PDA

View Full Version : ready........FIRE

Unit 35
04-18-2005, 23:56
been a bit frustrated with my school work so today i decided to have a go at one of the tasks GPM set me

The Iron gun
http://www.teestainstudios.co.uk/CTW/ready_ironguns.jpg http://www.teestainstudios.co.uk/CTW/ironguns.jpg

The model seems to float sometimes, the left wheel alpha map hasn't worked, the texture isn't amazing, and i am not 100% sure iam happy with the shape.

But anyway it is a start.

I have never came across the Iron gun before, i assume it is just a small atrillery piece used for close support of infantry, but i was wonder if one of you could give me some background about it.

I am probably going to get into trouble now for starting a thread instead of just posting it in the screenshot thread :dizzy2:

Anyway you might not see me for a few days while i do some more coursework, it is late and i must go.

Uesugi Kenshin
04-19-2005, 04:10
What is the iron gun?

From the looks of it it was an infantry support gun, by modern terminology, like the 37mm's in WWII. Doesn't look like it would be capable at any significant range.

On a related note did they have grapeshot, canister or exploding shell during our time period? I am pretty sure they must have had something like grapeshot during some of the time, but I do not know enough about the ordinance of the time.

GodsPetMonkey
04-19-2005, 06:40
Well as soon as your happy with the model, send it over.... I'll give you the email of two_roses and you can send him the texture (he beefed up my serpentine!).

Anyway, the one wheel not alpha'd problem is something I had, but I developed a working, but not perfect, solution to the problem....

http://www.users.on.net/~roehr/RTW/models/Serpentine/Action4.jpg

Yggdrasill
04-19-2005, 10:24
Iron gun is an unofficial name for a mid 15th century cannon, made of wrought iron bars (ie not cast) and having a very large bore (caliber) but a short barrel. The result is a powerful gun with a big cannon ball, but very limited range (it took some time for the makers to realize that the smaller the bore and the longer the barrel the better range you get and higher velocity of the cannon ball, thus more power in the shot - this is the next developement, serpentine).
Grapeshots were used but no exploding shells I think. Mortars were invented in the 17th century and spelled the end of the reformed Vauban type star forts.

You are right about its use. The name for such a piece does not exist as the soldiers of the time would simply refer to it as cannon or gun or whatever.

Uesugi Kenshin
04-20-2005, 03:46
I knew the name did not exist, just comparing it to something else with which I am more familiar.

What about Canister? It was like grapeshot but less brutal and longer range. My thought would be to give short range canon grapeshot as a special ability. If possible we could lower the gun's range and change projectile. Not sure if it would work, but it is similar to flaming Onager rounds. I believe oour time period does not cover any canister round time, however, if it covers a little maybe we could add a gun or two with canister rounds that come available late in the game.

Nice looking wheels!

Saranalos
04-20-2005, 18:19
Nice cannons...

I would wonder about the grapeshot idea though, I'm not sure it would be possible...

I've been having some problems with my e-mail account recently with not recieving e-mails from people. So if you send me an e-mail I might not get it. If anyone sent me an e-mail recently I haven't got it, my e-mail account or hotmail has messed itself up a lot... :furious3:

Uesugi Kenshin
04-21-2005, 04:14
I think it may be impossible, but if we could make it work it would be a great addition to the mod.