PDA

View Full Version : Triarii

Rodion Romanovich
04-25-2005, 17:24
Just a question: will triarii be represented by having the phalanx formation special ability? just yes or no?

Sheep
04-25-2005, 18:20
I am not part of the mod, but there seems to be two versions of triarii in EB (maybe?). Anyway the earlier one seems to be armed and armored like a Greek phalanx, so I would assume they can go into phalanx. Then the later version are our normal vanilla-style triarii (getting a facelift, I'm sure), but I am not sure if they can, or would want to, pull off the ol' phalanx.

Aymar de Bois Mauri
04-25-2005, 19:00
Just like Sheep said. The early Triarii fought with greek style tactics and equipment (phalanx included). Later, after a lot of setbacks against Celts and other Latins (Samnites mainly) the Romans adopted the more well known formation and equipment presented in vannila RTW.

jerby
04-26-2005, 15:35
there are two screenies, one with roudn shields with medusa heas i believe and another with 'normal' triarii getting insane details. how will EB reflect the way romans dumped the phalanx?

Rodion Romanovich
04-26-2005, 17:07
Just like Sheep said. The early Triarii fought with greek style tactics and equipment (phalanx included). Later, after a lot of setbacks against Celts and other Latins (Samnites mainly) the Romans adopted the more well known formation and equipment presented in vannila RTW.

Yes, I knew about roman real life triarii using more greek style phalanx early. What I wanted to discuss was just implementation. To illustrate what I mean, I can mention that a certain Medieval mod even uses the phalanx ability even though there weren't exactly phalanxes in the Medieval era, just because it illustrates well how you had to slow down to hold formation in battle. Anyway, you sollution seems good, pretty much what I wanted as it reflects limited mobility of early and slightly more mobility for late.

Anyway, since the answer was "yes for early, no for late", I have to ask: how will the units perform compared to each other? Which of the units get best kill/death ratio when taking a cavalry charge heads-on, and what unit can handle charge to left flank, right flank and rear better, and how much better? Also - which unit wins and heads-on engagement early triarii vs late triarii? And finally - how strong will triarii be compared to the average greek and macedonian line-filling phalanx troops?

cunobelinus
04-27-2005, 11:09
but isnt this later than that they were not using phalanxes as far as i no but i do most of my reasearch on germany !!!!!

jerby
04-27-2005, 14:33
EB is considering a change in starting time. so it might apply. so might phryrrus and much more matters.