishers and especially peltasts, who were the bane of the heavily armored Hoplite. Their short spears carry a nasty punch for the usually lightly armed skirmisher and are able to outrange the better armored Peltast. They carry large shields in order to make up for some of this disparity, but they are not a type of soldier meant to do prolonged melee combat with standard Hoplites. Their light weight leather armor is soft and layered with bronze plates and cloth in order to retard the missiles of the troops that they would likely be fighting. (Greek ‘brigandine’ armor) Their purpose is to serve as a professional light infantry that can neutralize the effect of missiles on the heavy infantry. The combination of light armor and speed makes this infantry a great counter to pesky missile troops. They are not particularly useful against heavier infantry or even equivalent light infantry, due to their specialized nature.

Historically, these hoplites evolved almost overnight in response to large scale use of Peltasts by Thebes and Athens after the reforms of Iphikrates. Their armor evolved as well over the years. They were originally armored with linen, but this was changed due to the fact that the linothorax was vulnerable to missile fire. The layered leather was developed after a period of trial and error and functions much like modern tank armor does against projectiles. It intersperses hard and soft layers to dissipate the effect of missile weapons. This armor, while exceedingly useful against missiles, is only marginally effective against most melee weapons, due to its lightness and the concentrated force of the arm behind the melee weapon. Once the initial force of a missile weapon is dissipated it falls away harmlessly, once the initial force of a melee weapon is dissipated its user pushes harder!

Thureophoroi:

Description => Theurophoroi were a new class of Hellenic infantry that was designed to both augment the phalanx and provide a type of soldier in between the Phalangite and the Peltast that was able to skirmish and fight in melee. They are an extremely mobile force that can hit hard with their heavy javelins then rush in to flank pike units. They are well armed and armored for the task, having stout bronze helms, linen armor, an almond shaped theuros shield, heavy javelins, and a stout spear. They are highly versatile infantry, akin in spirit to the legionaries of Rome. They are usually Pezhetairoi, middle class property owners with voting rights. As such, they are well able to devote time to training and practice. They have good morale and are highly disciplined. They were often described by Latin writers as copies of the legion. It is debatable whether they were developed with knowledge of warfare in Italy or not, they are a highly effective force of heavy infantry that is in the forefront of Hellenic military know-how.

Historically, Theurophoroi were used as harassing and flanking troops by the successor states. There seemed to be a lot of confusion as to how to utilize these new soldiers, since they were deadly in the extreme to the less mobile phalanx units. Most of the successor states used them conservatively, except for the Seleucids, who took to these new soldiers quite well. The city-states of Greece used them even more frequently against the armies of Macedon, and were often able to hold the more powerful kingdom at bay. Still, their uses were limited in scope and not as widespread as their versatile and deadly role would have indicated. This is the fault of period commanders, however, and any more astute or innovative commander might have realized their potential in conjunction with the more static Phalanx.

And a pic of the Ekdromoi, just for shits and giggles:

http://i137.exs.cx/img137/9394/12rf.jpg

Brought to you by Spartan_Warrior!

Hope you enjoyed the post!

Next week we'll begin our 'Countdown to the Open Beta', where we will begin showing off our factions with full sets of units and descriptions. The Ptolemies are up first!

As always, if you have questions or comments, the best place to post them would be here:

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=70

Or here:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/index.php?showforum=60

We give special thanks to http://www.imageshack.us who provide us with a simple, foolproof, and free way to show you all these pictures each week.

Have a wonderful day!

Sincerely,

-the EB team

Dooz
04-15-2005, 18:15
...the Goidilic hammer troops.... left my mouth open... literally... that's never happened before... my sweet lord...

Big_John
04-15-2005, 19:18
yay, i've always been fond of hammers. you guys got this out early today.. maybe urnamma should take over the news posts from khelvan from now on. ~;)

love that unique building too.

edit: hey urnamma did you mean to use the "url" tag instead of the "img" tag on the unique building image? also, the twcenter post doesn't have that image or link at all (where it should be is text reading, "user posted image"). just fyi.

TheTank
04-15-2005, 19:34
Wow... those irish celts look really cool but also the new hellenic unit are very good and they don't look gay ~;)

PS: The Mala Gaeroas new shield looks even better than the old one !!

The Stranger
04-15-2005, 19:46
:eek: is the only thing i can say

Colovion
04-15-2005, 20:44
I had no idea that that wall even existed! This is what I like to see.

:drool:

Crazed Rabbit
04-15-2005, 21:05
Looking very good, indeed.

Crazed Rabbit

jerby
04-15-2005, 21:20
wall?

well the units look great, i've been a heavy thureophoroi user in RTR, I'm already drouling with the idea of seleucids using them. thureophoroi will perhaps even make archers useless.. (lets hope)

Urnamma
04-15-2005, 21:57
Thureophoroi themselves are actually a heavy infantry, so you may find yourself using them a lot more in EB. ~:cool:

Sheep
04-15-2005, 22:01
I had no idea that that wall even existed! This is what I like to see.

Me either! There is a giant wall somewhere that nobody ever told me about? Sheesh. Consider my mind blown.

Brilliant work on everything today guys, but I especially liked the unit descriptions. I drool over screenshots like everyone else, but I do appreciate getting to learn a little bit more than the usual one sentence about the units.

I HOPE you don't mind a little grammatical nitpicking (especially from someone with less-than-perfect grammar himself) but I think this:

"Once the initial force of a missile weapon is dissipated it falls away harmlessly, once the initial force of a melee weapon is dissipated its user pushes harder!"

...should maybe read something like:

"Once the initial force of a missile weapon is dissipated, it falls away harmlessly; once the initial force of a melee weapon is dissipated, its user pushes harder!"

Or something like that, to break up the text a little and make it sound more like someone would say it. Too bad you can't put italics in there.

So I guess this means you're not going to translate all the unit descriptions into their native language too? ~D

Urnamma
04-15-2005, 22:13
Very good (although more pics would've been nice )

Sure. :cool

http://img54.exs.cx/img54/8356/hammer14is.jpg

http://img70.exs.cx/img70/3427/briton8rp.jpg

http://img104.exs.cx/img104/8753/000009po.jpg

I'll leave you to figure out what they are.

Simetrical
04-15-2005, 22:40
Those warhammers look pretty awesome.

-Simetrical

Drake22
04-16-2005, 03:41
those bottem guys look like some sort of macedonian pike phalenyx (however its spelled)

runes
04-16-2005, 06:47
i'm curious as to the accuracy of a dedicated unit of hammer-wielders, yea we all know you guys have this nailed for accuracy, but it seems fairly fairytale to me. fill me in!

Sheep
04-16-2005, 07:31
i'm curious as to the accuracy of a dedicated unit of hammer-wielders, yea we all know you guys have this nailed for accuracy, but it seems fairly fairytale to me. fill me in!

See here (first post):

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=46101&page=2&pp=30

runes
04-16-2005, 07:35
interesting, but i'm still curious as to the historical relevancy.

i'm assuming more license is taken on some of the other factions, as less is know about them.

but what can you tell me about actual hammer-wielders as a unit?

Idomeneas
04-16-2005, 07:48
Great work as always. I see you have Boiotian helmets, wich is basically a cavalry helmet, for ekdromoi. Why is that? maybe a thracian or attic helmet type would be more proper. After all they were just hoplites stripped of body armour.

Oh! and what about spartans? could you show us some pics of them? Im really looking forward to see them ~;)

AntiochusIII
04-16-2005, 07:55
Wow, I see that the empires of Persia are more similar to the Chinese empires than I thought.

Fill me in about the forgotten great wall of Persia with a link, please?

Thanks.

Nice units, by the way, and neat descriptions.

Birka Viking
04-16-2005, 12:50
wow great job again EB. Can´t wait to play the open beta..

Ranika
04-16-2005, 13:14
Goidils used hammers in many forms, mostly as a religious type of weapon. The highest Goidilic god was Dagda ('Good God'), and he used a large hammer, so, some more fanatical warriors imitated him. They'll be small units (amassing fanatics isn't exactly easy), with a highly specialized purpose. A large hammer is a relatively poor weapon; large and slow. But it'd smash shields and armor. Later Gaels still used hammers. The hammers were probably also used in constructing camps and what not (a large hammer is pretty handy for pounding pikes into the earth), and had a pick on the back for killing lame horses (and potentially could be used to kill horses in battle). Some older versions of Celtic stories, before they were Anglicized, feature numerous champions wielding large hammers, including Cu Chullain in some versions. While those legends are myth, one also has to keep in mind, Celtic legends are pretty much universally based on actual events; even weapons had real life counterparts. Their gods, even, are based on actual people (that's probably why they had so many war gods, they were fond of combat heroes, so a good champion could quickly become a local god in only a few decades after his death).

Later on, Dal Riatans used the hammers (they were actually used mostly by the grouping of Goidilic clans in Ireland that generally used such hammers; those clans eventually settled Dal Riata). They were more practical then though, a bit lighter, and usually used by more elite soldiers or nobility, to kill other nobility, due to their heavier armors. The Irish Gaels still used hammers, but only smaller, single-handed hammers, in addition to numerous other types of clubs, cudgels, and maces, though the hammer was definitely preferred, as it doubled as an effective tool for establishing defenses. This was, likely, also a factor in iron age Goidilic warhammers; they were effective tools, and they'd smash something's head open, regardless of armor.

Divinus Arma
04-16-2005, 13:44
Would units with hammers be of a large size? If their primary purpose is to kill heavy infantry, why not shrink them down to 1/2 or 1/4 unit size? (kind of like beserkers in Viking Invasion)

It seems that a unit of speedy, light armed, hammer swingin fellas would be small in order to suit their purpose of specialized support.

Besides, was there really armies of hammer swingin bubbas? or was it more of an integrated thing, with hammers being used by various individuals here and there but in small numbers?

Jus' kurius.

Looks good EB. Can't wait for the beta.

Divinus Arma
04-16-2005, 13:46
They'll be small units (amassing fanatics isn't exactly easy), with a highly specialized purpose.

Ya. That too.

Ranika
04-16-2005, 13:51
I don't quite understand. I thought I'd already answered that. Or did your second reply imply that I had answered that? My English can be a bit poor sometimes. They wouldn't be 'integrated' into another unit of men, at least, not dispersed through them. Celts usually arranged their men into 'blocks' of weapon types (skirmishers in a block, spearmen in a block, etc.). These men, as small in number as they are, probably would be a single line at a forefront, to absorb the blow of heavier infantry, or to make a first move toward heavier stuff. They will be sufficiently small in number (probably no more than 20 men at most, maybe less, 16 perhaps).

However, if they were using a smaller, easier to attain hammer, the unit would likely be of normal size, but the need for lighter infantry is already filled in that regional area, and the model is being shared with some other stuff anyway, so we figured, even if they were tiny in number, the model is already there, and the unit space is available, so it's an interesting regional.

Big_John
04-16-2005, 14:44
cool, nice info ranika. but i have a question now (yes, it's my turn!!):

where the hammer heads actually that large? that seems crazy big! i'm familiar with medieval war hammers, and the heads on those are 1/2 the size of the goidilic ones, at most. from what i understand, sledgehammer sized heads like that would be terrifically unwieldy. what would the time be on a recovering swing? the size of the blunt face seem odd too, i mean for a war hammer. wouldn't it make more sense to have a smaller face to provide more pressure on the blow? does that have something to do with not being a dedicated war hammer (i.e. used in camp construction etc.)

also, on a wooden haft, it seems like such a heavy head would snap off pretty easily without reinforcing langets. ok, thx in advance! :book:

Ranika
04-16-2005, 14:54
Actually, I can't really say how accurate they look, aside from shape. I've not actually seen them in game myself, and while I can get an idea from screens, it's kind of hard for me to get accurate perspective. They weren't that large of heads, but definitely larger than later battle hammers, because they were needed for construction. The recovery time WOULD be very slow though, and they would be dreadfully unwieldy. Lighter armed and armored soldiers would be greatly advantaged against them. In fact, pretty much anyone would be, except those who's main strength would lay in heavy armor and shields. I think some of the size may just be perspective, but without having tested them myself (my own PC is a bit on the fritz, been borrowing a laptop) and compared them with other weapons and the like in game, it's a bit tough to give definite answers.

jerby
04-16-2005, 20:40
im interested abotu teh dieing animation. how does one die of a hammer blow? where will the hammer hit the opponent?

Ranika
04-16-2005, 20:50
I don't quite understand how you mean, at the time, I believe it's using the two-handed axe animations, and I'm pretty sure everyone dies the same way regardless of the weapon they're struck with (with the exceptions of being thrown and burning, but even burning uses the same animation, I think). If you mean, simply, how does a hammer kill some one, being struck by what is essentially a sledgehammer, regardless of where, will almost surely remove you from the fight. If you die or not is of little relevancy, you WILL be incapable of fighting, and that's really all one needs to care about, is incapacitation. However, the weight of the head, and the velocity of the swing, if it struck you on the head, would utterly smash your skull, and if on the torso, would crush your bones inward, causing massive internal bleeding, or essentially explode some internal organs if it hits a soft spot. There is little chance of surviving a direct hit to the torso, and even if you did, you would surely collapse and be incapable of continuing to fight. If it struck a leg or arm, chances are it'd either break it, or tear it off your body if the angle and speed of the swing is right. You could potentially still fight with a broken limb, but it is unlikely most would. It would be nice if the animations could accomodate such gore, but I think some would complain, and I doubt it's possible anyway. Would be realistic though.

Divinus Arma
04-16-2005, 22:25
I think you answered my question. I didn't realize you working on the mod.

So they will be far smaller in unit size... you mention 16 or 20, this is with what unit size for the rest of the army? That 16 or 20 isn't small if one is playing on "small" unit size. The oposite would be true on "huge" setting.

Ranika
04-16-2005, 23:04
That would be the size entered into the files, and thereby adjusted depending upon the size of armies selected by a player.

Legionario
04-18-2005, 17:31
Nice ones,I see with much joy that you used part of my CAS for the cloak and that it's still...clipped (the texture) funny 'cause when i did that, I was criticized about the blurring of the cloak texture.... ~;)
Well..times change... ~;)
And thanks for the showup you made at TWC,you managed to close my topic,
and now you do what you condemned...you stole parts of my work..very cool.... ~;) ~:cool:

Ranika
04-18-2005, 18:12
Actually, the cloak there was made from scratch by SW; everything about the model was from scratch. The texture isn't blurred, it looks proper, because he made the cloak correctly. You did not, and you refused to fix it, and complained endlessly when criticized that making it look appropriate was 'impossible'. So, your model was scratched entirely, and SW made this new model himself. The cloak here is actually just modified from a vanilla cloak. It is obviously not the same cloak you made, and, the argument of 'thieving' from you has already been settled. When you agreed to work with EB, your work became part of the project, and the project maintains right to use it, that was part of the agreement. However, it was I who insisted to not use anything you produced, and we have not, despite being allowed to (as much as you wish to complain). I had it all done from scratch, and now you're just barking at the dark because your work was not up to scale, and you refused to fix it, and couldn't take criticism, which was delivered quite politely. If all you have to do is complain (without purpose, no less), it would be obliged if you did so else where.

http://img206.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img206&image=laechiberian4af.jpg Here's a shot of the cloak you produced. Clearly not the one we used. I believe, given the quality of work we expect, it is understandable why this was unacceptable. We tried to work around that, it was your inability to take criticisms that led to the end of your work with us, and I will not have you blindly accusing us just because you're bitter.

khelvan
04-18-2005, 18:25
Legionario; You cannot claim ownership of this work - it was made from scratch; compare the two pictures Ranika posted, for shape and quality. Regardless, it was clearly stated, while you were a member of EB, that all EB work is collaborative, and if you leave (which you did) the work will still be used within EB. We have chosen to go a different direction, but as you well knew this is our policy.

If this thread devolves into namecalling or a finger-pointing match, it will be closed.

Aymar de Bois Mauri
04-18-2005, 18:43
Nice ones,I see with much joy that you used part of my CAS for the cloak and that it's still...clipped (the texture) funny 'cause when i did that, I was criticized about the blurring of the cloak texture.... ~;)
Well..times change... ~;)
And thanks for the showup you made at TWC,you managed to close my topic,
and now you do what you condemned...you stole parts of my work..very cool.... ~;) ~:cool:ROTFL :laugh4:

Your ego is so great that you do not understand that your 3d model was never used? That Spartan_Warrior made this from scratch? Seems you're not perceptive enough to understand that every cloack in 3d models gets clipped in some positions? And that to get a similar shape the solutions to the problem are similar? This regarding texture or model? Or are you unware of such obvious feature?

And finally, with guys like PROMETHEUS, Spartan_Warrior, Agart, alin, WEIRDSHADY, etc... why would we need your work? After you left, the punny amount of work you did was just ditched... :rolleyes:

Pycckuu
04-19-2005, 02:37
Reeeeejected!

Nice looking models, by the way :bow:

jerby
04-19-2005, 15:01
sorry for the typ-os, nobody could read it. what i meant was: if you die from a stab you crumble up and lie down like soccer players. if you get slashed you lay random. how does ones body react to a hammer blow? it woudl suck if the unit gets beaten on the head and it crumbles up as if he was stabbed etc...
in bigger persepective: will many animation be changed? dieing? reloading? stabbing/slashing/hacking?

GoreBag
04-21-2005, 15:50
Man, I'm itching for this countdown. Will it start Friday, or earlier? I can't handle simply waiting any longer.

khelvan
04-21-2005, 18:26
Man, I'm itching for this countdown. Will it start Friday, or earlier? I can't handle simply waiting any longer.Today is Thursday...
Guess ~;)

Dooz
04-21-2005, 18:39
That is a very vague hint. This will not do. I demand another preview! :whip:

No 17
04-22-2005, 11:28
Hi I just found this Mod recently, man it looks reall cool.
You guys are doing a real good job cant wait to play.

Just one question what barbarian factions are you guys using, are they just the ones from rome or are there going to be new ones and if there is new ones will the Irish be included?

Great Mod............ ~:)

GoreBag
04-22-2005, 14:59
Check out the "Lost Art of Keeping a Secret" thread. All the information on the game currently released is there.

hannibal_barca
04-23-2005, 00:02
Aren't we due a EB News post ~;) :sneaky: :tongue: today?

Sheep
04-23-2005, 00:20
Check out the "Lost Art of Keeping a Secret" thread. All the information on the game currently released is there.

We try, but a word of warning: there may be some misinformation on that thread. In fact, there definitely is. Not very much has been confirmed. It is kind of there to give you a little bit of a preview, not as an actual news post... a rough sketch, not a portrait.