PDA

View Full Version : Pontus PBM campaign

orcorama
04-20-2005, 22:59
heres a thread for any pontus pbm related stuff

Craterus
04-22-2005, 16:22
Yes, I think we should use this thread rather than the "new PBM campaign" thread. ~D

econ21
04-22-2005, 16:32
Craterus and Orcarama, I wonder if we should reserve this thread to be for the PBM write-ups? Maybe at some stage Craterus can edit his post above this one to insert a write-up? I can edit this one to write-up my 10 years? We could leave the other thread to go over logistics. The "new PBM" thread serves this logistical function already, so we could use this one for stuff that other people might want to read without having to wade through boring administrative posts.

Craterus
04-22-2005, 18:57
Do you have to do write-ups? I did keep notes just in case but what are they for, just to tell people what it's like playing as a certain faction?

econ21
04-22-2005, 20:26
Do you have to do write-ups? I did keep notes just in case but what are they for, just to tell people what it's like playing as a certain faction?

It's usual to do write-ups. Part of the idea is to let later players know how the faction got where it is. They can be fun to read and write if you try to get in character or find an interesting narrative approach. Here's an example of one of my write ups that I am most satisfied with (story starts on around post 25 in the thread):

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=32036&page=1&pp=30

Crumbs, re-reading that makes me remember how much better the battles were in MTW. I confess I'm finding write-ups a little harder to get inspiration for in RTW than I did in MTW.

Craterus
04-22-2005, 20:33
Looks good, I'm going to try and write a story for the Mead Hall, regarding my next campaign.

Tricky Lady
04-24-2005, 17:22
I finished my turn. It's now 240BC, and the Pontic treasury is healthy again. I didn't conquer much (only captured 3 provinces). The battle against the Egyptians were imho not so easy. There was one where they fielded something like five regular chariots + 3 general's units... I managed to win that battle, but I can surely call it a Pyrrhic victory. I started with 560 men vs +- 900, and only 290 survived. I haven't suffered such bad losses against any other faction yet in RTW.
And: :furious3: in the heat of the battles I forgot to take screenshots!! :wall: Grmbl; if only there were a reply function on the campaign level of this game. That's somehting I really miss when playing PBMs...
I still have some savegames though... Perhaps I can reload a battle just for the sake of taking screenies... :thinking:

----------------------------
I guess I should reserve this post for a write-up then?

econ21
04-24-2005, 17:49
That was fast work, TrickyLady. If you are having trouble with the uploader, do you want to e-mail me a zipped version of your savegame and I'll upload it for you?

Orcorama is next in line. I've PMd him to see if he can load 1.2 savegames. Hopefully, he'll respond here.

Tricky Lady
04-24-2005, 18:29
I don't know why, but I can't connect to the totalwar.org page... All other web sites load properly except anything with totalwar.org in it. Very strange.

I have sent the savegame to your mailbox. It would be great if you could upload the savegame for me, tnx.

econ21
04-24-2005, 20:17
OK, thanks, TrickyLady, the save game is uploaded as Pontus240.zip. We're waiting for Orcarama to post whether he can load the game. Other players wanting to join in would be welcome.

orcorama
04-25-2005, 02:18
the :furious3: 1.2 patch had the same error as before :furious3:

ill try to reinstall again [grr]
ill post whether or not it works
so if lilgannon wants to go or craterus again go ahead
ill tell you guys if and when it works

Craterus
04-25-2005, 21:16
Littlegannon is still having problems with his disc so it's my go again? :grin2: I don't mind, I can wait for you or littlegannon because this stage in the game is probably the funnest before the steam-rolling end of the game, it'd be a shame for you to miss out on the good bit.

orcorama
04-28-2005, 02:41
craterus if you have the 1.2 patch( i assume u do) can u download the file "orcoramapontus.zip" i just uploaded it so it should be towards the top

if it works please post

cunobelinus
04-28-2005, 10:38
i am gettin my game tomroz so i will be able to play tomroz or saturday so i am ready as soon as everyone else is

econ21
04-28-2005, 11:15
Orcarama - have you played your 10 year reign?

i am gettin my game tomroz so i will be able to play tomroz or saturday so i am ready as soon as everyone else is

Good. If Orcarama has done his reign, you would be next in line to play (after that, we return to Craterus if there are no other volunteers.) Can you download orcoramapontus.zip and get the savegame to work?

Craterus
04-28-2005, 16:47
I can do it tonight.. but I will let littlegannon paly if he is getting RTW soon.

orcorama
04-28-2005, 20:03
craterus did u try that game?
if it worked then i will be almost done with my reign if not then lilttlegannon can take the savegame

Craterus
04-28-2005, 20:10
May as well let littlegannon have his turn before I take over. Then I'll have to clear up the mess he has made. j/k

orcorama
04-28-2005, 20:30
so you know that is my 1.0 campaign version
i want to see if that works with every one elses version
i never got the PBM campaign to work

Craterus
04-28-2005, 20:34
mmmm.. i think we could download yours and the things would be changed to 1.2 but you can't convert games from 1.2 back to 1.0

econ21
04-28-2005, 20:48
I'm sorry but if Orcorama can't get 1.2 to work, I can't see how he can participate in this particular PBM. I think Littlegannon should pick up TrickyLady's savegame, Pontus240.zip.

orcorama
04-28-2005, 20:53
the savegame i uploaded is my personal campaign that i thought maybe you all could go from there and i could sort of have a part in the PBM campaign

if you dont want to do that ill try and work out something for the next campaign

the campaign is about 240 BC i think

Tricky Lady
04-29-2005, 18:30
Please guys, tell me what Simon Appleton puts in the "New PBM campaign?" thread is not true: we are going to post write-ups of this Pontus campaign, right?

Not that my write-up will be so fantastic (rather the contrary) but write-ups are an essential part of PBM's.

Will you start up a Write-Up thread for the Pontus PBM then, Craterus?

tnx

Craterus
04-29-2005, 18:44
Oh dear, sounds more like a chore but if I have to ... lol

econ21
05-02-2005, 15:40
This campaign is in danger of stalling. If Orcarama can't get 1.2 to work, he cannot continue the PBM campaign that Craterus, TrickyLady and I have already got underway. We need someone to continue that campaign, picking up TrickyLady's savegame. I have PM'd Littlegannon to see if he will take it up. Then I propose we recycle in order through the original players unless someone else wants to join in.

Mount Suribachi
05-04-2005, 21:34
Here's an example of one of my write ups that I am most satisfied with (story starts on around post 25 in the thread):

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=32036&page=1&pp=30

Simon, all your write-ups are something you should be proud of :bow:

Craterus
05-04-2005, 21:58
Littlegannon has RTW again now and should have donwloaded and begun the Pontus PBM, after that I'll take over again.

Craterus
05-14-2005, 21:33
What is happening to this PBM??? I haven't heard anything about it in almost two weeks. Who played last?

econ21
05-14-2005, 22:58
Littlegannon had the last savegame. If he does not pass it on soon, I think you we should recycle through the old players - ie you should take the next turn, Craterus, and I'll follow you.

Craterus
05-14-2005, 23:49
I saw him a week ago. He had downloaded the game, I'm not sure if he has finished yet?