PDA

View Full Version : Mod Idea Animal: Total War?

GaugamelaTC
04-17-2005, 17:50
Animal:Total War

Factions:
Hooved animals

The Alliance of Bugs, Insects and Arachnids

Large Land Animals

Birds

Feline and Canine Alliance

Bears

Rodents

Apes

Farmers and their animals

Reptiles and Amphibians

Crustacean and Amphibious mammals coalition(possibly)

Fish people (possibly)

BAD
04-17-2005, 17:58
Hehehehe sounds funny as owt. And for ships use Whales, sharks, dolphins, etc. It's got my vote but would a modder take it up? ~:confused:

GaugamelaTC
04-17-2005, 18:41
Unit List (with thanks to ginger and faceless hoplite for their ideas!)
Hooved Animals:
Light Cavalry
Cataphracts
Reindeer
Reindeer Chariots(or sleighs but I don't think it's possible)
Nubian Zebra riders
Large Buffalo(Based on the small elephants model, they can chuck men into the air etc)
Giraffe Archers
Llama Clubmen
Icendiary Warthogs
Warthog riders
Horse Whisperers(Elite infantry armed with sword but no armour)
Camel warriors
Zebra Chariots
Irish Elk Javelineers

The Alliance of Bugs, Insects and Arachnids
Worm Archers (men shooting worms)
Mutated Army Ants(Larger army ants that attack like wardogs)
Spider Onagers(fire spiders, large large spiders)
Stink bug slingers
Four legged worms(act as cavalry with men riding them)
Cataphract Worms
Beetle warriors( infantry unit heavily armoured with swords and large round shields)

Large Land Animals
Elephants
Armoured Elephants
Mammoths
Armoured Mammoths
Archer Mammoths(These mammoths carry large towers with massive units of Archers)
Indian Elephants
Indricothere ( anyone seen Walking with Beasts then you'll know these babies. 1 or 2 per unit and huge carrying alot of archers)
Hippo riders
Baby elephant chariots
Rhino riders
Cataphract Rhinos(very well armoured, perhaps with 3 or 4 hp)

Birds
Ostrich riders
Emu Archers
Flamingo riders
Swordspenguins
Armoured swordspenguins
Emporer Penguins
Falconers(they throw falcons like javelins
Eagle Throwers
Parrot chanters(they chant like druids and screeching women, they could have a parrot attatched to their arm?
Pigeon pooers( using the animation where barbarians point to their bottoms, pigeons could fire poo, or slingers could do it.
Turkeys(like wardogs)
Vultures(reduce morale and act as wardogs)

Feline and Canine Alliance
wardogs(collies or westies)
wardogs(german shepherds, more fierce with better attack)Handlers have good stats
Pet Fanatics(elite infantry armed with 2 handed axes or something fierce) if possible add I love pets on t shirt)
Scavenger cavalry(large foxes with raccoons on top)
Wolves(best wardogs)
Lions(best warcats)
Tiger Riders
Cheetah archers( men riding fast cheetahs)
Domestic cat (inspires friendly units)
Jaguar warriors(Elite Infantry who have jaguar skins over them throw javelins then deadly charge)
Grayhound riders

Bears and Marsupials
Bear hunters(basic weak infantry unit humans)
Kangaroo archers
Koala Phalanx
Armoured Koala Phalangites
Black bear warriors(armed with long sword large shields)
Panda Archers(men riding them)
Polar Bear riders
Megatherium riders(again walking with beasts, very large and should be based on model of large elephants to be able to chuck things in the air)
Brown Bear Javelineers(bears chucking javelins)

Rodents
Rat Scum infantry
Pest control Mercenaries(these are men armed to the teeth with shields and javelins)
Skunk warriors(terrify enemy but very bad fighters)
Rat Scum Phalangites(like levy pikemen, solid but not great)
Blind Mice fanatics
Squirrel Slingers
Weasel Riders
Otter javelineer riders
Warrats(deadly massive rats trained to bite anything)
Cheese Onagers(fire cheese with mice officers)or cheese ballistae(firing guda!)
Mice archers
Badger Riders(based on small elephants)
Anteaters(based on small elephants)
Armadillio infantry(good heavy infantry with armadillo armour)
Hare infantry(good light infantry)
Hamster legionaries(good solid heavy infantry)
Gerbil infantry(very quick light infantry)
Hamster Cavalry(very fast light cavalry)

Primates
Neanderthal warriors(armes with fearsome 2 handed clubs with spikes)
Homo Sapiens(basic guys with shields and no armour)
Gorrila slingers
Orang-utan raiders(experts at hiding)
Baboon taunters
Monkey warriors(spear)
Human Legionary Phalangites(the combination of two of the best troops of the ancient world-legionaries who form a phalanx)
Gorilla Cavalry(gorillas riding horses)
Gorilla Fighters(expert at hiding in trees)
Chimpanzee Hoplites(shorter spears than the humans and every other phalanx.)
Monkey archers

Farmers and their animals
Farmers
Armoured Farmers( both armed with pitch forks)
sheep carts(act as chariots but shaped like carts)
cow carts
donkey cavalry
cow cavalry
Horse cavalry(not as good as the other horses in the game)
egg slingers
Geese(released like warhounds)
Mule Archers(men on mules)

Reptiles and Amphibians
Lizard Men
Crocodile(like warhounds)
Turtle riders
Tortoise riders
Cataphract tortoises
Snake Infantry(men in snake leather armour
Adders(released like warhounds)
Boa COnstrictors(worse than the above for your enemy)
Steve Irwin Wannabes(elite infantry with leather armour from snakes and large swords/spears)
Released toads(hge and ugly and kill alot)
Human Toad Infantry(men with wart)

The draft factions:
Trees and Plants
Tulip warriors
Grass infantry(they are like a green strip with arms and legs)
Small trees( not many in a unit but powerful)
Large Trees(based on an elephant model. On all fours)
Gardener mercenaries(men)
Bullrush maces
Cacti Phalangites(very well armoured with shields)
Lavender warriors

Alot of these will probably be included if the mod is made, btu ideas are being taken and it is likely this list will still changed.

BassV2
04-20-2005, 07:00
jsut a question, like the llama clubmen, like are they going to have a club or something?

GaugamelaTC
04-20-2005, 18:40
Yeah they could have Inca Clubmen riding them. Not literally the LLamas carrying it (unless anybody wants it to lol)

BassV2
04-21-2005, 03:25
haha, so how's progress? Have you assembled a team yet?

Lonely Soldier
04-21-2005, 07:36
GaugamelaTC - Sounds like a great idea to me ~D ! There should be more of these crazy, fun mods around! Too much focus on history can become draining!

Bwian
04-21-2005, 15:25
This is a fun concept...but you will run into problems with the basic restrictions of the 'human' skeletons that ship with the game. This would make it very difficult to do any animals that couldn't fit into the dog/horse/camel/elephant/human set we currently have, both in terms of broad shape and movement.

Now....when I read the title, though, I was reminded of a very old story I used to read in 2000AD ( the comic that brought us all Judge Dredd etc )

It was called 'Meltdown Man' and involved a man blasted into the far distant future by an atomic expplosion. Unlikely....but there you go !!!

The future had seen all the wars etc. that people liked to predict, and the evolution of new technologies to replace the old, and had turned to bio-engineering to effectively create 'anthorpomorphic animals' as a kind of slave race. Naturally, these revolted, and there was conflict between the good guys and the bad guys! All the 'nasties' were the predator based species. Weasels, through to Polar Bears and Tigers. You basically would just need to 'humanise' the overall form, and put animal heads on. The size of the body could be scaled to give the correct relative sizes.

Just a thoguht ;)

GaugamelaTC
04-21-2005, 18:26
Yeah That sounds cool. You could have mutated men who have turned into creatures(although I do still like the idea of squirrel slingers hurling nuts).

Bwian, In response to your thought about fitting it into current skeletons, i think we would be fine. i mean this would be fantasy and it wouldn't matter if the movements weren't perfect. I always thought the camels looked kinda like Big Birds the way they moved! Bwian,have you got any modding abilities or dya know anyone with modelling capabilities. I think this mod would probably be only good for like multiplayer and custom battle, as their is no storyline for a campaign.

Lonely Soldier, thaks for your support. I agree that all these historical mods have a certain limit because of history.
Since I have no modding capability this is a callout for any people who could make units Skinners, modellers! If anybody knows anyone please ask them to get in touch by PMing me. I would just like to say that if this were to take off, then I wouldn't be boss or anything, I would just like to offer ideas and help anyone who made this.

Bwian
04-21-2005, 19:56
As far as modding goes, I can model Ok, texture a bit, and get the things working in game. Not sure how much free time I will have though. I am working on a 'robots' mod, and have some other things in the wings which are going to be eating into my modelling time!

Might have to limit myself to cheering from the sidelines

GaugamelaTC
04-22-2005, 21:56
Ok thanks anyway, perhaps instead of looking for modellers, maybe we could all get some ideas together to have something for possible modder to look at.

Isaacdaninja
04-23-2005, 09:13
I like the idia of a rodent: total war.

Posible factions:

Rats
Squirils
Hamsters
Hedgehogs
Mice
Gerbles
Moles

And have provinces like hamstopia and with cities like cheese city for the capital for the mice.

Isaacdaninja
04-23-2005, 09:17
As for modding the units i'm not so sure. You could get the pig or war dog models and try to make them look how you want and the find a way to give them a human skeleton with human animations but it would be hard, very hard

The Swordmaster
04-23-2005, 09:48
some music for this mod ~D : http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/llama.php

GaugamelaTC
04-23-2005, 20:42
You could just use the human skeleton! I would like to see squirrel slingers running like humans. As for your idea Isaac I like it, although I was hoping for more of an entire animal kingdom one. But your settlement names could come in handy lol ~D

Isaacdaninja
04-25-2005, 19:10
thx alot ~D hmmm. It could have the rodents as one faction because it's just greedy to try to create factions for every type of animal. Also I think it would be good to have some kind of fish people ~;) but I have no experience in makeing skins at all, and to get them walking on their fins would be hard too.

If you want bites for the animals the wardogs are your best bet. :book:

One last thing do you think it's posible to creat a troop that are normal but when they attack the enemy they send them 10 feet up into the air like elephants? Which would solve the problem of makeing supper human heroes. ~:confused: ~:confused:

Isaacdaninja
04-25-2005, 19:13
And if you need any idias for titals of cities and unis just ask ~;) ~D

kreig
04-25-2005, 19:48
lol, great Idea
Id be willling to help out if i could

GaugamelaTC
04-25-2005, 20:58
Thanks Kreig, have you got any modding skills? Isaac, thanks for the offer, if this mod takes off I'll be in contact! Dunno about the hero thing Isaac!

General Announcement This is an official call out for any type of modders!!! Whether your speciality be modelling txt editing or music whatever! contact me in someway either through this thread or PM me. Please include your skills etc!
Everybody thanks for your support, I think this mod could take off. Ideas are still very welcome!!!

Shigawire
04-25-2005, 21:44
:curtain: :wacko: :rolleyes3: :rolleyes4: :freak:

Isaacdaninja
04-26-2005, 17:13
I would be willing to help with unit modding skins/animations/models and the troop attributes but i'm no pro at modding. The Campaign map I will help with if I can later. I won't be able to make anything right away because I've got a lot of other things to be busy with right now.

I could easily find some animal skins off the internet. Theres bound to be some, (as in textures not fur coats).

Ah yes and to add a bit more humour to it change the sounds to something a bit more animal like.

GaugamelaTC
04-26-2005, 18:07
Okie Dokie. i think a campaign map is a bit far fetched for now, but tell me when you got some free and if I got another person to help with the units and stuff, then I will post faction lists,units and maybe faction symbols and concept art for the species stuff. Does that sound ok Isaac?

Isaacdaninja
04-27-2005, 17:38
Do you want Lizardmen/Hares/Mice rideing llamas and stuff instead of mere humans?

GaugamelaTC
04-27-2005, 17:56
I dunno, humans would probably be best because the skeles are already done, but I suppose we could have apes maybe or any other upright animal.

General Announcement: IN the posts above about the factions and units,these wll now be the official lists as decided on between me Isaac and Kreig, and anyone else on the team. Watch that space as it will be frequently changing and updated with new units/factions.

Isaacdaninja
04-27-2005, 18:14
Can I make the units of the Rodent Faction?

Like RAT SCUM INFANTRY!!!!!!!!!! YEAH!!!! (spear, shield, poor moral, aprox 100 in unit)
Hamster Foot Soldiers (Sword, Shield, Thrown Thing)
Mice Archers

And please post the faction list soon.

The_Ferret
04-27-2005, 18:23
I'll watch and see how this gos. It seems like a really good (and fun) idea

GaugamelaTC
04-27-2005, 20:06
Isaac, I like your idea and with the mod unit list, I'm gonna include animals using the human skeleton and being used as infantry! Hope you like what you see Ferret!

Isaacdaninja
04-28-2005, 17:46
llamas are just like camels so we shouldn't heve a problem there. But with most unit mods it's just the skins but for animals we need whole new models but not skeketons.

I'm going to try and create Rat Scum Infantry Models now but I wanted an R on the shields and I wanted to mod from Roman City Milita but I took a look at the texture and the shield texture is just a quarter mirrored 4 times. So I'll have to modd a hoplite or something like that because they have whole shield textures I think.

I will inform you when I've finished the model and whole unit of Rat Infantry with some screenies.

The_Ferret
04-28-2005, 17:50
llamas and camels missile units? (they spit)

GaugamelaTC
04-28-2005, 18:12
Fantastic, ideas for all the units are still welcome, the list is by no means final. Isaac, love the idea for rodent infantry! have onagers that fire cheese with mice as officers and the workers! For infantry, the animals should be able to walk upright or stand upright, so no horse infantry or anything like that, bears and rodents and penguins or anything like thatis great! Is that ok Isaac?
We need to do faction logos soon, does anybody know how to create, Edit them? I'm gonna post some more unit lists! Isaac what do you think of the current ones. Kreig is starting to reskin horses for the zebra units!

Isaacdaninja
04-29-2005, 17:32
That's great. I'm haveing a few minor problems with improting animations but no real problem. I still need to work out how to edit vertexes on units but 3d studio MAX Is a bit different than the programs i'm used to using. Do any of you know where the RTW unit.txt stuff is? I'm trying to edit some units but I don't know where they are to open.

Are they in Pak files?

GaugamelaTC
04-29-2005, 21:37
I think they might be in the Pak files, that's what I've heard anyway, what kinda weapons you given the rat scum? Swords probably the best but its up to you.

GaugamelaTC
04-30-2005, 17:51
Isaac. Have you decided which weapon your gonna use for the Rat scum infantry. Also for the rut scum phalangites, I was thinking you could have a mace for their secondary weapon.Isaacdaninja.

Isaacdaninja
05-03-2005, 16:53
I go with you on The Rat Scum Pha......s having maces as secondry weapons.
Rat Scum Infantry are going to have just spears and big shields like Roman Town watch.

GaugamelaTC
05-04-2005, 19:33
So what dya think of the 2 extra possible factions. Tha alliance of crustaceans and amphibious mammals and fish people. Is there eough variety in these groups to have a few units?

tutankamon
05-10-2005, 10:21
CRAAZY Idea ~D can't whait to see the result ~;)

GaugamelaTC
05-10-2005, 19:50
Thanks for your comments tutankamon! Isaacdaninja how are the rats coming along! I thought personally that regarding the other two factions we should not include them.. at least this version any way. What do you think?

Ginger
05-13-2005, 17:28
For the alliance of bugs and insects you need... dum dum daa

Human slaves in an insect nation (oo eee oo oo oh)

http://www.bill-bailey.co.uk/home.php

*GRIN*

GaugamelaTC
05-13-2005, 21:14
Ok guys sorry i've been away for a couple of days my internet is not working. I'm going to update the unit list tomorrow and include some drafts for the other factions. Plus a surprise faction draft!
General Announcement:
Callout for modders. We particularly need modellers and people to make units. Possibly music editors and campaign map editors. Also does anyone know how to edit the faction logos?

Ginger thanks for your ideas I'll include them in your name in the unit list on the first page. Have you got any more and would you like to help out here?
Everybody interested keep watching that unit and faction post its gonna be changing. I will start to introduce a new post for anything to do with a possible campaign. This is only if we can get a campaign mapper.

The Faceless Hoplite
05-15-2005, 16:58
Heavy Squirrel Infantry
80 per unit, spears, shields, fight in four ranks, good morale, can sap, defend well vs rats

Guinea Pig Trackers
swords, smalle shields, light armour (like chainmail), short bows, fast, can sap, average morale, 80

Hedge Hog Heavy Pikemen

pikemen, good morale, 100, medium shiels-damn good armour due to spikes, no sapping (too big and lumbering for tunnels)

Mole Medium Infantry
Can can deploy anywhere (try that out), 80, armour, swords, shields, average morale, may run amok(their blind eh?).

Gerbil Cavalry
fast moving, javelins, shields small, no armour, swords.

Mice Ballistae(have a wild guess)

Hamster Legionaries

how bout it folks?

GaugamelaTC
05-15-2005, 17:15
I like it faceless hoplite! Especially the gerbil cavalry. The rodents haven't got much cavalry. The hedgehog phalangites I think would be a great inclusion. Thanks for your ideas but we may not be able to include all of them, as there are already a lot of rodent ones.

Isaacdaninja
05-21-2005, 12:33
Yeah the Rodents need some kind of cavalry. I don't really think we should have the two extra factions, it will just take too long and will clog up everything. We need to keep it quite simple otherwise we are overloaded we to-be-created-units.

And (wait for it) NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My Rome: Total War disk has snapped in two, I know it's a fiendish crime but I ask for salvation and will get another one, (it was disk one to, just my luck) and I still gant find those unit txt files, help me.

GaugamelaTC
05-21-2005, 17:14
Ok your right Isaac. What sort of unit texts do you need. What do they look like/say. I may not know how to mod but I know most of the folders pretty well.