PDA

View Full Version : Can someone help me with MP problem?

Cealin
04-24-2005, 13:27
Hello all, I have a BIG problem, I already posted this at the rometotalwar.com forums, but I think totalwar.org forums are much better. So here is my problem:

Heya all,

I have a big problem, and I tried everything to fix it, but it all didn't work..

So here is the situation;

At my home we have 2 computers, on both computers we have RTW installed (yes, with 2 legal diffrent cd keys). We can both play online fine, but when we join eachother in any game, it never shows up the 'start deployment' and the game crashes.

I have tried all things; a router and a hub, a router alone, a hub alone, and also that one computer gain the internet and gave it to the other with a crosslink cable.

Still we can't play togheter in the same game

You guys have any idea what I can do about this?

This was what a helpfull member replied:

Sorry --- you probably will not be able to play against the other RTW player in your home, notwithstanding that you have two legal copies of the game. The reason for this is that you have one internet connection. This connection has to be split to connect two computers to the internet. In order to do accomplish this, a router or one of the computers forwards infromation calls to certain "ports" on each computer. In order to Play RTW, both computers have to SIMULTANEOUSLY share information and data across THE SAME PORTS. This is not possible with one internet connection. It is "how stuff works".

If you were to get a DSL and cable connection, you could accomplish your goal as you would now have two SEPARATE internet connections.

Olorin I

So is there NO way for me to get me and my friend playing in the same MP game? We really want to play 2on2 online, or at LANs 4on4 online..

Someone if you knows a fix? Or a program of some kind that can fix this port and IP problem?

Thanks in advance.

{TBC}Cealin

NihilisticCow
04-24-2005, 15:27
The problem is you can only forward a port to one computer, and I don't think Gamespy allows you to configure it to use different ports (this is a way for other games - have each computer using a different port so the router can be configured to forward appropriately).

The only real way I can think of solving this problem is for you to get multiple IP addresses (that you will have to pay for) and assign each of the computers you want to play on one of these unique IP address. If you are considering this, contact your ISP for more information. I haven't tried this personally so this is just in theory, but it should work.

Wishazu
04-24-2005, 18:42
i heard about some1 using some kind of tunneling software?????? but thats about as much as i know. sorry

Puzz3D
04-25-2005, 17:15
Tunneling software only works if both ends have it. GameSpy doesn't have any tunneling software on their end. The other idea of buying an extra ipaddress from your ISP and running the machines off a hub (not a router) should work and won't require any special setup. If you want the protection of a router, you'll have to use two routers or a software firewall on each machine. You also might be able to forgo the extra ipaddress and run one machine as a proxy server using software such as Wingate with the second machine connected to a second ethernet card (NIC) in the proxy server machine. With this setup, the second machine can only access the internet when the first machine is running. I've heard that this works, but never tried it.

Shambles
04-25-2005, 18:02
Win gate is a tunneling software,.
Which often causes more problems than it fixes,

Im prety shure game spy can tell you how to conigure your router.

You should be able to set up your Network so that 1 pc conects to the internet and the second is asigned its own ip adress,
However,
becous only 1 pc connects to the internet and you connect through that it could cause problems,
You dont need win gate to set up this configuration, But youd probably end up with the same error,
im shure youd get the same problem using wingate

Internet tunneling tools are used for VPN
They suposedly forward UDP's to the VPN , becous VPN will not use UDP.
UDP's are needed for you to se a game to join it,
So a tunneling tool would only work if you were trying to set up a VPN game,
However.
They dont really work that well either.

You could try using a no-ip account,
and set up no-ip to forward incoming trafic to the second pc on the network,
However you would also need game spy to identify your pc as a no-ip adress,
This is probably impossible,

I would concider asking the people at Game spy how to configure it properly,
as they are the hosts.

Hope that helps a little.
But i doubt it will

ShambleS
:bow:

AMP
04-25-2005, 19:12
Hmm i'm no pc expert or even close, so i'm not even sure if i follow you guys right.

I can use the same internet connection with 1 ip going from 1 pc to the other pc and join my own games and play with no problem.

I have it setup where my internet connection goes to 1 pc by USB and out by ethernet card to the router to the other pc by a ethernet card.

No idea why it wouldn't work for you...

Swoosh So
04-25-2005, 21:10
lol where did u pop up from?

Olorin I
04-29-2005, 19:47
@ Caelin:

Thanks for saying I am helpful. The two IP suggestion is what I was driving at, and the suggestion about two IP's from your ISP andthen using a hub should work ---- but you will need two separate IP, and not one from a normal home network router setup

@ Amp:

All games are not the same. Your set-up should NOT work for RTW across gamespy. IF it does, then I am baffled ... but then again I often am.

Olorin I