PDA

View Full Version : Just a little question

Nightbringer.woc
04-23-2005, 10:19
Firstly good work on what looks to be a very beautiful looking mod, and as a history student I'm very happy about this. The main question I have to ask is quite a small one, but a personal pet peev I have witht the current R:TW campaign map. They have simply put the capitol of Briton as Londinium, now you mentionned that you were renaming alot of the provinces etc. and I was wondering if you were going to correctly change the capitol. As I am sure at least some of you history buffs are aware, the Roman capitol of Briton was actually Colchester.

GoreBag
04-23-2005, 16:59
I imagine they have, since the presence of Londinium immediately jumps out as being completely nonsensical, but I can't answer for the EB team.

Sarcasm
04-23-2005, 17:01
We´re indeed changing the Capitol from Londinium.....but you´ll have to dig up a better name than Colchester.... ~;)

Big_John
04-23-2005, 18:21
camulodunum was the roman name for the catuvellauni capital, right? what was the pre-roman name?

Nightbringer.woc
04-23-2005, 22:52
I've searched on the internet but haven't been able to find anything. All I can tell you is it was Iceni before hand, but obviously you already knew that. I think its going to be very hard to find out the Briton name for it. Maybe if you want to link it to its previous occupants call it by their tribe name Catuvellauni, or the tribe that they took it from Trinovantes.

*edit* I just found this on a site, hope it helps:

"It was the capital of King Cunobelinus (or "Cunobelin") (Cymbeline in Shakespeare's play and "Old King Cole" of the nursery rhyme) when the Romans invaded Britain in 43 A.D. Later it became a colonia[?] when the Roman frontier moved north. It was completely destroyed during Boudicca's rebellion in 61 AD."

GoreBag
04-24-2005, 19:42
Post the link to that, will you? That's some pretty interesting stuff.

Sarcasm
04-24-2005, 21:31
Camulodunum, thats it.

And I did the search for you Neon and its a wikipedia article I believe......

GoreBag
04-24-2005, 21:43
Whoa, pre-Celtic settlement. Thanks to both of you.

khelvan
04-25-2005, 09:57
Actually, we're calling it Camulosadae.

Sarcasm
04-25-2005, 16:45
Well....yeah, Camulodunum is the latinized version...my mistake.

Nightbringer.woc
04-25-2005, 17:26
I couldn't find the original site but I stumbled across a site with lots information including the sacking of it, and the legions raised there etc.

http://www.roman-britain.org/places/camulodunum.htm

Hope this helps, let me know if you need any research done.