PDA

View Full Version : The Fifty Percent Rule

Tomisama
05-03-2005, 13:08
The Fifty Percent Rule

The fifty percent rule says that you can only spend half your money on mounted units, the other half goes to infantry.

10k per player? Then 5k can be spent on horses, chariots, camels, and elephants. 20k then only 10k etc..

Easy to implement, as you can pick your general and cavalry units first, using up to half the denarii allotted per player for riders, the balance for foot troops.

If this makes some factions unplayable for you, then don’t play them! This game was not designed with multiplayer in mind. Hopefully they will fix it in the September expansion.

But even when it is fixed (crosses fingers that it will be) so that all factions can be played, I believe that the fifty percent rule will still be the best “reasonably realistic” and “fair play” standard for our community.

What say you…

Voigtkampf
05-03-2005, 15:06
Hahaha, as I saw the title I thought “my better half won’t like this”! :laugh4:

Perhaps as a guideline, yes, but not as firm rule. CoH followers will hopefully prove not to be spammers. Few percents up or down, who cares? ~;)

Craterus
05-03-2005, 17:00
Scythia?!?!?! 50% axemen? I don't think so.

NihilisticCow
05-03-2005, 19:27
I've played Scythia a number of times with a max 5 cavalry rule... They don't have decent melee infantry (axemen are a speed bump) but they do have chosen archers and onagers to go with Head Hunting Maidens, which are quite often more than enough...

Craterus
05-03-2005, 19:40
Head Hunting Maidens are cavalry. Even I would need some decent infantry in my armies.

NihilisticCow
05-03-2005, 19:49
Yes, and you're allowed spend up to 50% of your money on cavalry...

I'm not exactly suggesting Scythia are particularly strong under this rule, but can cope in 1v1 - axemen + chosen archers (who are actually not bad at melee) providing melee pinning for a while for a flank attack with HHMs. There's much less of a issue in team games.

The Hun
05-03-2005, 21:40
This is just silly talk. Every rule dictates how a player must play. This is what spam armies have reduced RTW to?
Each faction in this game has unique abilities but 50% rules and such will make this pointless.
Always people must find the edge. Well done spammers RTW MP is a waste. Total War games are a waste if this is how things are

Tomisama
05-04-2005, 03:51
My suggestion was not intended as “rule” for Code of Honor signers.

The CoH is not about rules, it’s about behavior, showing respect for your fellow players, and accepting personal responsibility for the future of our community. There will never be any specific rules attached to The Code.

What I am offering is a “rule of thumb” that can be proposed when hosting, to help acquaint the general population with “a common sense of fairness”.

“No art, no ele, no fire, and 6k cav limit (in a 12k game).”

Just provide the example, and don’t be concerned about verifying. It’s a guideline, like Voigtkampf said might be acceptable to him. You will be able to tell if they have grossly ignored what you have set out. You will then know that you can’t trust them, and won’t have to bother yourself with playing them in the future.

And there are a number of factions in Rome that are “totally unrealistic” in unit choices. Just don’t use them, they are bogus anyway. Multiplayer is in bad need of development in this area. Like I said, I hope they will fix this in the expansion pack.

And hey, and if people complain because you “wont let them cheat” with ridiculous armys (OMG)”, cha-you know what! Bye…

Please just think about it. Maybe try it?

~;)

Voigtkampf
05-04-2005, 05:58
Well, as I’ve said, I wouldn’t mind playing under such rules, but since I play for fun and not primarily to win, I won’t spam and create ridiculous army compositions, with or without those rules. If I see people doing that, then I won’t play with them in the future. I suppose it is self-understandable.

When I enter a game, I want to see a good, healthy, fair fight, without spam armies consisting only from chariots or cavalry (which I have seen more than once). I want to see an opposing army consisting from several types of units, making the game funnier.

Sad day that we must compose these rules, but it is how it is.

Tomisama
05-04-2005, 12:26
Yes, it’s not the Code signers that need the rules :bow:

But the vast majority of the community are not bound by any internal conscience.

They just don’t understand the consequences of an “anything to win” philosophy.

The veteran community of three years in the making has been decimated, with only remnants remaining. And now the immigrant first person shooters are running each other off. It is only a matter of time before the size of the multiplayer community shrinks to the point where it will no longer be supported by the developers.

We only represent about one percent of sales to start with. That just barely makes it reasonable for them to provide server support (really grace on their part). And from what I understand Rome almost “did not” have a multiplayer, and probably why it is so underdeveloped.

We need each other. And we need to play in way that works in a positive direction to build a large and strong multiplayer community. Otherwise we may wake up one day to find that multiplayer is no longer an option in the Total War series…

Please read The Code.

And please sign, and join with us to do what we can to make it better.

Salute!

Voigtkampf
05-05-2005, 07:29
The veteran community of three years in the making has been decimated, with only remnants remaining. And now the immigrant first person shooters are running each other off. It is only a matter of time before the size of the multiplayer community shrinks to the point where it will no longer be supported by the developers.

We only represent about one percent of sales to start with. That just barely makes it reasonable for them to provide server support (really grace on their part). And from what I understand Rome almost “did not” have a multiplayer, and probably why it is so underdeveloped.

In the words of crazy Irish from Braveheart: “Either way, we’re focked!” :laugh4:

Perhaps the things will get better when the MP community shrinks?

But before that, the exp will come. Oh well, let us sit tight and wait it out. :book:

Shambles
05-05-2005, 10:16
I bet you people wish you could go back to the past and tell genghis Khan what hes doing just isnt fair,

RabidGibbon
05-05-2005, 11:05
I bet you people wish you could go back to the past and tell genghis Khan what hes doing just isnt fair,

If cavalry were half as all conquering in real life as they are in R:TW we'd all be speaking mongolian today ~D .

I've recently been playing multiplayer games with a 6 cav max rule which tends to produce reasonable non spam games, but that admitedly doesn't stop someone taking just 6 uber heavy cav and pumping them full of steroids.

A 50% rule is better thought out but a little bit harder to explain in that awful little chat window when everyones rushing to get started before game spy disconnects them! It would be good for tournaments and pre-arranged games.

Shambles
05-05-2005, 12:06
cant you just change unit stats?
balence em out a bit, then use that?

id imagine that would be the better way,
I used to use rtr mod But still wasnt enough to keep my intrest.

I never did like being told what to do and how much i can spend on 1 thing over another,
And its prety depressing that rules like this need to be brought forth,

Id say better balanced units stats would work or making cavalry more expensive.

Tomisama
05-05-2005, 13:23
Well actually the idea came while reviewing the rules for the next Clan Wars Competition games. Trying to provide the most in the way of cavalry spam protection, with the least amount of choice limitation.

Same unit maxes and numbered cav caps really hobble creativity, so was looking for another answer. Of course with the contest, logfiles which would be submitted for scoring proofs, could also be quickly scanned to insure that only up to fifty percent of the money was used for four footers.

In day to day hosting, just setting a ‘k’ limit on mounteds of “half” total set per player, didn’t seem to be all that big of a deal. It provides “an example” of what you are expecting. They either follow it or not. And you know when you are being spammed.

no art, no ele, 6k cav max

Try the half n half concept on your self the next time you’re picking units. Select all of your cavalry first, keep an eye on the price tag ~;)