PDA

View Full Version : Turn Based Battle System(Working Title)

Xiahou Liao
04-21-2005, 05:02
I dunno if someone has done this before, but my friend and I were bored, and decided to do this. We have equal soldiers and such, exactly! We split our armies into three different smaller armies, had a left and right flank and a center, we called the "HQ".

The first engagement was on Scipii's right flank, we codenamed

Day 1.

After the first engagement was over, the routing forces had a choice to either return to battle real fast or retreat to the Main line(HQ). After the 1st engagement was won by the Scipii(Me), I "camped" my troops on that part of the field. While they were resting, we went to the other flank and engaged there.

Day 2.
The Engagement on this flank was won by the Senate, but what he calls a "Pyrrhic Victory", because he saw it as he lost most of his troops on that side. I lost my whole flank. He moved his troops to his HQ Main line, while the armies prepared for Day 3.

Day 3.
On Day 3, we sped up time, Triple, after preparing formations. I decided to move my Camped troops to my main line and eventually formed a Crane Formation.

Day 4.
After a little bit of resting, we marched on each other, and I decided the Crane would not be appropiate. So I made an improvised Echelon left( I think that's what it's called. ). After a little review, I had a feeling I was going to lose.

Day 5.
The armies march upon each other again and finally, engage in combat. My formation smashes into his, and my cavalry comes around the right flank.

I'll stop here, watch the replay to find out what happens, and how we did this, it's actually quite interesting and I got more adreneline out of this than the normal "quick" battles.
Scipii Versus Senate, Turn Based Battle System (http://www.totalwar.org/Downloads/Rtw_Uploads/Replay/ScipiiVsSenate.rpy)

Wishazu
04-21-2005, 11:15
whats the "crane formation"?

Ginger
04-21-2005, 12:17
Something from STW I think. Dunno why you wouldnt just use the generic RTW "Bludgeon With a Big Stick" formation ~;)

Xiahou Liao
04-22-2005, 04:00
It's a battle formation that "looks like a crane spreading it's wings."

It's used to place the most vulnerable unit in the center, and varying units as the wings. It's meant to flank.

Xiahou Liao
04-23-2005, 18:59
Hmm from trial and error, it seems to me the best way to play this system is with Balanced armies and/or the same exact army as the opponent.