PDA

View Full Version : ChivalryTW Campaignmap releaved

Lord Adherbal
04-19-2005, 21:28
here are the first screenshots of the (new) campaignmap. Obviously everything is still work-in-progress.

NOTE: dont pay too much attention to the provinces (or who has what provinces), they will be altered a lot. I just based (most of) them on the MTW map so I had a working campaignmap that was more or less realistic. These screenshots are merely to show the graphical progress on the campaignmap.

french motte & diplomacy overview screen
http://users.skynet.be/Carthaginian/RTW/campmap12.jpg

London's donjon with stone wall
http://users.skynet.be/Carthaginian/RTW/campmap11.jpg

Irish and Scottish Landlord Estates (level 0 settlements)
http://users.skynet.be/Carthaginian/RTW/campmap13.jpg

Motte & Baileys from the Holy Roman Empire
http://users.skynet.be/Carthaginian/RTW/campmap14.jpg

The_Doctor
04-19-2005, 22:04
Wow, looks great. ~:)

Are all units going to have 0-turn build times?

Wishazu
04-19-2005, 22:09
looks good, i`d heard about a medieval mod for rome but wasnt really interested. Glad to say I am now :)

Monkwarrior
04-19-2005, 22:58
Adherbal']London's donjon with stone wall
http://users.skynet.be/Carthaginian/RTW/campmap11.jpg

Hi from Saragossa in Aragon (Spain). ~:wave:

Glad to see my town in the first set of screenshots of this wonderful mod.

Cheers. ~:cheers:

Lord Adherbal
04-19-2005, 23:05
Are all units going to have 0-turn build times?

it's still being discussed, but apart from a few exception I'd say yes. This mod tried to be realistic and "training" one unit each (couple of) turn(s) is far from realistic. Medieval troops usualy provided their own equipment and were called to arms by their lord. So the 1 turn between clicking a unit for production and getting it represents the time it takes to muster the army, not the time to train it. Only special elite units that were specifically trained/equipped by the state may require more then "0" turns to train.

Zharakov
04-20-2005, 01:09
Good job comrades

How long untill a relese would you say?

UpWithEvil
04-20-2005, 23:41
Can't wait! I D/L'd the beta and while it clearly has a lot more work to be done, the potential of this mod is blinding.

CA let me down - I'm counting on YOU to deliver the goods!

AntiochusIII
04-21-2005, 04:38
I admit I've never been interested in a Medieval mod for Rome until now...

Very good work indeed. Though I have some problems with your current campaign map. I believe the province creation/splitting is still WIP, right? Since many areas recieve extremely low number of provinces, like Greece, and North Africa, etc.

Rodion Romanovich
04-22-2005, 10:06
Very sweet indeed! I can't wait for this mod!

Only one suggestion: could you make Scotland, Sweden and Baghdad khaliphate own factions? Will Egypt be called Egypt or Mamluk empire - I prefer the latter? Will Spain be called Castile/Valencia/Navarre etc. depending on which one you consider most important or will it - which I'd consider much better - be divided in more than one faction? Even if you won't do that in the first release of the mod, maybe you could consider it for future updates of it. Those historical inaccuracies and lack of factions, respectively, were the things I found most annoying in the original M:TW...

At least Scotland as an own faction would be nice, given that they now seem to have 3 provinces instead of the 1 in M:TW. I'd love to send highland clansmen, schiltron spearmen/pikemen (whatever you like to call 'em) and almost no cavalry down through England and then conquer France and HRE with those troops... I have a few suggestions for implementation of Scots too: make their starting provinces extremely poor, but still keep good cavalry units in their unit rooster. That would well reflect how they couldn't muster a great cavalry force in Scotland but that they would have been able to do so if they'd conquered provinces further south.

And a question about cavalry: will they be extremely expensive to limit construction of cavalry somewhat so the player won't create all cavalry armies for factions like for example England etc. who didn't have much cavalry, but keep cavalry costs lower for people with cheaper horses and more horse-related culture like the muslim factions and the mongols?

Finally, will you use the phalanx formation from vanilla R:TW to depict any spearmen/pikemen? Even though it wasn't called phalanx during the medieval period I still believe the formation well depicts most types of spearmen by forcing them to slow down in order to be able to keep a good formation for spear fighting when moving into an enemy unit.

Finally I also wonder if you'll limit elite units in a way so that most armies will consist mostly of medium or low-quality units with only a few elites. Have you considered many training turns, high costs etc. for that?

Otherwise I'm really impressed by your work, and I'm really looking forward to some sweet medieval battles with R:TW graphics and campaign map!

Lord Adherbal
04-22-2005, 16:50
Only one suggestion: could you make Scotland, Sweden and Baghdad khaliphate own factions? Will Egypt be called Egypt or Mamluk empire - I prefer the latter? Will Spain be called Castile/Valencia/Navarre etc. depending on which one you consider most important or will it - which I'd consider much better - be divided in more than one faction? Even if you won't do that in the first release of the mod, maybe you could consider it for future updates of it. Those historical inaccuracies and lack of factions, respectively, were the things I found most annoying in the original M:TW...

At least Scotland as an own faction would be nice, given that they now seem to have 3 provinces instead of the 1 in M:TW. I'd love to send highland clansmen, schiltron spearmen/pikemen (whatever you like to call 'em) and almost no cavalry down through England and then conquer France and HRE with those troops... I have a few suggestions for implementation of Scots too: make their starting provinces extremely poor, but still keep good cavalry units in their unit rooster. That would well reflect how they couldn't muster a great cavalry force in Scotland but that they would have been able to do so if they'd conquered provinces further south.

we only have 20 factions so that's not possible (unless we remove more important factions). They also need to represent something trough th entire period so factions names have to be boring like "egypt", cos the mamluks didn't exist until the high era.

And a question about cavalry: will they be extremely expensive to limit construction of cavalry somewhat so the player won't create all cavalry armies for factions like for example England etc. who didn't have much cavalry, but keep cavalry costs lower for people with cheaper horses and more horse-related culture like the muslim factions and the mongols?

yes

Finally, will you use the phalanx formation from vanilla R:TW to depict any spearmen/pikemen? Even though it wasn't called phalanx during the medieval period I still believe the formation well depicts most types of spearmen by forcing them to slow down in order to be able to keep a good formation for spear fighting when moving into an enemy unit.

yes

Finally I also wonder if you'll limit elite units in a way so that most armies will consist mostly of medium or low-quality units with only a few elites. Have you considered many training turns, high costs etc. for that?

probably very high upkeep costs, so you can't efford to have tons of them walking around. But I still have to check if the AI doesn't bancrupt itself that way.

Rodion Romanovich
04-23-2005, 18:46
Ok, that's good enough. Hopefully the BI expansion will increase faction limit to 30 or more so you can implement scots etc. then. In any case, good work and I hope you get ready soon so I can play this thing!

Zharakov
04-24-2005, 21:29
Question:

I don't see anything that looks like the GOlden Horde on the map...

Do they just appear or are they there just not see able...

Can they be played?

Myrddraal
04-24-2005, 22:15
This is great stuff! I must say I can't wait :smile:

Lord Adherbal
04-25-2005, 16:54
I don't see anything that looks like the GOlden Horde on the map...

actualy if you look carefully you'll see they have Cyprus and Jerusalem. Yep, that's how finished the province layout and distribution is :P

RedCoat
04-27-2005, 21:03
Are the Hungarians modelled on the Scythians, or have you opted for Mongols instead? Probably worth mentioning Hungary was a rule unto its own concerning warfare and tactics

ShadesWolf
04-30-2005, 08:16
Have you done any work on the cities yet, in changing the charactoristics of the tiles and building within the cities ?

Lord Adherbal
04-30-2005, 08:34
yes, it's being worked on

Shahed
09-01-2005, 12:59
Are there any new screenshots of the campaign map ?

Kor Khan
09-01-2005, 13:44
In the near future we'll be releasing some previews on various topics. the campaign map will be one of these.

Pewe
09-01-2005, 15:32
Very sweet indeed! I can't wait for this mod!

Only one suggestion: could you make Scotland, Sweden and Baghdad khaliphate own factions?

Sweden become one country about the beginning of the 13th century. And the borders was very different from today. And Sweden had no real importance until the beginning of the 17th century.So there is no need for a Swedish faction I think.

Helgi
09-02-2005, 17:36
Ok, that's good enough. Hopefully the BI expansion will increase faction limit to 30 or more so you can implement scots etc. then. In any case, good work and I hope you get ready soon so I can play this thing! Or the Flemish or Burgundians.http://www.rometotalrealism.com/webmedia/sarmatians.jpg

Lord Adherbal
09-02-2005, 17:39
well BI doesnt increase the limit, so it's not gonna happen. Blame CA