PDA

View Full Version : Historical Research.

Ignoramus
04-25-2005, 03:52
Celtic Winter and I have agreed to halve the historical research between us.

I will do the General's names etc. 5 faction descriptions: Burgundy, Scotland, England, Kalmar Union, and Saxony. Territory allocations for the factions.

Celtic Winter will do. 14 faction descriptions. Landmarks. Popups in the Campaign.

We will both do the Wonders.

In this thread we will post our information.

Ignoramus.

Ignoramus
04-26-2005, 08:26
Here is the updated faction descripiton for Scotland:

"The Scots were originally an Irish tribe, but fully gained control of Scotland in the mid 800's from the Picts. Great rivalry exists between Scotland and its southern neighbour, England. The "Auld Alliance" still exists between France and Scotland, as a precaution against an English invasion. In Scotland, there is a mix of Celts, Picts, Gaels, Norse, Saxons, as well as Scots, which creates a unique and separate identity.

Expansion for the Scots is limited. To the west, lies the vulnerable Ireland. But the English also desire Ireland. To the south, England will present a real challenge, with its well-trained army and rich lands. To the east lies the newly formed Kalmar Union, a strong union between the crowns of Denmark, Sweden and Norway. The Kalmar Union will be a difficult and dangerous opponent and may dominate the North Sea.

The main core of a Scottish army is its spearmen and pikemen. Scottish pikes and spears have always caused problems for English knights!"

Well, how's that now?

Narayanese
04-26-2005, 16:11
This section I think you don't need:
"Overall, Scotland is a hard faction to play. For a successful Scottish ruler, expanding quickly is the key. If you take too long, you'll get smashed by superior English armies. The Scottish economy isn't all that strong either, so money will be hard to come by."
because it's obvious once you start playing.

Something about the relation with france, and the english war, should be there instead.
You should should reangange those stick-in explanations to make it easier to read, eg do something about the sentence "But the Scots must be quick to take over Ireland, before the English, who also have their eyes on Ireland, invade" because it takes two readings to get it, not sure what to do.
Overall your description is good, concise, covering most of what's important.

Myself I've done 8 of the eventscreens now, but I'm afraid I'll draw many from the same author.
Also found an atlas, here it is with scotland highlighted (for th screen where you choose faction).
http://img36.echo.cx/img36/9897/mapskottland0bx.jpg (http://www.imageshack.us)

Duke Malcolm
04-26-2005, 17:29
Perhaps you could say "The Auld Alliance between Scotland and France has existed since the days of Charlemagne." and refer to the fact that it is a mix of germanic types, celts, and norse types. Refer to the trade between Scotland and the continent (althought I don't know how much of it there was after 1402). oh, and how the leader would have to keep the peace in the highlands as well.

Uesugi Kenshin
04-27-2005, 03:38
I agree with Maclom and Narayanese, overall pretty good, but you should make those adjustments.

Ignoramus
04-27-2005, 03:53
Alright, I'll edit the post with the adjustments. If we mention the Auld Alliance, shouldn't we make Scotland allied to France?

Narayanese
04-27-2005, 14:14
I think the alliance formed in 1415, between scotland and france.
The scottish invasion in 1388 seems to have nothing to do with the french, but don't know really.

Ignoramus
04-28-2005, 01:35
No it was formed it about 1290, I think, That's why Edward I invaded Scotland.

Taffy_is_a_Taff
05-01-2005, 00:18
Nope, Edward I did not invade Scotland because of a Scottish Alliance with the French.

Taffy_is_a_Taff
05-01-2005, 00:29
Firstly, The Auld Alliance probably originated in the reign of William the Lion (12th century). It had NOTHING to do with Charlemagne.

Secondly, don't put anything about the Scots being an Irish tribe etc. as what you wrote was slightly innacurate. You could say "the Kindom of Scotland, forged from the Dalriadic and Pictish kingdoms of the mid-9th century, expanded by the addition of the Welsh Kingdom of Strathclyde and the former Northumbrian region of Lothian during the 11th century.

Also, Ireland still had a significant English presence at the the start of the mod's time frame (so it's not like the English only desire Ireland , they used to rule almost all of it but lost ground in the 14th century)

On a slightly different note: at the start of the time period England was in turmoil after Henry IV's usurpation of the throne. The north underwent several major revolts that almost toppled Henry IV. The northeners were allied to Owain Glyndwr who had freed Wales after a century of English occupation. Basically, on the British Isles map you would need: rebels in northern England, rebels in most of the west of Ireland, rebels in Wales and, if you can split Scotland, rebels in the west of Scotland and the Highlands as the power of the Scottish crown was extremely limited in this area (consider the Battle of Harlaw; the Lords of the Isles were still boss in the west).

Ignoramus
05-01-2005, 07:48
Celtic Winter wrote a Naplese faction description. He sent it to the citadel email address.

Uesugi Kenshin
05-01-2005, 14:09
Thanks, I will take a look at it tonight, but right now I don't have time.

Taffy_is_a_Taff
05-01-2005, 19:22
I was just wondering, I have two masters degrees in the relevant periods of history for this mod. As an undergraduate I did plenty of study on the earlier periods of European history.

Is there anything I can do to help you with the descriptions etc?

Celtic_Winter
05-01-2005, 21:27
that would be fantastic! I think I might need a little faction description :help: with some. I will pm you about it sometime.

Taffy_is_a_Taff
05-01-2005, 21:44
you do that, I'll see what I can suggest (temporarily an ocean away from my own books and usual research libraries).

Uesugi Kenshin
05-03-2005, 03:34
The faction descriptions look good CW, just run them through a spell checker and they should be ready.

Celtic_Winter
05-03-2005, 11:13
The faction descriptions look good CW, just run them through a spell checker and they should be ready.
I'll take care of that.

Ignoramus
05-08-2005, 21:41
How do I check your faction description Celtic Winter?

Ledung
05-09-2005, 21:30
Hi!

Great work, this is the mod I am looking forward the most to!

Being relatively new to posting in this forum, I have not had the time to read through most of it yet, so my apologies if this is posted in the wrong place.

www.thearma.org

they are Western Martial Artists (yours truly a member), så there is TONS of info on swordsmanship, old combat manuals as well as many other sources that I think could interest you.

Hope it might help/Ledung

Narayanese
05-09-2005, 21:41
Oh, I'm a member of ARMA Stockholm.
Here is ARMA Stockholm's page on techniques:
http://www.nada.kth.se/~jsh/hobby/tekniker/

Uesugi Kenshin
05-10-2005, 03:27
Welcome to the Org!

Thanks for your enthusiasm and the linky.

Cronos Impera
05-13-2005, 19:15
How well will the romanian nation be represented in-game? Will there be an independent Moldavia or Wallachia? If there will be than I propose the following dinasty: for Moldavia " the Musat dynasty" starting with Petru Musat as a faction leader and Ion, Alexandru, Radu,George, Stefan etc. as possible family members.For a capital I firmly sugest Cuhea.If I can I will aid you with historical backgrounds on the "carpathio-danubian space"

With regards, Cronos Impera.

Narayanese
05-13-2005, 22:28
Nice to see you're interested.
Wallachia and Moldavia will be rebel, (there's some chance that'll change, if BI expansion gives more faction slots). There will be a wallachian horse archer, have a look in the screenshot thread. Transylvania will be hungarian territory.
The starting year is 1402, at that time I believe Alexandru was the ruler of Moldavia and his capital was Suceava, and in Wallachia the ruler was Mircea cel Bătrân with the capital Curtea de Arges.
I wonder about religion in transylvania, moldova and wallachia, since the choosing of rebel groups will be decided by this. Were transylvania and moldavia catholic while wallachia was orthodox, back then?

cheers!
Narayanese

SnowlyWhite
05-16-2005, 19:04
All of them were orthodox; Romanian is an orthodox country.

Transilvania, being for a long time under hungarian/austro-hungarian rulership, there was a rather large hungarian and german minority(thus catholic). But all three were orthodox.

Narayanese
05-16-2005, 20:54
Transilvania, being for a long time under hungarian/austro-hungarian rulership, there was a rather large hungarian and german minority(thus catholic). But all three were orthodox.

OK. Thanks.
I was confused by the hungarian influence on the area.