PDA

View Full Version : Hellenic PBM

SwordsMaster
05-04-2005, 18:43
Ok, seeing the proliferation of barbarian campaigns here (Not that I have something against them dirty and hairy beer drinkers *looks proudly in the mirror* ~;) ),

Who would be up for a Greek cities/Macedon/Seleucid campaign?

Initial rules open to suggestions:

Greek Mod (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=46285)

Battles: Medium
Campmap M or H depending on faction.
LArge unit size

5 provinces minimum, 10 provinces maximum per reign, if the leader dies below 5 provs, you keep playing up to 5, if you conquer 10 and the leader is still alive, you can hand over, or continue playing with no further expansion until leader dies.

So Who's up?

:bow:

Craterus
05-04-2005, 18:50
I don't have the Greek Mod, otherwise I'd be interested.

SwordsMaster
05-04-2005, 19:47
I don't have the Greek Mod, otherwise I'd be interested.

Thats why I gave you the link, so you can d/l it ~;) .

I havent actually tried it, but it appears to make the "greek experience" much more enjoyable.
The only experience I have playing hellenic factions is some 12 turns in a Seleucid campaign And they could use a few improvements.

Craterus
05-04-2005, 19:53
I don't really play the Greek factions a lot, so I won't bother d/l it.

RabidGibbon
05-04-2005, 20:18
I'd be up for taking part in this pbem providing I can succesfully download and install the mod.

There are two downloads on the page you provided the link to. Which do you propose we use, The extended or minimal mod?

I have no real preference for any of the 3 hellenic factions, although if pushed into a corner and beaten over the head with a stick I'd probably go for the greeks, having played macedon before and being half way through a seleucid RTR campaign at the moment.

orcorama
05-04-2005, 20:25
[QUOTE=RabidGibbon]I'd be up for taking part in this pbem providing I can succesfully download and install the mod.
same here

i dont care which faction though i would lean towards greek or macedon

SwordsMaster
05-04-2005, 21:52
Personally I´ve never played the Greek Cities either, so thats perfect.
Actually I would prefer the "Extended" mod. I´m going to d-l now and see how it plays.

*cross fingers so I dont screw up and have to reinstall the whole game*

EDIT: The XTD download is only 6.5 mb anyway. Not that big

orcorama
05-05-2005, 06:16
ok once yall have it working ill be glad to download and play

(im not from the south)

SwordsMaster
05-05-2005, 09:27
It works, and I actually find it really enjoyable, except for the fact that some of the cities would be a bit more developed IMO. But thats fine and its pretty well balanced.

I started a campaign as the Greek Cities to try it out, and it plays very well.
It comes with a self installer and a few skins for the spartan hoplites.

RabidGibbon
05-05-2005, 10:54
I've downloaded it and got it working. Had a quick custom battle and it seems interesting.

SwordsMaster
05-06-2005, 09:30
So, any more volunteers? Any other suggestions for factions? We could kick off tomorrow if everyones happy...

Dooz
05-06-2005, 11:08
The Extended Greek Mod is one of my favorite mods. Whoever participates will love it. The best faction to play with that mod is the Greek Cities, as those get the most units and it's just better that way ~:) . I think I'd like to join this PBM. Never have before, but seems fun.

SwordMaster, do you think it possible to change the rules a bit? For example, one's reign lasts as long as the current leader is alive, so it's like your that person. Then the next person on the PBM list will take over as the faction heir.

Oh and here (http://www.twcenter.net/downloads/db/?mod=484) is the newest version of the mod. I think the link you put up was 2.0 This one is 2.1.1

SwordsMaster
05-06-2005, 13:13
Cheers for the link mate.

Yes, the ideal would be to play one faction leader each, but As some live longer than others, I thought establishing some limits would be appropriate.

SAy if you take the game when the current FL is already 68 and only lives 4 more years, it would make the game too short, wouldnt it? So if you r faction leader dies before you conquer 5 provinces, you can continue til you get 5. If he dies after you've conquered 5, you hand over the turn. The maximum limit is needed to prevent finishing the game in 2-3 turns by blitzing.

Anyways, Im open to suggestions

PS, Greek Cities seem great to me.

orcorama
05-06-2005, 15:54
ok should i d/l the greek mod now
that is, is everyone happy?

Dooz
05-07-2005, 06:13
Ya I realize those possibilities for cases like that, but that would kind of make it interesting. You don't have to play a perfectly balanced game. This way it's a bit more realistic or interesting, 'cause you never know when you're gonna go. You just do what you can during you're reign, and when your time is up, it's up, no matter how long or short. If everyone is open to the idea, it should be fun.

SwordsMaster
05-07-2005, 11:24
Well, if everyone agrees, thats ok with me...

RabidGibbon
05-07-2005, 11:57
I dont mind passing on when the faction leader dies, however I do think the maximum provinces conquered (in one reign) rule should stay in place.

And no changing heirs to some doddering old 70 year old with a heart problem..... ~;)

SwordsMaster
05-07-2005, 15:36
I dont mind passing on when the faction leader dies, however I do think the maximum provinces conquered (in one reign) rule should stay in place.

And no changing heirs to some doddering old 70 year old with a heart problem..... ~;)

I think we should maybe establish a rule of "youngest heir inherits"?

RabidGibbon
05-09-2005, 23:28
Seriously, I only posted that message in a moment of light heartedness, I dont see a problem with allowing the AI to chose heirs and then sticking with them.

I dont think anyone would be malicious enough to change the heir to a really old guy.

Shall we put together the starting list of players and get the ball rolling?

SwordsMaster
05-09-2005, 23:41
Ok, so the conditions:

Greek Cities, M/H Large XGM mod above

Order:
me
Craterus
RabidGibbon
orcorama
Wonderland

I would prefer to stick to the 5min-10max limit but I´m flexible on this.

I´ll try to kick off this week.
We could actually do a second run after the first one asn we´l probably only hold some 30+ provinces. We´ll discuss that later anyway.

orcorama
05-11-2005, 02:15
sounds good

what out of the greek mod zip do I need the whole thing or do I just get the faction I want or what

also do I need the vanilla 1,2 patch installed for this to work

SwordsMaster
05-11-2005, 12:54
sounds good

what out of the greek mod zip do I need the whole thing or do I just get the faction I want or what

also do I need the vanilla 1,2 patch installed for this to work

Dont know about the patch, I do have the 1.2 patch and it works fine, you might want to check the readme if you are not sure.

You need to install the whole thing, first decompress it and then run the executable self installer.

orcorama
05-14-2005, 21:13
um ok i have a problem with the 1.2 patch so its doutful whether i can play
how the campaign going. have u finished? has craterus started?

Craterus
05-14-2005, 21:32
I'm not playing in it? As far as I know, I'm not. I will play but I don't have the Greek mod, just 1.2

SwordsMaster
05-14-2005, 21:58
I dunno how is that going to work.... Anyway, just started the game, should upload the savegame tomorrow.

Craterus
05-14-2005, 22:04
Ok cool. You'll have to work out how it's gonna work as you go along. Maybe that will be as fun as the campaign.

SwordsMaster
05-15-2005, 17:08
f :furious3: k!!

Sorry, guys, I messed up something yesterday when trying out something and now Direct Draw refuses to work, I have to reinstall Windows media player and a few more things and I cant play RTW now as the game doesnt display properly. Well, actually it only displays superposed layers of the main menu...

If anyone knows about a quick fix I´d appreciate the help, otherwise the campaign will have to be cancelled or posponed indefinitely (ie, unitl I can fix it after I´ve figured out what went wrong)

Again, sorry about that.