PDA

View Full Version : Flag and other game changes after Patching.

Orion12
11-05-2000, 14:12
I just installed the 1.12 patch on my PC and must say that I have noticed a significant improvement in gameplay.

The first thing I noticed was that rival clans immediately send their emissaries out to me at the first of the game. Before they NEVER EVER tried to make an alliance with me. Now every game they're sending out proposals left and right which saves me the time of sending my emissaries everywhere.

Another thing I noticed is that it's a lot easier to obtain Legendary Swordsman. In fact once I played, and my VERY FIRST battle of 240 Yari Ashigaru against 360 Yari Cavalry I decimated them by perching my small army on a hill in some trees and had them charge out head on and decimate the cavalry with 138 kills and losing only 32, and I immediately obtained my Legendary Swordsmen.

I also LOVE the fact they the sieges have been modified, where sieges no longer always deplete the fortified army by half every season. But something that is REALLY flawed is an occurence where I had whittled an army of monks down to 1 man and I attacked the castle and let the computer fight. I lost 184 units to 1 warrior monk. I couldn't believe this so I attacked again and let the computer do the fight automatically and I lost over 200 more units to the same lone monk, HUGE FLAW.

I have also noticed that the Hojo (most of the time) no longer obtain their "Horde" and sweep Japan which I am very happy about, although it does still happen occassionally.

Something that NEVER happened to me before I got patched, was assassination attempts on my Daimyo. The computer had never ever done this before but when I played just after installing the patch within the first year, 2 assassination attempts from Imagawa against my Daimyo were made and failed. About ten years into the game a third attempt succeeded. Fortunately I had an heir though and my shinobi found the assassin and made him pay.

Also I noticed that my battlefield units seem much more smoother and vibrant looking and generally maneuver more cohesively BUT a flaw that has occured on my computer with battlefield units after this patch kinda bothers me but does not hamper gameplay.
This flaw is that of the individual unit flags.
I ALWAYS play as Oda and they use that mustard color banner for their units. But after installing this patch I noticed that all my enemies use the same colored flags which can cause confusion if you're not paying attention. However this does not happen in every case.

Let me further explain. When using Oda say I go to fight Mori whose color is red. Well on the battlefield all the troops little flags attached to the guys are now Oda's color accept fot the Taisho who carries the tall banner which is remains red.
However this only seems to occur on basic units such as Yari Ashigaru and Yari Samurai. When Warrior monks are employed they carry the correct flag oolor for the army they are in yet no other unit does. So far Warrior monks are the only ones that I have noticed that carry the correct flag color on the battlefield now.
This doesn't hamper gameply but kinda detracts from the look of the battle when you see two huge armies carrying all the same flag color fighting eachother.
I hope this will be fixed. I though at first it may have just been my computer being wonky so I uninstalled and reinstalled and put the patch on again but the same thing has happened.

Anssi Hakkinen
11-05-2000, 19:06
Quote I just installed the 1.12 patch on my PC and must say that I have noticed a significant improvement in gameplay.[/QUOTE]I hope there isn't a typo there, but 1.12 isn't really a single-player -improving patch, it just fixes multiplayer issues. It however incorporates the 1.11 SP patch, so it might be more correct to speak about the 1.11 fixes. Well, anyhow.
Quote 240 Yari Ashigaru against 360 Yari Cavalry
138 kills and losing only 32[/QUOTE]Very well done, by the way. I wouldn't dream of that kind of result with the ordinary low-honor ashigaru (but maybe yours were Oda).
Quote I lost 184 units to 1 warrior monk. I couldn't believe this so I attacked again and let the computer do the fight automatically and I lost over 200 more units to the same lone monk, HUGE FLAW.[/QUOTE] http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/biggrin.gif http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/biggrin.gif http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/biggrin.gif
Please don't be offended, but I laughed my head off, I couldn't help it. Apparently the auto-resolve algorithm behaves strangely with really small enemy armies. But I guess it's not a terrible bother to go to the tactical battlefield to kill the guy, so this is not a game-killing bug in any sense.
Quote I have also noticed that the Hojo (most of the time) no longer obtain their "Horde" and sweep Japan which I am very happy about, although it does still happen occassionally.[/QUOTE]I don't know if it statistically happens less often, but it still does happen, it hasn't been fixed. Maybe someone killed Hôjô quickly at the start, it's been known to happen.
Quote This flaw is that of the individual unit flags.[/QUOTE]This is very likely an individual computer flaw, because nobody has, to my knowledge complained about it before. I've played with 1.11 a lot, maybe even most of it with Oda, and I've never noticed this. Perhaps you should ask Erado-san (at the tech problems forum).

------------------
"The ancient rule declares that letters are the left hand and militarism the right. Neither must be neglected."
- Hôjô Sôun

red_xavier
11-05-2000, 20:04
Hi all,

I've also noticed the individual flags problem. But it usually happens when a horde of my men surround a few enemy.
It doesn't hinder gameplay that badly, but it is definitely a patch problem as I didn't have it beforehand.

Hopefully they'll fix it next patch (as well as give us all those cool strategic options we've always wanted - I can hope can't I?)

------------------
Cool Red

The Black Ship
11-05-2000, 20:11
I had heard about the flag color problem over at the community forum. Perhaps your answer lies over there, buried in a thread. For the life of me I don't know how you'd find it in all that mess though http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/wink.gif

It was a hot topic for a week, and then...Silence! Someone must've found the cure http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif

Makino Kenta
11-06-2000, 06:29
I've never seen this happen myself, but that doesn't mean much, as I haven't been playing very long.

Could it be a vid card issue and not a patch issue? or perhaps a combo, something in the 1.11 or 1.12 patch that changed how the game works with some vid cards?

And I had to laugh about the one monk taking out so many of your forces too... Wow that's one study dude http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif

BanzaiZAP
11-07-2000, 01:35
That flag bug was something that has been around since the demo, in a few guises. Most important - what kind of video card? People who had the Diamond Stealth III (I think) had a variation on this, where those little flags would cycle through all of the colors of all of the armies on the field. When you had five different armies, all of the tiny flags would be changing colors, and you really didn't know which soldier belonged to which army. The larger Unit flags were fine, but the tiny individual ones would cycle. I just got a VooDoo, and the bug went away.

Maybe this should be taken up in Erado's section?

-- B)